Try # Well Crap Been So Many Lost Count

• Thread starter tinderthumbs
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
EventHorizan

EventHorizan

@Wisher619 would you chime in so I don't misrepresent no info here. Since its went scientific, I need my professor to explain... if you wouldn't mind one last time.. I know your tired of repeating it. But just cation exchange and testing runoff in coco is my only focal points..

tinderthumbs

tinderthumbs

it tells ph of med and of water never got a ec was thinking about it but lot of people say they really don't work as well as people say something about needing more electricity going though the water to get a true reading so I always try to just give light amount of nute when feeding but see how well that's worked out lol

dan1989

dan1989

@Wisher619 would you chime in so I don't misrepresent no info here. Since its went scientific, I need my professor to explain... if you wouldn't mind one last time.. I know your tired of repeating it. But just cation exchange and testing runoff in coco is my only focal points..

Hey I'm not trying to dilute anything you are saying here man. Just saying. It's just that I've used the precharged, pre buffered coco before (canna professional) and found that whatever is in the coco to be too hot for the babies, namely seedlings...hence rinsing with PH'd water

tinderthumbs

tinderthumbs

u say coco is to hot?? for babies or did I mis read

I found coco is the least harshest for babies thought coco don't have nute well not much nute that is why its a good med bc u as the grower get to have all the control

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

it tells ph of med and of water never got a ec was thinking about it but lot of people say they really don't work as well as people say something about needing more electricity going though the water to get a true reading so I always try to just give light amount of nute when feeding but see how well that's worked out lol
You really need an ec meter. If you had been growing for decades and new what ec certain ml/gals already were then no problem. If you were only using I nutrient we could probably manage but you adding a 3 part and that's probably not helping...

Wisher619

Wisher619

so here is the deal on coco

coco has a very unusual cation exchange with a high capacity for holding on to nutrients

by testing runoff you are really only testing waste mixed with fresh salts that exceeded the cation capacity

if you want a true reading pull a plug of your coco and soak it in ro water for 24 hours
strain and test

that is what is called a slurry test
that would be your most acurate reading

for coco......since most here arent running a giant digitaly controlled agg operation

only worry about what goes in
and make sure at leat 5-10% runs out the bottom

as for Canna Coco being to hot

maybe.....not......maybe what you were seeing is malnutrition from noting in the coco

I plant springtailed seeds directly into canna and they start life with 1.5ec feeding

I can go into scientific detail on what happens in coco but the only thing we need no know is
1. always keep coco moist
2. Always feed with every watering
3. Never let coco dry out
4. Always allow for 5-10% runoff
5. always ph between 5.8-6.2

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

coco has a very unusual cation exchange with a high capacity for holding on to nutrients

by testing runoff you are really only testing waste mixed with fresh salts that exceeded the cation capacity

if you want a true reading pull a plug of your coco and soak it in ro water for 24 hours
strain and test

for coco......since most here arent running a giant digitaly controlled agg operation

maybe.....not......maybe what you were seeing is malnutrition from noting in the coco

I plant springtailed seeds directly into canna and they start life with 1.5ec feeding

I can go into scientific detail on what happens in coco but the only thing we need no know is
There you go.. Thanks Wisher for chiming in...

tinderthumbs

tinderthumbs

strain and test

with this what u think about my blue lab soil tester ??? as it being true on the ph

dan1989

dan1989

u say coco is to hot?? for babies or did I mis read

I found coco is the least harshest for babies thought coco don't have nute well not much nute that is why its a good med bc u as the grower get to have all the control

Ok bad choice of words. When I say hot, I mean they can have high levels of cal, mag, nitrogen etc (which they use when buffering the coco). I had two young plants which had all the symptoms of nitrogen toxicity, and I had been using a weak as hell nute mix! Please don't think that I'm trying to say that EventHorizon doesn't know what he's talking about!

I probably shouldn't have used the word ' routinely' when I said about flushing. I meant when I get some kind of nute lock out.

tinderthumbs

tinderthumbs

so his list
1. always keep coco moist done ish see number 3

2. Always feed with every watering done that

3. Never let coco dry out done that but not as well I might at times of a lil to dry

4. Always allow for 5-10% runoff this one I did not do so much that is why I did a flushing a lil more
5. always ph between 5.8-6.2 was having a problem with the ph dropping really low like

4.5ish in the run off so that is why I was using ph water of 6.5 thinking it was dropping crazy low so now I use earth juice and with reading they say phing is not needed for use with this line sure hope im not being feed a lie

GrowGod

GrowGod

BANNED!
Supporter
Talking in the wind lol
IMG 0738
i flush once a week sometimes twice with Carboload and hygrozyme, second water of the day with 6 hours left in the light cycle.
;)

dan1989

dan1989

Read my profile. I said I'm no expert, just good at it.

strain and test

Ok I'll be the first to admit I didn't know about the correct way to slurry test. And you made me think about the malnutrition thing. Now...as for the always feeding with every water. I will admit I knew nothing about cation exchange until today, and feel kind of embarassed that I was giving advice about feeding plain water. But it would seem you are the best person to ask why I never had any problems with giving my plants (in coco) a heavy plain flush halfway through the grow? To be honest, it was a habit I took from soil growing...

dan1989

dan1989

Read my profile. I said I'm no expert, just good at it.

Ok I'll be the first to admit I didn't know about the correct way to slurry test. And you made me think about the malnutrition thing. Now...as for the always feeding with every water. I will admit I knew nothing about cation exchange until today, and feel kind of embarassed that I was giving advice about feeding plain water. But it would seem you are the best person to ask why I never had any problems with giving my plants (in coco) a heavy plain flush halfway through the grow? To be honest, it was a habit I took from soil growing...
Sorry forgot to mention the rinsing before even planting too..

dan1989

dan1989

Hey look I've got no problem eating a slice or two of humble pie. It seems it was bad advice I gave, and I shall be following the advice of the seasoned growers for sure. The last thing I want to do is ruin someone's crop. But if you can explain why my plain flushes never caused problems it would be appreciated. Apologies to EventHorizon if it looked like I was trying to prove you wrong or something...

Latest posts

Top Bottom