Pulse pro with Exhale bag

• Thread starter dreamnfox
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Anthem

Anthem

Alright since this is a thread about CO2, lets clear some things up.

Atmospheric CO2 is about 400PPM.

Desired is 1200 (for the sake of this post, YMMV)

@dreamnfox has a 4x4x8 (not sure on the height but close enough)

So 128 cubic feet approx. It will actually be less, so this is conservative.

1 pound of pure CO2 is 8.7 Cubic Feet.

You want it to be 800PPM increase, or .0008X

Hopefully you see where I am going with this, we are dealing with minuscule amounts of CO2. CO2 makes up .04% at atmospheric and we want to go to .12%. A small leak in the tent will leak 99.88% Nitrogen, Oxygen and other gasses and only .08% of the CO2 you are injecting. And only then if you are pressurizing the tent.

When my CO2 controller asks for a shot of CO2 from the tank, it runs about 5 or 6 seconds, and does that maybe 3X per hour. It is not a continual usage, and at night is zero. Size and stage of growth also a factor.

FWIW my basement sits at about 525PPM when I am not growing, and gets up to 575 or so when I am running both 4x8s and injecting. So yes, leaks but the cost is pretty much irrelevant if you are paying $41 for 870 Cubic Feet of it.

I just don't want anyone to be scared away from CO2 if you have a good reason to use it. It can be a game changer in terms of yields and growth rate. The cost is a tiny fraction of the ultimate reward, and can even SAVE you money since you grow faster so you get the same amount of end product while running your lights, etc for less time.
He is right but one thing that was not mentioned is he has a mini split hanging in the tent so there is very little leaking out of the tent. Also in you consider CO2 is heavy and wants to settle at the floor it might even be less leakage.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

He is right but one thing that was not mentioned is he has a mini split hanging in the tent so there is very little leaking out of the tent. Also in you consider CO2 is heavy and wants to settle at the floor it might even be less leakage.
Correct but we are talking about a sealed room however you do it. Under CO2 plants don’t mind high 80s in temp. Low 80s is better tho. If you don’t have good cooling CO2 can be a part of the fix. But the mini split is obviously ideal so you have total control over VPD and set points.

However you do it you have to seal the room.

@dreamnfox can you put the bag and the pluse pro in a large box for a couple hours and see what happens?

Anthem

Anthem

Correct but we are talking about a sealed room however you do it. Under CO2 plants don’t mind high 80s in temp. Low 80s is better tho. If you don’t have good cooling CO2 can be a part of the fix. But the mini split is obviously ideal so you have total control over VPD and set points.

@dreamnfox can you put the bag and the pluse pro in a large box for a couple hours and see what happens?
Moe Red I have never found the plants to like much heat, anything over about 83 they start getting pissed off for me. That is with CO2 enrichment and I have ran it as high as 1500. So I usually shot for 81 or 82. I have found that to be ideal for me.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Nice read, thanks moe

I definitely plan on trying co2 in the near future

41$ for the air, how much for the tank?

That’s not bad at all compared to everything else you’d spend for a decent grow.

And after fast turn around

I leased the tanks from the welding supply. I think they were $199 for a 5 year lease and $41 refills. They are really heavy so it’s easier to bring the hoses to the tanks than the tanks to the grow. I just put them right inside the garage door so I just need to lower them from the bed of the truck to where you see them.

Get the beverage tank (aluminum vs steel which is way heavier) if you get the large tank (but it’s like $50 extra). Your back will thank you.

Last edited:
Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Moe Red I have never found the plants to like much heat, anything over about 83 they start getting pissed off for me. That is with CO2 enrichment and I have ran it as high as 1500. So I usually shot for 81 or 82. I have found that to be ideal for me.
I’m not suggesting to try for that high a temp. Bugbee did testing on this varying temp and CO2 amounts and to summarize 82F and 1200ppm are the sweet spots but it is strain dependent.

