Quantum boards???

• Thread starter BigCube
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Noice! Mine are at least a month from the lungs. My last grow is long gone and I'm back to dispensaries lol. Good for variety 🤣

I have found that the closer i get to only feeding what they use the better they taste sooner.

This one had 8 days in the dry closet and then dry trimmed. I think the dry trim helps too.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Yes the rspec chart is the first one i would even consider.

I will likely build or buy a strip/bar lamp. I would like about 500-550 watts i think. I should be able to get the lamp closer than the hps grow a bit bigger plants and increase yield without more heat.
This is what makes led so controversial. They are complicated and if you don't understand all the little differences between them you can get fucked on a purchase. Granted the most important part is intensity spectrum is still important. Imo unless you have someone that knows about led that can point you in the right direction a new grower is better off with HID.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

This is what makes led so controversial. They are complicated and if you don't understand all the little differences between them you can get fucked on a purchase. Granted the most important part is intensity spectrum is still important. Imo unless you have someone that knows about led that can point you in the right direction a new grower is better off with HID.

But then they couldnt sell the led building hobbyists a new better system every year.

I will wait another year or two for the rspec stuff to get old then pounce on the now old stuff.

Because of course by then they will have the zspec. Again. Amazingly .975 better in efficiency and has christmas “flash” mode.

;-)

BigCube

BigCube

With the v2 respec I think MH would be better. They have the far red

I've heard and from data sheets I've seen, that the far red and ultra violet LEDs dont produce anywhere near the amount of light (however you want to measure it) as white leds.

So you get the space ship problem.
The more weight you need to get in to space, the more fuel you need to get it out of the atmosphere. More fule= more weight = more fule = more weight...

You're using your wattage to power leds that arent as strong, so you have to double up on them, taking even more of your wattage, making less wattage for the white light. Add on top of that the output of lm301b's, makes the red ones even less effective.

So while there may be a bit more of red in your spectrum, it comes at the expense of wattage that could or might be better spent on the more efficient and effective light.

Just my opinion there, I dont think the little bit of extra red you get is worth wasting wattage that could be spent on lm301b's. This is only for prebuilt light fixtures you pay for. If I was to build a led fixture from scratch, I would include red, and just use more wattage 🤣

BigCube

BigCube

You right Big Cube. My understanding of par was off. I went and rewatched this video to better understand.

I seem to have just focused on ppfd because in my mind that is the best way of measuring.

No worries man. Like you said. It's the internet, easy to get things mixed up.

If every led manufacturer included their ppfd that would be awesome. They dont include unimol, par, ppfd or anything good like that in the data sheet. If you're lucky, you get a spectrum 🤣

V

Vondank420

You right Big Cube. My understanding of par was off. I went and rewatched this video to better understand.

I seem to have just focused on ppfd because in my mind that is the best way of measuring.
100% ^^^ agree

V

Vondank420

I'm in need of light Sooon. I've had good results with light movers so what I want to do is get the best led light(s) to cover 4x4 But run that on a mover in a 4x8.
I like the idea of the cali light works controler and changing spectrum but if that's not beneficial let me know please.
( I'm not saying I want a Cali light but if it's a good option let me know)
What's the best options for 4x4 DIY or brand purchase...
Want the least number of units( dont want 10 different lights hanging off the mover unless it required) If i can get away with one or two great.
Thanks in advance...

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

@1diesel1 this is great info that could be stickied in the lighting section

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

No worries man. Like you said. It's the internet, easy to get things mixed up.

If every led manufacturer included their ppfd that would be awesome. They dont include unimol, par, ppfd or anything good like that in the data sheet. If you're lucky, you get a spectrum 🤣
Hlg does and if you look up the Samsung diodes I believe they do also

dextr0

dextr0

That guy has some more videos that pertain to what y’all are talking about too. Checking this one out now.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I'm in need of light Sooon. I've had good results with light movers so what I want to do is get the best led light(s) to cover 4x4 But run that on a mover in a 4x8.
I like the idea of the cali light works controler and changing spectrum but if that's not beneficial let me know please.
( I'm not saying I want a Cali light but if it's a good option let me know)
What's the best options for 4x4 DIY or brand purchase...
Want the least number of units( dont want 10 different lights hanging off the mover unless it required) If i can get away with one or two great.
Thanks in advance...
Honestly I think the ability to change spectrum is not where it needs to be. It's cool but unless you are going to do some serious research and testing I don't see the benefit. I'm also not exactly sure about how much this ability can affect intensity. I have nothing to back up those statements and haven't look into it much at all so just an off the wall guess at this point.

