World 2010 Guerilla Grow Show & Think Tank

• Thread starter Tobor the 8th Man
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

DrDanko

Hey everyone. If you're interested in keeping an eye on if anyone is checking out your grow spot, check out this link for an outdoor/weatherproof and battery-operated camera. Not as expensive as I had thought it would be to keep an eye out for rippers! And cops!...

Tobor the 8th Man

Tobor the 8th Man

Supporter
I have been considering those cameras DrDanko. It would be great to see potential rippers but I think it would be more important to see if the cops were there or set up a camera. Ones without infrared are less expensive. I think that plants are found in the daylight. They might come back at night to rip. But you would see who found them.

Welcome themist! Another Penn's Woods grower is great. We can compare notes. I do like having a group thread because many growers can post and keep it moving. You get a lot more information and grow action.

Last year did really suck. The rain was bad. I was still going to pull off a good grow though. The helicopter boys took me completely by surprise. I still think they would have missed me but there were other growers that I was not aware of making huge cornfield plots. That made them search all the cornfields with a fine tooth comb. No corn this year.

Another bad thing was all the natural gas workers that were out in about. They showed up in areas that were very remote an mostly unvisited in past years. This year I am spreading everything out much more and using more rugged areas where there won't be any gas wells.

I crisscross my bamboo sticks across the opening to keep deer from sticking their head in.

You are a seed hound by the looks of that nice collection. I love having the genetic security of a big seed collection. 500 plants is a big job. It does break down a bit easier with 3 people at 185 or so per person. I am going to play it by ear on the finale number. I might put in a few clever mini sogs in late August. It is a highly controversial method that I am the only person I know that does it. I have done it a few years now. I wrote about it one year and some people thought it was cool but many thought I was the devil reincarnated. LOL!

I am going to fill the bong and then I will post up some of Tobor the 8th Man's strange, bizarre and controversial guerilla tactics.

P

pokerman

Nice thread Tobor! I like this idea of an all inclusive thread, since I never seem to be able to really post as much as I think I should in my own.

I am a seasoned OD guy, been at it since '94. I have the same groundhog problem (being SE PA), and I've had them eat many a plant. The funny thing is, they always leave the buds laying on the ground, perfectly trimmed. But, they have no sense of timing, so they always harvest early.

is that wat it is? last year the bottom branches of buds of my plants were bitten off by something and were jus layin there on the ground....i couldn't figure out wat it was...didn't think gophers would do that.....pissed me off

Tobor the 8th Man

Tobor the 8th Man

Supporter
As promised Tobor the 8th Man's strange, bizarre and controversial guerilla tactics. Well I can't do them all now but I will share some with you over the next few post if you guys want to keep reading them.

These methods are not for everyone. They are not my main methods. I never count on them although I have never had one of these grows not get harvested. I started doing them for fun. I used to love the pictures in HT of public grows. Like somebody planted a plant in front of the police station once. The object was to get the picture. A secondary goal was to get it discovered so it became news and be like a protest against pot laws. Well I started thinking why not do them with the idea of harvesting them. The "right under their noses" theory.

Lets us start with my most controversial and bizarre method. My infamous....

TOMBSTONE SOG

Since a young age I have always been the caretaker of many of my families grave sites and since that time have also added several of my wife's family plots. I spend a lot of time in cemeteries. My wife and I do a lot of bird watching and just taking rides looking at tombstones.

I started noticing there are a lot of grave sites that never get any attention for decades. Some of the ones near the ones I tended I just started weeding and planting flowers. I have done it for years. I even wash their stones when I do ours getting off bird droppings and such.

One year I was walking around and noticed a grave nobody ever weeded or cleaned. I decided to adopt it with the idea of growing some weed in with the flowers I planted. I had female Nirvana Aurora Indica clones that I planted on the side of the tombstone away from the road. It was a big double stone about 4 feet wide and 3 feet tall. The planting area was 4ft long x 2 ft wide.

I planted eight 10 inch tall clones in the 4 x 2 on August 4. The clones had been inside under 24 hour light before going in the ground outside. They all got between 16 and 20 inches tall and I got 7 ounces of dense buds.

