the preservation project.......

• Thread starter Motarebel
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
P

primeform

With all due repect, Sir ...

But why wouldn't anyone want to grow Haze from inbred stock?
This is the only way to preserve the original hazes and perpetuate the lines ?!?

I am somewhat confused, and must have misunderstood, can you enlighten me on this line of thinking?

Cheers

I think mark is referring to back-crossing to the original mother in order to isolate traits you like. This limits the pheno expression in the remaining pool and the other phenos are lost. He wants to preserve as many pheno expressions as possible. Please correct me if im way off basis mark.

Prime

bigherb

bigherb

Farmer
I didnt want to carry on this convo in motas thread soo i left it alone.My intent was based on the open post MC shared

But id like to add their were never any clones from the Ohaze grows in santa cruz soo i dont think we could say back crossing to the original mother.Original stock yes .Remember their were four Ohaze phenos/varieites soo there was different expression to begin with,Not expression of growth traits but taste/aromas

1luvbigherb

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
Correct The Haze brothers didn`t do clones just simple breeding.That`s not to say some others didn`t clone at that time but most people had no clue how to clone MJ at that point.And yes there were at least 4-5 Haze strains released by them. That said I was conserned with back crosses loosing some genetic traits as well as contenued Bx`ing over the years depleting the genetic line.Then problems comes up with multi pheno types and possible acidental crossing of pollen that could take place.I hope a lot of people will work to insure strains are preserved for this reason! We all know of strains that just aren`t what we remembered when they first came out.I think this is what Mota is trying to do with this project.

convex

convex

Thanks for the clarification Mark.
The term inbred fooled me, I certainly see your point on BX'ing and agree it narrows diversity in a strain.

Thanks for the input - Cheers

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
About the only time I Bx is when I`m working with a clone only and want seeds that are not S1`s. If the seed produced less traits of the mother line I just go back and try other pheno types that may carry more of the genetics of the mother plant and go on from there.I always make seeds from all the pheno types involved if possible and try each one out as gessing sometimes doesn`t work. It`s something like skulpter to carve away you use set pheno types and to add clay (genetic traits) where you need until you get what you are looking for.Then you grow out the strain and pick out the most stable of the traits over many generations. A true strain is not just an F2 cross!

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
One other point i want to make is where the genetics are very importain to the outcome ,so is the method of growing and getting each strain or pheno dialed in. I`ve seen people take some good genetics and do such a poor job of growing it they were not happy and blamed it on the genetics, on the other hand I`ve seen master growers use mid grade genetics and come out with unexpected results.It`s always best to start with good genetics made by trusted breeders like Mota and others but you still have to work the plants awhile and learn there special needs to get the best possible outcome.

Motarebel

Motarebel

One other point i want to make is where the genetics are very importain to the outcome ,so is the method of growing and getting each strain or pheno dialed in. I`ve seen people take some good genetics and do such a poor job of growing it they were not happy and blamed it on the genetics, on the other hand I`ve seen master growers use mid grade genetics and come out with unexpected results.It`s always best to start with good genetics made by trusted breeders like Mota and others but you still have to work the plants awhile and learn there special needs to get the best possible outcome.

I couldn't of said it better. Many times i've ran a clone 2-3 times and decide to let her go,then on the last run i nail it and then kick myself for not keeping it. I know i prejudged many strains by only growing it once.

Anyone dabble with any Jamaican strains? I have a good Jamaican friend sending me some strains to work with. I was told by a breeder friend that Jamaican was some of the strongest herb back in the day,this cat know's his stuff so my curiosity has been picked.

E

E.T.

I couldn't of said it better. Many times i've ran a clone 2-3 times and decide to let her go,then on the last run i nail it and then kick myself for not keeping it. I know i prejudged many strains by only growing it once.

Anyone dabble with any Jamaican strains? I have a good Jamaican friend sending me some strains to work with. I was told by a breeder friend that Jamaican was some of the strongest herb back in the day,this cat know's his stuff so my curiosity has been picked.

i'd love to see you work some jamaican lines!

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
I think I only have one Jamaican strain unless There are some jJmaican strains I got from Elite when he rented from me. The one I got was what ever it was that Bob Marley was smoking in his MBZ. I bought the car for the seeds in the seats but they all seemed to be the same stuff. Nice Sativa or Sativa dom strain. It was hard to understand the guy the way he talked but I think it was called Lambs breath or bread or something like that.Grew it out only one time. It is some good smoke but wish there would have been more strains in that car.It was a nice car but my daughter ended up totaling it.Anyway I only grew it out the one time,indoors.I should try it again in an outdoor grow to see what it does when grown in a more natural enviroment.

Teddy KGB

Teddy KGB

Back in the 80's I grew strictly a Jamaican strain outdoors in the swamps. Nothing else. Never knew what it was . I went to Jamaica with an Army pal in 1980 . He was from there & had killer connections. Long story short , the weed his grandfather grew was some of the best I ever smoked. He gave me a baby food jar full of seeds & I grew them in North Carolina & Lousy-ana. Plants were HUGE with long fluffy colas. Didn't finish until late October though. Definitely very sativa , if not pure sativa. One joint was an all day adventure for me & I smoked a lot of weed back then.

Motarebel

Motarebel

My bro is working with a jamaican purple skunk right now,sounds tasty.

One flava i've been chasing for a while now is "pine",i've been asked for this as much as roadkill. I've yet to locate either but it might help if i knew wich direction to look. The Cheese clone i got from hazeman is as skunky as i've found,crossed to the right afghan would be killer.

BlackBart

BlackBart

Jamaican Sugarbush and Jamaican Red hair are coming soon Mota . Just have few more tings to get together .

winta

winta

nice projects bro! they all sound fire specially the jamaican stuff :)

Motarebel

Motarebel

Man Bart if you keep it up i'll need a U-Haul! lol I was running some OrangeHill Magic from Rastanimal when i got busted,it had dark red stocks right down to the leaf. I want to find those heart racing genes and hit some afghans.

Dandaweedman

Dandaweedman

All this Sativa talk has my heart racing ;)
Some nice genes popping up.

G

gerardbutler79

My bro is working with a jamaican purple skunk right now,sounds tasty.

One flava i've been chasing for a while now is "pine",i've been asked for this as much as roadkill. I've yet to locate either but it might help if i knew wich direction to look. The Cheese clone i got from hazeman is as skunky as i've found,crossed to the right afghan would be killer.

Hey Mota you ought find that "pine" in a pure burmese. Like the one reeferman was working with.

G

gerardbutler79

Jamaican Sugarbush and Jamaican Red hair are coming soon Mota . Just have few more tings to get together .

Those sound pretty exotic Bart. Can you give a brief description of each? I'm not familiar with Jamaicans at all

BlackBart

BlackBart

Man I wish I could LMAO ! I got these from Rasta Animal years ago . I do know that they are real deal genetics . I remember the pics he showed were jaw dropping .

E

E.T.

Man I wish I could LMAO ! I got these from Rasta Animal years ago . I do know that they are real deal genetics . I remember the pics he showed were jaw dropping .

Damn bart,
Sounds like it's time to pop those gems!

Motarebel

Motarebel

Hey Mota you ought find that "pine" in a pure burmese. Like the one reeferman was working with.

Thanks for that info! I should've had it then,the man with the "golden word" never came thru and sent his P1 lines like he told me.

Top Bottom