San Diego, 1st indoor, 4x4 tent, soil, organic grow journal

• Thread starter stp
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

Just gave them more water this morning with the nutrients from monday, that probably isn’t suggested but I thought it was better than plain water. Thoughts?
Hum, I don't know and I've been dirt farming for some 50 years. I don't like to force grow in soil and go easy. Compost and manure tea weekly, a monthly tablespoon of blood meal and Espoma Bio-tone. When in flower I stop the blood meal.

I always mix fresh before watering. Will/could it hurt to mix and let sit for a day, two, week, month? Doubtful, but I have no experience to base it on. I would assume some chemical breakdowns would occur but that would just make it weaker, IMHO.

Now with coco and hydro nutes I can see the color change over time from a fresh mixing but I go through about 30 gallons a week and need to make up a few days worth at a time but I have seen no different results between fresh and 3-4 day old.

stp

stp

I am just trying to go easy on the nutrients if the Happy frog is fresh everytime I pot up, seems like less need for the VEGA (veg stuff) and just keep pumping the enzymes and cal mag. Until I see a reason why to it not to...just rolling along. Woke up to power issue today. Sucks renting. One outlet shit down, so did the electric wall heater running in my room, but not all outlets are down and the ones that are, tie to microwave in kitchen. Old place, minimal breakers. I flipped the breakers on and off. None of mine were off but the neighbors were...not good, I’d call the LL but not now.

Last edited:
stp

stp

I’ve been running fine with all the above...so maybe one circuit is tied to neighbor and they ran an electric heater too last night...

stp

stp

Watered about 6:30 this morning. They were droopy then, still kinda seem that way....maybe they are too big for the 1 gal pots already. If so, they have only been in these pots for about a week now...figured they would last two weeks in these pots, no?

54FDD677 231F 4F16 AC73 5E1E09C26108
Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

Your plants are looking very good and will live for several weeks in those pots, that is one of the major advantages of using fabric pots.

When I am running bottled organic nutes I do a feed, feed water schedule, if I am using mineral nutrients then I will more likely do a feed, water, feed, water schedule. In your case I would treat the Canna nutes more like mineral nutes, so do a feed, water, feed, water schedule; at least that is how I would do it. It doesn't look like your plants need the food now, but in soil food takes some time to become available to the plants, so don't avoid feeding because they look good now. However since your plants have only been in those pots for week I would wait a few days before applying nutes. Then use everything in 1/4 - 1/2 strength.

stp

stp

Your plants are looking very good and will live for several weeks in those pots, that is one of the major advantages of using fabric pots.

When I am running bottled organic nutes I do a feed, feed water schedule, if I am using mineral nutrients then I will more likely do a feed, water, feed, water schedule. In your case I would treat the Canna nutes more like mineral nutes, so do a feed, water, feed, water schedule; at least that is how I would do it. It doesn't look like your plants need the food now, but in soil food takes some time to become available to the plants, so don't avoid feeding because they look good now. However since your plants have only been in those pots for week I would wait a few days before applying nutes. Then use everything in 1/4 - 1/2 strength.
Midday they had peeled up. I’ll keep them in these pots for a while longer. The though I had about starting in a big 5 gal pot was so I could LST. I haven’t figured out how I can LST when I’m going from 4” to 1 gal, to 5 gal. Same issue goes for their nutrients. I’ve not been able to really give them their Vega nutrients because these pots are Happy Frog and it’s already got a few weeks of Nutrients to sustain them before they move to their bigger home and fresh soil again. Guess my solution is to make my own soil. Back to LST, hard to do when they are in small pots and I’m changing them out. So I’ve changed my plan on going full LST. I’m going to try once they get to their 5 gal home, but these stalks are huge already, these plants from seed are going to be thick and hearty before they hit the 5’s. Last night I FIM pinched the lower sides of one of these plants just to see how it goes. Four spots. I usually only do that to the top but wanted to see how that will impact the grow/yield compared to the others who have just had their tops FIM’d. These have been given nutrients three times in their life so far. 2nd, 9th, and 16th. Nutrients meaning the Bio Vega (N). They have always been getting rhizotonic, cal mag and cannazyme. Each time they got Bio Vega it was 1/2 strength or less. Like you said, I’m just trying to get it in there to start the organic environment building and working symbiotically.

