Which way to go.....upgrade time is near.

• Thread starter CelticEBE
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

Traditional HVAC, Watercooled Air handlers....or Watercooled lights

• Total voters
J

Jalisco Kid

I too am for a/c. But one thing I feel people mess in growing good bud. Using either a/c or water cooled I could not stop cooling one room to start cooling another. I want my plants temps close together. Rapid change out temps will cause more humidity in the grow room right when the girls want to start dumping some water. A/C with a variable speed air handler handles that all for me. JK
No need for heaters or dehueys.

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

Well....I already pulled the trigger on a 5 ton chiller. Should be shipping to me in about 3 weeks. Here's what I like about going this route.

One unit can cool both my flower rooms and my veg room. I do not know of any AC units that can control three rooms like that without having to have multiple compressors. I can also use it for my water cooled co2, and if I ever want to give rdwc a shot I can use it for that as well. If it breaks down I can tie my main water to it while I BRING the unit to a HVAC guy to get fixed.

Unless the unit doesn't operate like I have been told.....this is going to be the best route for me.

ttystikk

ttystikk

Well....I already pulled the trigger on a 5 ton chiller. Should be shipping to me in about 3 weeks. Here's what I like about going this route.

One unit can cool both my flower rooms and my veg room. I do not know of any AC units that can control three rooms like that without having to have multiple compressors. I can also use it for my water cooled co2, and if I ever want to give rdwc a shot I can use it for that as well. If it breaks down I can tie my main water to it while I BRING the unit to a HVAC guy to get fixed.

Unless the unit doesn't operate like I have been told.....this is going to be the best route for me.

Thus is why I have mine. With cooling power like that, you could run 10kW of bare bulbs both all day and another bunch all night, no sweat!

Who said you can't independently climate control different rooms with water cooling? I do all the time! Each room has its own environmental control system which control fans blowing through Iceboxes. This is effective in controlling temperature and humidity.

Thus, run different rooms on complementary schedules to spread out the load, and you can cool an eyebrow raising number of bulbs on your give tons of chilling capacity.

sixstring

sixstring

do they make units that big for outdoors or is this 5 ton going inside the grow somewhere?

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

What brand chiller and how much was it?5 Tons should kickass.

Banks 5 ton, I think it comes out to around 4600.

Thus is why I have mine. With cooling power like that, you could run 10kW of bare bulbs both all day and another bunch all night, no sweat!

Who said you can't independently climate control different rooms with water cooling? I do all the time! Each room has its own environmental control system which control fans blowing through Iceboxes. This is effective in controlling temperature and humidity.

Thus, run different rooms on complementary schedules to spread out the load, and you can cool an eyebrow raising number of bulbs on your give tons of chilling capacity.

No one said that.....I said you can't control more than 2 rooms with traditional HVAC......whereas I will be able to with this set up.

do they make units that big for outdoors or is this 5 ton going inside the grow somewhere?

This is an outdoor set up sixstring. However I will actually be running it inside the space next to mine, but the place will be properly vented.

ttystikk

ttystikk

What do you mean by this ttys? Running two lines of pvc through the walls perhaps?

I saw that video....freaking hilarious. That kid is all super gangster hard til the fire....then he screams like a little girl!

The pond liner is a great idea, and I may go that route at some point if I have a flood from water cooling, or if I start to run RDWC. I have used water cooled CO2 for 4 years now....and have never had a leak.

On another note, my Banks 5 ton is on the way. I will be setting it up and doing a thread once everything is up and running.

What I meant was that you need to run waterline to and from every area you want cooled, and that tends to lend itself to using saddle mounts and drilling holes in walks, etc.

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

What I meant was that you need to run waterline to and from every area you want cooled, and that tends to lend itself to using saddle mounts and drilling holes in walks, etc.

Gotcha.....luckily I am in a spot that I can do pretty much what ever the hell I want to.

LordDankinstien

LordDankinstien

You could pack the place full of hookers hearts I hear those are pretty cold :D also way cheaper!!!!

I would pvc and glue all my fittings probably a bit safer, if you have the cash and skill just sweat it all in cooper and never worry about a leak if done correctly, plus that shit is just baller! I was just servicing a 50 ton chiller at a medical grade plastics manufacture. We used 8 in schedule 80 pvc holding at around 65 psi errry day. Also I piped in a holding tank with a cleaning agent to make sure no funk grows. Chillers are the shit! Although I am running mini splits right now I plan to use chillers the next time around. Ridin the wave of the future :playful:

ttystikk

ttystikk

You could pack the place full of hookers hearts I hear those are pretty cold :D also way cheaper!!!!

I would pvc and glue all my fittings probably a bit safer, if you have the cash and skill just sweat it all in cooper and never worry about a leak if done correctly, plus that shit is just baller! I was just servicing a 50 ton chiller at a medical grade plastics manufacture. We used 8 in schedule 80 pvc holding at around 65 psi errry day. Also I piped in a holding tank with a cleaning agent to make sure no funk grows. Chillers are the shit! Although I am running mini splits right now I plan to use chillers the next time around. Ridin the wave of the future :playful:

Yeah, see? Cooling with water IS the right application for the job! And yes, as an industrial application, it actually gets more efficient with scale. The only reason my little two Ton window mount chiller couldn't keep up with a 20,000W setup all by itself was that it loses efficiency when outside temperatures climb above 85 degrees F. Hence, it can't keep up in the summer, but that's the only time it can't handle that whole load. Unassisted. That whole load includes temperature control, humidity management and RDWC cooling.

Top Bottom