The captain’s inquiry, what is everyone’s thoughts on stalk splitting the last week before harvest?

• Thread starter Captspaulding
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Wuddup_B

Wuddup_B

Bad news, I was trimming a plant I harvested last week and found small seeds in them. Did a search and found the plant I took a pic of hermed. Darn nanners were hard to find because they were tiny and curled back into the calyxes. About 8 buds had nanners. Ended up doing an emergency harvest. The drilling didn't cause it since the plant I trimmed is about a week and a half dried.

I think one of my small girls may have gotten pollinated. Her buds look different than what they normally would. All the other plants seem to be okay so far. I wouldn't mind the mix of one, it's a French Macaron (my favorite) and Barney's Mac. Guess I'll see in a few weeks if any of them produce some seeds.

7munkee

7munkee

Bad news, I was trimming a plant I harvested last week and found small seeds in them. Did a search and found the plant I took a pic of hermed. Darn nanners were hard to find because they were tiny and curled back into the calyxes. About 8 buds had nanners. Ended up doing an emergency harvest. The drilling didn't cause it since the plant I trimmed is about a week and a half dried.

I think one of my small girls may have gotten pollinated. Her buds look different than what they normally would. All the other plants seem to be okay so far. I wouldn't mind the mix of one, it's a French Macaron (my favorite) and Barney's Mac. Guess I'll see in a few weeks if any of them produce some seeds.
Free feminized seeds?

Wuddup_B

Wuddup_B

Free feminized seeds?
Yeah, if they mature before harvest. I only pulled two immature seeds from the trim last night. I'll germ them and see what happens.

I still have 2 weeks to wait on the next little girl to see if she's pregnant and 3 week on a big girl.

The immature seeds are Durban Poison x MAC, both Barney's.

Last edited:
Wuddup_B

Wuddup_B

Just a guess right now, but the chitosan may have caused the stress. It's the third grow using chitosan and I bumped up the dosage from 50 mg per qt of water to 100mg. Next clone and other plants will stick with 50mg. This is the 2nd full sized grow but I've grown 2 32oz cups from the clones of the MAC.

Wuddup_B

Wuddup_B

4 more weeks and I'll give it another go. Only thing is that it may be hard to see on this strain. It has dark purple/black buds with dark purple trichomes. It's Barney's Durban Poison but mine came out dark purple instead of green.

D

Drgreenthumbs1

We'd have to do a controlled comparison, using clones.......I mean, is there any science or at least worthy experiments that say it works? You'd think by now everyone would be bangin' stems...
None. It’s BS.

Itscheese94

Itscheese94

only one way to find out cap, next time im there ill hammer a screwdriver through it.😁
Nails

Split

Z

Zill

There is nothing to support the idea that splitting or driving metal spikes in a plants trunk makes monster resin dripping buds. In fact if you read the article the Captain posted it pathetically mentions that bummed out, depressed stressed plants somehow understand this and begin to take up nutrients like crazy and this in turn positively affects buds and potency. Spare me. How can plants increase the concentrations of water soluble nutrients present in the soil.

Don’t split and turn off your green lights. Dr. Greenthumbs said it better.

Itscheese94

Itscheese94

ive got like a couple, of weeks before rot hits and kills the plant what difference is it going to make. not doing it.?

Itscheese94

Itscheese94

so say ive got 2 weeks not doing it, is going to do nothing. plants them self when stressed mainly at the end of the year, put on weight as a last ditch effort to make buds. i have seen this multiple times with different strains, if splitting the stem in half isnt going to stress a plant id be surprized. ive already seen it when plants brake with the wind.

Z

Zill

It’s not splitting. It’s the the claim that splitting the trunk induces a stress condition that a plant responds to by sucking up loads of nutrients. That’s the BS part.

BuggzNuggz

BuggzNuggz

It’s not splitting. It’s the the claim that splitting the trunk induces a stress condition that a plant responds to by sucking up loads of nutrients. That’s the BS part.
So what causes the extra production of resin? I had three different stains and all three reacted by extra production after staples were inserted.

Z

Zill

Buggz,

Not criticizing, but explain your DOE that allows you to make such claims. Who did the resin analysis? How many plants were in each treatment? Did you have the same number in each treatment or unequal sample sizes? How many times was the experiment repeated? Was there a plant position effect? Did all the treatments receive the same water/feeding/pruning?

Or is your claim asked on a bioassay, the head high. Don’t forget to flush your plants prior to harvest.

BuggzNuggz

BuggzNuggz

Buggz,

Not criticizing, but explain your DOE that allows you to make such claims. Who did the resin analysis? How many plants were in each treatment? Did you have the same number in each treatment or unequal sample sizes? How many times was the experiment repeated? Was there a plant position effect? Did all the treatments receive the same water/feeding/pruning?

Or is your claim asked on a bioassay, the head high. Don’t forget to flush your plants prior to harvest.
There in the ground no need to flush and they were all treated equally i.e.(feeding, pruning, age,ect.) I've been growing outdoor for 4-5 years and had a PSK last season and the effects on this seasons PSK was significantly more resinous than the last season sample. There were also three staples in each plant 4 inches above the ground. No worries this is what the forum is for. 😁

Z

Zill

All good Buggz. To be fair, maybe that growing years weather made the difference not the staples.
If you like to staple then staple.

I was kidding about the flush. Flushing makes even less sense than driving metal spikes into a plants trunk.

BuggzNuggz

BuggzNuggz

All good Buggz. To be fair, maybe that growing years weather made the difference not the staples.
If you like to staple then staple.

I was kidding about the flush. Flushing makes even less sense than driving metal spikes into a plants trunk.
Yeah it was good to try I normally don't do it this was the first time I've tried it. I'm still working on growing inside I built a grow room in my spare bedroom this year. It will give me a lot more space to work with.

Z

Zill

Like you I grow outdoors. If you’re considering moving the operation in doors there are folks here with loads of experience. Buy used equipment, Craig’s list.

BuggzNuggz

BuggzNuggz

Like you I grow outdoors. If you’re considering moving the operation in doors there are folks here with loads of experience. Buy used equipment, Craig’s list.
Yeah I will definitely be checking out the advice. I'm glad I checked this site out. I do both in and outdoor growing. I'm getting ready to germ these seeds for the 1st indoor run of fall season.
20231007 125906

Z

Zill

Buggz,

You're going to be busy. Actually, in a few threads the indoor guys have cautioned folks not to over crowd the grow space. Consider that before sowing your seeds.

Ask the Captain.

Latest posts

Top Bottom