It was actually very easy. I am going to do it again this year. The guys that cut the grass there are in their late 60s and early 70's. They must not know what pot looks like or it just gets mundane cutting areas of tombstones and they don't noticed. I don't think I would try it at a cemetery with younger workers. But you can still plant the edges of those sometimes.

I have done it a few times now. Once they are planted it is easy to take care of them. Just go and work on another site weeding it or fake weeding it. Take a jug or two of water or ferts and when nobody is around go over and water the ladies. Even if somebody would come they just think there is another grave tender.

I figure I paid the dead people back by cleaning their tombstone, weeding their grave and planting some flowers along with my weed. Their graves were nicer when I was done.

More stuff later.

T

themist

Last year did really suck. The rain was bad. I was still going to pull off a good grow though. The helicopter boys took me completely by surprise. I still think they would have missed me but there were other growers that I was not aware of making huge cornfield plots. That made them search all the cornfields with a fine tooth comb. No corn this year.
I crisscross my bamboo sticks across the opening to keep deer from sticking their head in.

You are a seed hound by the looks of that nice collection. I love having the genetic security of a big seed collection. 500 plants is a big job. It does break down a bit easier with 3 people at 185 or so per person. I am going to play it by ear on the finale number. I might put in a few clever mini sogs in late August. It is a highly controversial method that I am the only person I know that does it. I have done it a few years now. I wrote about it one year and some people thought it was cool but many thought I was the devil reincarnated. LOL!

I never thought of the sticks, nice one. Too obvious for me to have thought of it. I used to use moth balls, but they melt in the rain, and that defeats the purpose. Then I went to the cages.

I'll only put in fifty or so with the one guy, its the other guy that I'll get the rest in with. He's getting older, and can't put out what he used to. So, he asked me to lend a hand. I'll actually be stepping in on a very old set up, and it's spread out over four counties. We don't get the choppers like we used to, I think tight budgets have killed it. But, there's no public land or corn fields on our list, so maybe that helps. He is out there every year until the fourth of july, I guess that'll be me this year. Still, you hit it on the head, I'll play by ear also, since five hundred might be a little ambitious. I'm just trying not to HAVE to grow every year if I don't want to. My buddy getting cancer last year drove the point home that none of us are spring chickens anymore, and I might not be able to get out there next year.

I LOVE seeds. Clones are limiting in their use. You can't shut your room down and hide your clones in the rafters. But, you could hide fifty seeds almost anywhere.

707style

Are there any outdoor growers from the Humboldt county area that have any advice on irrigation. I live in Northern Cali and we don't get rain in the summer. Is irrigation a must? If so does anyone have any pointers, or possibly a web site or thread with some info? Thanks.

Tobor the 8th Man

Tobor the 8th Man

Supporter
Hey honda I thought the song said it never rained in southern California.

I never had to do irrigation. There was a summer or 2 where I had a severe drought and had to carry waterbut the norm around my parts is we get more than enough rain. However, if I do have a water source handy or lug some water the plants get bigger. Hole size and genetics play a big part but getting a plant every bit of water it WANTS is the single best thing a grower can do to maximize size.

A lot of the things I know are mostly ways to collect and save the rains that we get. If a grower is lucky enough to have some steady rains you can collect the extra to use when you go visit or collect it and have a gizmo that will give the plant water when you are not there. If you don't get rain those methods won't help you anyways.

If you want to use irrigation you still have to have a reliable source of water to irrigate with. Then the experienced irrigation growers can help you with what you need. You will need tubing, pump and maybe a reservoir for the water you haul.

themist I love those green bamboo sticks. I have bought so many packs of them it isn't funny. They have some pretty good size ones to. The 5 or 6 foot ones are pretty thick too and can be used for bud support. I use the thinner 4 footers to brace the cage and do the crisscross. I use 3 of them. One I break in half and use each 2 foot section to mount on opposite sides of the fence. I weave them in and out of the chicken wire and then shove them in the ground about half a foot. They won't reach the top of the 2 foot fence but they have it well supported. Then I take the 2 four foot sticks and thread them through the top hole on one of the "no stick" sides and angle it through the opposite side about the middle of the other side. Then I repeat on the opposite side with the last 4 foot stick. I jam them in the ground as far as I can but leave at least 6 inches sticking out the side. It anchors them real good.

