Tahoe OG 250 watt HPS

• Thread starter OGlover1224
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Wbwidow

Wbwidow

A week is definately too long for the pots to still be wet.

Also I would look into a good digital meter for your ph the drops are okay but its better to be safe then to run into problems not knowing what it could be.

The buds are starting to fatten up nicely.

OGlover1224

OGlover1224

Also I would look into a good digital meter for your ph the drops are okay but its better to be safe then to run into problems not knowing what it could be.

Yeah next run ill definitely be purchasing a meter and adding extra perlite so it will dry out a bit faster. I would water them a little lighter but I'm doing it so I just get a tiny bit of run off to test ph each time

catdaddy

catdaddy

yeah i was thinking the same thing.
from the pics, do you see any burning going on, or is it just me not reading it right?

Wbwidow

Wbwidow

yeah i was thinking the same thing.
from the pics, do you see any burning going on, or is it just me not reading it right?
From the last pics Id say they are good I would just watch for the moisture in the soil.

OGlover1224

OGlover1224

I've always read that you should water until you get a little bit of runoff. I water so I have just enough water to test ph. Should I just ph water going in to 6.0-6.3ish ( with drops for now) and cut back the amount of water I give which is usually about 3/4 gallon if I'm not giving a flush

Wbwidow

Wbwidow

I just think your soil needs better airation.... more perlite would work better because it doesn't take3/4 to a gallon to get runoff usually for me but I use either pro mix or coco so that can also be a difference.

OGlover1224

OGlover1224

I just think your soil needs better airation.... more perlite would work better because it doesn't take3/4 to a gallon to get runoff usually for me but I use either pro mix or coco so that can also be a difference.

I agree but also just find it weird because fox farm soil is so widely used. I am in light warrior so maybe light warrior has more vermiculite and less perlite than Ocean forest?

catdaddy

catdaddy

I agree but also just find it weird because fox farm soil is so widely used. I am in light warrior so maybe light warrior has more vermiculite and less perlite than Ocean forest?
the thing is once you start watering the medium, after awhile it starts to get compact, one of the reasons i decided to move on to coco, so extra perlite is a must if you decide to grow in that medium.

T

tipper619sd

i would let the pot fully dry out and feed it water for a week with very light nutes and see if that helps but week 5 makes me rethink that whole option to me they look overfed and locking out had the same issue with my aero grow 1st time didnt know better at the time adding reg water and nutes with no ppm meter really hurt . after that 2nd run was a breeze . But the seem to be doing better imo

OGlover1224

OGlover1224

the thing is once you start watering the medium, after awhile it starts to get compact, one of the reasons i decided to move on to coco, so extra perlite is a must if you decide to grow in that medium.

Yeah noticed that and figured it couldn't be good. Hopefully perlite fixes that

i would let the pot fully dry out and feed it water for a week with very light nutes and see if that helps but week 5 makes me rethink that whole option to me they look overfed and locking out had the same issue with my aero grow 1st time didnt know better at the time adding reg water and nutes with no ppm meter really hurt . after that 2nd run was a breeze . But the seem to be doing better imo

Damn you really think they are overfed? The only time I saw some tip burn was on Tahoe 2 after I fed it 12ml bloom and 4ml calmag plus tap which put me around 750 ppm(using an online ppm calculater). The bio bizz bio bloom is only 47 ppm per 5ml. but also could have been aggregated by temps in the mid 90s for about 4-5 hours. Now I'm feeding at about 310 ppm (11ml bio bloom only) if I use half tap half distilled. Or i could use all distilled and be around 200 ppm(11ml bio bloom and around 2ml of calmag). I flushed Tahoe 1 this past time and fed afterwards and I flushed Tahoe 2 the week before. You still think I should give plain water light nutes?

T

tipper619sd

Yeah noticed that and figured it couldn't be good. Hopefully perlite fixes that

Damn you really think they are overfed? The only time I saw some tip burn was on Tahoe 2 after I fed it 12ml bloom and 4ml calmag plus tap which put me around 750 ppm(using an online ppm calculater). The bio bizz bio bloom is only 47 ppm per 5ml. but also could have been aggregated by temps in the mid 90s for about 4-5 hours. Now I'm feeding at about 310 ppm (11ml bio bloom only) if I use half tap half distilled. Or i could use all distilled and be around 200 ppm(11ml bio bloom and around 2ml of calmag). I flushed Tahoe 1 this past time and fed afterwards and I flushed Tahoe 2 the week before. You still think I should give plain water light nutes?

Can i ask what are u feeding 12ml is these number per gal and how much do u mix up at a time?

