Which has better yields, more colas or beefing up fewer colas

• Thread starter Mcsketcher
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

southeastern

No larf there. Nice plant!

@Kungpow420
Huge facts, but finding quality nugs is hard to come by still. Plus these major grow ops lie about thc content say they test thoroughly, but only test minimum amount for max profit.
Amen!

@CannaDana
I agree with you that the road for small quality grows will be hard, but I am not sure that the small craft grows will die off. There is a huge push for the "McCannabis operations" but that is just the Inc's fighting over market share. The smaller quality grower will survive just like smaller local produce farmers. They will survive because they love it, not because it makes a lot of money.

Also, after the party of legalization is over many people will start to look for quality. Right now everyone is just riding the high of being free to consume.

Last edited:
R

rolandrog

The challenge with measurements here is with indoor farm versus outdoor farms. Indoors grow in a limited space, with limited lights and air control. So the typical output measurement is considered as oz/sq.foot (or something, I work with the metric system, not oz and feet). when you move outdoor, then you typically talk about grams per plant. The guys who talk about moving faster with 4 small plants versus 1 large plant (with similar oz output) are spot on correct. with outdoors, we have 6-9 months to go for large manicured or wildgrowth plants.

but saying all of this, to your original question about fewer big colas versus many medium colas. I'm an outdoor grower and aim for fewer big colas, I lolipop and trim a huge amount during veg and pre-veg. Big buds just look beautiful, and are easier to manage during and after harvest. I love giving buds as big as my forearm to my friends 💪 the biggest bud they usually have is the size of their thumb 🤏
I would love to be your friend :-).

R

rolandrog

If my grows ever get this complex and I start feeding milk,,, I'm just going to call it a life and off myself. This shit is pure crazy! Sounds like stuff my Manic, Bipolar with multiple Personality's x dead wife would have came up with. OUCH!!!
Dude, Milk is better than Molasses rofl lmao. Milk has PROTEIN and lactose, which is a type of simple carbohydrate. Milk is also rich calcium and vitamin D

R

rolandrog

I mean there must be a reason so many people scrog and top multiple times indoors, because the buds will fatten up more if they all get more light by being evenly distributed. I do outdoor and I usually top once, maybe twice, but mostly because my climate is not kind to gigantic colas. I Ieft a couple natural last season and of course mold kicked my ass... but that's to be expected outdoors. The ones I paid more attention to, topping, training, significant defoliating, had more larger buds throughout, the ones I left natural had more larf... which I'm fine with cause I make edibles. My biggest yielder was 2 and a half pounds, she was left natural and would have made a lovely Christmas tree... but at least a half pound of that was larf. So I'd say, it depends on your circumstances. The plant can only put out what the genetics and environment allow, weather it's spread across a few giant buds or several smaller ones, doesn't make much difference in my opinion. 🤷‍♀️

R

rolandrog

In my recent very first grow, I did not do anything to my sativa dominant hybrid plant because I wanted to see just how they naturally grow. These plants grew to 9 ft tall. I harvested the top 2/3 of one plant. Then I put the LED light right over the remaining buds. I waited forever to harvest - wanting the THC to convert to CBN. When I initially harvested at 12 weeks, the trichomes were milky white and swollen. In the final harvest of lower buds, I still had only less than 5% of amber trichomes. I waited until the plant was almost dead for the 2nd harvest, over 14 weeks of flower stage.

R

rolandrog

I also call them butter buds... so not useless if you make edibles, just not worth smoking or trimming... I had about 3 pounds that ended up in the butter category last harvest.... been doing cooking experiments with reckless abandon lol.
Dudes, I wasn't expecting much from my very small buds in the bottom 4th of plant, but they were "perfect" size for my bong bowl. I didn't grind them at all. I just squeezed/pushed them into my bowl and smoked them. OMG. THEY WERE SO GOOD AND DELICIOUS and POTENT. I grew with Ocean Farm/Happy Frog mixed and 1-2 weeks before harvests.

ALSO to add, my plant naturally defoliated itself in the flower stage to ensure more light hit the buds. WTF, huh ? lmao.

Kungpow420

Kungpow420

Don't want to be a Debbie downer , but using milk as a fertilizer is OK for emergencies. Yet a pint of milk will displace oxygen in 1600 gallons of water.

TSD

TSD

Don't want to be a Debbie downer , but using milk as a fertilizer is OK for emergencies. Yet a pint of milk will displace oxygen in 1600 gallons of water.
Also great to kill PM, gotta be fat free though and gotta wash it off after a day.

TSD

TSD

Dudes, I wasn't expecting much from my very small buds in the bottom 4th of plant, but they were "perfect" size for my bong bowl. I didn't grind them at all. I just squeezed/pushed them into my bowl and smoked them. OMG. THEY WERE SO GOOD AND DELICIOUS and POTENT. I grew with Ocean Farm/Happy Frog mixed and 1-2 weeks before harvests.

ALSO to add, my plant naturally defoliated itself in the flower stage to ensure more light hit the buds. WTF, huh ? lmao.
Well of course you CAN smoke it lol, but once you're several pounds deep into trimming, you stop caring about the popcorn buds. They do make handy pre measured bong packs though for sure!

Mcsketcher

Mcsketcher

Well, I just fed her a milk, molasses and barley extract shake with Dr Earth's metabolic transformer mixed in and then drove it into the rootzone with some seaweed , fulvic acid, ascorbic acid and tribus laden water. Actually, I did it for all 4 of my plants and took some photos... Let's see what happens!

IMG 20220323 145252841
IMG 20220323 154623901
IMG 20220323 154925150
IMG 20220323 154905346
IMG 20220323 154910460
IMG 20220323 154916572
IMG 20220323 154859897
IMG 20220323 154829760
IMG 20220323 154825854
Kungpow420

Kungpow420

Well, I just fed her a milk, molasses and barley extract shake with Dr Earth's metabolic transformer mixed in and then drove it into the rootzone with some seaweed , fulvic acid, ascorbic acid and tribus laden water. Actually, I did it for all 4 of my plants and took some photos... Let's see what happens!
Definitely homie was just pointing out that milk can become a problem , but you Def can use it for fertilizer. Protein can be broke down to nitrates for the plants to consume, but it can get hot and horrible for fresh water turning it anti aerobic real quick.

Mcsketcher

Mcsketcher

Definitely homie was just pointing out that milk can become a problem , but you Def can use it for fertilizer. Protein can be broke down to nitrates for the plants to consume, but it can get hot and horrible for fresh water turning it anti aerobic real quick.
The amount I use isn't enough to create a problem... It gets processed before it can become one. I think. Last time there wasn't a smell. It's more of just a supplement to my reg ferts. It's not just nitrogen though. Milk has phophorous and potassium, b1, iron and calcium

Kungpow420

Kungpow420

The amount I use isn't enough to create a problem... It gets processed before it can become one. I think. Last time there wasn't a smell. It's more of just a supplement to my reg ferts. It's not just nitrogen though. Milk has phophorous and potassium, b1, iron and calcium
O yeah homie. I Def understand that. I was just throwing some knowledge out there. You are doing wonderful and don't forget lactic acid bacteria. That shit in itself is a beast for good soil biome.

Mcsketcher

Mcsketcher

O yeah homie. I Def understand that. I was just throwing some knowledge out there. You are doing wonderful and don't forget lactic acid bacteria. That shit in itself is a beast for good soil biome.
This is only my 2nd time applying milk... I liked the results the 1st time or at least my perceived results... We'll see if I continue to feel that way. Thank you though... I always take knowledge/info/ ideas... Like GI Joe said "knowing is half the battle"

TSD

TSD

I love you mad scientist types lol

Top Bottom