Hey themist when you plant the kali mist from seed do all the females finish for you? On the seed packs what does the breeder say is the flowering time? How many weeks or days does it estimate?

Honda do you have a 600 or 1000 bike? Just curious. My bike riding days are over. LOL!

707style

Hey honda I thought the song said it never rained in southern California.

I never had to do irrigation. There was a summer or 2 where I had a severe drought and had to carry waterbut the norm around my parts is we get more than enough rain. However, if I do have a water source handy or lug some water the plants get bigger. Hole size and genetics play a big part but getting a plant every bit of water it WANTS is the single best thing a grower can do to maximize size.

A lot of the things I know are mostly ways to collect and save the rains that we get. If a grower is lucky enough to have some steady rains you can collect the extra to use when you go visit or collect it and have a gizmo that will give the plant water when you are not there. If you don't get rain those methods won't help you anyways.

If you want to use irrigation you still have to have a reliable source of water to irrigate with. Then the experienced irrigation growers can help you with what you need. You will need tubing, pump and maybe a reservoir for the water you haul.

Honda do you have a 600 or 1000 bike? Just curious. My bike riding days are over. LOL!

Thanks for the help. I found some of the gizmo's you mentioned. You set it for how many day intervals and how long you want it to come on.

Right now i've got a 954rr.

J

JohnWaynesTeeth

LOVE this thread guys, going to grow outdoors for the 1st time this season and i cant contain my excitment. I have a decent amount of fem seeds that i'm about to pop and get into veg, also taking clones off of my juicy fruit and pure kush moms to see how they do outdoors. Anyone have any input on light adjustment, more specifically how can i assure that there's a smooth transition from cfl's to natural sunlight when the time comes.

trinityalps

trinityalps

Are there any outdoor growers from the Humboldt county area that have any advice on irrigation. I live in Northern Cali and we don't get rain in the summer. Is irrigation a must? If so does anyone have any pointers, or possibly a web site or thread with some info? Thanks.

Hey Honda,
I'm up in Trinity and its real hot and dry up there too, so we irrigate. We've been using 55 gallon food grade barrels. They're also light so we can get them up a steep hill. Unfortuantely they're bright blue, so we have camo paint them once we get them in place. We arrange the barrels so that they syphon into one another-- the bottom barrel has a timer set so we water just before dawn and again after 2 or 3 in the afternoon. We found out that a continuous loop of irrigation hose as opposed to separate lines works best and just use a couple of emiters per plant. This year we're going to try a small soaker hose buried just below the surface in the hopes that it will distribute the water better. We also bury all the hoses not only to hide it from critters, but to keep the water cooler so the plants don't get a hot bath in the middle of the day.

Then we use a 6.5 horsepower pump to pump water up to the barrels from a creek about 150 feet below. We leave the pump in place sow we camouflage it too --its a big no-no to pump from a creek in our area, even though its on private land--- that f-'ing Cindy at Fish and Wildlife would have a melt-down if she found it. Takes about a minute to fill each barrel. Its also good to take a minute and look around to check if anyones around before you start the engine. What makes this system easy for us is that we have the luxury of a nearby creek and 7 barrels so we only have to fill them a couple times a month.

Hope that helps.

TrinityAlps

Tobor the 8th Man

Tobor the 8th Man

Supporter
JohnWaynesTeeth wtf?? Why did you steal his teeth?

You are like me and you have already gotten started on the outdoor. Excellent!

Get busy people. We have a planet to plant.

I don't put my stuff out until after May 15th and I use to try and put them outside for a few hrs each day before transplanting outdoors. Give them morning sun the first day and take them in around 10 am. Next day 11 am, 3rd day 12 n and 4th day 4 pm. If you need to harden off to the cold then on the 5th day leave them out until an hour after sunset. The 6th day leave them out until 10 p and the 7th day all night and they are good to go.

I don't ever harden off the plants that go out after June 1. I use to do a light transition for every plant but I don't do it anymore and I haven't noticed anything detrimental. It might slow them down a day or 2 but that's it.

I actually most always transplant outside when it is raining or is going to rain. Cloudy, moist days give seedlings the best chance and they transition easily.

Tobor the 8th Man

Tobor the 8th Man

Supporter
My seedlings are coming along nicely. I hung my 4 light and 8 light T-5s so I have more veg space.

Here they are in the 20 oz styro cups.

The first 2 pics are the 5 Alien Dawg f2. Today was 2 weeks since I first put the seeds in the ground.

Then there are the 10 GDP x BC. I know it is my own cross but look how robust they look. They are pretty uniform looking too. This cross is awesome. It came out just the way I hoped. The great GDP flavor and a lot more potent from the Bubba Chunk dad. These are good yielders with dense buds that cure to a superb flavor.

There are also 4 Uranium Cranium Kush that is another of my crosses. They look like Katsu Bubba Deep Chunk dominant but there is some white in there and uranium cranium. This is the one I did real good in the 2009 420 Cup. I only planted 3 seeds that year and got 1 female and entered some of the buds. All those people that beat me used clones of elites or clones of stellar examples found in seeds that were grown out. I think if I search a few seeds I could find a super pheno. But that is a real good showing for "plant a seed, harvest and enter".

DSCN0435
DSCN0436
DSCN0437
DSCN0438
DSCN0439
DSCN0440
DSCN0441
Tobor the 8th Man

Tobor the 8th Man

Supporter
Here are a few more seedlings.

The Purple Urkel x the White are looking good as are the Kushberry. I am really looking forward to smoking some of these someday.

There are a couple G13/SDibl and a (NL/Leopard Kush x Pure Kush) x Chemdog D bx2. I hope it is a female.

DSCN0442
DSCN0443
DSCN0444
DSCN0445
DSCN0446
T

themist

Hey themist when you plant the kali mist from seed do all the females finish for you? On the seed packs what does the breeder say is the flowering time? How many weeks or days does it estimate?

Yeah, they finish, but they want to go longer most years. Last year I harvested November 5th, and it was essentially done, but could've beefed up more in another week. I pulled because of looming frost. Last year I took it on October 28th, for the same reason. I grow this strain in a spot that late in the year gets slightly shaded. I do that so that it finishes a little earlier, but the yield suffers. I get about two to four ounces, depending on pheno, but this is my favorite strain of all time, and I grow it every year. I could care less about the yield.

The breeder (Serious Seeds) says late November outdoors, or 70-90 days indoor. That jives with what I get if I don't hide it in the shade. This link will take you to pics of the one I grew last year.

I'm jealous of all you guys that are already started, maybe I'll find a way next year.

J

JohnWaynesTeeth

rock on i appriciate the info Tobor, hell yeah man already got my clones doing their thing and i just popped about 60 beans of 2 crosses that i made. one's old school sensi juicy fruit and the others pure La kush...i crossed both with a pre98x la con hybrid. i'm also popping about 40 purple urkel fem seeds. I'll post some pix as soon as they sprout.

Tobor the 8th Man

Tobor the 8th Man

Supporter
Wow JWT! You have a seriously wicked line-up guy with an old school juicy fruit twist. Glad you found this thread. When you post it is your thread too. Your grow will be an awesome addition.

We are gathering a real nice group in here. I guess that is what happens when you invite the world to join. It would be sweet if some stoner alien being from outer space would join in with some weird but super productive grow methods and take us to another level. puff, puff.. yeah I'm real stoned on some crazy good Sweet Blue from SOL.

4214evr

wow awesome job 8th on 420 cup did grind ever finish the prophet for all of us . august 1st works great in downtown sohum

Tobor the 8th Man

Tobor the 8th Man

Supporter
thanks 4214evr! I grew out the prophet one year but it was different makeup than the one Grindhouse has now. Similar but a specific pheno of Blue Sonja is used called Tang Tang. I think that is how it is.

Why are you a minute late every day for 4:20? I mean seriously 4:21. Quit smoking so much pot and get here on time. LOL!

Tobor the 8th Man

Tobor the 8th Man

Supporter
Welcome HK. You always have the most extensive seed list for outdoors with crosses that are not common but sound really special.

Top Bottom