Searching for high THCV strains

• Thread starter Skeptik
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Pushrod Monkey

Pushrod Monkey

Here is what I got from them:

Hi

It has recently been brought to our attention that our testing of Diet Durban THCV was not rigorous enough. We also put too much trust in the suppliers.

We have now identified that this batch has a much, much higher level of hermaphroditism than we believe is acceptable.

The supplier has provided us with replacement seeds, but we need to test these fully before we are willing to send them on to customers. We do not want the same issues occurring twice.

We are very sorry for this inconvenience and would like to offer you one of the following options:

• Store credit (value of THCV product you purchased +10%)
  • A replacement ten pack of seeds of any other Seedsman variety
  • A free replacement of the same THCV strain when new batch passes tests

Our sincere apologies for this. We will learn from this and ensure seeds are much more rigorously tested.

Regards,

Tom
This is why Dutch Passion took over with the original Durban. Lots of males and tendency to hermie.

JTShakes

JTShakes

Here is what I got from them:

Hi

It has recently been brought to our attention that our testing of Diet Durban THCV was not rigorous enough. We also put too much trust in the suppliers.

We have now identified that this batch has a much, much higher level of hermaphroditism than we believe is acceptable.

The supplier has provided us with replacement seeds, but we need to test these fully before we are willing to send them on to customers. We do not want the same issues occurring twice.

We are very sorry for this inconvenience and would like to offer you one of the following options:

• Store credit (value of THCV product you purchased +10%)
  • A replacement ten pack of seeds of any other Seedsman variety
  • A free replacement of the same THCV strain when new batch passes tests

Our sincere apologies for this. We will learn from this and ensure seeds are much more rigorously tested.

Regards,

Tom
Yep, I got the same email this morning. Just in time, too. Got one starting its second week of flower. I'm going to keep a very close eye on it; so far I only see pistils. I took a couple clones so hopefully I got lucky and this one is stable.🤞

Kanzeon

Kanzeon

"when (not if?) new batch passes tests"

"We will learn from this and ensure seeds are much more rigorously tested"

TBH it seems like these are mutually exclusive. Seedsman has always given me sketchy corporate vibes.

FourPlants

FourPlants

I'm late to the party and don't have a ton to contribute right now but I at least want to follow along for the ride. Would love to experiment with it myself sometime.

Pushrod Monkey

Pushrod Monkey

Didn’t see many takers when I listed IBL Durban in the Seeds section. Except for one person smart enough to take advantage of it.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Didn’t see many takers when I listed IBL Durban in the Seeds section. Except for one person smart enough to take advantage of it.
I totally missed that. And I thought we weren't supposed to discuss trades and swaps in public areas?

Gduptreedup

Gduptreedup

I'd like to connect with other grower searching for THCV genetics. The universal answer from google is always Doug's Varin, but the genetics are heavily protected so don't bother. But there are other strains that hold promise; e.g. Durban Poison (the landrace, NOT the Dutch version), Ethiopian, Wild Thailand, and a handful of others that specifically tout their THCV concentration, but to my knowledge, nothing has been independently verified.

Anyone grow anything out that's been lab tested or holds promise?
Hey I have some land race indica Persin Prince beautiful

JSH1973

JSH1973

Supporter
That’s why I posted in the Seeds sales or trades. Guessing most have no clue that section exists.
I think it is more because that a lot of people are trying to flog their pollen chucks at stupidly inflated prices, kinda drowns out the real good stuff.

Pushrod Monkey

Pushrod Monkey

I think it is more because that a lot of people are trying to flog their pollen chucks at stupidly inflated prices, kinda drowns out the real good stuff.
Lol. Pollen chucker? And prices weren’t mentioned. But whatever. Buy them from Gold Seal.

Pushrod Monkey

Pushrod Monkey

Do you have a clue as to what IBL means? Apparently not. Pollen chucker? Lol. More ignorance bred by bro science.

JSH1973

JSH1973

Supporter
Do you have a clue as to what IBL means? Apparently not. Pollen chucker? Lol. More ignorance bred by bro science.
Apologies mate, wasn't calling you a pollen chucker, sorry if it came across that way.
But you have to admit that there's an awful lot of people that are trying to flog pollen chuck stuff for a tenner a seed and that drowns out real deals from people with proper stuff like Inbred Lines etc. from the more serious people like yourself.
Not trying to badmouth THCF either, just expressed my own view on that section.
I'm growing lots of Poekie's Stuff myself so I do know that it is not all bad stuff on there. 🙂

Apologies again.

Pushrod Monkey

Pushrod Monkey

Apologies mate, wasn't calling you a pollen chucker, sorry if it came across that way.
But you have to admit that there's an awful lot of people that are trying to flog pollen chuck stuff for a tenner a seed and that drowns out real deals from people with proper stuff like Inbred Lines etc. from the more serious people like yourself.
Not trying to badmouth THCF either, just expressed my own view on that section.
I'm growing lots of Poekie's Stuff myself so I do know that it is not all bad stuff on there. 🙂

Apologies again.
I’ve been growing since the 1960’s. I maintain this line to preserve it. Pollen chuckers are partly responsible for the loss of landrace strains. Trying to find genuine Michoacán or Oaxacan is impossible. You might get close but no banana.

The line I’m keeping up was maintained by the guy since he brought it from Africa to Ketchikan AK in the 70’s. He no longer sells regular seeds. Because of pollen chuckers in part. Apologies accepted.

grnmtn

grnmtn

I had the same issue with 100 Bruce Banners I bought from a different well known seedbank. They finally sent me 100 replacement seeds and out of the 20 I sprouted one turned out to be an auto flower when they were all supposed to be photo fems of the same strain.

I got the same line too, we put too much trust in supplier. After 3 bad batches of seeds in 2 years I now will only buy seeds from the people who actually breed them!

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

So I finally got thru processing my backlog, and decided it's time to start again. Only 6 of these will make it to flower.

I will have culls of THC Victory and Diet Durban (yeah the hermie stuff) if anyone is interested. Just make it easy on me to get them to you and they are free. I'm keeping 2/3 of the THC Vics and 2/10 of the Seedsman Diet Durban.

The other stuff is just pheno hunting. Well, so is the THC Victory, I can tell you from past experience it is not stable. I have found 3 separate chemovars over 7 seeds. Diet Durban is a crapshoot unless someone can tell me how to pick hermies out of a lineup of foot tall plants. I need some black magic or something.

Day 1 Moe Red

FWIW, I'm finding THCV in quite a few plants, and I am convinced light spectrum plays a part in bringing it out. I pulled some out of White Widow (Greenhouse) that was completely unexpected. The testing and results are in another thread where I was focused on UVB testing.

As for effects of THCV, quite a few have asked me about my results. I'll save some PMs and just tell everyone - but please understand I am no expert at this and my goals / results / desires may be completely different from yours.

Smoking:

Inhaled THCV by itself does nothing useful. Perhaps larger doses might work, but read on.

THCV inhaled with a "base plant" is highly variable. By base plant, I mean taking a bud or extraction that has little or no THCV, but a full plant otherwise including minor cannabinoids and terps, and adding THCV to that plant.

I have spent a considerable amount of time and effort on coaxing out the best results with different base plants and tuning cannabinoid and terpene profiles. There are just so many variables here that me posting my results would be meaningless to anyone else. I would call this method a partial success, but I'm not satisfied.

Eating:

This is the method I am currently focused on. The reason for this is the resounding success I have had with my wife (different issues - not THCV related) on making this process work for her. Basically we are making capsules with precise ingredients (cannabinoids, terpenes, lecithin, and some dietary supplements) which change throughout the day. Example - night time dose is 1 hour before bed and has a base plant of Critical Mass (my wife calls it blonde, meaning just sorta mellow, not too high, not stress inducing, whatever) and the addition of CBN and myrcene. She is repeatedly getting a good night sleep for the first time in a long time. Naturally I want this level of success with THCV.

So far, this method is a bit trickier for me. Too early to say, but I believe I will eventually find her level of success. The entourage effect is so important, if you are not in the right zone it will feel like a failure.

I'll be back around with more as these grow up, but been pretty busy lately, so please forgive me slow replies to PMs, if you have questions post them here and I'll grab them when I can. Cheers.

Oh, on the seedling culls, I'll go first come first served via PM timestamp. When they are gone they are gone, but if you are local you can always get cuts.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Diet Durban at day 26 of flowering. Does this look suspicious to the more advanced eye, I think I'm safe so far. Thanks in advance!
Looks good so far. Hope it works for you. Do you have the ability to test it once you harvest? I'd be curious if dealing with hermies is worth it to find a proper plant.

Top Bottom