Strain names.

• Thread starter BigCube
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Names are way too overhyped and silly. I've grown a lot of different strains and often times things become cyclical and I start to think there's really only maybe only 2 dozen or so truly different strains, not thousands.
None really irritate me too bad but some are such a turn off it's hard to buy them. I cant see myself growing anything named after piss. I hate cotton candy, it's so damn gross to me so I could never grow something named that.

I think what gets under my skin the most is hype and hijackers.
Like Zkittles (another silly name) winning an Emerald Cup. That's cool and great for the breeder.
But within 6 months there's Zkittles autoflowers, feminized Zkittles from a half a dozen or more different breeders, and also crossed with Gorilla Glue, GSC, OG Kush and there might even be a CBD strain of Zkittles. You know damn well none of that new stuff has any connection what-so-ever to the Zkittles that won the EC. When I see that the breeder is immediately dropped from any consideration for me.

Well I guess a strain named “ Piddles” is right out then. :-)

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Take it you wouldn't have liked Cannabis Cowboys "Toe Jam" :cry: Prob double since it had the Cheese cut in it.

I will say sometimes the name is very fitting like with the San Diego Cat Piss.

Rooke

Rooke

Hey all, I kinda like the names that speak to the origins kinda like the old names best. Back in the 70’s we smoked a lot of hash cuz the weed we got up here in Canada wasn’t very good but you always knew where you hash came from. Then we started getting Thai weed and that’s when I switched to smoking weed because that shit was great. Anyhow I’m sure glad we can still see origin in some of the names. I do like Alaskan Thunder Fuck though!!

916Fisherman

916Fisherman

I wont say specific names. Cause I just can't bring myself to do it.

But anything with girl scout and or cookies, or diesel, or cheese, or sour, or anything like that I automatically dislike.
The original Cookies and cheese strains are some of the best imo

MooseFarts

MooseFarts

There are some stupid strain names out there, but I do love telling people that I have a closet full of Agent Orange. The looks I get are priceless.

I just got me a bag of some agent orange. Stuff is real nice. Good for a daytime high.

Kanzeon

Kanzeon

I think its cool, some of the strains I am growing right now mostly have been named by the area in which their landrace parent strain comes from. Kabul, Kalashnikov, Baikal.

I see where youre coming from BC, especially in the days of legalization and trying to prevent innocent youth they should be trying to get their hands on some girl scout cookies. But at the same time im with @1diesel1 and how they crack me up. I think its hilarious when relatives ask me what im growing and Im like some peyote cookies, or green crack, etc.

Have yet to tell them anything like tranny panties or stripper piss 😂

I see you, fellow Kalashnikov grower! I've got a bunch of their stuff going at the moment and it's been phenomenal.

There are some absolutely ridiculous beer names though. Raging Bitch, Tramp Stamp, Moose Knuckle, Arrogant Bastard, Big Cock...

W8ing4Buds

W8ing4Buds

Since this is the new era of cannabis i hope that there will be soon some changes in the names.
I hope that names will become codes for plants that will tell you what you have.

Let me give an example: 80S/lem
That would mean 80% sativa dominant with exprest lemonin terpins or something like that

Please don't attak me it's just a suggestion.
I wish you all happy growing experience

BigCube

BigCube

Since this is the new era of cannabis i hope that there will be soon some changes in the names.
I hope that names will become codes for plants that will tell you what you have.

Let me give an example: 80S/lem
That would mean 80% sativa dominant with exprest lemonin terpins or something like that

Please don't attak me it's just a suggestion.
I wish you all happy growing experience

Much better than what's going on now. I would be ok with this. Good idea!

zzzybil

zzzybil

I enjoy the imagination of some names , Also appreciate the serious breeders products that have names with clue to lineage. - That helps . It's difficult for me to separate the breeders that have serious time invested vs chuckers fast bucking a name ........... all in allllll the enormous variety is amazing........... catchy names for marketing - doesn't bother me......... ''sticks and stones ''

