The Police are out of Control !!

• Thread starter oscar169
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
At the bottom of the road to our property there's a sign, put up by the county. If your dog just chases cattle or chickens (livestock), ANYONE can shoot it. How's that?

No. They absolutely do not.

That Sucks! :mad:

Why the hell not?

sky high

sky high

There is no such "Right" present in Colorado! (to kill someone's cow(s)/"livestock" that comes on your land).

In the 13 states where "open range" rules the land, and specifically in Colorado, you only have the right to take the animal(s) into custody....and by law, if you do, you must treat them/feed them/care for them as you would your own livestock. Beyond that, you have all of 5 days to contact the Ag authorities should you not be able to locate the owner and then they will decide the course of action. Sure...you COULD shoot the animals...but once they enter your land, you are legally responsible and killing them simply means you WILL pay "X" amount per head to the owner for that self-given "Right". :rolleyes: Not only that, you'll be REAL popular in town....

In short, you are legally responsible for the well-being of the animal (food/water/well-being) and >nowhere< in any statute does it say you have the explicit right to KILL a cow on your land. (show me where it says otherwise and I will retract)

You can't even recover damages done by the livestock unless you can prove (in court) without a doubt that YOUR fence was broached. Here in CO...it is YOUR responsibility to fence OUT...not the ranchers responsibility to fence in. the rancher has limits....but they are very broad and forgiving and truly must show malicious intent or out and out neglect.

http://www.ffcolorado.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/2005_12-Fencing-Out-in-Colorado-low-res.pdf
http://www.ffcolorado.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/2005_12-Fencing-Out-in-Colorado-low-res.pdf

re Dogs:

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/free-books/dog-book/chapter9-2.html

If there's a law/allowance to kill livestock for trespass, please link the legal statute/etc. you are deriving your (self) stated "right" from and stating >as fact<.

oscar169

oscar169

Farming 🌱
Supporter
There is no such "Right" present in Colorado! (to kill someone's cow(s)/"livestock" that comes on your land).

In the 13 states where "open range" rules the land, and specifically in Colorado, you only have the right to take the animal(s) into custody....and by law, if you do, you must treat them/feed them/care for them as you would your own livestock. Beyond that, you have all of 5 days to contact the Ag authorities should you not be able to locate the owner and then they will decide the course of action. Sure...you COULD shoot the animals...but once they enter your land, you are legally responsible and killing them simply means you WILL pay "X" amount per head to the owner for that self-given "Right". :rolleyes: Not only that, you'll be REAL popular in town....

In short, you are legally responsible for the well-being of the animal (food/water/well-being) and >nowhere< in any statute does it say you have the explicit right to KILL a cow on your land. (show me where it says otherwise and I will retract)

You can't even recover damages done by the livestock unless you can prove (in court) without a doubt that YOUR fence was broached. Here in CO...it is YOUR responsibility to fence OUT...not the ranchers responsibility to fence in. the rancher has limits....but they are very broad and forgiving and truly must show malicious intent or out and out neglect.

re Dogs:

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/free-books/dog-book/chapter9-2.html

If there's a law/allowance to kill livestock for trespass, please link the legal statute/etc. you are deriving your (self) stated "right" from and stating >as fact<.

Dogs Attacking People or Livestock

Generally, it's perfectly legal to do anything necessary to stop a dog caught in the act of attacking a person or livestock. A dog's owner is not legally entitled to any money from someone who injures or kills the dog while protecting a person or farm animal from attack. Nor is the person guilty of a criminal offense; many animal cruelty laws specifically exempt the act of injuring or killing a dog in these circumstances.
"Livestock" usually means only commercially valuable animals, not pets or wild animals. Some state laws list the kinds of animals protected; others say only that a dog may be killed if it attacks a "domestic animal," which historically does not include dogs and cats. Dogs and cats may even be specifically excluded; for example, in Ohio it's legal to kill a dog that is chasing or injuring a "sheep, lamb, goat, kid, domestic fowl or domestic animal except a cat or another dog." (Ohio Rev. Code § 955.28.) Someone who does injure a dog that's chasing another dog, or a deer, may be liable for damages to the dog's owner—and the killer may also be guilty of cruelty to animals.
A farmer or rancher doesn't have to wait until a dog has sunk its teeth into a calf or lamb; most laws allow killing a dog that is chasing or preparing to attack livestock, or fleeing after an attack. In Kentucky, for example, any dog that is "pursuing or wounding any livestock" can be killed. (Ky. Rev. Stat. § 258.235.) The dog must, however, be caught in the act. As one court put it, "it is not the dog's predatory habits, nor his past transgressions, nor his reputation, however bad, but the doctrine of self-defense, whether of person or property, that gives the right to kill." (State v. Smith, 156 N.C. 628, 72 S.E. 321 (1911).)
Hunting down a dog after an attack has taken place is not allowed. Generally, a farmer may legally kill a dog only on the farmer's own property. An Illinois court ruled that a sheep farmer who followed a dog back to its owner's home (in a residential area, no less) and shot it there an hour after the dog had killed some of his sheep was not protected under the Illinois statute. (People v. Pope, 383 N.E.2d 278 (1978).) Instead, he should have sued the dog's owner for the value of the sheep killed. (In many places, farmers or ranchers who lose livestock to dogs can also apply for reimbursement from a county or state fund.)
A dog is not, however, necessarily safe as soon as it leaves the farmer's property. In general, a farmer who wants retaliation is allowed to pursue a dog for a "reasonable time." What is a reasonable time under the circumstances is a question that's resolved when the lawsuit gets to court.
For example, a Kansas jury vindicated a farmer who shot and wounded a dog he found attacking his hogs. He shot at the dog, but it ran away, with the farmer in hot pursuit in his pickup. The dog ran home, where the farmer shot it twice and left it hiding, wounded, under the house. When the dog's owner came home, he rushed the dog to a veterinarian; it eventually recovered. The owner sued for almost $8,000, but the jury came back with a verdict for the farmer. (McDonald v. Bauman, 433 P.2d 437 (1967).) The Kansas statute allows a livestock owner to kill a dog that has been found injuring livestock "a reasonable time" before.
A farmer must also produce proof that the dog was chasing his livestock. In an old California case, for example, a rancher's belief that his sheep were in danger from dogs was not enough, the court ruled, to absolve him of financial responsibility for shooting them. (Johnson v. McConnell, 80 Cal. 545 (1889).) Testimony indicated that the dogs were following a herd of pregnant ewes, which were agitated and frightened. The dogs' owner successfully sued for $225 (this was in 1889) for the injuries to his three highly trained dogs.

