The Crystal Palace is back, now with a Spiderfarmer SE5000.

• Thread starter Dirtbag
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Moshmen

Moshmen

brewing beer is on the list of things to do, that's the whole reason i started growing crops. problem is, i have too much other shit going on in life right now to be trying to brew beer too. i still need to mix up a batch of agar and get this year's mushroom crops under way. can't do outdoor beds without tons of spawn. hoping for a ton of different oysters this year.

question for y'all, not relevant to this thread. i've been wanting to build an indoor NFT setup for growing herbs and lettuces. seeing some conflicting info on the ol google machine and was wondering if anyone has input on this simple question: pipes vs gutters for NFT?

reason i ask is i came across some literature saying something about the surface of the channels needs to be flat, not curved at all.
My buddy runs round piping for lettuce - for the herbs he’s just in a flat flood pan in straight perlite flood and drain type

Moshmen

Moshmen

My #1 all time favourite driving song. I should say speeding down the highway in a snowstorm in the middle of the night song. Lol. There is a story. Not gonna tell it. But this was the soundtrack.

The breakdown at 2:18 is the most driving beat I've ever peaked to lol.

Bout cancel Spotify and just stream ur thread ! Great tunes here all the time from multiple genres love it

Moshmen

Moshmen

I'll be honest, most times I grow from seed I'm disappointed. I've been spoiled.
My friend will sometimes sprout literally thousands of seeds and only keep a handful of plants. He estimates that true keepers emerge about 1 in 1000 plants on average but some breeders have better odds and more stabilized traits. He is a big fan of Thug Pug, Sin City and archive for modern strain breeders. But he's got an unholy collection of seeds that he's collected from breeders for the last 20+years.
Not to say 999/1000 is crap, just that very few tick ALL the boxes. Pest resistance, Bag appeal, yield, ease of growth, aroma, flavour, effects, stability. A lot of plants will have some or most, but few hit the mark on all.
His cuts end up in some breathtakingly enormous grow rooms, and he doesn't fuck around.
I just acquired a few packs from sin city - I fucked up and let the first batch dry out ! This is the lone triple cherry diesel survivor so we are hopeful- hearing props from ur growmies definitely gives me hope ! One things for sure you and ur boys know what doing out on that island for sure !

another great run ! Thanx for Sharing again ! Good stuff

rDWCNoob

rDWCNoob

I dont man, I have a memory like a fuckin sieve these days. But I'm super stoked to see it working so well for you dude. It's one of those techniques that defies commonly held beliefs, but it fuckin works. I'm wishing I had pulled a few more now, probably still will, but it'll have to be over a stretch of time so i don't stress them too much.

Bringing up an old post I know, trying to get caught up on this thread. This is where I was at with my current grow. I did it much less than previously and found myself wanting to do more but not too much that theyd be stressed. But Im now wondering if even that was too much later in flower. Im running a clone of the white runts for my next run, just a single plant lol. Im going to do a full strip sometime around week 2, much like @tobh did his. I wasnt sure if it would handle it as it was kinda spindly compared to the Bruce Banner, so I didnt do it nearly as much in early flower and instead just plucked the ones in the way to open things up, but I found myself wishing I had just done it earlier and left it stress free for the last 6-7 weeks. But now that Ive seen the plant grow, the stem and bud structure just seem perfect for a full strip, so thats the plan. The clone is already started and if all goes well Ill be harvesting around the first week of June :) We'll see how it goes.

Yeah im trying to learn something here as I think a pattern is emerging. I also felt the last one started ripening too early around week 6, and wasn't really sure why. I knew the second hard strip stressed them as I was finding the occasional immature seed. The main reason I didn't go as hard this time. But now seeing them thrive much more so than last round, makes me think that second hard strip could be more detrimental than I originally thought.
Again that first hard strip is a no brainer.. but the second one... jury is still out.

Im kinda seeing the same on my grow, but it could also be an underwatering event around week 4 or 5 that started early maturation for me. But when I do stripping I do it once, just after week 2 or when the bud starts to set in with the idea being to completely open up every bud site to full light. After that, nothing, no more defoliation, just a stress free coast through flower. Im still experimenting to see what works better, but after this run and my previous one as well as this thread, Im leaning back towards a single big strip. Ive seen people say "week 3" to do the strip, but when I look at examples and then my own grow, its actually the end of week 2, so day 14-16, not day 21, or at least thats what it appeared to me.

That being said, when I first started growing on my own I found a channel on youtube called TruCanna, it was called HiGrow Group at the time. The guy in those vids does rockwool and crop steering in like 30 light rooms. Dude grows some FAT freaking buds, like he's claiming 3lbs per light and from the vids I believe it. His video on feeding rockwool is what I was looking to strive for when I started, but have never gotten around to setting up irrigation lines. Well, in one of his vids he talks about how he doesnt do the full strip method in flower "anymore", but also says that doing so works quite well. He kinda explains that he now does things differently so that there is no need to strip in flower He does all his defoliation prior to the flip. This was going to be one of my next experiments, heavy defoliation prior to flower then nothing at all after that.

Here's the one on how he does his pre-flower strip:

Heres vid on feeding rockwool:

And another on nutes and environment:

I noticed you and @tobh talking about a first and second strip. At what points are you referring to first and second? I usually do lollipopping a week or 2 prior to flip, is that the first strip youre referring to? Are you also doing a full strip of all/most fan leaves at that point as well? Sorry if this is addressed earlier in the thread, Ive not read all of it, theres a lot here lol.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
I noticed you and @tobh talking about a first and second strip. At what points are you referring to first and second? I usually do lollipopping a week or 2 prior to flip, is that the first strip youre referring to? Are you also doing a full strip of all/most fan leaves at that point as well? Sorry if this is addressed earlier in the thread, Ive not read all of it, theres a lot here lol.
So first strip happens three or four days before flip. This is to give the girls time to recover from any potential stress, and allows for dialing the lights back a bit without seriously hurting progress since we don't want to stress the plants with intense light after just having every single fan leaf pulled off. Pulling every single fan leaf, only leaving growth tips is how that first one goes. Even pulling some of the lower branching is ideal, anything that simply won't make it to reasonable canopy level gets plucked.

that being said, i think @Dirtbag has refined the method to near perfection. this was my first time doing it, and it's outright nerve racking taking off so much foliage. Like, we're talking entire plants worth of leaf material being pulled off. The result are super impressive though, especially with the rebound during the first 21 days.

I agree with the second strip though. Day 21 seems too late in hindsight. I think day 15-17 might be better so that they are still in a bit of growth mode when that final bit of stress hits versus that stress completely stalling them out. I likely won't go as heavy as I did the second time again either, it was quite apparent that the girls were not happy about that.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
this is by far one of the wildest music videos i've seen in a loooooong time haha fuckin nuts. 🤣
dying laughing at my own jokes over here hahaha damn. when it's good, it's good. 🍻

tobh

tobh

Supporter
Oliver tree is fuckin dope man lol

shit... this one reminds me of these weird russian cats i came across about two years ago. can't recall wtf they're called. similar sound, damn near the same cinematography. lemme ask the ol lady if she knows who i'm talking about. they might've been german. either way. really weird videos with the same feel to em.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
nah, it's this group of like two old german or russian cats, and they make pretty solid music, and their videos are nuts. groups of 9+ people in abandoned buildings or empty cityscapes in suits or paint suits with kabuki masks and whatnot. really crazy shit.

Top Bottom