Start of 2nd Grow. This time in Soil

• Thread starter PerfecTrader
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PerfecTrader

PerfecTrader

Remember that the footprint of your plant bases are smaller than your canopy spread so you don't need to fill the entire floor with a flood table. A 3 x 3 flood table in a 4 x 4 tent is ideal.

I would also include a reservoir placed underneath the flood table. A res and lid will set you back around a hundred and change. You could place the res in the bottom of the tent, build a small rack for your flood table and place the flood table in the rack. The rack for your FT is so that you can remove the res for refreshing the nutrient solution without disturbing the FT.

Another option would be to not do the F and D and do like I did. I bought a 30 gal plastic bin at the hardware store along with a pond pump. Made some watering rings out of 1/4 inch drip line and ran all the drip lines to a drip head and then to the pump. Set the pump on a timer for whatever volume of water you want to give the plants and that's it. I have a generic digital timer that lets me set different time schedules so I can set up 3 or 4 watering times so that as the plants water needs increase I can just switch up the watering time.
yeah i saw some real nice flood trays for 3x3s but I don't really need a flood tray. I don't want really any run-off if can help it. 6 of the 8 plants in tent 2 are regs so not sure how many are fems. Based on how many are fems will determine what pot size(5 or 7) or none, that I pot up to. So this solution I just got from amazon is literally just piece of mind that I can set the blumats up soon to see if they work without flooding my tent.

I do like your flood and drain option but I'm already too deep down this route. I actually have everything I need to completely DIY drippers like you did(dual timer, 400gph pump, 80gph pump, 1/2 tubing x 50 ft, 1/4 tubing x 100, every fitting you could need, was going to make the 8 diy dripper rings myself, etc etc) and nope, not for me right now. I honestly feel that if blumats even kinda work, that they may be the best solution for me. I have 1 x 5gal, 3 x 7gal, and 8 x 3gal pots going right now. Something that can provide each one with the amount the plant wants without me needing to ask it, is something I can't pass up. If the blumats are working for @Nesta028 I'm not sure why they couldn't for me. I could just have the 2 x 5 gal painters buckets with the spouts, hoisted up 3 or 4 feet securely and then I just pour water or nutrients into the res'z as needed. Better work or I'ma be pissed hah

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

LOL! Every situation is unique.

Most of the like guys have told me that once you get it dialed in it works really well although they said you really have to pay attention to soil wetness in the beginning because sometimes they may go dry on you and your plants will be perpetually starving for water. Not dying but starving. Another con they had was that the adjustment isn't as fine as they would like. Apparently the adjuster isn't a rotary style but a click style. Sometimes it's either a little too much or not quite enough. They also said be careful with Nutes that have lots of organic sediment in them. It'll clog the carrots.

In case you need a source.

PerfecTrader

PerfecTrader

LOL! Every situation is unique.

Most of the like guys have told me that once you get it dialed in it works really well although they said you really have to pay attention to soil wetness in the beginning because sometimes they may go dry on you and your plants will be perpetually starving for water. Not dying but starving. Another con they had was that the adjustment isn't as fine as they would like. Apparently the adjuster isn't a rotary style but a click style. Sometimes it's either a little too much or not quite enough. They also said be careful with Nutes that have lots of organic sediment in them. It'll clog the carrots.

In case you need a source.
Hmm this is really good stuff thanks. I will keep expectations low and yeah I read dialing them in can be tough. I think the less plants I have the easier it will be. Once I have 2 or 3 plants max per tent, I can't imagine it not being a breeze to check each plant a couple times a day, weight test em, check drippers etc vs the 1-2 hours it was taking to feed them every other day. One thing is for sure, I'm about to learn or burn trying 😂

steamroller

steamroller

Most say you can not add ferts to the Blue system. The tubing/diaphragm will clog.
The danger from flooding is not due to dialing in, but if a connection comes loose. It is the diaphragm in the carrot that stops the flow. One loose connection [ like if you kick/step on it] and the reservoir will drain completely until you notice.
I considered these for my room and although not in my house, I am not wanting to flood it and enjoy the time I spend with my girls.
Plants look awesome man!

Observationist

Observationist

Greetings good people far and near. Stoked to get back under the lights after a month or so of being stuck to the couch and ceiling from 1st grow. This thread is a bit of the end of that one and the start of a new.
Thank you sincerely to the kind souls here that helped me get from start to finish my 1st grow. I learned much from all of you and I know it is just the start.

Strains~ all fem photo, Barney's Farm Blue Sunset Sherbert, Barney's Farm Mimosa x Orange Punch, and Seedsman Blueberry
6/6 cracked and placed in Peet Pellets today

The Plant already growing is a GRCxBBC that is 18 years old. I am not sure if I will keep it or not. I am running the 3 above in 7 gal fabs and don't have any more. Only have 5gs and 3gs and I won't have enough room in tent to SCROG like I plan to if run 4. Ehh dang I am going to hate to toss it if do 🥺 her leaves are so soft 😆

Not going to be too long-winded as I have quite some time ahead to do that. Lookin forward to having some fun and becomin "one with the soil" a bit. Hope you will join me ✌️
Nice buds

Observationist

Observationist

Sunday update

GRCxBBC (named Buttercup) is now 29 days from planting and the other 3 cultivars are 12 days old. Transplanted Buttercup on Thursday and she seems to be figthin through it. May have gotten some nutes on bottom leaves and they didn't like it. May just cut them off since they touching soil a bit.
See some roots sprinting for the bottoms of cups with the 3 in solos. May water them a bit manana.
Those cheap meters will give you a good idea as long as you’re gentle with them

I’ve had a few

(I’m rough with things) lol

Observationist

Observationist

Sunday update

GRCxBBC (named Buttercup) is now 29 days from planting and the other 3 cultivars are 12 days old. Transplanted Buttercup on Thursday and she seems to be figthin through it. May have gotten some nutes on bottom leaves and they didn't like it. May just cut them off since they touching soil a bit.
See some roots sprinting for the bottoms of cups with the 3 in solos. May water them a bit manana.
Looks like you had room for more solo cups 😆

Nesta028

Nesta028

ty much Ninj ☺️ It has been a much more enjoyable grow than my 1st that's for sure. I am through 6 weeks of flower and the worst that has happened is a few baby springtails in my soil from too much topsoil moisture. They aren't even predatory hah Sensei 🥋 CannaGranny showed me how I could put the bottled nutes down, stop playing 14 different nute bottle boy chemistry, and become one with the living soil and just feed it. I owe this stress-free grow to her 🙏
I just got back from HomeDepot and bought 2 x 5g clear painter buckets. I got 2 spouts from amazon and drilled holes in the buckets and put them in. The tubing for the blumats fits pretty snug into spout but I would still want to seal. Now I need to figure out how to run the mainline on the ground like some were advising but then I need some tubing and attachments I'm not sure if I have in order to port the water from mainline up to the plants and into the blumats. If this works like I'm hoping then I will get 2 more pour spouts from amazon and do the same thing to the 2nd bucket. I want to be able to turn on/off from both buckets to both tents. This whole grow I have alternated feedings with waterings. If I have 2 buckets, each with 2 spouts, I can make it so that whatever is in either bucket can be turned on for either tent without moving the buckets or altering their contents. I just might just be too high though 😆 and this will never work but yolo and this is as far as I've got.

@Nesta028 who was sayin to not have the main lines run along the top of the pots and how come? You would need to get longer brown thin tubing that goes from mainline to blumats or change that black attachment and run tubing to each plant from the mainline on the ground right?