If i had to gripe it'd be on the ''initials'' in the threads - spell it out ONCE ...... I'm getting better and a couple familiar but a lotta dam guessing . Knowledge base here is mind boggling for someone new to knowing (( any )) names .....beyond skunk or christmas tree...... Diggin the threads / breeders with HISTORY lineage of their endeavors ... or long time clone lines ...........WOW

Mattyice

Mattyice

Dam bro you’re missing out on some fine stains jus because of a name. I do agree that some of the names are ridiculous, but this shouldn’t be a reason not to try them. I’m sure we all have a couple friends with some odd names but that doesn’t keep us from hanging out with them, just because they’re parents gave them a different name than we’re used to. Idk I say try them, you might like them. I’m still searching for a strain I had years ago in MT called black coal it was some fineeeeee smoke.

BigCube

BigCube

I enjoy the imagination of some names , Also appreciate the serious breeders products that have names with clue to lineage. - That helps . It's difficult for me to separate the breeders that have serious time invested vs chuckers fast bucking a name ........... all in allllll the enormous variety is amazing........... catchy names for marketing - doesn't bother me......... ''sticks and stones ''

If i had to gripe it'd be on the ''initials'' in the threads - spell it out ONCE ...... I'm getting better and a couple familiar but a lotta dam guessing . Knowledge base here is mind boggling for someone new to knowing (( any )) names .....beyond skunk or christmas tree...... Diggin the threads / breeders with HISTORY lineage of their endeavors ... or long time clone lines ...........WOW

I'm not talking about "catchy" names. I'm talking stupid, dirty, childish or offensive names.

Cheese, diesel and cookies are flavors I've never tasted or smelled in cannabis. These stupid names were made up in place of names we already had that were much more descriptive of the actual cannabis smell and flavor, things like skunk, and berry, lemon, etc..

Thunderfuck, hookerpiss and names like that were obviously made for the shock value alone. Thinking if you give it a stupid and offensive enough name, people will like it or want it. Not the case from all the adults I talk to in my every day life. Dispensaries in my area wont carry names like that, and for the most part, they go nowhere. Cause the average person isn't impressed by stupid childish names.

Like I said. It's as if a bunch of teens are naming this stuff. Rename a bunch of already well known good and accurate descriptors to a bunch of stupid kid names that have nothing to do with the actual flavor or smell, cause they think it's cool or something.

I dunno. If I was 15 again, I'd probably laugh at the names and think they were cool. But as an adult, it just looks to me like mr Johnston's 7th grade class got to name some cannabis strains.

It's not long before we get names like: big stinky doodoo head.

We are pretty much already there.

BigCube

BigCube

Dam bro you’re missing out on some fine stains jus because of a name. I do agree that some of the names are ridiculous, but this shouldn’t be a reason not to try them. I’m sure we all have a couple friends with some odd names but that doesn’t keep us from hanging out with them, just because they’re parents gave them a different name than we’re used to. Idk I say try them, you might like them. I’m still searching for a strain I had years ago in MT called black coal it was some fineeeeee smoke.

It's not any better than anything else with a proper name.. I'm not missing anything.

It's like pouring a Budweiser into a Corona and naming it shitdick.

I'd rather have the bud or corona thanks.

Seraphine

Seraphine

I prefer names that provide some info about the plant whether it be genetics, appearance, terpenes, cannabinoids, etc. I don’t mind nonsense names. However, I will not buy seeds that have names that are degrading or racist or seeds named after anything that makes light of war (agent orange). There are still large populations of Vietnamese that are suffering the effects of this herbicide.

MooseFarts

MooseFarts

I see you, fellow Kalashnikov grower! I've got a bunch of their stuff going at the moment and it's been phenomenal.

There are some absolutely ridiculous beer names though. Raging Bitch, Tramp Stamp, Moose Knuckle, Arrogant Bastard, Big Cock...

Awesome! Nice to hear there are others out there growing their stuff! I’d love to see how your gals are growing / turning out!

Top Bottom