This is my LED tent right now

B4ED74AE 264F 478E 83CE DD1C94EC809A

On my HID tent I let it get up to 82 average.

dreamnfox

dreamnfox

Alright since this is a thread about CO2, lets clear some things up. Atmospheric CO2 is about 400PPM. Desired is 1200 (for the sake of this post, YMMV) @dreamnfox has a 4x4x8 (not sure on the height but close enough) So 128 cubic feet approx. It will actually be less, so this is conservative. 1 pound of pure CO2 is 8.7 Cubic Feet. You want it to be 800PPM increase, or .0008X Hopefully you see where I am going with this, we are dealing with minuscule amounts of CO2. CO2 makes up .04% at atmospheric and we want to go to .12%. A small leak in the tent will leak 99.88% Nitrogen, Oxygen and other gasses and only .08% of the CO2 you are injecting. And only then if you are pressurizing the tent. When my CO2 controller asks for a shot of CO2 from the tank, it runs about 5 or 6 seconds, and does that maybe 3X per hour. It is not a continual usage, and at night is zero. Size and stage of growth also a factor. FWIW my basement sits at about 525PPM when I am not growing, and gets up to 575 or so when I am running both 4x8s and injecting. So yes, leaks but the cost is pretty much irrelevant if you are paying $41 for 870 Cubic Feet of it. I just don't want anyone to be scared away from CO2 if you have a good reason to use it. It can be a game changer in terms of yields and growth rate. The cost is a tiny fraction of the ultimate reward, and can even SAVE you money since you grow faster so you get the same amount of end product while running your lights, etc for less time.

I am out of town till Saturday but i certainly will when i get home

Anthem

Anthem

I’m not suggesting to try for that high a temp. Bugbee did testing on this varying temp and CO2 amounts and to summarize 82F and 1200ppm are the sweet spots but it is strain dependent.

This is my LED tent right now

View attachment 1250568
On my HID tent I let it get up to 82 average.
What week of flower are you in?

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Back to the thread...

I think your pulse pro is reflecting reality. Between the low performance of the bags and the fact you are not sealed, there is no way for those exhale bags to make an impact on CO2 in your lung room, which is essentially what you are measuring there.

I have a preconceived notion that exhale bags will not do anything meaningful even in a sealed grow. It would be really neat to see if I am right. Ideally it would be interesting to put the bag and the CO2 monitor in a space roughly the same size as your tent and see what the impact is over an hour or so. If you cannot raise CO2 a measurable amount in that time, there is no value because the plants will consume CO2 at a measurable rate in the other direction in a sealed room. If your plants take up more CO2 than the bag produces, you have to add more bags or go back to using a lung room.

At $32 a bag, that's the same price as 50 pounds of pure CO2 in a tank. Think about it a second... The bag weighs 4.29 pounds. Even if you got 100% conversion to CO2 which is impossible, its still doesn't make sense. I'd be very surprised if you got the equivalent of 1/2 pound of CO2 - and the bag lasts 9 months? So veeeeery slow release. Your plants will outrun it. I think! 🤔

dreamnfox

dreamnfox

Took me a while to try this but here it goes. I placed the bag in a curing bucket, with the pulse pro. It has a recharge battery but not sure how long it lasts. I will post the first screen shot, then a few more today to see if we get a rise.

20220610 104557
20220610 104557
Screenshot 20220610 104634 Pulse
dreamnfox

dreamnfox

Think inam going to try putting the bag lower in the tent. I read somewhere to try it on the floor, opposite of intake. I had it hanging over my fan, halfway up the tent

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

OK so I'm weird, but I would take that sensor out and put it back in the tent.

Let the exhale do it's thing in the bucket for a while.

Put the bucket in the tent. Turn off the exhaust fans for this. Then open the pail again and see if the CO2 is enough to raise the level in a larger space.

dreamnfox

dreamnfox

OK so I'm weird, but I would take that sensor out and put it back in the tent.

Let the exhale do it's thing in the bucket for a while.

Put the bucket in the tent. Turn off the exhaust fans for this. Then open the pail again and see if the CO2 is enough to raise the level in a larger space.
Trying it now. I have a massage starting soon so i will put the bucket in after that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom