4 600s or 3 1000s

• Thread starter Bobby Smith
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

f1ydave

This is the one I was talking about:

Ping that guy from your link and ask what the BTU rating of that chiller is.

My only concern is that its made for an aquarium, which doesn't have perpetual heating from room, lights and pumps.

I wish there was a little more technical data that I could look through. I just don't have enough experience with "process cooling" to really go about this by myself. Knowing what BTU the window unit was would help out greatly.

It would be really easy to replicate this tho with a craigslist bought portable a/c. With a closed loop design, just need stainless steal or titanium coil into a UC bucket.

R

RMCG

It's a window unit. Not an 'aquarium unit'.

Window A/C's can run all day long, cycling just fine and will easily outlast an aquarium unit.

It is a 12k btu (1T) unit.

Yes, very easy to build one, if you can reclaim the refrigerant, remove the evaporator, braize a titanium coil to copper tubing, install the titanium inside a PVC shell and refill with the proper amount of refrigerant.

People were doing this long before by just hacking open an window unit, bending down the evaporator and submerging them in water/res. He just 'refined' it by putting on a 'tube and shell' chiller with a titanium tube vs 'finned evaporator'.

Even the mighty 'ChillKings' (up to 2HP units) are essentially converted Window A/C's (with nice compressors).

B

Bobby Smith

Rollin - I'm on it - EZ issues are fully fixed (added a badass venturi which has totally helped things out), but now I'm gonna have to wait another week or two to take 120 more clones, then another 7-10 days for those to root.

Shady - that was a tongue-in-cheek comment :) As far as old pics, hard drive got wiped out by some geeky hacker fuck earlier this summer, but I'll throw up a link or two from other forums - last run was 142 plants in a 4x4 tray - cramped but worked out pretty well and trimming was a fucking breeze :)

Post #2685 (on the last page of the thread) has some pics of my 9/sf experiment:

http://www.invalid.com/hydroponics-aeroponics/109497-sog-growers-wanted-68.html

EDIT: I'll throw up some pics tomorrow - had a guy here fixing our heating system so didn't get much done, and was in Florida for most of the week before that :)

Shady

Shady

Chillin' in the Shade...
Supporter
Wow... 9 plants per SF! Sounds like a nice SOG... I couldn't see the Picts as I don't have an RIU account, but based on the comments and yield, you did quite well... BTW, I knew you were teasin' about the time frame... I'm just giving you a hard time... :giggle although you might beat my buddy Trichome Fan for the longest build... Shit I can't really complain though as I'm lazy and taking forever to setup my little UC upgrade...

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

although you might beat my buddy Trichome Fan for the longest build...

Damn,
and I was gonna chime in and say hurry up so we can see some more pics.:D

Bobby,
coming from a chronic over thinker, and a thinking over chronic-er. Take your time and have fun. But I gotta tell you. I am already getting a little antsy waiting, and looking out towards my future and thinking of different vertical options for myself. Who knows, maybe after a couple of cracks at DWC, I might just have to get an exemption for 99 plants so I can go vert. Is that what they call pipe dreams? Heath inspired maybe......

-TF

B

Bobby Smith

Lol TF.........was just gonna tell Shady that you built a multimillion dollar mansion as opposed to my Section 8 horseshit of a build :)

But I'm locking myself in there for 8 hour days from hereon out until it's done (wanted to do that today but was stuck inside while our heater got fixed) - really need to get off my ass and finish it, hoping to be TOTALLY done by Friday.

Setting up the veg tent tomorrow and am gonna put the fully rooted clones (about 20-30 of them) in 4" pots (same ones I used for my 142 experiment) and veg them for about a week or two (hopefully, might take 3 weeks) until I can get 120 solid clones off of them.

Also took a video before I left (for some dude at another forum), but here's the new delivery system:

Fuck, running a model so I can't paste anything - just do a Youtube search for "SOGBobSmith" and it's the latest video - 12.7.10.

Also TF, I've already got ideas for my next setup AND my setup after that :)

Gonna move up to bushes and then to full on trees.............but I wanna get a few runs in with this PVC to see how I like it :)

EDIT: there's three different "vintages" of clones in there - the newest ones (which have had the benefit of the venturi I installed in there) are busting out at the seams with roots.

Pics tomorrow.

Shady

Shady

Chillin' in the Shade...
Supporter
Lol TF.........was just gonna tell Shady that you built a multimillion dollar mansion as opposed to my Section 8 horseshit of a build :)
:D Shit... TF has the mansion, and Bobby your build is gonna be better than Section 8... Wait till you see my ghetto HUD UC build. okay, I think I might have to lock myself in to finish my shit as well... BTW I just realized I spelled TF's name wrong... :itwasntme

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

Bobby,
Have you ever seen a vertical garden inside using aeroponics?

It would seem to work well for that many plant sites.

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
I think your missing a critical part, a capillary mat. imho, safest guaranteed delivery system that has already been used and proven for this exact setup.
SInce you want to go the most high tech, Why not run aero misters?

B

Bobby Smith

TF - yeah, there was a guy at IC who ran HP aero in a similar setup - not sure it's worth the hassle, but time will tell (definitely plan on running HP aero before I die :) )

Lead - not necessarily going for "high tech" (and was considering drain to waste for a while and still kind of am, especially if I run during the summer) - looking for the best blend of simplicity and reliability while also being a high output system. I think the aero/NFT hybrid (current setup) is the best fusion of those goals, but we'll see - definitely thought about running PVC piping with misters, but that seemed like a shitload of work and wasn't too sure how much better the results would be from the current setup.

Might return the sprinklers I bought (2.25 gallons per minute and 360 spray pattern) for the 90 degree sprinklers which are rated for .75 gallons per minute - any thoughts on that? Finer spray and more DO?

B

Bobby Smith

Fucking Frozen Pipes

Goddam has this shit pissed me off...........the weather all up and down the EC has been BRUTALLY cold, and of course my PVC drainage pipe is fully frozen over (although I'm not sure exactly how frozen, i.e., where the ice starts).

Anyhow, I think I have the answer to this problem (if the freezing is localized to the 3/4" tubing, just gonna rip that out and deal with the gurgling of water from time to time) and I'm hoping it won't be an issue going forward, but it's sure put a fucking cramp in my style over the past two days - can't run my CO2 generator, can't drain my old reservoirs/EZ, etc.

Might need to pick up a natural gas heater (aka, CO2 generator) from Home Depot as a redundancy should this happen again, because that solenoid will allow water to flow through for 12 hours (until CO2 levels are reached) and will find any weak points in the piping and drip out of it.

Anyhow, here are the pics of the 20-30 healthy ("healthy" is a stretch, but the clones look better than the mothers they came from - they're turning a darker color green than the lime you see) clones I took about 7-10 days ago (and the venturi I put in) - the not so good ones next to them are from 14 and 21 days ago, respectively.

121410 001
121410 002
121410 003
121410 004
Shady

Shady

Chillin' in the Shade...
Supporter
Not too bad Bobby... Got some nice white roots on the clones. That's some crazy shit about the frozen pipes though! Sounds like a heater and pipe insulation is gonna be a necessity... :thinking

A

A6 Grower

Nice lookin clones! What do you put in your cloner? Right now I'm just using tap water with rooting gel and am having a 50/50 success rate in about 5 days or so. Keep up the good work, hope ya figure out your pipe issues.

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
Lead - not necessarily going for "high tech" (and was considering drain to waste for a while and still kind of am, especially if I run during the summer) - looking for the best blend of simplicity and reliability while also being a high output system. I think the aero/NFT hybrid (current setup) is the best fusion of those goals, but we'll see - definitely thought about running PVC piping with misters, but that seemed like a shitload of work and wasn't too sure how much better the results would be from the current setup.

Might return the sprinklers I bought (2.25 gallons per minute and 360 spray pattern) for the 90 degree sprinklers which are rated for .75 gallons per minute - any thoughts on that? Finer spray and more DO?

running water is nft not aeroponics, aero uses misters.

Vert aero used a 11/64 drill bit and 360degress mister with high powered pump. can drill and attach to vertical tubes or run 1/2 tubes with misters inside. each mister hits a net pot. was ran 1 minute on 20 minutes off.

a beginner who killed it first run with the aero, then could never duplicate the results. I suspect the system was clean to start and then he never again got it clean and kept it clean. Much less room for error but much higher performance is the trade off.

you are probably safer going with the current top drip/ nft you got.

water does seem to be going kinda fast and maybe could damage roots (so keep in mind in case you do not slow it down)

Some nft setups use a mat to give the roots something to attach to. I have not run nft but I have been to a commercial greenhouse and saw the system in action (horizontal nft)

The water is running along at a nice pace but not like a waterfall or river. I could be wrong but your video make it appears like the water is rushing through the vertical tubes at a very fast rate.

Excessive turbulance can cause breakage of tiny root hairs adding debris to the solution, potentially feeding pathogens.

You are talking in your video about how on another forum, a member was giving you the same precaution about the speed of the water flow.

well same goes for a uc, was stated if the pump is overpowered could damage roots. I do not know from experience if this is true or not.

Just trying to help you avoid and more hiccups and give another point of view of what could potentially be a problem.

Hope that helps

B

Bobby Smith

What do you put in that cloner, bobby smith?

Lol, I've put everything but the kitchen sink in it messing around - I'll take pics later today, roots are full on exploding at this point.

When I run it next time, I'm just gonna use tap water and a little clonex and see how that does - right now there's some Superthrive and Floranova Bloom in there.

Lead, where the water is distributed to the top plant is without a doubt aero - that water comes out in a very fine spray (from the sprinklers - remember, I switched out the plastic shrub waterers and put in proper sprinklers), and then starts "coagulating" (a horrible word choice, but I don't know how else to express what the water does) and running down - BTW, are you talking about Betterboy from ICMag's grow?

Long story short, the first (top) plant gets the benefit of the "aero" portion, and then I'm assuming that water will get diffused by the plant's roots when it runs down the column so it *shouldn't* hurt the lower plant's roots below too much - I'll see if I can't take a quick video from above one of the columns to show you exactly how it "works".

If the 2.25GPH sprinklers that are in there now are too much, I can always switch out to the .75GPH sprinklers - thinking of doing that anyways for a finer mist at the top of the column.

This Eagle's game is so sickening to watch I'm gonna go put in some work in the garage - setup the three "mother" plants around the cooltube and that has really helped me out (will explain when I post pics later).

BTW, any advice/criticisms/comments are always welcome - this is uncharted territory for me so I love to hear any and all points of view.

B

Bobby Smith

THE PATENTED REVERSE MUSH WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!

AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, what a fucking game.............

B

Bobby Smith

Eagles-Giants game; craziest football game I've ever had the pleasure to watch............my girl's a Giant's fan and is almost ready to kick me outta the house.

OKAY BIRDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom