Beer Cup Challenge Anyone?

• Thread starter Artist
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

redshift75

so is the goal to only use the solo cup as the container or the goal the amount of medium one can fit in the container to grow in?

With the final goal being how big you can grow with in those restraints. I think Dirbag suggested full wet weight at chop and final dried trimmed bud weight.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
so is the goal to only use the solo cup as the container or the goal the amount of medium one can fit in the container to grow in?

With the final goal being how big you can grow with in those restraints. I think Dirbag suggested full wet weight at chop and final dried trimmed bud weight.

Goal is to go start to finish in a solo cup. No transplants, and everyone rocks the same veg time.

You can use whatever media you want in the cup, soil, coco, rockwool, whatever. And you can feed it whatever you want.
The cup can not be used to support a plant in a larger DWC Bucket.

@Mikelej14, I have no problem with some creative cup modification as long as the roots do not leave the solo cup. But I think if someone wants to poke holes in it to make a smart cup... cool. I like the thinking. Or even make a nano-DWC res and use a shot glass as the plant holder inside the solo cup? Again I have no problem with that. The whole Idea to me is to see what we can do with a solo cup and a fixed veg time, and compare results.

R

redshift75

Goal is to go start to finish in a solo cup. No transplants, and everyone rocks the same veg time.

You can use whatever media you want in the cup, soil, coco, rockwool, whatever. And you can feed it whatever you want.
The cup can not be used to support a plant in a larger DWC Bucket.

@Mikelej14, I have no problem with some creative cup modification as long as the roots do not leave the solo cup. But I think if someone wants to poke holes in it to make a smart cup... cool. I like the thinking. Or even make a nano-DWC res and use a shot glass as the plant holder inside the solo cup? Again I have no problem with that. The whole Idea to me is to see what we can do with a solo cup and a fixed veg time, and compare results.
so if i understand what Mike is saying about roots leaving the cup. What do we do when they do? just cut them? if i grow in soil is it ok if the tails come out as long as im not placing the cup in a secondary media container? I agree with that as i have seen in the past the people who cut the bottom of the cups out put in a screen and place em on top of dirt or what have you. I do expect the strain i grow to want to outgrow the cup naturally and the roots will shoot out. But i have some good genetics that love to maximize whatever container they are in. But never attempted a solo cup. 2L bottle yes. Solo cup no.

basically can i turn a solo cup into an airpot with a soldering iron.... or Will people call shenanigans?

Mikelej14

Mikelej14

As long as the roots are only shooting out into open air theyll air prune themselves, its like you said cutting bottom and letting it grow into a bigger area than the cup is the no no

Mikelej14

Mikelej14

So there is no definite start time for this? Just whenever we feel like starting?

How long will the veg time be, and we are talking time from seed hitting soil until 12/12 flip?

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
So there is no definite start time for this? Just whenever we feel like starting?

How long will the veg time be, and we are talking time from seed hitting soil until 12/12 flip?

I think this Challenge needs a new thread started with the rules outlined in the first post.

Veg time from seed is 3 weeks, time starts when first true leaves appear.
Clone veg time is 1 week from the time of transplant.

No start time, it's based on an honor system of no cheating. Start when you can, and post results when its finished.

As for poking holes to make a smart cup, no shenanigans, that's allowed.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
It's a shame we cant edit posts after half an hour, as that would make it a lot easier to keep a running scoreboard in the first post.
@1diesel1 @logic @Rootbound
Is it possible to setup a one of a kind thread where the OP would have the ability to modify the first post ongoing to add growers to the scoreboard? Just curious, I'm not sure how tweakable this forum is. But it would be cool if we could.

If not do any of you have a suggestion how to keep scores organized and easily accessible for participants?

Mikelej14

Mikelej14

It would make for a semi-flooded but entertaining scroll of a post but people could post pics when first leaves are out and flip to flower to document starting times on the post, then a finish post with results.
So each person makes 3 posts, each replying directly to their previous(veg start, flower start, finish) so its easier for folks to jump to their start pics

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Might even makes sense to have 2 threads, one for discussion and ongoing pics, and one for final submissions, including those 3 pics you mention, and final weights, details about the grow etc. Just one post per participant in the official scoring thread.

Mikelej14

Mikelej14

Might even makes sense to have 2 threads, one for discussion and ongoing pics, and one for final submissions, including those 3 pics you mention, and final weights, details about the grow etc. Just one post per participant in the official scoring thread.
So one on-going messy thread... And one thread with all that mess cleaned up. Who would dare to take on such a task? 🤔😊

R

redshift75

I think this Challenge needs a new thread started with the rules outlined in the first post.

Veg time from seed is 3 weeks, time starts when first true leaves appear.
Clone veg time is 1 week from the time of transplant.

No start time, it's based on an honor system of no cheating. Start when you can, and post results when its finished.

As for poking holes to make a smart cup, no shenanigans, that's allowed.
maybe 2 posts 1 where they should only be posts related to submissions and a discussion post which this already is. So we already have the 1 of 2 in the scenario. I hate when the submission threads on forums end up chalk full of useless content and not to the subject.(id like to try this and that for 4 pages) hard to control but typically its an individual integrity thing.

R

redshift75

I think to the rules we have to make it so to limit shenanigans. Write out a phrase on the cup that cant be duplicated. next thing you know got people running 15 cups and cherry picking..... lol

idk seems i have a terrible track record for these things. My history goes "follow the rules" the guy who didnt wins... so i typically opt out of these things. but to just compare solo cup grows is a fun experience and a reward in itself.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I think to the rules we have to make it so to limit shenanigans. Write out a phrase on the cup that cant be duplicated. next thing you know got people running 15 cups and cherry picking..... lol

idk seems i have a terrible track record for these things. My history goes "follow the rules" the guy who didnt wins... so i typically opt out of these things. but to just compare solo cup grows is a fun experience and a reward in itself.

I think it will be clear if people are cheating to those of us who know how plants grow in different systems.

We could take this to extremes trying to overthink it.

I'm not that competitive so I dont really care if some loser wants to chop a giant branch off of a huge plant and call it their solo cup plant. But I'll know... lol And so will they.

NairnM16

NairnM16

Do you flip straight from the first set of 5 leafs or can you veg as pleased?

FlintTownBrown

FlintTownBrown

I'm in. Newb grower here, just starting week 3 of 12/12 in my first grow. i have some 30:1 cbd seeds i've been wanting to start, but probably handicapping myself rolling with those. Think i'll try the black zombie instead.

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
Just planted my Diesel Drift. Lets do this! Lol will update once its ready for veg!
Oh look at this perfect start Mike let the fun begin I better go and find some Solo cups I’ll bet I find some at the party shop in town I hope they have 18 Oz ones is that the size we are shooting for .?

Mikelej14

Mikelej14

Oh look at this perfect start Mike let the fun begin I better go and find some Solo cups I’ll bet I find some at the party shop in town I hope they have 18 Oz ones is that the size we are shooting for .?
I just bought what 7-11 had since i live conveniently close to one Lol that's why i took a pic to show oz size and such... It looks same as the standard red party cup just some off brand shit idk im lazy and didnt want to drive 🤣 also currently freaked me the fuck out but this just happened! Someone tried running from cops and ended their high speed chase in my driveway! My girls sitting here like thats weird why arent the sirens moving... Minute goes by ok wtf is going on... Look outside and boom there 3 patrol cars and a pattywagon alll lit up outside and in the driveway and one guy getting hauled back in cuffs after trying to run lmao
Sorry completely unrelated but fucking crazy too lol just happened while i was writing this post so now its part of it lmao

20200515 172507
20200515 172502
20200515 172713
Top Bottom