View attachment 1289558

View attachment 1289559

☺️
Man you guys post quick 😂. So it was in my thread where someone advo
ty much Ninj ☺️ It has been a much more enjoyable grow than my 1st that's for sure. I am through 6 weeks of flower and the worst that has happened is a few baby springtails in my soil from too much topsoil moisture. They aren't even predatory hah Sensei 🥋 CannaGranny showed me how I could put the bottled nutes down, stop playing 14 different nute bottle boy chemistry, and become one with the living soil and just feed it. I owe this stress-free grow to her 🙏
I just got back from HomeDepot and bought 2 x 5g clear painter buckets. I got 2 spouts from amazon and drilled holes in the buckets and put them in. The tubing for the blumats fits pretty snug into spout but I would still want to seal. Now I need to figure out how to run the mainline on the ground like some were advising but then I need some tubing and attachments I'm not sure if I have in order to port the water from mainline up to the plants and into the blumats. If this works like I'm hoping then I will get 2 more pour spouts from amazon and do the same thing to the 2nd bucket. I want to be able to turn on/off from both buckets to both tents. This whole grow I have alternated feedings with waterings. If I have 2 buckets, each with 2 spouts, I can make it so that whatever is in either bucket can be turned on for either tent without moving the buckets or altering their contents. I just might just be too high though 😆 and this will never work but yolo and this is as far as I've got.

@Nesta028 who was sayin to not have the main lines run along the top of the pots and how come? You would need to get longer brown thin tubing that goes from mainline to blumats or change that black attachment and run tubing to each plant from the mainline on the ground right?

View attachment 1289558

View attachment 1289559

☺️
damn you guys post fast 😂. So freezeland2 mentioned in my thread to level the supply line, preferably on the ground. This would require more of the smaller brown/black branch lines to reach the carrot. I haven’t made any adjustments yet. You may want to look at swapping those clear buckets out with black buckets. I believe the hydroheads will tell you a clear bucket will invite slime/sludge. Any system you go with will have maintenance needs. I check mine multiple times throughout the day and will do a through cleaning after each grow. Air will be a concern in any gravity system. One way to combat that is to not let the res drain completely. Keeping it topped off will help.

CannaGranny

CannaGranny

Day 99, 6 weeks through Flower update.

Just chuggin along with a tent of different colored flowers that seem to be ripening 🤗 Smells just gettin better and I'm thinking it may be time to start considering when to flush. The mimosa x OP and the Blue Sunset Sherbert both say max flower is 9 weeks. I know that is to be taken lightly but also says I think 55-60 days and 59-63ish in flower. How does one determine when they are 2 weeks-ish out?

View attachment 1289495

View attachment 1289496

View attachment 1289497

View attachment 1289498

View attachment 1289499

View attachment 1289500

View attachment 1289501

View attachment 1289558

View attachment 1289559

☺️
My guess would be 3-3 1/2 weeks out. You have not even hit the ripening/fattening point yet. In the last two weeks go to plain water. No need for flushing. By doing this you force them to use up what they have stored. IMO flushing them with copious amounts of water just flushes your soil, washing all the good things from it and making it flat should you decide to reuse the soil.
A good thing to read up on is the phloem/xylem and how it works. Many of us older cultivators consider soil flushing (only done by an experienced cultivators to adjust a raucous PH) “bro science”. Yup, that would be me and it’s not open for discussion in my book. Meaning I’m not arguing the point. Seeing is believing 🥰 Just saying that for anyone that wants to argue the point and it no way directed at you. All topics open to you.
Looking good Bubs! 🥰

PerfecTrader

PerfecTrader

Most say you can not add ferts to the Blue system. The tubing/diaphragm will clog.
The danger from flooding is not due to dialing in, but if a connection comes loose. It is the diaphragm in the carrot that stops the flow. One loose connection [ like if you kick/step on it] and the reservoir will drain completely until you notice.
I considered these for my room and although not in my house, I am not wanting to flood it and enjoy the time I spend with my girls.
Plants look awesome man!
This is more good stuff and thanks much. I just watched this video HERE where he talks about most common issues, why they occur and how to resolve. I would be setting these up so the blumats will alternate every couple days with water and then a blend of liquid seaweed and molasses. I didn't notice much residue from my nutrients this grow while mixing. I have 35% peroxide I could dilute and use to clean the pieces like the guy advises if they seem to get clogged. Yeah for sure flooding is my biggest concern and for that reason I will never keep more water in than would be safe to flow into tent. I would say I would likely not have more than 2-3 gallons in either at a time. I bought individual 10x10 trays for each 3g pot as a starting point and eventually may put them all in a larger tray if things seem to be working out. Good lookin out and thanks again

