Tell us something unique about your growing style or an admission of something that goes against grower wisdom.

• Thread starter jguit
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
sambapati

sambapati

Good point, could be more my soil than the sun effecting taste and smell... guess I'll have to do a full indoor run and decide for myself. 😊
TSD, not important and wouldn't really prove anything. The answer is going to be interdependencies form (some we know and some we don't) tween the plant and medium spurring development of all good terpines, trichs and so forth. Objectively you could scroll through all the Cannabis Cup winners to find they're all indoor grown or not because there are at least 20 of these evaluation championships all over the world. High Times magazine has one of the oldest cups, but they've never asked me or @Oldchucky or @NotFrankster to be judges -- so what do they know. Mitigation of circumstances in outdoor grows will be critical, and that is where your contributions shine.

Myths, bunk and fairy tales IMHO, but here's more...

Growing

5 Major Myths About Outdoor Grown Cannabis Plants​

Marley Natural logo

Presented ByMarley NaturalPublished on September 8, 2016 • Last updated February 24, 2021
This article is sponsored by Marley Natural, the official Bob Marley cannabis brand, which is crafted with deep respect for Bob’s legacy and belief in the positive potential of the herb to heal and inspire us. Marley Natural offers a premium line of cannabis flower, oil, accessories, and body care products that are all responsibly sourced and integrity-driven.

Before we begin dispelling some of the most common myths associated with outdoor cannabis plants, let’s confirm one factual statement: outdoor-grown cannabis differs in important ways from indoor-grown cannabis. Indoor and outdoor flower can diverge in appearance, aroma, flavor, and effects, even when comparing two clones of the same strain. That said, over the past several decades the idea that indoor flower is objectively better than outdoor flower – a misconception derived from outdoor growing practices long necessitated by federal cannabis prohibition – has proliferated.

For thousands of years, cannabis was exclusively an outdoor-grown plant, and exceptional flower was cultivated successfully under the sun in places as diverse as Afghanistan, Jamaica, Panama, and Malawi. Unfortunately, the advent of cannabis’s Schedule I classification forced growers to either adopt substandard outdoor growing conditions or move their grows indoors altogether to avoid being discovered. Outdoor-grown cannabis has been dogged ever since by negative stereotypes resulting from these growing conditions.

Yet today, as outdoor-grown cannabis comes out of the shadows in legal states and outdoor flower can again be grown in ideal conditions, it’s about time the following five myths about outdoor flower were dispelled.

Get more tips and advice on the benefits of growing marijuana outdoors in Leafly’s Growing Guide.

Myth #1: Outdoor Growing Conditions Can’t Produce Top-Shelf Cannabis​

The idea that outdoor growers can’t produce top-shelf product is patently untrue. This myth sprouted when outdoor cannabis, vulnerable to law enforcement efforts, had to be harvested, cured, and shipped in sub-optimal circumstances to avoid discovery. Outdoor grows, more difficult to hide than their indoor counterparts, were frequently harvested early for fear of raids; the curing process was often cut similarly short; and buds were packed tightly into shipping containers or car trunks for surreptitious transport. Thus, the sad, squashed outdoor buds that made their way to end consumers earned a bad reputation.

These same constraints do not apply to legally grown flower sold by licensed producers in the cannabis industry today. With the right genetics, expertise, and attention to detail, outdoor and indoor growers alike can produce top-shelf products.

Myth #2: Outdoor-Grown Cannabis is Less Flavorful​

Outdoor flower can be as terpene-rich as indoor, if not more so. Furthermore, indoor flower is incapable of demonstrating the unique aroma and flavor profiles imparted by cannabis terroir – the culmination of various factors specific to a growing location, including soil, elevation, climate, and more. With the rise of the “cannassieur,” terroir is becoming more and more important to consumers selecting flavorful top-shelf bud, and the unique nuances of flavor imparted by the earth can only be detected in outdoor-grown herb.

Myth #3: Outdoor-Grown Flower is Likely to Be Marred by Pests, Molds, and Mildews​

If you’re buying from a reputable dispensary, contamination by pests, chemicals, molds, and mildew shouldn’t concern you as it might with cannabis sold on the black market. States have developed testing requirements to avoid these issues, and many dispensaries implement their own testing on top of those rules. Oregon, for instance, requires that cannabis products are tested extensively for microbiological contaminants, solvents, and a wide range of pesticides (59 in all) before they ever approach dispensary shelves. Marley Natural, for one, ensures compliance with Oregon’s regulations through strict growing practices that avoid introducing any fertilizers, pesticides, or chemicals whatsoever to their all-natural, outdoor-grown plants throughout the cultivation process.

Myth #4: There’s Nothing Special About Outdoor-Grown Cannabis Plants​

Over the centuries, cannabis as a plant evolved to work synergistically with its outdoor growing environments, and many tend strains to do best outside, especially landraces. It’s impossible for indoor grow systems to completely recreate the immensely complex ecosystems that influence outdoor-grown flower. Indoor grow lights – which also consume excessive energy as they operate – do not produce the full spectrum present in the sun’s rays, and helpful outdoor influences like fragrant coastal breezes, the insects that help control mites, and more are not present at all in indoor grows. Indeed, many argue that outdoor flower is a more “authentic” product, and some people shop exclusively for outdoor-grown.

Myth #5: Cannabis Grown Outdoors is Less Potent​

This myth stems from a time when outdoor farmers would situate grows beneath shade trees to reduce the possibility of being spotted from above during DEA flyovers. This practice reduced plants’ stature and potency, which earned outdoor-grown herb a bad rap as “ditch weed.”

Farmers growing cannabis outdoors in compliance with the law no longer need to hide their grows: as such, their plants can be exposed to full sunlight, allowing them to reach full potential in terms of stature, bud formation, and cannabinoid and terpene content. Knowing this, it’s no wonder that the availability and popularity of high-quality, sun-grown cannabis is swiftly and steadily on the rise.

2018 Amsterdam Cannabis Cup

Winners of the Seed Company Competition

Hash

1st Place:
Gelato 41 by Field Extracts x Connected Cannabis

2nd Place: Headbanger by Nature Boyz x Karma Genetics

3rd Place: Sour Power OG by Karma Squad x Flawless Extract

Hybrid Flower

1st Place:
Biscotti by Connected Cannabis

2nd Place: Rainbow Rider by Karma Squad

3rd Place: Smarties by Kush for Breakfast

Indica Flower

1st Place:
Wedding Cake by PhenoFinders Seeds

2nd Place: Spumoni by The Plug Seed bank x Alien labs

3rd Place: Gelato 41 by Connected Cannabis

Sativa Flower

1st Place:
Gelonade by Connected Cannabis

2nd Place: Purple Strawberry Sherbert by PhenoFinders Seeds

3rd Place: Purple Lemon Punch by The Plug Seed Bank

shaganja

shaganja

I used to think indoor was better. But last year was an outdoor/greenhouse grow, and I had density! Like indoor. Tight buds. And buds are almost a year old, and still getting smells when I open the jar. The buzz is way better than dispo. I can smoke dispo all day, but my weed has the forgetful factor. You set the joint down unintentionally. Forget because your stoned! Lol The buzz is deeper, more introspective, lasts longer, and comes down easier. I can now say its official. My weed is better than dispo. The only thing they have, is curb appeal. My outdoor doesnt seem to shine as much. Gonna try to put it on the market this year.

JJS009

JJS009

I prefer outdoor growing. We started a big ass organic market garden last year and the ecosystem is insane now, we are growing in shitty sandy soil with sub 1% organic matter as of this spring and only homemade compost for nutrients

I NEVER check PH, that which doesn’t fall from the sky comes straight out of the hose.

I don’t ever worry about bugs outside because something will eat them.

These plants are not as hard to grow successfully as some would like you to believe.

Glassdub

Glassdub

Plants are universally tougher outside but I live in Ohio so not a viable option + PM is epidemic in my area, always thought it was weird weed was so prone as its so tough skinned, destroys my cucurbits.

JJS009

JJS009

Plants are universally tougher outside but I live in Ohio so not a viable option + PM is epidemic in my area, always thought it was weird weed was so prone as its so tough skinned, destroys my cucurbits.
I live in MI and grow outside, we use Lactic acid bacteria (YouTube KNF LAB) for PM, spray from a pump sprayer every 10-14 days and haven’t had many issues this year

Southernuncle21

Southernuncle21

I don't pH my water, and I let my chickens, ducks and goose scavenge in my grow garden. They eat the insects, scratch the ground around my plants base( good aeration for the roots) and the shit all around my plants which naturally fertilize them.

C

Christos1974

I don't measure PH anymore, I know my tap water is around 7ph so I just add a quarter teaspoon PH down per gallon and it's seems fine so far. Also, I add Coconut water powder(not to be confused with coconut milk powder) non gmo, unflavored plain coconut water powder, here's what it does; Coconut water helps plants to grow faster and stronger due to the cytokinins hormones which signal the plant's cells in the roots to divide and grow shoots. Additionally, coconut water also contains gibberellic acid, which is known to increase the germination of seeds. I have 7ft plants in my 4x4, it seems to work well but only in the veg cycle

20220904 040753
20220904 040746
Southernuncle21

Southernuncle21

I'm so down with goose labor in the grow.
Whatever you do, if you ever want to try using animals to help fertilize your plants naturally, do not allow Canadian geese to get in there. They'll eat the s*** out of it. A long time ago I had some plants close to a pond used to live at and the Canadian geese ate the damn thing. The goose that I have is a Chinese crested white goose.