Last edited:
Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

You can start your training in a small pot and then move up to a larger pot and keep the training. Its just a matter of retying down the branches after transplanting. I am never a fan of doing too many transplants, I try and max out at 2 transplants. So my plants end up in their pots longer than it seems you have been keeping yours in your pots. I need to apply food to them to keep them going. But I have never had a problem with plants getting too root bound, so I am pretty comfortable with how long my plants live in their homes. And even after a transplant to larger pots, if I have already applied food to the plants I will continue to do so, even if at lower mixing ratios and less often for a while. And even though its not much you have still been applying food to your plants so I would say start adding the Vega into your blend, it can't hurt. Your plants are looking very healthy which is always a good start. So the keep it low and simple method you are applying is proving to be a good strategy.

stp

stp

A week ago i took four (5) gallon smart pots and filled them with happy frog that I squirted worm tea all over then stacked them with plastic catch trays as loose lids. Today I checked them and there’s a lot of white cotton candy fungus...that’s the good stuff right? If yes, it’s still ok to have these stacked in my room getting ready to move the babies one final time, right? The plants are already getting dry in two days instead of three in these 1 gal pots. I’m messing with one of them but these babies have super thick stalks already.

6E8DBE26 6CEB 4641 A599 1301E11FF856
0CC196A3 DA36 4E7B B30B 4B7BDB6403BB
5B2913A4 9D1E 45A2 B5F4 6A7052C4C402
45BB50FB D9E6 46A8 9462 1C54280EE5B2
486B668D 6821 4ADF 8769 329CB939AF64
5FBD2D90 7FA6 4F54 8731 37EEB1F3C958
D05B4A95 2A40 4A83 A1CA E6FB5B8DD45C
F7C6E668 77F6 4520 9B35 AFF1D0FA22F4
F7552265 0C77 4D20 AB5C ECD59AB61889
stp

stp

Plants seem to be drying out faster now, I’ve lowered the RH down to around 50, and after watering Thursday at 6 am, Saturday at 6 they looked almost ready for more. Im getting anxious to move them to the 5’s. I’ve got two quick out of town trips coming up and I’m not sure I want to leave with them in the 1 gals before I go.

707finisher

707finisher

lst Depends on the purpose of the plant, for me and my circus, and if it’s seedling or clone, but I always start when they are small so the trunk is still a stem that can be bent easily. I use a hot paper clip and melt holes in the edges of the pot, depending on the kind/size of wire I use other things to melt the hole. I usually keep at one on the main branch at all times. I just undo the wire when I transplant and rerun the wire through a hole in the next pot. I melt instead of drill or cut holes, easier to prevent cracks.

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

Plants seem to be drying out faster now, I’ve lowered the RH down to around 50, and after watering Thursday at 6 am, Saturday at 6 they looked almost ready for more. Im getting anxious to move them to the 5’s. I’ve got two quick out of town trips coming up and I’m not sure I want to leave with them in the 1 gals before I go.
Watering every other day is where you want to be in my opinion. I usually like to have mine in pots for a little bit once they get to watering every other day; to me its when they start to need water every day that they need to be transplanted. However since you are going out of town then moving them up into their final homes may not be a bad idea. The extra soil space will hold onto water a bit longer and you won't need to worry about watering as often. But then it does also depend on how long you are going to be out of town. If your trip is a week or longer you may want to consider getting some kind of automated watering to those plants.

lst Depends on the purpose of the plant, for me and my circus, and if it’s seedling or clone, but I always start when they are small so the trunk is still a stem that can be bent easily. I use a hot paper clip and melt holes in the edges of the pot, depending on the kind/size of wire I use other things to melt the hole. I usually keep at one on the main branch at all times. I just undo the wire when I transplant and rerun the wire through a hole in the next pot. I melt instead of drill or cut holes, easier to prevent cracks.
@stp is in fabric pots, so no melting needed; it would be a bad idea to melt those pots.

707finisher

707finisher

I know, I’m referring to smaller plants prior to transplant into final containers, typically you don’t transplant from fabric pots correct? Lol everyone has an opinion, just saying what I do bro. I still poke a hole in the fabric. With the wire.

stp

stp

I know, I’m referring to smaller plants prior to transplant into final containers, typically you don’t transplant from fabric pots correct? Lol everyone has an opinion, just saying what I do bro. I still poke a hole in the fabric. With the wire.
I decided to use fabric to transplant into and doing it twice. Wanted the benefit of the fabric early in the plant life especially for good root growth and maintenance. I hear everyone saying it’s hard to transplant from fabric...it doesn’t look that bad to me, so I’m doing. I’ll tell ya later if that was a good or bad choice. When you said melt and I knew that was for plastic and not my type of pots. They got a gallon of tea between them all this morning. My trips are two days or less, no worries on watering and I’ve got someone who can water if it were an emergency. Live video cam allows me to see them 24/7.

Latest posts

Top Bottom