Why are my seedling stretching? 😉

• Thread starter Aqua Man
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I honestly can't stand this guy, seems like hes on to mostly pimp his product, I'm not a huge light geek though.

No he isnt. He is a long term ag professor at the university of utah and now has legal hemp labs and consults with medical growers on all parameters of growing medical crops.

jaguarlax

jaguarlax

Supporter
I honestly can't stand this guy, seems like hes on to mostly pimp his product, I'm not a huge light geek though.
The dude runs one of the ONLY government funded Cannabis research labs at Utah State in the entire United States. Not only is he brilliant, but his work is literally improving quality of life for thousands, if not more. Bruce is out to pimp Apogee like Ed Rosenthal is out pimping RSO. Where do people come up with this shit?

Edit: “Hemp” lab he doesn’t even get to grow to fun stuff, or enjoy its benefits.

Last edited:
Glassdub

Glassdub

No he isnt. He is a long term ag professor at the university of utah and now has legal hemp labs and consults with medical growers on all parameters of growing medical crops.

My apologies, I suspect I was confusing him with another YouTuber of similar looks that "was" a promoter, long day... 😟

Glassdub

Glassdub

The dude runs one of the ONLY government funded Cannabis research labs at Utah State in the entire United States. Not only is he brilliant, but his work is literally improving quality of life for thousands, if not more. Bruce is out to pimp Apogee like Ed Rosenthal is out pimping RSO. Where do people come up with this shit?

Edit: “Hemp” lab he doesn’t even get to grow to fun stuff, or enjoy its benefits.
The mandela effect perhaps.

jaguarlax

jaguarlax

Supporter
The mandela effect perhaps.
Lol... Apogee is pretty far outside the purview of the average hobbiest. As far as I know they mostly do quantum sensors to test lights in lab conditions. We used one in the Marine Science Club I used to belong to. Didn’t mean to jump down your throat. I clearly have a man crush on the Doc.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I've done a little experimenting with it over the last few sessions. It is the exact same thing as the alfalfa teas and such... it isn't a hormone directly, but more of a growth stimulator from my experience.When used during vegging, it seems to provide a very strong and vibrant plant. I don't know that it makes the plant grow bigger, but everything seems more sturdy and heavier. During flowering, it seems to do the sam, but the buds seem to have more lef matter in them than just the usual crumbly buds when dry. It DOES have both good nd bad during flowering, but I have to admit that it is gret for earlier vegging. I try not to use it for a month before flowering as it seems to speed up the flowering process and shorten the finishing time... something I don't like. I prefer a long and mellow finish if possible.
Hey man thanks for this info... Personal experience is a lot more insightful

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I was getting worried about ya bro... Was gonna tag ya last night but thought maybe you having a rest. And yes Bruce Bigbee has more than earned respect in this industry.

Secret.... He is the reason I was stuck on trying vermiculite. I'm betting they run very high temps.

skaterdude

skaterdude

I'm a little late to the party on this one. Typically seedling grow tall and leggy because there's not enough light. I'm assuming by tall you mean the stem from the ground to the first set of leaves is more than about an inch. Blue light also helps, in my experience. Plants grow stockier when there's at least 10% blue light (I build my own LED grow lamps, so I can control this better than most). I typically go for 10% 450nm ("royal blue", 45% 640nm ("red"), and 45% 660nm ("deep red"). If you're not using LEDs with known wavelengths, then you need a spectroscope or the mfr's light curve to figure out what you're getting. In terms of intensity, I shoot for aout 500 umol/m2 and I use a quantum PAR meter (got one off CL!) to measure it.

chemistry

chemistry

Makes me laugh, we grow leggy seedlings, fill the pot up t the bottom leaves, and then spend a couple of hours lollypopping in the second week of flower. lol Think I'm only growing leggy seedlings from now on and save some work later. lol

Glassdub

Glassdub

I leave space at the top of the seedling cup to bury the stem with fresh soil after the first week.

Stops excessive stretching and starts making more roots.
Yeah, I plan to do this when I uppot from Jiffy pod I was a little surprised about the leggyness though because all the garden vegetables I started under the SF2000 were exceedingly stout, UNFORTUNATELY most of those were burned to death by last Fridays killer frost, thus the recent pissyness, fighting deep depression. 😔

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Yeah, I plan to do this when I uppot from Jiffy pod I was a little surprised about the leggyness though because all the garden vegetables I started under the SF2000 were exceedingly stout, UNFORTUNATELY most of those were burned to death by last Fridays killer frost, thus the recent pissyness, fighting deep depression. 😔

Sorry man that sucks.

Foutwenty71

Foutwenty71

In the research I have done... I think it was migro who tested a bunch of UV bulbs.

The best budget option with the closest ideal UVA to UVB was the repti Glo or repti sun I can't remember which. 5.0 not 10.0 reptile bulb
Ok i can help a little with this one having had exotic pets on and off my whole life and spending the $$ on them.
they only put out UV for about 3 months and you have to replace them. I'm totally familiar with both products and a few off brands that I have been purchasing off amazon as of late. Not sure of the plants requirements of UV output but if the Bastard Iguana down in the basement doesn't get within 10 -14 inches of the light ...it wont grow. I couldn't see it is being cost effective if your like me and many others who just grow for a fun hobby and get some free toking material. They cover a small area and thats it. Some of them come with a meter card??? not sure what it's called ...that will tell you it's current UV output. I have a pretty small grow space and i estimate it would take at least 4 of those bulbs to supplement the UV lighting and they aren't exactly cheap. But you can grow seedlings under them pretty good as i have in the past which is why i save a few of them every year once they are done putting out UV. And yeah....the Iguana is a real ass and hates all men...if you want him come and get him ...hehehe lolol 😉

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Lets turn that frown upside down... If this doesnt make you happy, it will at least help you sleep. Win win bro...

Maximizing Cannabis Yields with Dr Bruce Bugbee

@Aqua Man this is the vid with all parameters for best growth they have determined.

Also he shows his lab peat mix. He used vermiculite for the silica and because of the generally dry climate in utah.

And he shows all over the lab and grow chambers.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

To add:

Most of the parameters they use are exactly what ed rosenthal put in his grow book in the early 90’s.

So much for all the noobs telling the old schoolers they are stuck in old ways. Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom