• Start date
  • Tagged users None
Quagmire

Quagmire

Posted the wrong photos above... here she is in her new home.. 3gal nursery pot
IMG 0162

Panacea79

Panacea79

Posted the wrong photos above... here she is in her new home.. 3gal nursery potView attachment 543952

Looking pretty there quag
Just checked up on my paper towels and one BRB is looking pretty good. About a 1/4" tail on it and the other 2 are cracked and STARTING to poke theirs out too. I'm just kind of worried that if I leave ANY of them in there (waiting for the tap root to show itself) TOO LONG that they might rot. I say this cuz I've, after putting the popped, tail-showing beans into the soil and after waiting about 8 days and wondering what's up, I dug them up....and wouldn't you know it, they were rotted. The shells were soft and they had this pus-like substance (I'm assuming the root and/or seed insides) coming out of it and when I crushed them between my fingers they smelled rotten. Granted I do remember watering, probly TOO much, them in the peat pots I had transferred them to....and not the way you're SUPPOSED to water seedlings which is with preferably a dropper and ONLY really right around the seed hole itself and about an inch from it to try and make the roots stretch to look for water. Unfortunately, it being my first grow, I watered them ALMOST daily and I'm sure I drowned them but.......ANYWAY!...Not THIS time. This whole growing thing is SUCH a great learning experience and NOT just because I'm learning how to grow! I mean obviously that's a plus, lol, but...I feel that growing gives you SO MUCH MORE than just great plants and smoke, etc.
To me it's helped me learn to be patient, the importance of trial-and-error learning and definitely pride in oneself for a job well done.
Ok, I'm done with my little speech. I just felt like sharing how this whole thing is and continues to be an excellent learning experience and not to mention nothing beats meeting and talking to the people I've found on here and the bonds and friendship I've made on here.

3N1GM4

3N1GM4

Why doesnt anyone here pop beans in soil or rooting blocks? All you do is put it on top and move the moistened medai around the seed a little. A few days later its sprouted the way it would in the wild and the tap root can go its way naturally without being moved. I try to get the pointed end pointing down to get it started in the right direction.

Quagmire

Quagmire

Why doesnt anyone here pop beans in soil or rooting blocks? All you do is put it on top and move the moistened medai around the seed a little. A few days later its sprouted the way it would in the wild and the tap root can go its way naturally without being moved. I try to get the pointed end pointing down to get it started in the right direction.

Actually if I'm using my own beans, which are usually very fresh like weeks old, I just drop them into soil and water.. they pop up pretty quick.. but trying this with seedlings you get in trades or gifts you just have no idea how the other person stored them or how old the seed is adding to it's difficulty to germinate.. and probably because this is how most of the grow books have taught us too.. would of been nice to have someone show me old school ways to germinate seeds, especially if it's less stress on the young baby and higher % of germination..
Sure appreciate your input, will have to check out rooting blocks now..

Quagmire

Quagmire

Pan... I've never left one in a damp paper towel more then 3-5 days.. your right in being careful regarding root rot in young seedlings too.. we all tend to kill them with kindness our 1st grow and we do learn from it huh? Your right about what you said about how to water a seedling too, wet is not good but damp is.. once born I allow the soil to dry out almost fully to where the pot is dry and light.. getting used to how heavy it is wet vs dry is a great way to learn when to water.. just be careful, when you water that dry do it slowly so water can be absorbed vs running right out the bottom on small pots.. I give my 1gal pots 1 1/2 cups every 2 days, but my room may be warmer or humidity may be different.. best thing to do is get a feel for your pots wet and then dry and simply pick them up and judge by weight 1st.. easy peezy.

Panacea79

Panacea79

Well I DID end up planting the 3 BRB and the 1 Big Daddy...i would've germed more but, as I mentioned before, I have limited space and with my luck they'd ALL sprout and probly ALL BE GIRLS to boot, lol!! But I'm also a frequent victim of Murphy's law so, knock on wood, it could also turn out that NONE sprout and/or are all dudes! We'll see tho
Oh, btw, I don't think I have any 1 gallon pots exactly but I'm sure I got some that'll do the trick to sex them...Well, keep it green, or should I say RED, LOL!!!

Og Gong

Og Gong

Rip Geologic
I can't wait to see how red this Bad Bitch gets. Good luck on the hunt. Peace.

S

Seraphim19

My two have shown sex and I got 1 male and 1 female.

I had a bad batch of soil recently but these babies were the first put in new soil so they have escaped the vicious yellowing that my other plants have suffered.

the male has been killed, I am doing a feminised seed run at the moment so I cant risk any other pollen contaminating the seeds.
Here he is before the chop
20151019 150930

Side View
20151019 150958

Balls!
20151019 151057

The female has been left to keep growing. I hope she turns red!
20151019 151144

20151019 151200

20151019 151213

I know that this girl will be contaminated by the feminised weapon x pollen I am making at the moment, but I really don't mind a few fem RED X seeds wont hurt.

Panacea79

Panacea79

Actually if I'm using my own beans, which are usually very fresh like weeks old, I just drop them into soil and water.. they pop up pretty quick.. but trying this with seedlings you get in trades or gifts you just have no idea how the other person stored them or how old the seed is adding to it's difficulty to germinate.. and probably because this is how most of the grow books have taught us too.. would of been nice to have someone show me old school ways to germinate seeds, especially if it's less stress on the young baby and higher % of germination..
Sure appreciate your input, will have to check out rooting blocks now..

I 2nd that on checking out the rooting blocks! For some reason I always associated blocks and rock wool, etc. with growing hydroponically...don't ask me why but, yeah, definitely gonna look into alternatives to the old paper towel to soil method. But, again, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, right?? But I can still TWEAK it, right? Lol

S

Seraphim19

I 2nd that on checking out the rooting blocks! For some reason I always associated blocks and rock wool, etc. with growing hydroponically...don't ask me why but, yeah, definitely gonna look into alternatives to the old paper towel to soil method. But, again, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, right?? But I can still TWEAK it, right? Lol
have a look at root riot starter cubes, they work great and are organic. I have used them a lot. the only reason I am not using them now is because I ran out and haven't ordered more

Panacea79

Panacea79

I'll check it out for sure. Btw, I as talking with Quagmire about how he use and swears by the Roots Organic XXL soil so I went on Amazon (I got some gift cards for my bday) and purchased the .75 cu ft bag for around $18. Then I as browsing online and found this website called plant natural.com and they had the 1.5 cu ft bag for $15.50!!!!! Needless to say I was floored by that price and looked around the rest of the site a little bit and found all kinds of bargains!!! Anyway, I guess my point is if you, or anyone else on here, hasn't seen or doesn't know about this site because so far it has some of the best deals on ALL KINDS OF GROWING SUPPLIES! Soils, nutes, feels, composts, lights, fans, tents, pots....you name it! Just thought I'd share with you guys✌

Panacea79

Panacea79

Oh yeah!! I almost forgot...so I germed and planted 3 BRB's and 1 Big Daddy. I put them all in small peat pots with a 'Homemade Seed Starter MediaMix' of FFOF(25%), vermiculite(35%), peat moss(25%), perlite(10%) and sphagnum moss(5%). I put them into the soil after scuffing them with an emery board, soaking them for 24 hrs in RO H2O and then into paper towels and into a zip lock Baggie for about 42-46 hrs. I sprayed the top of the soil with RO water and gave each pot/seed about 2-3 ml of RO and that was about 4-5 days ago.
I then placed them in a jiffy pot humidity dome about 4-5 days ago and hen I checked on them this morning I noticed that the Big Daddy, while NOT exactly sprouting full-on, seed was FULLY CRACKED and I believe I saw the tap root/tail facing down into the hole soooo.......fingers crossed!! I am super psyched!! Let's pray the BRB beans follow suit with the Big. D's as theyre feminized

Quagmire

Quagmire

have a look at root riot starter cubes, they work great and are organic. I have used them a lot. the only reason I am not using them now is because I ran out and haven't ordered more

Back when cloning I used RR plugs for all my cuttings with almost 99% return on rooted cuts.. they are like little sponges huh? retain moisture very well.. for a few years I just tossed old ones under my porch hoping they'd break down being organic right.. well now we have this new puppy who every once in a while I'll see playing with something and as I look over it's one of the RR plugs with a stem sticking out of it and he's chewing on the stem... LOL. talk about a messed up way of getting noticed right? LMAO
Now time for an update on my BRB girl who I hope has been lightly pollinated by our male who got the cut but I did save the majority of the balls to dry out, grind up and sprinkle over her again in another week.. I find this works pretty good to.
yes, I do things in weird ways so don't necessarily follow what I do ok... just enjoy the ride. hehe. My girl is looking good but think she might be asking for some food. most indica dom plants do..
IMG 0003

a bit more of a side shot.. she's gonna have some nice branching down the road and is flowering very fast..

IMG 0004

Going to have to hit her with some nutrients here next day or so.. good luck everyone.. this is her day #23

str8smokn

str8smokn

She's looking good there Quagmire,it's all up to you and Panacea to see what these Bitchs have to offer.
STR8

Panacea79

Panacea79

Damn, she is an early flower.....er? Lol. Definitely a little one but only until my latest auto grow were ANY of my plants more than 13" or 14". Short but bushy. I bet when u feed her she'll grow up a bit.

Panacea79

Panacea79

She's looking good there Quagmire,it's all up to you and Panacea to see what these Bitchs have to offer.
STR8

No pressure, huh!? Hehe! It's the story of my (grow)life so far....started 3 BRB's and they all cracked, showed some tail and were planted but so far nothing above ground but I'm not too worried. It's taken up to 10 days for shoots to show...but I throw ONE Big D. In there, barely opens, no tail and yet I think she'll show her face first! Irony at its best

Quagmire

Quagmire

Don't wanna burst your bubble Pan, but that's how most of ours started.. so here's hoping you get a few to show their green heads buddy.. :smoking:. At this point it all seems to be about luck.. I started 6 BRB and 6 Lucky Dip to get my 2 plants.. but our guru is trying to correct all this by making sure all seeds using for tests from this point on are much fresher, thus, higher germination % for all of us..
I hope my F1 seeds show up good, but then again I'm also hitting her with one of my very own strains called Sniper that should add some size to the colorful girl.. Think I'll wait for some of his later generations of BRB to make pure F1 seeds as I don't care for the early leave curl and poor start of this earlier gen.. she flowers a bit to quick for my likings, thus a very small plant where I'm trying to grow Auto's that take more like 21 days to sex and grow to about 2ft+ for higher yields.. my end goal is to pull 2oz per plant and run 6 each grow..
Looking forward to seeing if her colors come out though.. my room is running right at about 68f - 72f most of the time... should be lots of fun and a great test of learning this run.. so hang in there buddy... :D

Top Bottom