BigCube

BigCube

Hlg does and if you look up the Samsung diodes I believe they do also

I am talking about the individual led manufacturers like samsung and epistar.
Not the fixture manufacturers.

It's hard to trust fixture manufacturers readings. I trust a bit more the readings from guys with meters on youtube. I mean at least there you know any error in measurement arent going to be massive.

What you orginally replied to was me comparing epistar and samsung lm301b, actual led manufacturers (not fixture manufacturers). Samsung didn't include those numbers in the data sheet I found. Nor did epistar.

It would be hard to find that data, someone would have to measure the ppfd of a single led from a set distance. I'd like to see it for sure. But the closest we get is dudes on youtube measuring fixture manufacturers specs.

V

Vondank420

Honestly I think the ability to change spectrum is not where it needs to be. It's cool but unless you are going to do some serious research and testing I don't see the benefit. I'm also not exactly sure about how much this ability can affect intensity. I have nothing to back up those statements and haven't look into it much at all so just an off the wall guess at this point.
Gotcha on the adjustability so with that being said and my situation what would you recommend. Obviously I want to save money but having the right light is more important than just low price.

BigCube

BigCube

Great news!

The actual alibaba website works good.
Dont even try from mobile. Good once your account and payment method is all setup. But if you're trying to start an Alibaba account and enter shipping/payment info... dont even bother on a phone.

Even got 10% off for being new.
I got the 240w 2700k lm301b prebuilt.
Shipped to my door for $197.78 cdn.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I've heard and from data sheets I've seen, that the far red and ultra violet LEDs dont produce anywhere near the amount of light (however you want to measure it) as white leds.

So you get the space ship problem.
The more weight you need to get in to space, the more fuel you need to get it out of the atmosphere. More fule= more weight = more fule = more weight...

You're using your wattage to power leds that arent as strong, so you have to double up on them, taking even more of your wattage, making less wattage for the white light. Add on top of that the output of lm301b's, makes the red ones even less effective.

So while there may be a bit more of red in your spectrum, it comes at the expense of wattage that could or might be better spent on the more efficient and effective light.

Just my opinion there, I dont think the little bit of extra red you get is worth wasting wattage that could be spent on lm301b's. This is only for prebuilt light fixtures you pay for. If I was to build a led fixture from scratch, I would include red, and just use more wattage 🤣
I disagree and here is why. You have different receptors for different spectrums. Green, blue, red ,far red, UV. Now if you grow with a blurple for ease of explanation. And the receptors for blue and red get closer to saturation photosynthesis efficiency starts to go down. Now if you add green while it's not as efficient to start with you have increased to total photosynthetic rate of the plant same with the rest.

So if you are running low wattage that is not reaching these points you are right. But for the grower pushing the limits of lighting these extra spectrums make a big difference when added up over the total amount of photosynthetic rate of a plant.

BigCube

BigCube

I disagree and here is why. You have different receptors for different spectrums. Green, blue, red ,far red, UV. Now if you grow with a blurple for ease of explanation. And the receptors for blue and read get closer to saturation photosynthesis efficiency starts to go down. Now if you add green while it's not as efficient to start with you have increased to total photosynthetic rate of the plant same with the rest.

So if you are running low wattage that is not reaching these points you are right. But for the grower pushing the limits of lighting these extra spectrums make a big difference when added up over the total amount of photosynthetic rate of a plant.

Very good point! I had not thought of that. So optimally, you would want more red and blue. Cause optimally you want to be at full saturation.

I'm convinced 🤣

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Gotcha on the adjustability so with that being said and my situation what would you recommend. Obviously I want to save money but having the right light is more important than just low price.
I have no experience with light movers. In terms of a fixture for led. I don't see anything that competes on a bang for buck basis over kingbright. Now if this is commercial and you need certified fixtures for insurance purposes then these won't be for you. If I was purchasing now I would look for the v2 respec that includes far red. If they had the option to add UV I would do more research and possibly add that too. Both can be added later but from what I have seen the v2 respec with the cree not epistar seem to be a really good option.

I run an hlg 600 in a 4x4 with CO2 and it's more than enough light. With a mover I'm not sure if you may be able to cover a 4x8 with similar since you can get it right up close to blast the plants. I would ask someone with experience with light movers

Top Bottom