This Dog was not attacking anyone, the cop went to try and crab at the dog they the dog jumped up at the officers, with the owner 3 feet away that could not control the dog b/c he was in cuffs asking to be un cuffed so he could round up the dog, so I say he WILL WIN his Law Suit..

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
That Sucks! :mad:

Why the hell not?
That's a good question, but basically children are considered property of their parents, legally, for the most part. I would hesitate to suggest we 'need' more government interference in raising our children, though.
My neighbor shot and killed my 6month old dog:(

yeah..I should have kept my dog on my property (was training him!)

not very neighborly of my neighbor though:meh:
WTF? I missed this. I'm very sorry. We installed a radio fence with a shock collar to keep my dog on the property because she'd been so difficult to keep here, she wanted to roam and wander. No fence will keep her in unless it's 8' cinderblock. Just a suggestion if you decide to get another dog, it's very effective. We did have to get the 'stubborn dog' collar, an upgrade from the 'normal dog' collar.

oscar169

oscar169

Farming 🌱
Supporter
That's a good question, but basically children are considered property of their parents, legally, for the most part. I would hesitate to suggest we 'need' more government interference in raising our children, though.

WTF? I missed this. I'm very sorry. We installed a radio fence with a shock collar to keep my dog on the property because she'd been so difficult to keep here, she wanted to roam and wander. No fence will keep her in unless it's 8' cinderblock. Just a suggestion if you decide to get another dog, it's very effective. We did have to get the 'stubborn dog' collar, an upgrade from the 'normal dog' collar.

That is a good choice for keeping Dogs @ home, plus you don't have fences to be mowing around..;)

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
It was a last, desperate effort. She's too big and active to be kept inside, and I was having to keep her tied up during the day while I was working. I absolutely HATED IT, and it's the first time I've ever had to keep a dog tied up. But the neighbor-fights were just in-fucking-sane and I didn't want more of that. We did end up with one neighbor trying to keep the dog. It was like they figured that if they just didn't answer the door or let her out of their yard, we'd forget about it! That one went to blows, literally, with charges against the drunken neighbor who threw the punch. Long story, lotta BS, others have let it go, I hold the grudge. Do NOT try to steal MY God damned dog!

Cort

Cort

Had a neighbor once capture one of my dogs with a trap. He accused my dog of jumping his 8' fence, killing one of his his goats then jumping back out of the goat pen to get captured in the baited trap on the outside.

When the sheriffs department got arrived they ordered him to release my dog who had to get helped down from the bed of a mini truck because of his bad hips.

The fence went up soon after.

oscar169

oscar169

Farming 🌱
Supporter
Had a neighbor once capture one of my dogs with a trap. He accused my dog of jumping his 8' fence, killing one of his his goats then jumping back out of the goat pen to get captured in the baited trap on the outside.

When the sheriffs department got arrived they ordered him to release my dog who had to get helped down from the bed of a mini truck because of his bad hips.

The fence went up soon after.

What an asshole of a neighbor

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter

I bought a collar for him..the kind with a remote..I shocked him one time..and after that he would not move when the collar was on...It was really sad..Totally played dead whenever I made him wear it. So i didn't make him wear it anymore...

The New Puppy will not be leaving my sight when out of her fenced area..ever
She is happy living with the goats though :)

Natural

Natural

I bought a collar for him..the kind with a remote..I shocked him one time..and after that he would not move when the collar was on...It was really sad..Totally played dead whenever I made him wear it. So i didn't make him wear it anymore...

The New Puppy will not be leaving my sight when out of her fenced area..ever
She is happy living with the goats though :)

Ya the "zapper" is total crap..unless you have a boxer..lol j/k...but every pup needs some dog whispering..which I think is just mostly patience and saying "shhhshhsh...shhshshs" a bunch of damn times

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Ya the "zapper" is total crap..unless you have a boxer..lol j/k...but every pup needs some dog whispering..which I think is just mostly patience and saying "shhhshhsh...shhshshs" a bunch of damn times

Yeah, Dogs just need a lot of time...and I was working out of town when we rescued that pup..:(
Im retired now..home all the time..im a goat rancher..and the dog is a working dog(mostly) :)
Pippinfetch715

Top Bottom