There is no such thing as a "cal-mag" deficiency...

• Thread starter Seamaiden
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
shoestring

shoestring

Great chart Seamaiden. I recall seeing a similar bio sequencing chart in a pamphlet from Aptus. But this one is much more detailed. I like it.

Legion

Legion

Have things gotten to a state where people are going around claiming to have cal-mag defs? Like cal-mag is one thing? lol I'm really asking cause I can never tell what kind of new dummy is going to pop up. Then yes.. that should be very apparent to most people.. I'd assume.. lol again.. I never know..

M

motz

peat has a low ph to start with too..I think it's around 4. and @sixstring whatever additives they add into promix is negligible at best..I also doubt if the mycorrhiza is even viable anymore. I'm also curious if Jack's Classic or Pro has any source of Calcium included?
Most pro-mix that I have dealt with has just enough nutes in it for about a 2-week span.Perfect for seedlings,after that you can watch the nutes disappear from the mix.As your plants discolor and wither. You really have to be proactive with the orange bag. Otherwise they will get away from you. So you are spot on about nutes in pro-mix being "negligible at best". I really don't know how many different mixes of this stuff is available. I just see 2 where I shop. Do any of you mess with recycled mediums at all? Picked up an Edition of Best of Skunk and it had an article about it. Do any of you subscribe to his living soil methods?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I always recycle. I use the soil food web method which is pretty much the exact same thing. The folks at @Nomads Landing follow his protocols and methods fairly closely and they get pretty nice results.
Have things gotten to a state where people are going around claiming to have cal-mag defs? Like cal-mag is one thing? lol I'm really asking cause I can never tell what kind of new dummy is going to pop up. Then yes.. that should be very apparent to most people.. I'd assume.. lol again.. I never know..
Yes. That, and when people ask if they have a problem, or what their deficiency is, others may come in and say, "It's a cal-mag deficiency!" Ain't no such thang, brothers, ain't no such thang!

DO IT

DO IT

Maybe botanicare just has an excess amount of mag and selling it along with the calcium is easier than selling it by its self. :wtf:

shoestring

shoestring

Promix hp (and the other bags) most certainly need to be fortified very early on. And yeah the myco thats in it is laughable at best. I use to run big beds and pots of promix a long time ago and it would do one well to mix extra dolomite lime into the mix before planting. Man i used to buy promix like in 25 bale bags. The big ones too. I glad them days are over. The newer sunshine mix bags (all the different formulas) have much more thought and care put into them. Heard the coir blend formula was really nice. Sorry off topic but had to chime in on promix. Man i use to use ALOT of that stuff.

Legion

Legion

Promix hp (and the other bags) most certainly need to be fortified very early on. And yeah the myco thats in it is laughable at best. I use to run big beds and pots of promix a long time ago and it would do one well to mix extra dolomite lime into the mix before planting. Man i used to buy promix like in 25 bale bags. The big ones too. I glad them days are over. The newer sunshine mix bags (all the different formulas) have much more thought and care put into them. Heard the coir blend formula was really nice. Sorry off topic but had to chime in on promix. Man i use to use ALOT of that stuff.

Use to move SunShine #4 all day long.. and hated it when it was wet.. so heavy... But on those, all the #'s are different mixes of stuff. #4 is the most popular. Has a wetting agent, lime, and some cal I think.. that's just about all though. Works great but don't let it dry.. It will shrink away from the edge of the container and next time you water most of the water just goes down the crack and you need to soak it again to get it to expand. Keep it moist and it rocks.

Natural

Natural

Most pro-mix that I have dealt with has just enough nutes in it for about a 2-week span.Perfect for seedlings,after that you can watch the nutes disappear from the mix.As your plants discolor and wither. You really have to be proactive with the orange bag. Otherwise they will get away from you. So you are spot on about nutes in pro-mix being "negligible at best". I really don't know how many different mixes of this stuff is available. I just see 2 where I shop. Do any of you mess with recycled mediums at all? Picked up an Edition of Best of Skunk and it had an article about it. Do any of you subscribe to his living soil methods?

I like it mainly because it has been the most bug-free brand I've used. That and I'm a control freak when it comes to food/amendments.
I re-use promix often, unless I have a population of gnats that I can't get a handle on. EWC's, extra perlite, and new soil is good to have on hand to liven it up some in between plantings. That and using beneficials and either/or organic liquid nutes, organic dry nutes...it seems to break down less. When I used salt based nutes..I noticed it would get really compacted and wouldn't absorbed liquid well. I just pull the tap root at and don't even worry about the roots unless it is like a furball that I can just toss aside.

M

motz

I like it mainly because it has been the most bug-free brand I've used. That and I'm a control freak when it comes to food/amendments.
I re-use promix often, unless I have a population of gnats that I can't get a handle on. EWC's, extra perlite, and new soil is good to have on hand to liven it up some in between plantings. That and using beneficials and either/or organic liquid nutes, organic dry nutes...it seems to break down less. When I used salt based nutes..I noticed it would get really compacted and wouldn't absorbed liquid well. I just pull the tap root at and don't even worry about the roots unless it is like a furball that I can just toss aside.
What do you think of azomite,a nursey said you don't need to buy all that other stuff then. He said that the (AZ) in azomite means everything from a A to Z is in it?Everbodies thought process would be a great help!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I use Azomite every year in my mixes, specifically because it's both clay particles and has micronutrients. I just got a great price for a small bulk quantity from a vendor on eBay, so I'll probably not be buying it from Peaceful Valley anymore.

A little can go a long way, but more won't hurt I'm fairly sure. :) So I guess I should say that I heart Azomite. And kaolin clay, too. It feels so good!

M

motz

Excuse the ignorance @Seamaiden but what does the clay have in it. Is it a substitute for green sand?

P

Protaide

Excuse the ignorance @Seamaiden but what does the clay have in it. Is it a substitute for green sand?

Typically today many of these clays are being utilized for mineral content, if not for industrial application. I'm not familiar with the brand Azomite, but presumably it's being used for the same. Care should be taken when selecting which type to use however. Food grade, as it were; cannot contain high levels of Aluminum or Sulfate and so a different type is used for consumption. When I was in the marine industry around the turn of the century we used a specific montmorillonite that was safe for consumption and gave decent results (still have a couple hundred pounds xD). Some clays have a high CEC and can even alter charge of adsorbed particles, so be sure to not run high percentages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom