Sun System® LEC™ 315 Light Emitting Ceramic Fixture

• Thread starter DAT
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Herb Forester

Herb Forester

I have some questions about your company's 315 fixture. Why are you using mogul sockets with pgzx adapters instead of the correct socket? And why are you mounting the lamp horizontally when it's physical characteristics make it perform much better vertically? Do you not realize how asymmetrical the footprint is from that configuration?

These are made and sold by the designer of Welthink ballasts, correct? Can you also please confirm whether the ballast cord length is limited to 6ft like the Philips ballast?

Last edited:
I

IVY

I have some questions about your company's 315 fixture. Why are you using mogul sockets with pgzx adapters instead of the correct socket? And why are you mounting the lamp horizontally when it's physical characteristics make it perform much better vertically? Do you not realize how asymmetrical the footprint is from that configuration?

These are made and sold by the designer of Welthink ballasts, correct? Can you also please confirm whether the ballast cord length is limited to 6ft like the Philips ballast?

Herb Forester, just send your inquiry to welthink by [email protected], you will get a sasified reply quickly.

I

IVY

Did the ballast on the right make by welthink,
not like welthink showed on alibaba,
Endomaxx had to lie to beat welthink now?

Endormaxx
Welthink

Herb Forester

Herb Forester

Herb Forester, just send your inquiry to welthink by [email protected], you will get a sasified reply quickly.
Spam much? When you want to meet members with only a few posts (always advertising something), lighting threads are definitely the place. Btw I have a contact at Welthink thanks.

If they are made by wellthink i wouldnt waste your time.
Troll much? I've been wasting time for over a year and haven't had a single one fail.

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

If they are made by wellthink i wouldnt waste your time.

Still stuck in 2012 huh? Welthink makes great ballasts, their first ones had issues but I haven't had problems in a long time with welthink. Sunplix is a different manufacturer, Im about to be playing around with over 1,000 of them, hoping I can take advantage of their wireless programming and control them with something a little more sophisticated than a tv remote.

Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter
Spam much? When you want to meet members with only a few posts (always advertising something), lighting threads are definitely the place. Btw I have a contact at Welthink thanks.

Troll much? I've been wasting time for over a year and haven't had a single one fail.

If anyones trolling or spamming its you herb foster. This is a sun systems lec thread not a welthink thread! I had 2 out of three wellthink units fail on me 3 yrs ago. Sold the third one because it was to risky to run. Then purchased the sun system lec and had no problems for 2 yrs. I am now running the a gavita 600 se and it kills my ss 315.

Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter
Still stuck in 2012 huh? Welthink makes great ballasts, their first ones had issues but I haven't had problems in a long time with welthink. Sunplix is a different manufacturer, Im about to be playing around with over 1,000 of them, hoping I can take advantage of their wireless programming and control them with something a little more sophisticated than a tv remote.

Maybe they are better now but i could not take that chance with the %66 failure rate i had previously.

pug1010

pug1010

Hi all:)

Been checking out cmh315w systems for a while now … takes a while to get round to joining and posting though. :) There seems to be a lot of choice, but for me $$ and reliability are big plusses … especially if they can be found in the same system. That being said, as there seems to be very little negative information about the current generation of welthink ballasts (in the last 2 years or so), I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on whether the following reflector from welthink would work well - it looks a bit like the one Herb posted a while ago … I was also wondering what the footprint on something like this might be ...

http://welthink.en.alibaba.com/prod...mopolis_and_Elite_Lighting_UL_CUL_listed.html

Any advice would be great … thanks.
ps: looks like it runs at 340w and can be dimmed?

Herb Forester

Herb Forester

@pug1010 I think reflectors are so far the weakest link in all these fixtures, the ones with horizontal lamp placement being the worst. I'm not talking from specs and diagrams, but from my actual hands-on comparisons with several lamp and reflector configurations over the past year. My humble advice is go vertical and paint the tips. I'm a little surprised @We Solidarity is going so big on Sunplix but he knows much that I don't.

Maybe they are better now but i could not take that chance with the %66 failure rate i had previously.
2 of 3 ya say? Sorry I posted in the wrong 315 thread, it's just hard to keep track since they're all so full of such excellent feedback as yours.

Last edited:
pug1010

pug1010

Thanks heaps Herb ... good to know. It would a shame to waste such a good light on a poor reflector choice. :)

I'll check out the sun system, phantom and green beams a bit more.

All the best

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

@pug1010 I think reflectors are so far the weakest link in all these fixtures, the ones with horizontal lamp placement being the worst. I'm not talking from specs and diagrams, but from my actual hands-on comparisons with several lamp and reflector configurations over the past year. My humble advice is go vertical and paint the tips. I'm a little surprised @We Solidarity is going so big on Sunplix but he knows much that I don't.

2 of 3 ya say? Sorry I posted in the wrong 315 thread, it's just hard to keep track since they're all so full of such excellent feedback as yours.

