The high cost of Seeds !!!!!!!!!!???????????

• Thread starter hawkman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
FuriousStyles

FuriousStyles

The weed I grew in the 90s was better than I have now and I never bought a seed until 2018
Hit and miss I would say. I remember sorting through stuff and picking out the good buds to keep for myself out of numerous plants.

growsince79

growsince79

Seriously, how many of us thought of actually counting leaf serrations on the 4th node, that has the even finger count on the leaf, during week 4 of veg and know that ONE is the keeper out of the other 100 that look just like it, out of 1000 or 10000 plants? And that plant when paired with another plant (found in similar fashion) will reliably give you the desired plant in seed form.
I don't think counting leaf serrations is a good way to pick winners. 🤣

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

The weed I grew in the 90s was better than I have now and I never bought a seed until 2018.
I grew some really good weed in the early 90s, but I don't know how I'd judge it today. Always bagseed back then, for me.

I grew indoors from 2004-2015, then took a couple of years off. (No choice. I didn't say to myself, "Wow, I can use a vacation from growing weed!") I built up a large supply of seeds from the pre-time off period. A lot of what I've purchased in the last few years seems a bit more potent than the average pre-2015 stuff that I've got.

Of course, I might have just been growing the wrong weed between 2004 and 2015.

Bluntsmoke

Bluntsmoke

What's to stop another breeder from buying said expensive seeds and making his own collection of the same seed and calling it a different name but at the same time insinuating what it really is? I think I have a plan 😂

Johnlandy420

Johnlandy420

Supporter
F1 is prolly the best gen for the indoor grower who is looking to just grow some smoke for themselves. i wouldn’t call um unstable, they would have the best hybrid vigor of all the filial generations, lowest variety amoung phenotypes. The F2 is a generation I would consider the best for pheno hunting. Lots of variety amoung plants.

not to many breeders growing the numbers to carry on any further, just cause someone did F3s and F4s guarantees nothing. I could go to F3 in one on one matings which would mean what, nothing if I didn’t look at enough plants to improve the line in the next gen. Talk with breeders that have that experience and most cases the seedline will get worse not better in further filial gens without large plant numbers.

does not take very many generations with small populations for inbred depression to occur, no matter how good the plants.
If you didn’t look at enough plants to improve next generation? A good breeder wouldn’t keep going that far for no reason..F3 and F4 are absolutely more stable if the breeder has any clue what they are doing.

growsince79

growsince79

What's to stop another breeder from buying said expensive seeds and making his own collection of the same seed and calling it a different name but at the same time insinuating what it really is? I think I have a plan 😂
Why call it anything different? Everyone copies names. They even copy the name when the genetics are nothing like the name they copy.

Neuro

Neuro

If you plant ice, you're gonna harvest wind.
That's a little unfair, I'd say.

I'd rather buy from a breeder who sends out testers to different kinds of growers in different locations. That some testers could be better photographers than the breeder is not shame on the breeder.
Is it shame on the breeder if they sell commercially and other growers do better with their strain? Just a thought. Archive grows and sells commercially here in OR and as much as I love their work I have to say there's a lot of folks who grow it better.

P

Pike

If you didn’t look at enough plants to improve next generation? A good breeder wouldn’t keep going that far for no reason..F3 and F4 are absolutely more stable if the breeder has any clue what they are doing.
what do you mean by stable? Less hermie plants, less mutants, or more plants look alike. If your saying that a population is closer in appearance, that would be homozygos, which damn sure isn’t accomplished by F3/4. Have many lines at F3/4 and on, have a line ive worked for 20 years, it’s at F9. The F9 gen is t even close to the F3. Why did I keep going, i wanted to see for myself. Always small populations, I do t have the facilities to run 100s at a time. But I damn sure know what takes place using populations of 40 or less.

the largest breeders, the guys from the day, they didn’t offer beyond the F1 in most all there offerings. Talk with some of the guys that have been doing it for sometime, and see what they say about it.

no hate bro, just disagree is all:)

zzzybil

zzzybil

cheers to the real breeders putting YEARS into their life's work !! Genetics vs random luck - PAY'M ........usually in life yuh get whatcha pay for . Lost everything hurricane ida - need a shitty tester lol .......... promise you pics . The reality isif you can afford pedigrees and clone some babies................eventually yuh got a great deal

Johnlandy420

Johnlandy420

Supporter
what do you mean by stable? Less hermie plants, less mutants, or more plants look alike. If your saying that a population is closer in appearance, that would be homozygos, which damn sure isn’t accomplished by F3/4. Have many lines at F3/4 and on, have a line ive worked for 20 years, it’s at F9. The F9 gen is t even close to the F3. Why did I keep going, i wanted to see for myself. Always small populations, I do t have the facilities to run 100s at a time. But I damn sure know what takes place using populations of 40 or less.

the largest breeders, the guys from the day, they didn’t offer beyond the F1 in most all there offerings. Talk with some of the guys that have been doing it for sometime, and see what they say about it.

Talked with some of the guys who have been doing it for a long time.

Pike, I have talked with some of the guys and I actually know about genetics. Perhaps you could refresh yourself. Closer in appearance? No, that would be phenotype and the population wouldn't have to be homozygous to reflect that. This isn’t simple two trait shit. I am absolutely talking about what stability should mean to most. Vigorous growth, Drought/mold resistance, etc. These are reflected by the genotype of the plants. And no, I am not talking about your 2 trait punnet square cross. Did you know there are breeders who have been getting DNA analysis of their shit for over 7 years now? Did you know people are running lines and lines of PCR on cannabis metabolism for said plants? This isn’t just selective breeding anymore.
it really is with love bro.

GrowHobo

GrowHobo

Pike, I have talked with some of the guys and I actually know about genetics. Perhaps you could refresh yourself. Closer in appearance? No, that would be phenotype and the population wouldn't have to be homozygous to reflect that. This isn’t simple two trait shit. I am absolutely talking about what stability should mean to most. Vigorous growth, Drought/mold resistance, etc. These are reflected by the genotype of the plants. And no, I am not talking about your 2 trait punnet square cross. Did you know there are breeders who have been getting DNA analysis of their shit for over 7 years now? Did you know people are running lines and lines of PCR on cannabis metabolism for said plants? This isn’t just selective breeding anymore.
it really is with love bro.
Who? I’m genuinely curious

Glassdub

Glassdub

I think a lot of us have been spoiled over the last 40 years. Not many will remember when seeded brick mexicali was all most people had. Or the start of Reagans war when things went completely dry and a bag of fan leafs was going for real money. Just being able to have access to the genetics today is a wonder in and of itself and something I am truly grateful to have. Talk to people who paid couple hundred dollars for one seed early nineties.

Sounds to me like a lot of haters mad because somebody making money, instead of trying to get their own paper up.
Uh, no, I grew up in the 70's when seedless weed was a rarity & most of the time I feel middle age on this forum. 😏

Microstraincollector

Microstraincollector

I feel like there's a lot of branding and new "strains" popping up with fancy names... Social media pushes breeders names and their strains like wildfire across the interwebs way faster... All you need is some followers and a pic with a high end camera then boom, instant credibility for the genetic. Here's a scary thought, picture full legalization based on medicinal use which allows for pharma companies to start copyrighting the genetics. How much would they charge ?

Top Bottom