Using Oxygen Generator to increase DO.

• Thread starter pacog
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

fatman

Fatman, What about non-dwc type systems?
What would the ideal and practical DO enrichment method be for a 100 gallon res that is hooked up to a simple drip feed irrigation system?
Would a small pond aerator be sufficient since turbulence wouldn't play a role?

Yes as long as the water at the surface has at least some ripples the water will stay saturated with DO. Even an aquarium power head placed in the reservoir just below the surface with the outlet angled up to the surface would l be sufficient.

M

mrdizzle

The one sigle diffuser in it side reservoir maintains adequate DO by its self.

plants roots do not require high levels of DO except at high temps

water turbulent enough every where there are roots to assure all the roots obtain adequate DO

a gentle flow of water moving between all tubs so as to maintain matching water parameters in all tubs

Actually dude the flow rate through your tubs should be at least 30 exchanges or more per hours if your relying on water flow alone ( alone, you mean without an airpump)

thanks for the help, I think I finally get it

M

mrdizzle

Iplay4keepz, skip the blowers and just make a venturi. no reason to make that kinda of noise, a 750gph pump, with 1/5th the watts, made into a venturi will create just as much DO

F

fatman

Where are your charts and links fatman showing your opions/facts?

I use reference books from my library as I am an engineering professor (Environmentaland Civu il) so I have many bboks in my home office as wellas at work. I can post charts links and reports if you wish though. This one has been previously posted and show rice DO requirements to dethe sane with DO at 2 pm or higher. To obtain all information you need to have an account to purchase the full paper(s) so I down load them and read them in entirety. The University pay for abstracts I down load. IE free data and knowlege base materials.

Here is a DO Chart:

Further links:
http://www.actahort.org/members/showpdf?booknrarnr=440_36

All of these links havebeen posted un this forum by squarepusher.

Why does my fish tank have a simple air stone to help provide oxygen if its useless to the fish? The oxygen must get into the water somehow right?
The water maintains dissolved oxygen based upon temperature, pressure and salinity. It requires little to maintain DO at sati urtaion levels unless you have huge numbers of fish, or have a reef tanjk with manycorals using DO. The DO comes from the oxygen in the air bubble dissolvo inf g in thw a water. It will do that inoder to maintain saturation levels of DO. The fish extract DO from the water by passing water over their gills. With just a few fish in a tank or bowl an airstone is not even need to maintain DO at normal saturation levels as that oxygen ican easily enter the water at the waters surface.

I, like Lost, am a bud farmer and dont give a shit about science crap. Sad that you are that way but if ignorance suits you that is fine. I'm not book educated cause i realized they only generally teach you in a perfect world type of shit. Far from the truth but you can use what ever excuse you to maintain a lack of formal education. That is your choice. Growing weed is never in a vacum or perfectly pressurized so why go into all the bs. WTF We like to just Keep It Simple Stupid. Dude, there is an ignore feature, please use it as I am not going to try to write at a grade school level for anyone, especially for those insultive of primary education and of me just because they lack the ability to understand high school grade level write ups. I am keeping it very simple. Educated people can understand the simple things I write. I can not however expect uneducated people to learn much when they choose to ignore simple science. We are not talking rocker science dude. Any high school graduate (except possibly California) should be able to understand everything I have written. If you want comic book versions then buy a mj growing book, Most of them are written at about 9th grade reading levels.

I am already dumbing down everthing I write already.

UCMENOW

UCMENOW

To be or not to be.......an Azzzz

It's clear you've got a lot of information to offer the Farm......many sponges waiting to absorb what your laying down.

With that said, drop the condescending BS brother, people treat each other with respect on this site for the most part....be kind. No one doubts you're the smartest kid in class.....be constructive and it will be much appreciated by many.....if not F%@K off.

BTW...hang up the lab coat and grab a plant....you need to put in some serious time in the grow room before you get all cool guy round these parts....we simple folk in California can get acting real crazy sometimes:party0023:

IPlay4Keepz

IPlay4Keepz

Ok you have my complete attention...

You got it!! Use a blower instead of an air pump and use at least 2 large diffusers or four smaller diffusers in each reservoir. This is what you want in the way of diffusers:

The secomd option is to use the existing air pump with the coarser bubble difusser by link above and use a needle wheel pump instead of a Danner pump as supplied by the undercurrent people.
I was reading the specs provided on this page:

If I understand you correctly, if I'm going to create more turbulence, its best if i go with the air stone with the highest cfm rating. And that would AS30S?

Iplay4keepz, skip the blowers and just make a venturi. no reason to make that kinda of noise, a 750gph pump, with 1/5th the watts, made into a venturi will create just as much DO
I'm not familiar with a venturi other than the protein skimmer type for aquariums. Are these made with a regular mag drive pump or is there any special equipment involved? Thanx -Keepz

M

mrdizzle

basically you put a pump in your res, the outlet you add a 4inch piece of tubing, in that 4in piece punch a hole as close to the pump as possible and put a 1/4in double barb connector, then attatch a 1/4 piece of tubing to that connector, it has to be long enough to exit the water by a couple inches. I twist tie mine to the power cord so it stays out of the water

what this does is as the water is pushed through the pump, it creates a vaccum that draw air from that 1/4inch piece of tubing, causing it to mix with the water as well as mixing your nute and creating nice turbulence

B

brizoke

What I don't understand Fatman is why in dwc do the plants need any airstones at all to survive? How does adding bubbles make more dissolved oxygen? Is it the turbulence at the surface of the water? Also, If that is true, what mechanism delivers the dissolved oxygen throughout the entire container of water?

