Cali Legal!!! Wtf We Do Now

• Thread starter Cali clouds
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
UgrewWHAT

UgrewWHAT

^^^yup medical will be done. Get your best genetics and grow them to their genetic potential and let the market dictate where and how you grow. Quality sells itself. Fake ass growers will fall off and good growers will prevail..... I wish you good luck guys, it was inevitable.
My thoughts exactly. Get your hands on the very best genetics that you can find and become your own estate.

UgrewWHAT

UgrewWHAT

I have to say that I've been all through this thread and I'm certainly not in conflict with any of these views put forth by other fellow members on the farm. I admire @Blaze and his input, especially. He's quite educated and very well read, none-the-less involved.

What legalization means for me obviously might mean something different to someone else. For me personally... I've put a world of effort into acquiring the finest seeds that to me make up the right combination for an IBL that I can call my own. I know that a lot of people are seeing $$$Dollar$$$ signs and are looking to go into business. That's just not me.

No. Instead, I'm going to make my self into an island. The Island with product that you business folks will be so on the look-out for yet may never acquire. Lol! Because the only thing that I ever wanted in this life is to have the 'Finest by my own standard. Which... I still don't find too often. And for all of the right reasons: *The things that people sell to dispensaries are NOT what they keep for themselves. ;)

icanfarm

icanfarm

Just a thought .
As stated in a previous post we have a year to either bitch and complain or to figure out a way to defend ourselves from the corporate raiders . What about forming a growers association like the cattlemen did to protect there interest and lobby and defend themselves back in the old days . It could set standards I.e. If a growers a member then retailers know by which standards he or she farms by . It could possibly defend our position and or rights.
Just my thoughts one voice yelling may not be heard many voices yelling can not be ignored

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
I've done a few co-op grows and done very well other than having some people trying to over fertilize. They always end up using all my genetics and I end up not having nearly as much of a share of the work. Biggest problem was always finding trimmers because I always let my plants go longer than everyone else. When I go to harvest mine all the trimmers are hired and still working on everyone else's plants. By the time I get enough help it's a rush to complete harvest before it gets rained on. 100 lbs or so takes so very long to get trimmed by hand!

icanfarm

icanfarm

I've done a few co-op grows and done very well other than having some people trying to over fertilize. They always end up using all my genetics and I end up not having nearly as much of a share of the work. Biggest problem was always finding trimmers because I always let my plants go longer than everyone else. When I go to harvest mine all the trimmers are hired and still working on everyone else's plants. By the time I get enough help it's a rush to complete harvest before it gets rained on. 100 lbs or so takes so very long to get trimmed by hand!
The only part of the life I absolutely hate and that's trimming

The Terps

The Terps

Harvesting and trimming can be difficult on that scale. It used to take my crew of 10-12 ppl 20+ days to process 100lbs now it takes 1 day for 8 ppl to process 20-45 depending on strain. It's amazing how productive my new crew is

Neckup

Neckup

Just a thought .
As stated in a previous post we have a year to either bitch and complain or to figure out a way to defend ourselves from the corporate raiders . What about forming a growers association like the cattlemen did to protect there interest and lobby and defend themselves back in the old days . It could set standards I.e. If a growers a member then retailers know by which standards he or she farms by . It could possibly defend our position and or rights.
Just my thoughts one voice yelling may not be heard many voices yelling can not be ignored

Unfortunately we can't fight big money... the same is happening here in Australia with many cultivation companies being IPO'd on the stock exchange in order to secure the talent and then get the license. Look at the companies board of directors below and I bet the same caliber of sharks are on the Tilray and Canopy board of directors
http://www.auscann.com.au/

If I was in Cali I would
1) Start gathering the necessary information, such as
a) Security protocols already in place in states like Colorado or Canada (RFID Tagging, diversion, waste destruction etc)
b) Standard operating processes for Cultivation and Extraction
c) Integrated Pest Management plan

2) Get a Heads of Agreements with a price range per pound from a distributor/s or dispensaries

3) Assemble the dream team
a) Research alliances (Universities)
b) Facility and cultivation manager
c) Legal Counsel
d) Some finance corporate types (MBA, Ex company directors) (These will help your application, raising external capital and provide the necessary governance oversight)

4) Legal counsel to review the reg's and identify any other requirements in the new legislation

5) After you have a good idea of all the requirements, sit back and take a good hard look at if that's the game you want to play? Many people are not cut out for running a business especially one with huge amounts of compliance.

6) Financial modelling
a) setup costs (Capex)
b) running Costs (Opex)
c) revenue
d) taxation
e) profit

7) If it makes money great, If it has less than a 2 year pay back period you can probably find investors if they think you are a reliable person.

The amount of regulations and barriers to set up a medical cultivation company in australia is the same as setting up a pharmaceutical company with GMP facilities and (TGA) licensing or same as you guys getting a new drug onto the FDA prescribed medicines list... You guys have a huge opportunity with fuck all barriers to entry.

Seriously just take charge and put the work in!

Last edited:
UgrewWHAT

UgrewWHAT

Harvesting and trimming can be difficult on that scale. It used to take my crew of 10-12 ppl 20+ days to process 100lbs now it takes 1 day for 8 ppl to process 20-45 depending on strain. It's amazing how productive my new crew is
I am realizing that we now have "Production-specific" Guidelines within some enterprises.

I'm sorry. I'm just going to shove a cold rod into your eye with something that you obviously haven't a single clue about.... it's that it is NOT about production IF you give a scathing phuck about genuine quality.

Em, some of you $$$Dollar-Significant-Only$$$ minds can't seem to wrap your heads around is that this is an ART and one that requires Mastery.

So... Press-on with your mass production; Hire 30 to 300 people to trim your shit; depress your local food banks... and I could go on for every tax-payer-dollar-sucking-benefit that operations like yours defeat within single seasons for the sole purpose of doing whatever it is that you do.

*Mine... Will always be better than yours and unlike yours... will be sought-after.

Enjoy your $$$Millions$$$

Last edited:
The Terps

The Terps

Haha I seem to upset you for some reason and I'm definately not some million dollar grower lol I wish! My point was to mc about my experience with trimmers. The new crew which replaced my old crew is literally tenfold more productive. Nothing else changed same scissors same buckets same quality still no machine.

I don't know how you understood my post, but I think quality is far more important than quantity. However, I do know if (production isn't > than production cost = failed business's). so I do see an importance in yeild and do get some jollies when I hit good numbers. So take what you want from that, my point was not all trimmers are equal.

Keeping thread on track though I sold 200 lbs for a 1.25mil...just kidding I got 1100 for a half lb of sherbert in nor cal. Millionaire grower lol

The Terps

The Terps

For whatever reason @UgrewWHAT post has me perplexed this morning. In my grow room typically yeild and quality go hand in hand, when I get a good yeild, which I don't always achieve admittedly, then that means I did almost everything well that run. On the other end of the spectrum when I get lazy, forgetful,have equipment failures, or plant issues BOTH quality and quantity go down. Which I am never pleased with. Every year for the past 4 years I have gotten more serious about growing, I'm not saying I'm better however, as I've had ups and downs.

Having said all that, every time I start a new grow I strive to produce not only better herb but more also reguardless of quality or quantity. Now I don't see my approach as "not giving a scathing phuck about quality and only money". (I call it passion) I also don't see how quality of cannabis can related to employee counts, or how I effect my "local food bank and every tax payer dollar sucking benefit that operations like mine defeat in a single season to do whatever it is I do." (I'm a simple guy, I live to fly fish)

But to give you some perspective I have one part time, I call him a friend, you call him an "employee" assist me in some of the more time consuming tasks like transplanting, harvesting and cleaning. And I do have up to 8 trimmers for a day to trim like I already mentioned. So I don't understand why with the information you have, your bud will always be better than mine. and while that may be true, I fail to see why I don't stand a chance to produce a flower that will be sought after any less than you or any other member here. especially based on what seems to be the assumption I may grow more than you.

