The History of OG Kush

• Thread starter Green Dot
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Krypto

Krypto

I personally started smoking weed in the 90's was born in 1978. I'm no expert on weed history but I've had the real og kush strain for almost 20 years and the privilege to know a few old school growers who knew what's up back then. Unfortunately marijuana was illegal then so it's tough to find historical documented facts. Back in the 90's here in southern California there was stress weed (Mexican weed) Chronic and Kush was referred to the kind the best of the best. I really don't know what happened in the 2000's and beyond cause most current strains from dispensaries except for the real og kush and the real bubba kush to me is garbage which have probably been tainted with Dutch genetics. Which to me is not great weed at all. The dutch have done more harm to the weed market with their high yielding, great looking stuff that don't really pack the punch. Nobody gave a shit in Holland about OG kush back in the day and now all their new strains seem to have an og kush base. Those og kush and skunk like strains from the 90's that I encountered were killer, way better than most these strains you now find at local dispensaries. The skunk like stuff was one of my personal favorites and I can't seem to find it anymore. I always wonder what happened to all those og like strains that I encountered in the early and late 90's? All I seem to see now are these knock offs that yield great and have the looks but don't pack the punch. Plus with all the PGR's that growers now use to gain more weight are now ruining the quality of OG kush. Products like phosphoload etc. I have friends that grow my og cut with that stuff and it does not even compare with the way I grow it. Plus with all the new high yielding commercial og strains going around, it has become harder and harder to get the real deal. I'm from the San Fernando valley where OG kush was made famous and if you want to find the good OG kush these days then it's probably going by the name of PR OG. Mot dispensaries here now call it the Private Reserve.
I totally dig what you're saying too. The OG thing has just been so diluted and bastardized... I was in Florida back in 94 and I remember smoking Krippie...
And then move to the West Coast for 10 years and during the mid to late nineties up to 2004 and there are a lot of knockoffs out there that is for damn sure. My question... Have you made any crosses with you or I guess it's the triangle Kush, or 92 Florida, what do you call it actually. Just OG Kush? And of course my next question you probably already could imagine...
Do you ever share your genetics?

THELORAX802

THELORAX802

XXX og but i have no clue how it got to where it is. I am of the belief that alot of indica dom hybrids have been turned into "sleeping meds" type buzzes rather than anything else that stands out. Lots of great herb went through the hands of engineers at IBM on the east coast from the years of 1980-1994 for us in vermont. Tons of great smoke, some very exotic but in the end they all pretty much burned like cigarettes (white ashes ) not the case nowadays! anyway..................pretty kool reminicsing.

Chunky bitches
XXX og

Judaz

Judaz

I totally dig what you're saying too. The OG thing has just been so diluted and bastardized... I was in Florida back in 94 and I remember smoking Krippie...
And then move to the West Coast for 10 years and during the mid to late nineties up to 2004 and there are a lot of knockoffs out there that is for damn sure. My question... Have you made any crosses with you or I guess it's the triangle Kush, or 92 Florida, what do you call it actually. Just OG Kush? And of course my next question you probably already could imagine...
Do you ever share your genetics?

Well I don't have a name for it. I just give the product to the dispensaries I work with and they usually call it their Private Reserve and sits as the top og for their place.

My old school friend started back crossing it 4 years ago and we are at f10. We would like to get it to f13-f15 before we start using the males to breed it with other good strains. I don't give the cut to anyone but may trade it to someone who has an og or and old school skunk that is at par with it. But I will make the seeds available when we reach f13 and beyond.

THELORAX802

THELORAX802

Jons outdoor
This is a vermont strain circa.......late 70's early 80's, transplants from the bay area of california brought it here, and it had a couple diff names it went by, P2 or the crippler, lol. As you can see though it made me very happy! Heard it had a skunk parentage from the bay area but idk really.

Wisher619

Wisher619

Wow this blows my mind. How can 2 cuts from the same mother look so different given that clones from the same mother should be identically the same. Now I know environment can play a role and make them look different but if you have both of them in the same exact environment and take cuts from each and then place them in the same exact environment with the same nutes then they should look the same. If not then maybe they are not the same og. Were you there to witness your friend take these 2 clones from the same mom?
yeah I was standing right next to him with a cup of water
he was making clones and I grabbed a cup and told him to give me some
he was trimming the lower half of the plant of some riff raff and pulled a clone from there then he snipped one off the top

once in flower they look and act the same after stretch
about 3 weeks into flower they shoot the same sugar leaves and bud structure
but in veg they look different
always have
Like I said.....defy's science

dont know what to tell you

this is exactly the reason why I believe there are so many names of OG

I believe this plant is a genetic anomaly in that it walks a really fine line
and where it grows and well many different factors play a role
@Judaz I dont know if you have but....I believe if you ran any of the other "Certified" cuts they would grow the same flowers even if the plant itself looks slightly different

Last edited:
Judaz

Judaz

yeah I was standing right next to him with a cup of water
he was making clones and I grabbed a cup and told him to give me some
he was trimming the lower half of the plant of some riff raff and pulled a clone from there then he snipped one off the top

once in flower they look and act the same after stretch
about 3 weeks into flower they shoot the same sugar leaves and bud structure
but in veg they look different
always have
Like I said.....defy's science

dont know what to tell you

this is exactly the reason why I believe there are so many names of OG

I believe this plant is a genetic anomaly in that it walks a really fine line
and where it grows and well many different factors play a role
@Judaz I dont know if you have but....I believe if you ran any of the other "Certified" cuts they would grow the same flowers even if the plant itself looks slightly different

Very interesting. I'm
Sitting here with my old school friend grower and he says that it's possible for this to happen.

P

Pimples

Wow this blows my mind. How can 2 cuts from the same mother look so different given that clones from the same mother should be identically the same. Now I know environment can play a role and make them look different but if you have both of them in the same exact environment and take cuts from each and then place them in the same exact environment with the same nutes then they should look the same. If not then maybe they are not the same og. Were you there to witness your friend take these 2 clones from the same mom?
Good question.

P

Pimples

Does anyone know the lowdown on the Diamond Og cut? I was gifted a few a little while back and just kinda kept her on the back burner in my veg room. About to put some in rotation. Heard its sorta popular out west.

P

Pimples

I am under the belief that different parts of the plant may carry differ amounts of hormones which may or may not express different genetic traits or atleast help facilitate differ expressions
I get what yer saying. Like how early in life seed plants have that wide leaf set and later the leaves form much thinner blades.

Judaz

Judaz

Does anyone know the lowdown on the Diamond Og cut? I was gifted a few a little while back and just kinda kept her on the back burner in my veg room. About to put some in rotation. Heard its sorta popular out west.

I've heard of it before and have sampled it here in la. It's pretty high quality if grown right. Just a notch under my og cut but still better than most og's https://www.leafly.com/indica/diamond-og

Judaz

Judaz

XXX og but i have no clue how it got to where it is. I am of the belief that alot of indica dom hybrids have been turned into "sleeping meds" type buzzes rather than anything else that stands out. Lots of great herb went through the hands of engineers at IBM on the east coast from the years of 1980-1994 for us in vermont. Tons of great smoke, some very exotic but in the end they all pretty much burned like cigarettes (white ashes ) not the case nowadays! anyway..................pretty kool reminicsing.

View attachment 649111 XXX og

Definitely can see the stronger Indica genetics in this og cut. Is this the XXX og made by Swerve?

Krypto

Krypto

Well I don't have a name for it. I just give the product to the dispensaries I work with and they usually call it their Private Reserve and sits as the top og for their place.

My old school friend started back crossing it 4 years ago and we are at f10. We would like to get it to f13-f15 before we start using the males to breed it with other good strains. I don't give the cut to anyone but may trade it to someone who has an og or and old school skunk that is at par with it. But I will make the seeds available when we reach f13 and beyond.
That's awesome man.

Krypto

Krypto

View attachment 649111 XXX og

Judaz

Judaz

Looking at this site and noticing all these other OG strains they have listed as having a lemony smell to it but when they describe the true OG Kush they say

"OG Kush, which has given rise to countless West Coast strains, has an earthy, wood taste and a strong pine scent. It's most popular in California, the Pacific Northwest, and Colorado" Just like I have described it. It's not that lemony stuff most others describe it as. When its properly grown by the right grower and when you take a hit from a clean glass bong, you will notice the smoothness of the hit and when you hold it for a few secs you sense that expando punch to your lungs and as you exhale it you taste the richness of the earthy/piney flavor that leaves an actual after taste in your mouth that you will savor seconds after you have already blown the smoke out. That's how the original OG kush or the one that everyone describes as the legendary clone only sativa dominant strain smokes like.

https://www.allbud.com/marijuana-strains/sativa-dominant-hybrid/og-kush

When I sent my sample in for testing, I had not cured it in a jar. It was fresh of the trim and that explains why the CBN number came back as 0%. The 1% CBN should develop after the buds have been properly cured for a while.

Screen Shot 2016 11 29 at 81903 PM
Thc og
Screen Shot 2016 11 29 at 85628 PM

Last edited:
Judaz

Judaz

I found the og genome project galaxy map see link below.

If you go to link you can see the results of the genome project to see how close all the different og's compare to the real og kush. look for different og strains submitted and see how close they get to the real og. click on view details to see detailed relationships.

http://galaxy.phylosbioscience.com/?id=7284&hl=3cafd164073b-TSCA

Screen Shot 2016 11 29 at 114209 PM
Judaz

Judaz

This is how it works. I searched for SFV. Which was a strain name sent by someone in Harbor Side Oakland.

They then give you some graphs:

They basically tell you who the relatives are to the sample sent and what other samples sent by name are clones of the same strain genetics. What they define as clone is basically two samples that are so identical that their differences are indistinguishable from experimental noise. Which may most likely mean that they are S1 phenos that came from the original early 90's cut or cuts which is similar to seeds that share the same genetics but when you sprout them they express variation within the strain of the original cross. Cross Thai and Afghani and the seeds you get share the same genetics from the same parents but when you sprout them they come out a little different. Some more thai and some more afghani. Which produces buds that lean more thai and other buds that lean more on the afghani side. Hence similar but the same. Like they may look the same but smell and or taste a little different. High may be different too. So this most likely means there is no unique og kush as they are all og kush. So which strain is the real og kush then that gave rise to all these s1 phenos? That will always be the mystery and an on going debate. All I know is where my og cut came from which is the one described in the Adam Dunn Show and from the 100's of samples of I tried I'm yet to find another one that I can truly say is better than the pheno that came from the Florida bag. And we still go back to the same other mystery. What is og kush? We will never know because who knows where all those unique strains from back in the day went. They were never tested for dna. Can we say that we can get the real thai sticks anymore, the real purple afghani, those amazing skunk strains? Probably lost in the mix. Since these original strains were never mapped because weed was illegal back then, so that is probably why we will never figure out the mystery of the OG kush lineage.
Screen Shot 2016 11 30 at 124641 AM
Screen Shot 2016 11 30 at 124704 AM
Screen Shot 2016 11 30 at 124729 AM
Screen Shot 2016 11 30 at 124736 AM
Screen Shot 2016 11 30 at 125251 AM

Last edited:
Natural

Natural

Can you post a pic of it. I would love to see it and sample the buds if you are in So Cal. I got the Florida cut. I got mine from a music engineer who got it from B real from cypress hill
Sorry bud got busy..I don't archive like I used to..I surely don't have her dialed yet by any means. Only thing I got to show right now is a freshly flipped plant. Just got her this fall and haven't played with it much. You can go to Green Angel and grab a sample if you're in the area. Or be patient with me. I'm not in socal.
She likes her dry times like most og's. She's on a dry down so she's not really praying atm.
I'd say her look in general reminds me of that chem fam look, that stardawg and wifi have. They say the best og is the one you can dial. It took Loompa 4 years before he figured out his HB cut..lol. This one is no exception..pretty picky plant..any parameters off a little and she goes sideways pretty quick. I'd say the nugs are classic old school OG..not really lemon pinesol or lemon pledge..just that sort of cheesy sweet OG funk..like clean perfume..a bit earthy like LHB but really not as gasoline just lighter and sweeter. I'm not really good with explaining smells. I'm sure things will change the better I do with her. Be patient with me and I'll show some nugs when they pop. Smoke is smooth..but very expansive. I'd say Loompa's HB seems stronger..like lhb gives your head that diesel feeling..this one has a lighter feel to it..but it has that narcotic body relax and the feeling like if you move to quick you might throw up.
I be testing alot of others right now too..and I really don't crop OG..just a bit for the head really. TK and LHB for sure..got some High Octane clones..I've heard it called Heirloom OG, so I'm curious about it. Jews..Face Off..BTY on the list to try too.

you can see the troubled bottom leaves and the ram horn node leafs. I'd say it'll take me a few rounds to figure her out. Pretty de-leafed here. She's not super fast stretchy like LHB..more bushy..like I don't need to pinch alot for her to bush out..nice big long leaves before defoliate

DSC 1189
DSC 1193
DSC 1191
DSC 1195

Latest posts

Top Bottom