I haven't run the sunsystem vertical hoods on a large scale yet, only tested them. I didn't see too much difference in the yields between a horizontal and vert bulb, but the sunsystem units were definitely WAY hotter, after a few hours of running in a 4x8 tent they were def throwing out more heat than the grobals or endomaxx did.

Im super stoked on yields regardless, still routinely sitting at a pound per light average in most rooms, the lowest yields come out of our purple indica room, usually 20-25 lbs off 30 lights, which is still over 1 gpw.

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

@We Solidarity,Curious if you have worked with any of the newer LEDs yet,Im seeing a few side by sides claiming better yields off them vs the 315s?any input on that?

Quantrill

Quantrill

http://www.ebm-lighting.com/d/file/content/2016/04/57109e7861568.pdf

@We Solidarity, I designed a controller for some one else that had two temperature triggered auto dim levels and a fancy digital readout with precise voltage control on the dimming circuit. It steps the dimming from 100-50% in tenths of a percent steps. It has two alarm outputs one for alarm and one for killing the ballast relay power, and can be integrated into a more complicated plc control program/circuit. However its not wireless. It is robust, industrial components, and can dim/control 200 ballasts in unison.(@2.5 mA per ballast dimminig circuit)

holler if you want to hear more.

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

@We Solidarity,Curious if you have worked with any of the newer LEDs yet,Im seeing a few side by sides claiming better yields off them vs the 315s?any input on that?

I have not, mainly because led is still so expensive. ive been waiting for the day LED technology catches up, should be any time now!

@Quantrill that sounds like exactly what I'm looking for- I'm about to design a monitoring/alarm system based off an arduino- would be great to hook the lights to it without having to use power relays!

Herb Forester

Herb Forester

I haven't run the sunsystem vertical hoods on a large scale yet, only tested them. I didn't see too much difference in the yields between a horizontal and vert bulb, but the sunsystem units were definitely WAY hotter, after a few hours of running in a 4x8 tent they were def throwing out more heat than the grobals or endomaxx did.

Im super stoked on yields regardless, still routinely sitting at a pound per light average in most rooms, the lowest yields come out of our purple indica room, usually 20-25 lbs off 30 lights, which is still over 1 gpw.View attachment 591972
Do you mean canopy heat directly below the fixture? I find the vertical ones focus the light pattern much more depending on the lamp height, while horizontals leave one inside surface at the terminal end underlit. The original SS LEC is one I didnt try since it's not remote ballast. Are you painting your lamps? It changes reflector performance drastically and allows more uniform distribution.

Herb Forester

Herb Forester

Another thing I dont understand is why anyone would use wireless for networking lights besides maybe a hobby setup. You're already running power and ballast cables anyway, so why not have the reliability of a wired network? Screw wifi, even my PCs are cabled for speed.

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

Another thing I dont understand is why anyone would use wireless for networking lights besides maybe a hobby setup. You're already running power and ballast cables anyway, so why not have the reliability of a wired network? Screw wifi, even my PCs are cabled for speed.

I goofed saying wireless- definitely going to be linking these with cable. Idk if wireless setups actually work in grow rooms with digital ballasts.

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

Do you mean canopy heat directly below the fixture? I find the vertical ones focus the light pattern much more depending on the lamp height, while horizontals leave one inside surface at the terminal end underlit. The original SS LEC is one I didnt try since it's not remote ballast. Are you painting your lamps? It changes reflector performance drastically and allows more uniform distribution.

Not necessarily heat under the fixture, more like heat from the fixture. Those things weigh like 15 lbs, why they needed to use that much metal is beyond me. Basically a giant heat sink compared to the hoods I'm currently using. Im stoked on the 3x3 footprints these lights throw out, they can spread a little farther at 2' over the canopy which is nice when you have overlapping fixtures. I haven't felt a need to paint the lamps as I've never seen hot spots or uneven growth.

Here's a single 315 lighting a 4x8 tent, I moved these plants about a week ago when I transplanted them. I'd say the coverage is fairly even!

I

IVY

Sfesafed
Thanks heaps Herb ... good to know. It would a shame to waste such a good light on a poor reflector choice. :)

I'll check out the sun system, phantom and green beams a bit more.

All the best

horizontal lamp placement was designed for greenhouse, Hortilux, Gavita greenhouse style got a professional horizontal design for a best light efficience, coverage is fairly even,no hot spots or uneven growth, mostly with best 96% efficience materials, lost a little light. Horizontal get a bigger distribute angle, cover more area, it is good for big room, not suitable in grow tent small space.

vertical has a smaller angle to distribute, focus on small space, better to be used in grow tent, but mostly used a poor quality materials for hood, easy to lose 10~30% light while reflecting, no way to know difference of materials by eyes, choose a good vertical hood.

A hand held test luman is bullshit, lumen is for human eyes, little helpful for plant growing, test PAR.

a picture of welthink horizontal fixture in greenhouse showed in a magazine, seems some years ago.

sdgrower

sdgrower

SS 315 users, how far away are you keeping the light from seedlings and clones?

Top Bottom