Why do people grow autos?

• Thread starter CannaDana
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

frogyrogy

Regardless of whether new grower or seasoned vet I wish everyone great success with all your autos and photos.

Only advice I can offer anyone growing autos is keep the root zone warm (77-78° F) those first 2-3 weeks . . . don't over feed or over/under water and you'll likely be happy with your results.

BionicKroniK

BionicKroniK

I like that we can experiment to our hearts desire...A 6 pack of Magic Cookies Auto V1.2 (RocBudInc), #1 from last grow (top half of collage) and the other 5 from our current grow (lower half of collage). Once potted, watered as needed. There were hardly any leaves, so no trimming/defoliating were necessary. 🤔🤷‍♀️ This strain was very easy and fun to grow, we're looking into other Auto strains, but we still grow Photos too...There's pros and cons no matter what, no right or wrong answers, just whatever floats your boat! 🙃😉
👍😎✌️ @Moshmen

Habosabin

Habosabin

Here is my 19 day auto freebie I’m growing. No idea even what breeder. I was experimenting with rockwool and this one survived. Lol. Hope it lives. I fimmed it a day or so ago. She’s a beast though. This is an 8x8x4 block.

I lost a few Ethos beans for whatever reason and went thru a few other freebies until I worked the RW out. This Gorilla Glue auto was my last freebie.
4 days later. Day 23.

This is perhaps my most vigorous plant for this age. I'm keeping rh up this grow so that helps I'm sure. I love rockwool. Also, I'm keeping nutrients simple. Currently just the nova grow only.

4DBC68FE 5BF1 481B 86AF 2BCF864AC8A8
Last edited:
Habosabin

Habosabin

I like that we can experiment to our hearts desire...A 6 pack of Magic Cookies Auto V1.2 (RocBudInc), #1 from last grow (top half of collage) and the other 5 from our current grow (lower half of collage). Once potted, watered as needed. There were hardly any leaves, so no trimming/defoliating were necessary. 🤔🤷‍♀️ This strain was very easy and fun to grow, we're looking into other Auto strains, but we still grow Photos too...There's pros and cons no matter what, no right or wrong answers, just whatever floats your boat! 🙃😉
👍😎✌️ @Moshmen
View attachment 1218220
I just got some auto freebies(they don't appear to be their main ones sold)from Ethos when I made my last order of photos so looking forward to seeing what they do.

I mainly got into autos because I didn't want large outdoor plants but so many bugs in my area after a few harvests I went to a tent inside an outdoor shed so I always have a harder time with rh and temps. Can't do full indoor unfortunately.

Last edited:
Habosabin

Habosabin

👍😎✌️ @Moshmen
View attachment 1218220
Good looking buds. How do you like rockbud? These look very similar to my bruce banner auto I grew untrained outdoors. I have to train in my tent though.

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
i started with autos for several reasons, first off, the light. actually, the dark! i had a hard time making my area dark till i got a tent. then the second tent was not far behind. mostly now, i grow both. i can have 4 autos in 5 gallons and still have enough in veg to work a full flower tent and veg tent.

Autoflowersmountup

Autoflowersmountup

What are the reasons for growing auto as opposed to photoperiod? It is just because it's easier? Or faster? Are there advantages? Is it just convenience? How do the genetics stack up? What is the market for autos?
I enjoy autos for several reasons.
the quick turnaround times, no worries about light leaks or having to change light cycles.
the ability to run a staggered grow under 1 light is another big reason I prefer them to photos.

Otto Bonn

Otto Bonn

Autos
I grow autos indoor over the winter and outdoor in the summer. I know you can control photo size with veg time and pot size, but I look for easy indoor. Easy in that I don't have to worry about light leaks and power outages over the winter. I grow Autos outdoor so I can stagger my harvest. First autos, then photos.

SuperAutos (aka semi autos)
I grow mostly Sativa leaning SuperAutos outdoor. Again to stagger the harvest, but for the yield as well. They tend to finish just before photos. They're not super stable so some finish early.

Dwarfs
They're just too cute. I start them indoor and hand them off to friends. They make awesome balcony plants. I have one that only gets 12" max. Even outdoor.
(This is not LowRider)
View attachment 1217805

Photos
Outdoor. Indicas, Sativas, and Hybrids alike. Nothing wrong with photos indoor. I just don't do it often. If I find a special pheno, I might take a cut and grow it indoor as a mom or for seed.

I have to admit, I nice big photo is a sight to behold.
(Swazi)
View attachment 1217806

As for potency, I doubt you'd notice between photos and autos. People who say different are the purists in the gang. And that's ok.
That thing is a beast! 8' maybe?

Otto Bonn

Otto Bonn

With short autos, I can grow twice as many in the same space.
2 tiered.
Same here. I like variety and only grow for myself and to share with friends. I grow both photos and autos but getting a sack or two in 70 days is cool by me. I only grow inside in the Winter and can put up 8 or 10 jars of auto varieties for my Summer smoking pleasure. If you want quantity, grow photos for sure.

GanjaJack

GanjaJack

I wished I could get some autos.... SO I could grow some on my window sill and not worry about it being effected by a strict flowering schedule.

J

Johnny.5

you sound like an overconfident 20 something with an axe to grind against autos. Not sure why, I mostly agree with you, photos are better IMHO. However saying there is 0 advantages to growing autos is just not true.
I feel your aggravation, everyone has their preference, I've been reading about lights, plant's growth, etc., I got some photos from a friend which a few I started on, while I was starting those I continued reading about certain strains & the differences between autos & photos are the photos you will have to wait for like as 5 - 6 months. bigger trees but more hassle, in a populated area & autos are easier & grow fast 8-12 week from germination, smaller but as long as you keep turning you'll be fine, this spring I got another house with a privacy fence to grow some real wicked trees, I'm not combined in a room which autos come into favor easier to grow smaller, etc.

Zpotato

Zpotato

Another reason to grow Autos is they don't need as high light intensity since they will get their daily dose (DLI) at 24/0 or 20/4 or 18/6 vs 12/12 also they don't care about light leaks.

Clearbluesky

Clearbluesky

Photos are easier to grow then autos, most people kill them because they over water before roots are established and you don't have time to make up for your mistakes because the plant is going to start flowering when it wants to, as far as a high THC level I got a Mephisto alien vs triangle that's 27 percent THC and will rock you. People don't know if my buds are photo or auto, all they know is they get higher from my smoke then what the cannabis stores have around here. I got a cross I will grow this fall that's Jedi death star that's supposed to be well over the 30 percent THC but will see. I get 8 o/z and up from most autos. Here's one from Barney's farm LSD Auto that's only 61 days old from sprout, didn't start to flower until day 30 so has been flowering for 31 days and has 4 weeks to go, but killed it off because had to move things, she would of been close to a pound when done.

Screenshot 20220514 065849
Clearbluesky

Clearbluesky

Also here's a photo Afghan plant which was easier to grow because it doesn't flower until you want it, produced over 28 o/z on this plant from seed to harvest 120 days. And some of my autos was just as good as this one.

Screenshot 20220514 084102
Screenshot 20220514 084027
Garbage_bear

Garbage_bear

I know in hemp ruderalis autos you can get multiple harvests in a summer so I assume you could do the same with marijuana autos. I am not too impressed with the auto hemp plants. Small scraggly things. Maybe the marijuana autos are better for yield.

Top Bottom