I want to say this, I do not even belong in this section, but I really wanted to pick your brain a little.

squarepusher

squarepusher

basically you put a pump in your res, the outlet you add a 4inch piece of tubing, in that 4in piece punch a hole as close to the pump as possible and put a 1/4in double barb connector, then attatch a 1/4 piece of tubing to that connector, it has to be long enough to exit the water by a couple inches. I twist tie mine to the power cord so it stays out of the water

what this does is as the water is pushed through the pump, it creates a vaccum that draw air from that 1/4inch piece of tubing, causing it to mix with the water as well as mixing your nute and creating nice turbulence

I believe this is also the needle wheel / venturi effect, which is great for aeration of water bodies.

PS-DM06018.jpg

actually, what Fatman is saying backs up a lot of how and why DD's MPB system is effective and shown good results. On paper, its just a RDWC system which has the normal problems with DO limits. However, DD's system uses super high powered pumps (think turbulence) as well as tons of aeration (multiple airstones per tub), so in a way, a lot of things Fatman has been saying makes perfect sense to as how DD's MPB system is so effective with so many users here, despite it "just being a DWC system." Basically, "reved up" RDWC systems with high turbulence flow, and lots of airstones, improve normal performance of lack of oxygen penetration into the root mass of large plants which is normally expected as a weakness in this type of system.

M

mrdizzle

hahaha I totally agree squarepusher, Honestly the dude is just spinning his wheels. I wouldnt be running any DWC without some serious water movement. airstones about
4th on the list of things I would use to try and create DO, but they do create DO in more than one way

L

Lost

hahaha I totally agree squarepusher, Honestly the dude is just spinning his wheels. I wouldnt be running any DWC without some serious water movement. airstones about
4th on the list of things I would use to try and create DO, but they do create DO in more than one way

Thx Dizzle.. If what he were saying is true then a undercurrent system with no airstones would be just as capeable. I do think flow rates across the roots is far more important that bubble airation but it is an important factor and tho I might not be able to explain or even totally understand the sciene behind it, it is nevertheless the case in the real world.

UCMENOW

UCMENOW

Prepared for lengthy rebuttle

Well I'll be a monkey's biatch.....I'm tossing my UC in the dumpster and joining the Church of Fat......guess the prolific growth and large yields everyone is experiencing in RDWC is just an anomaly, good to know.....you may sense a degree of sarcasm.

I must say, this is one of the quickest hostile take overs of a thread I've seen to date.....Kudos O' Divine Fat One.:hi:

P

pacog

People take a chill pill.

We are all here to Learn.

FatMan seems to have a wealth of Knowledge above and beyond what most have on the science end of things. He might have as much if not more real world experience as well( just because he does not talk about it does not means its not there). Sure his delivery can be a bit rough but thats the way some people roll. He is Coming from an Engineering Backround, I don't know how many Engineer's you guys know but the ones I know are Just on a different Level as far as thinking and the way they do things.

If people don't care about the real world science end thats fine. But its a very critical factor to know and understand how things work on all levels. IMO

Also not did I see Fatman say UC's were Bad??? To me it seemed as though he was pointing out the Flaws and Limiting Factors that Most DWC/RDWC system's have and how to Improve on them. JMO

H

Headach

He said the UC is the most well put systems there is out there, but there are still little flaws. He's a cool guy, chat with him through via email.

UCMENOW

UCMENOW

High IQ Disorder H.I.D. ;)

People take a chill pill.

We are all here to Learn.

FatMan seems to have a wealth of Knowledge above and beyond what most have on the science end of things. He might have as much if not more real world experience as well( just because he does not talk about it does not means its not there). Sure his delivery can be a bit rough but thats the way some people roll. He is Coming from an Engineering Backround, I don't know how many Engineer's you guys know but the ones I know are Just on a different Level as far as thinking and the way they do things.

If people don't care about the real world science end thats fine. But its a very critical factor to know and understand how things work on all levels. IMO

Also not did I see Fatman say UC's were Bad??? To me it seemed as though he was pointing out the Flaws and Limiting Factors that Most DWC/RDWC system's have and how to Improve on them. JMO

Too true.....though I don't believe having information to be a license to be an ass to members of the Farm...or anyone for that matter.:bow

No one's dismissing the validity of the info....I just think when someone's being rude they should get checked, plain and simple.

Lot's of great info is passed between folks on the Farm with no disrespect necessary....let's keep that theme alive by keeping newbies (no matter how articulate) communicating respectfully.

M

mrdizzle

If you reread he actually talks in a big circle, arguing for the sake of arguing.

At first you don’t have enough DO, but plants don’t need a lot of DO, then air stones don’t provide DO, well they do but not a lot check out my link to an air stone, then the gentile flow of the UC works, but I have to change out my water at least 30times an hr or just a slight ripple will be enough.

If you didn’t pick up on it, he is here only here to flex his brain, half the shit he posted is irrelevant do what anyone was talking about. he is wrong about plant not being able to pick up gaseous o2, as that the whole premise behind ebb n flow, when the water drain it draw gaseous o2 into the root zone.

FLB

FLB

I wonder how much bud he's grown in his day. pics always get my respect. Maybe some new strains for the fella would help. They got this really sweet strain at BC seeds that will make you gay

P

pacog

Too true.....though I don't believe having information to be a license to be an ass to members of the Farm...or anyone for that matter.:bow

No one's dismissing the validity of the info....I just think when someone's being rude they should get checked, plain and simple.

Lot's of great info is passed between folks on the Farm with no disrespect necessary....let's keep that theme alive by keeping newbies (no matter how articulate) communicating respectfully.

Well said And I agree 100%:handshake

Latest posts

Top Bottom