The captain’s inquiry, what is everyone’s thoughts on stalk splitting the last week before harvest?

• Thread starter Captspaulding
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Itscheese94

Itscheese94

like this one.😂😂😂
Hotdog

7munkee

7munkee

My crew and I used to do this in the 80's. Drive a nail through the stalk about 2 weeks before harvest. I don't know if it did anything...all we had was seeds we got out of random bags.

It takes 6 weeks for a trichome to form and fill up, so this does NOT produce more trichomes in two weeks. But it may help the others that have already formed to fill up with resin faster.

Itscheese94

Itscheese94

never done it myself but it has to do something, when plants go through stress they sometimes put on more resin, also sometimes when harvest time the stems are dripping in resin. so all that goes to the buds much like drying upside down.

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

What’s the matter? Don’t like clowns? 🤡
Supporter
Not for me and my garden, thanks. A little defoliation stress is enough, I think. No need to go all medieval on the nice plant.
Have you ever read up on it? There are some really interesting things from some great og banks that have been around for ever have put out on it. I get it though. It extreme. I’ve had zero issues over the years doing it. It’s def an interesting topic.

Gmix

Gmix

Supporter
What are my thoughts lol

A stupid idea that got out of control during the late 80s early 90s been there won the t shirt and got the duff prize 🤣

All in jest bud bar from experience it was just a silly idea

Last edited:
simonkay

simonkay

I got a few topped plants like 5 ish weeks from harvest and if all goes well I will select 1 branch and see how it does compared to the others.
From what I've read branches are less risky than the main stem so if anyone wants to dip their toes, a branch would be good way to see for yourself

Here is the link for the study on girdling from 2020

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

Supporter
I got a few topped plants like 5 ish weeks from harvest and if all goes well I will select 1 branch and see how it does compared to the others.
From what I've read branches are less risky than the main stem so if anyone wants to dip their toes, a branch would be good way to see for yourself

Here is the link for the study on girdling from 2020
My homie! Nice, options. Always good to have options!

the rrock

the rrock

We'd have to do a controlled comparison, using clones.......I mean, is there any science or at least worthy experiments that say it works? You'd think by now everyone would be bangin' stems...
yeah we tried all these gimmicks 40+ years ago and worse(boiling roots lol) did tons of side by side comparisons.After 6 or so months we turned our attention to microbial teas and that is what made our plants a cut above.Patience,experience and creativity makes for a successful grower since 1977.If splitting manipulating the stalks wouldnt that be a thing like for commercial growing(vegetables,fruit trees etc,etc.

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

Supporter
What are my thoughts lol

A stupid idea that got out of control during the late 80s early 90s been there won the t shirt and got the duff prize 🤣

All in jest bud bar from experience it was just a silly idea
Hey I get that bro, I really just wanted to start the debate, not trying to convince anyone to do it really, just hoping that folks read up on it, and make an educated decision on whether it’s something you would want to try. I was definitely curious when I got the pamphlet about it 10 ish years ago. My intent really was to just educate. The more you know type of deal……

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

Supporter
We'd have to do a controlled comparison, using clones.......I mean, is there any science or at least worthy experiments that say it works? You'd think by now everyone would be bangin' stems...

yeah we tried all these gimmicks 40+ years ago and worse(boiling roots lol) did tons of side by side comparisons.After 6 or so months we turned our attention to microbial teas and that is what made our plants a cut above.Patience,experience and creativity makes for a successful grower since 1977.If splitting manipulating the stalks wouldnt that be a thing like for commercial growing(vegetables,fruit trees etc,etc.
They do buddy

Top Bottom