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

My guess would be 3-3 1/2 weeks out. You have not even hit the ripening/fattening point yet. In the last two weeks go to plain water. No need for flushing. By doing this you force them to use up what they have stored. IMO flushing them with copious amounts of water just flushes your soil, washing all the good things from it and making it flat should you decide to reuse the soil.
A good thing to read up on is the phloem/xylem and how it works. Many of us older cultivators consider soil flushing (only done by an experienced cultivators to adjust a raucous PH) “bro science”. Yup, that would be me and it’s not open for discussion in my book. Meaning I’m not arguing the point. Seeing is believing 🥰 Just saying that for anyone that wants to argue the point and it no way directed at you. All topics open to you.
Looking good Bubs! 🥰
Ace! I agree about the flushing part. I've read a lot of discussions and have talked to some pretty experienced master growers about this and they all tell me what you have. Drowning the soil only removes excess salts(If you use salt based ferts) and all the good microbes and fungi that you've built up in the soil. Smoke quality didn't change in flushed to unflushed product.

Some arguments I've read online talked about how flushing somehow removes excess ferts within the flower structure and that's how you get real clean, grey ash smoke. The response was that fertilizer only goes one way. In. The plants vascular system only goes one way when it comes to nutrient molecules. Of course chaos ensued!🙄😄

PerfecTrader

PerfecTrader

Looking good Bubs! 🥰
Perrrrrrfect and I am ready to wait till ready ready. Nooooooooo WAY am I flushing. When I say flushing I am 100% only referring to CG approved water only for last 2 weeks flushing. To me that is the only kind there is 🤗
Did I mention again I'm Scorpio Born in The Year of the Tiger and Birthday is Friday 10/28 😯 Sure seems 3+ish weeks away to me 🥰

PerfecTrader

PerfecTrader

Why would I even consider flushing? My soil seems so happy and clean I could sleep in it. I just don't due to my watering practices not being dialed in enough yet 😂

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

Perrrrrrfect and I am ready to wait till ready ready. Nooooooooo WAY am I flushing. When I say flushing I am 100% only referring to CG approved water only for last 2 weeks flushing. To me that is the only kind there is 🤗
Did I mention again I'm Scorpio Born in The Year of the Tiger and Birthday is Friday 10/28 😯 Sure seems 3+ish weeks away to me 🥰
Exactly! CG's spot on! Burn up whatever food the plant has stored with clean water feedings and harvest at trich signal. Keep your eyes on the finish line!!!🏁

PerfecTrader

PerfecTrader

Exactly! CG's spot on! Burn up whatever food the plant has stored with clean water feedings and harvest at trich signal. Keep your eyes on the finish line!!!🏁
Roger that fosho. Hey I need yalls help. I took clones from tent 1 to keep as mothers in tent 2. 1 of the 2 I planned to keep is a GRC x BBC. I am likely going to throw this plant out because I need the pot to stay within legal limit and would rather have Blue Sunset Sherbert as a mother than this, but what the heck is this so that I can learn?
These clones were taken 7-10 days into flower and were showing pre-flowers. So obviously it needed to re-veg but see how new nodes went from 5 leaf to 3 to 1? Is it a mutant?

@Aqua Man what say you with this hogwash?

See this is the mimosa x orange punch and it was treated the exact same as GRC x BBC above

20221006 100917
Last edited:
Nesta028

Nesta028

This is more good stuff and thanks much. I just watched this video HERE where he talks about most common issues, why they occur and how to resolve. I would be setting these up so the blumats will alternate every couple days with water and then a blend of liquid seaweed and molasses. I didn't notice much residue from my nutrients this grow while mixing. I have 35% peroxide I could dilute and use to clean the pieces like the guy advises if they seem to get clogged. Yeah for sure flooding is my biggest concern and for that reason I will never keep more water in than would be safe to flow into tent. I would say I would likely not have more than 2-3 gallons in either at a time. I bought individual 10x10 trays for each 3g pot as a starting point and eventually may put them all in a larger tray if things seem to be working out. Good lookin out and thanks again
One other important thing to note, I dont put nutes in my res. I top dress under the dripper. This keeps the system as clean as possible.

Top Bottom