OGlover1224

OGlover1224

Yes per gallon. I mix up a gallon and a half at a time if I am feeding them the same strength. I get just enough run off to test ph by giving them just under 3/4 gallons each

T

tipper619sd

Yes per gallon. I mix up a gallon and a half at a time if I am feeding them the same strength. I get just enough run off to test ph by giving them just under 3/4 gallons each

Ya i would go and use some sort of r/o water 25 cent a gallon at the machines works good imo

catdaddy

catdaddy

i doubt your plants are overfed, especially sitting in a wet medium for a week or more. if it was, your plants would be decaying and fully distorted from sitting in a hot medium for that period of time.

OGlover1224

OGlover1224

i doubt your plants are overfed, especially sitting in a wet medium for a week or more. if it was, your plants would be decaying and fully distorted from sitting in a hot medium for that period of time.

Yeah for Tahoe 2, which I fed today on its 6thd day of no water, it's definitely a ph problem. I put it in around 6- 6.3 and it came out between 7 and 7.5, so I gave it about 2 gallons of plain phd water

Tahoe 1 I did not water today as she isn't quite ready because she got flushed last time.

This is my second time flushing and I still see no improvement so I'm not quite sure what to do now coming up on 42 days flower on Sunday

OGlover1224

OGlover1224

More bad news...

tahoe 1 also has high ph even after a flush last time, so i gave her a 3-4 gallon flush with 6 ph water and even after that runoff ph was still over 7. I am just very confused as to why this continues to be a problem after almost 3 weeks of flushing now with no signs of the ph going down. im not sure if maybe this problem has gone to far to be able to correct this late in the grow and thats why i cant seem to turn it around or what is going on but maybe the problem was that i was feeding every water and need to give plain water inbetween feedings but that was tough to get myself to do because of the fact its been taking a week to dry out(even a day or 2 longer earlier in the grow) so next run hopefully the extra perlite will enable me to water more often thus making it easier to give plain water inbetween feedings.

I still have 4 weeks to go on these girls and if this problem doesnt get at least a little better i dont know if tahoe 2 will even make it and tahoe 1 will certainly not be in good shape.

M

mrueeda

I already told you that you wouldn't be able to lower your ph at this point...i've had the SAME exact problem and you cant fix the ph by flushing, you are just going to stress your plants loosing potency and yield...finish this round without over under feeding (look at the runoff ppm NOT ph) and water when needed...
If you really want to know the reason i would start reading something about base-acid equilibrium outside the cannabis forums...for example many are still convinced that for lowering the ph is enough to water with 5, 6 ph...and this is ridicolous thinking about the complexity of the reactions that happen in soil...even watering too much or too little can drastically affect the ph...
If you want a simple and effective solution to avoid this problems in your next grow:
a) use only pure ro water
b) don't overfeed
c) change to another soil
or keep it simple and USE COCO...This is a very reactive medium and you will be able to change the ph with just one or two phd waterings...

Wbwidow

Wbwidow

dude you need a quality meter if you're still getting a reading of 7.0 with all the flushing your doing.
I agree. I don't think those drops are of much help right now. Also yes I would definately add more perlite in the medium on the next grow or just switch to coco but you are definately going to need a quality meter there.

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

I actually see a few issues going on. First and foremost, digital meters do not work with organic nutrients. Digital meters are reading levels of metals in the solution. Organic nutrients, while they do contain metals, they also contain a significant amount of carbon and other particles with a neutral charge, and therefore will not be read accurately by the meters. Now this brings up the good question of how do you check pH in soil? Well that's a good question, and my answer really has been that I don't bother checking when in soil and using organic nutes. Now this is not to say I have not had issues, but I don't fret about them as my results have still always come out where I would like.

On the topic of nutrients, 12 mL per gallon just seems like WAY too much food in a single dose. I see that Bio Bizz actually recommend about 15 mL per gallon at the heavy feeding stages, but I personally would not go that high, unless my plants are totally blowing up. So I don't know if that is any part of your issues, but I always like the idiom "less is more". And if you are trying to flush out excess salts you are actually trying to bring the pH up. Remember 7 is a neutral pH and Cannabis needs a slightly acidic environment. So if you are removing the nutrients that are keeping the pH below 7 the pH will rise, regardless of what the pH of the water you are flushing with is. If the pH drops below the ideal zone, then a flush is what is needed, but if the pH is too high it is likely a lack of nutrient retention within the soil.

Since we are talking about soil, Light Warrior is designed for seedlings and fresh cuttings, it was not really designed for mature plants. It was not meant to hold nutrients the same way regular potting soils would. I would highly recommend a change of soil, in the future, for your mature plants. If you are set on Fox Farm soils, and they are very good soils, I would recommend Ocean Forest. It does already have perlite in it, but more is not going to hurt. In fact I tend to add perlite to any bagged soil I buy. More aeration is not going to hurt my plants, so I am not shy with the perlite. I usually like to have almost a 1/3 of my soils to be perlite, the results for me have been great root growth from my plants. Ocean forest also has a good amount of food for plants, so in the veg and early bloom phase you can use less bottled nutes.

Top Bottom