JJS009

JJS009

Whatever you do, if you ever want to try using animals to help fertilize your plants naturally, do not allow Canadian geese to get in there. They'll eat the s*** out of it. A long time ago I had some plants close to a pond used to live at and the Canadian geese ate the damn thing. The goose that I have is a Chinese crested white goose.
My chickens will fuck up weed and kale plants, fuckers won’t touch anything else in the garden but bugs lol

sambapati

sambapati

No No No. I was only trying to make a small pun with 'down' & 'goose'

Shaded_One

Shaded_One

He seems to talk a lot of science but I don't think we've seen any actual plants from him yet... 🤷‍♀️

which is a small sample of a large problem in the canna industry, a bunch of scientists and highly educated people that have never actually never grown a cannabis plant parading around like experts on podcasts

and these are the people they hire at dispos 🙄

R

ritoMox

Tyvm, but that one is bout B-Vitamins.
Except, the Betaine, about which I already asked elsewhere, just got no reply (you never get any reply whatsoever from that guy)

But he recomends Boron Glycinate as soil amend, so there's this.
ikr✌️

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

"Here is my strain with the perfect fertilizer" Post #8
"Since moving indoors, I grow tiny plants, 12/12 from seed" Post #49
🤷‍♂️
Personally i dont trust a word from that user… i like to think I’ve been around enough to spot the questionable posters… to me he appears extremely questionable but thats not to say i have never been wrong because well… it happens more than i like lol

A

AtlaTeryx

I think my outdoor technique is unique, but then again maybe not. I ferment all my own nutrients. Homemade lactobacillus, willow tree leaves/tips fermented, sardines fermented, eggshells fermented, bananas fermented and yellow squash fermented. Urea/water 1:20, milk/water 1:10 foliar spray, blackstrap molasses/water 1:20, epsom salt/water 1:20 foliar and ground. Garden soil, peat moss, wood ash, black wood charcoal chunks, all mixed in native soil. Ground cinnamon sprinkled around plant on soil. RO water, well water and rain. I'm in zone 4, so kinda tough.

Madmax

Madmax

Personally i dont trust a word from that user… i like to think I’ve been around enough to spot the questionable posters… to me he appears extremely questionable but thats not to say i have never been wrong because well… it happens more than i like lol
The majority of root growth is mostly done during flowering as they turn there energy into bud growth.take some pics of your roots in flower after topping and see how much more they grow..even if topping makes the plants grow more roots ...so what.doesnt take the energy away from bud production..

TSD

TSD

@shaganja "Tight buds. And buds are almost a year old, and still getting smells when I open the jar. The buzz is way better than dispo. I can smoke dispo all day, but my weed has the forgetful factor. You set the joint down unintentionally. Forget because your stoned! Lol The buzz is deeper, more introspective, lasts longer, and comes down easier. I can now say its official. My weed is better than dispo. The only thing they have, is curb appeal. My outdoor doesnt seem to shine as much."
💯 I've been smoking my stuff since last November and it still smells delightful and potent whenever I get into my grove bags for a jar refill and definitely still gets me high. I feel the same about the dispo weed, gets you baked, but it's short lived, sometimes too baked cause you get paranoid, then it's done... like crack or something lol. I need to smoke a couple times an hour or more to maintain a buzz with the dispo stuff, my stuff gets me baked and keeps me on a nice even keel for several hours, and I definitely get the forgetful factor, I loose my gardening tools at least 10 times a day lol. I just had my first puffle of the day, went for a few bong rips, and I'm loving life lol. As far as curb appeal, I can get mine looking pretty good, and they tighten up nicely during cure... it just takes hours of mind numbing dry trimming to get everything manicured up. Many of the big operations get thier curb appeal with automatic trimmers and tumblers that make the nugs hard while stealing trichomes for other uses... cheaters... I have to do it the old fashioned way, with tiny scissors till my hands cramp, then I just use my fingers till they are too sticky to be useful lol.

TSD

TSD

I think my outdoor technique is unique, but then again maybe not. I ferment all my own nutrients. Homemade lactobacillus, willow tree leaves/tips fermented, sardines fermented, eggshells fermented, bananas fermented and yellow squash fermented. Urea/water 1:20, milk/water 1:10 foliar spray, blackstrap molasses/water 1:20, epsom salt/water 1:20 foliar and ground. Garden soil, peat moss, wood ash, black wood charcoal chunks, all mixed in native soil. Ground cinnamon sprinkled around plant on soil. RO water, well water and rain. I'm in zone 4, so kinda tough.
I'm zone 4 as well, it can be a rough go, but the results are delicious when you make it to harvest. Those nice cool fall nights really make them tasty.

Latest posts

Top Bottom