This Be How Dirbag Do...

• Thread starter Dirtbag
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
And we're off.. Giving fabric pots another shot, this time going with 7 gallon pots but I only had enough dirt to put about 5-6 or so gallons in each. Proterra peat/perlite using botanicare pbp grow, and massive bloom in smaller infrequent doses for flower, and pbp soil bloom to ripen at the end again. Crossing my fingers for this one.

Also.. lol, going straight from clone to the final pot. I've always advised against this but my buddy does it all the time and his plants get huge fast, figured what the heck. Just have to go easy on the water for the first week or two.

20190725 224813

Last edited:
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Yep I'm actually getting off rockwool this next couple of rounds and giving 1 gal fabrics w/ coco another shot. Hate me some dirty tables so hope this helps with it. Killin it mang.

Nice, I ran 1 gal coco pots for a couple years. Amazing the size of plants you can grow out of such a small pot.

My reasoning for going with the 7 gal pots with proterra is im experimenting with the "shape" of the rootball. I'm going for a wider rather than tall root mass which I think will be helpful with the fabric pots and peat. Plus I'll only need to water once every few days, I guess I just prefer to hand water.. Have a love/hate thing going on with drippers,... Currently still in the "hate" phase lol.

Last edited:
Srenots

Srenots

Nice, I ran 1 gal coco pots for a couple years. Amazing the size of plants you can grow out of such a small pot.

My reasoning for going with the 7 gal pots with proterra is im experimenting with the "shape" of the rootball. I'm going for a wider rather than tall root mass which I think will be helpful with the fabric pots and peat. Plus I'll only need to water once every few days, I guess I just prefer to hand water.. Have a love/hate thing going on with drippers,... Currently still in the "hate" phase lol.

well said...me too bro ~

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Also, I've been reading so many little "debates" on here I've been sort of experimenting with a few things.
Lat run I decided to try hang drying a plant and dry trimming it, while the rest got wet trimmed. I've done it in the past and found little/no difference but so many people were swearing by the dry trim I figured I'd try it again for a side by side.
I'm shocked to discover,.. absolutely no difference lol. Well I shouldnt say that, dry trimming was a much bigger PITA compared to wet trimming. That's enough of that chit.

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

Also, I've been reading so many little "debates" on here I've been sort of experimenting with a few things.
Lat run I decided to try hang drying a plant and dry trimming it, while the rest got wet trimmed. I've done it in the past and found little/no difference but so many people were swearing by the dry trim I figured I'd try it again for a side by side.
I'm shocked to discover,.. absolutely no difference lol. Well I shouldnt say that, dry trimming was a much bigger PITA compared to wet trimming. That's enough of that chit.
AGREED! I won't ever dry trim again.

Srenots

Srenots

yep ~

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter

Yeah I used to run 5-7 gal pots religiously before I got on wool. Loved it. The main reasoning behind that for me is there is a very small window for me with veg time from not vegging enough to vegging a little too much and my plants stretching past the lights since in a basement and don't have the highest ceilings and sitting on tables.

Haha can totally understand the "hate" phase. I'm to the point where I'm going to rip out all my pumps/res's and go to dosers. I just hate being tied down to the spot and not being able to go camping or leave town.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Yeah I used to run 5-7 gal pots religiously before I got on wool. Loved it. The main reasoning behind that for me is there is a very small window for me with veg time from not vegging enough to vegging a little too much and my plants stretching past the lights since in a basement and don't have the highest ceilings and sitting on tables.

Haha can totally understand the "hate" phase. I'm to the point where I'm going to rip out all my pumps/res's and go to dosers. I just hate being tied down to the spot and not being able to go camping or leave town.

Yeah one of these days I should setup some automation for the same reasons.
Although my sister lives 5 mins away and doesnt mind coming by to water if I'm away for a week or two. Shes really the only reason I havent bothered yet. If she cant come by I've got half a dozen buddies local I can trust to do it for me too. There are benefits to knowing a lot of growers lol.

chemistry

chemistry

What a fuckin mess it makes for no reason other than some one on a forum said it was a better way to trim, and its appealing to the stoned lazy amongst us, and like the rest of you, I tried once, and don't need to repeat the test.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

What a fuckin mess it makes for no reason other than some one on a forum said it was a better way to trim, and its appealing to the stoned lazy amongst us, and like the rest of you, I tried once, and don't need to repeat the test.

I disagree. In my environment it dries out too fast. I tried trimming wet and laying individual buds in net racks. Then wet trim still on branches and finally dry trimming with he bud leaves on and in the branches and it slowed down my dry time by up to a week.

Thats the reason it works better for me.

The bonus is the kief i collect in screened trim trays.

Everyone should give more environmental info before arguing or dissing methods.

Every grow is different.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Does going straight from solo cup to 5g grow pots slow down growth? I hate constantly transplanting so this is what I did and some are growing fine while others seem very slow to take off.

It's funny I've always said dont do it, pot up a couple gallons at a time, like solo-1 or 2 gallon- 5 or 7 gallon.

But after seeing my friend go straight from the cloner into 10 gallon pots I'm a bit surprised honestly with how fast his plants grow.

The key to doing it that way according to him is to start with a high quality peat based mix, we all use proterra because it's very clean and has no salts, so it doesnt need rinsing. And once the clone is planted in the big pot you give it a little bit of weak nutrient solution around the plant itself, and a little around the edge of the pot. I used about 2 litres total per 7 gallon pot.
This way the plant will send out roots looking for more water pretty quickly. You dont want to completely saturate the soil just yet after transplanting. For the second watering, I'll give it another 2-3 liters but this time just around the edge of the pot. Third watering, it will get fully saturated to runoff. If done right, it should get its third watering after a week.

I'll let you know how it goes. This is new to me too..

chemistry

chemistry

Does going straight from solo cup to 5g grow pots slow down growth? I hate constantly transplanting so this is what I did and some are growing fine while others seem very slow to take off.

It's a hard question, in soil I like to pot up, this creates layers of roots and is a good thing if your plant might need 20 feet of root space, if you pot up correctly you can fit that 20 feed of roots into a three gallon pot with out losing a root, this is the thought behind potting up. If like I am at the minute in DWC/Floodndrain, I would plant my cutting or rooted seedling direct into it's finished flowering pot, as this seems to work better for me. Coco fans also pot up to fill every inch of space with nuit sucking roots.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I disagree. In my environment it dries out too fast. I tried trimming wet and laying individual buds in net racks. Then wet trim still on branches and finally dry trimming with he bud leaves on and in the branches and it slowed down my dry time by up to a week.

Every grow is different.

There is certainly more room for error with wet trimming. If you cant keep humidity in the mid 60's and temps 17-18c, I think dry trimming would be better, but for me the taste, smoothness, everything about the dry trimmed bud is absolutely identical to the wet trimmed bud from the same crop. Therefore, wet trimming is the way to go for me as it's just way more tidy and quick.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
It's a hard question, in soil I like to pot up, this creates layers of roots and is a good thing if your plant might need 20 feet of root space, if you pot up correctly you can fit that 20 feed of roots into a three gallon pot with out losing a root, this is the thought behind potting up. If like I am at the minute in DWC/Floodndrain, I would plant my cutting or rooted seedling direct into it's finished flowering pot, as this seems to work better for me. Coco fans also pot up to fill every inch of space with nuit sucking roots.

I'd agree with solid pots I would still pot up, sorry missed that part. This method is really for using fabric pots. The root structure is totally different compared to plastic pots.

chemistry

chemistry

Every grow is different.

I did it once, and I had dried peaces of leaf stuck to my lovely sticky bud, looked like it had been attacked by a strimmer. Not for me, but if it suits you, then crack on, but I like my bud tidy, and I only get that result from wet trimming, and like you say, each to their own. I dry my wet trim and also make hash. :)

Top Bottom