Spider Farmer SF1000 LED Grow!

• Thread starter BigCube
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
Volts in the example provided by Mimed is referring to at the wall, which goes into the driver and sends out volts to the LED's.
Volts from the wall have no effect on the diodes. As long as the driver can handle the walls voltage which every light can, wall voltage doesn't matter.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Sorry @BigCube i shouldnt have posted but i couldnt take the comment i got started with. And this is one of the reasons i turned the sf rep down for a free light. Again sorry. I should have expected what i started. Oops. ;-)

Anthem

Anthem

Volts from the wall have no effect on the diodes. As long as the driver can handle the walls voltage which every light can, wall voltage doesn't matter.
Ah yes it does. If you have 240 volts going into the driver at 1500 watts you have over twice the effective power as 120 volts with 1500 watts. The higher the voltage the more economical the fixture becomes. You will find commercial grows will use 240 or 277 volts because of the economy.

gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
If you have 4 fixtures pulling the same watts from the wall, how does the number of diodes effect the equation?
Each diode can handle a certain number of volts.
A diode that has 2.5v and 100mA going through it will be 0.25w.
2 diodes that have 2.5v each and 50mA going through them, will also be 0.25w but will produce more light and less heat.

gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
Ah yes it does. If you have 240 volts going into the driver at 1500 watts you have over twice the effective power as 120 volts with 1500 watts. The higher the voltage the more economical the fixture becomes. You will find commercial grows will use 240 or 277 volts because of the economy.
Depends on the amperage.

gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
Sorry that's wrong^ I miss read your post.

The driver only lets a certain voltage through. It doesn't consume all the voltage it gets.

And to what you said about the 1500w lights at 120v vs 240v, the 240v is more efficient because it means lower amperage (but more diodes).

Anthem

Anthem

The driver only lets a certain voltage through. It doesn't consume all the voltage it gets.

And to what you said about the 1500w lights at 120v vs 240v, the 240v is more efficient because it means lower amperage (but more diodes).
Yes less amperage, less than half but just slightly. but the diodes are a physical part of the fixture.

Anthem

Anthem

The driver actually has a stepdown transformer in it of some sort. It drops the voltage way down to like 10 volts.

Anthem

Anthem

If you're running parallel.
Parallel has nothing to do with it. A parallel circuit has two or more paths for current to flow through. Voltage is the same across each component of the parallel circuit. The sum of the currents through each path is equal to the total current that flows from the source.

gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
That is inside the fixture. So far everything that has been discussed it about 4 fixtures being in comparison. Nothing to do with different voltage and amp requirements for diodes within the fixture.
I was just trying to show that parallel and series require different voltage and amperage.

Let me draw a new one for you to show how lights can be different if they have the same wattage and diode type.

Anthem

Anthem

That is inside the fixture. So far everything that has been discussed it about 4 fixtures being in comparison. Nothing to do with different voltage and amp requirements for diodes within the fixture.
Did you take your picture down?
The example you show would require separate connections to the boards to achieve varies voltages. Quantum boards correct me if I am wrong, but they only have 1 positive and 1 negative lead.

gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
Did you take your picture down?
The example you show would require separate connections to the boards to achieve varies voltages. Quantum boards correct me if I am wrong, but they only have 1 positive and 1 negative lead.
I took it down because I don't want that picture on my profile.

I'm not actually sure how those companies run their quantum boards. The connection separates because it is in parallel, that is what I'm saying.

Anthem

Anthem

I took it down because I don't want that picture on my profile.

I'm not actually sure how those companies run their quantum boards. The connection separates because it is in parallel, that is what I'm saying.
What do you mean by separates?

gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
Ok that picture really doesn't matter, I'm working on another one that actually applies to the argument.

If you really want me to explain it to you, then I will after but it doesn't apply to the argument.

Latest posts

Top Bottom