The Terps

The Terps

I thought this was the how much dispensaries are paying for a pound thread lol. That was what the whole price thing was. I highly doubt that whichever big money guy that comes in will focus on solely quantity everyone in the space knows that quality sales.
And I believe that they will be more than capable of producing excellent product. I think their problem will be in the strain selection and pheno hunting process as the public somewhat deems what's worth growing and what's not. It takes more time to swap strains on a large scale and that's my two cents on what could happen to big money growers.

MirrorZen

MirrorZen

I am realizing that we now have "Production-specific" Guidelines within some enterprises.

I'm sorry. I'm just going to shove a cold rod into your eye with something that you obviously haven't a single clue about.... it's that it is NOT about production IF you give a scathing phuck about genuine quality.

Em, some of you $$$Dollar-Significant-Only$$$ minds can't seem to wrap your heads around is that this is an ART and one that requires Mastery.

So... Press-on with your mass production; Hire 30 to 300 people to trim your shit; depress your local food banks... and I could go on for every tax-payer-dollar-sucking-benefit that operations like yours defeat within single seasons for the sole purpose of doing whatever it is that you do.

*Mine... Will always be better than yours and unlike yours... will be sought-after.

Enjoy your $$$Millions$$$
Someone shit in your cheerios this morning?

UgrewWHAT

UgrewWHAT

I do apologize. It's just that right now there seems to be this gold rush happening and I might've failed to mention that at least here in California there is a travesty taking place.

Please forgive me for over-reacting to what I had read. Governor Brown and a few others wrote our new MMJ regulations now MJ regulations that put smaller scale growers in a place where they can't compete with people needing 300 trimmers. See what I'm saying?

I didn't mean to come across as such an ass but if you see what I see happening here right now there are warehouses in the east SF bay popping up in 30K and 50K feet sizes and perhaps my discord with that is what instigated me taking a lunge.

I am clearly in the wrong for rubbing a few people the wrong way. And I'm not wrong at all for seeing quality as it is diminishing in lieu of those with deep pockets hiring consultants, advisors and accountants; Which, I might add is how your thread came off...

UgrewWHAT

UgrewWHAT

@MirrorZen and @The Terps ...My world is seeing a lot of lower quality pot happening that come January 1st, 2016, is going to have a rather hefty price tag(again, for mediocre weed). Namely because that's what Washington, Colorado and other recreationally legal states are still weeding through- no pun intended.

Here's my olive branch.

MirrorZen

MirrorZen

@MirrorZen and @The Terps ...My world is seeing a lot of lower quality pot happening that come January 1st, 2016, is going to have a rather hefty price tag(again, for mediocre weed). Namely because that's what Washington, Colorado and other recreationally legal states are still weeding through- no pun intended.

Here's my olive branch.
I understand, here in Oregon its a Shit show. Bans on "child friendly names", super regulated agro department, and Shit loads of people selling their garbage for cheap cheap because they haven't the slightest clue. Just had the money to do so. I don't even know what to do with my crops anymore, super regulated dispo market. It will be the Wild West when you guys first start, crazy flooded market with every man for himself. Lol

UgrewWHAT

UgrewWHAT

I understand, here in Oregon its a Shit show. Bans on "child friendly names", super regulated agro department, and Shit loads of people selling their garbage for cheap cheap because they haven't the slightest clue. Just had the money to do so. I don't even know what to do with my crops anymore, super regulated dispo market. It will be the Wild West when you guys first start, crazy flooded market with every man for himself. Lol
This is exactly my point.

And again @The Terps I'm sorry for how I came across and this directly relates to what dispensaries pay for a pound. Dispensaries, at least here in NorCal won't pay out more than $2000 if not max at $1800, and have taken on an almost "country club" approach to who they'll work with when purchasing.

Mediocre quality becomes top shelf. We've got a party right around the corner who don't pay out more than $1800 so their market almost excludes genuine top shelf from coming in. I mean that was my poorly worded argument from the get-go.

The Terps

The Terps

Hey I and most of us here didn't vote for that bill that's the whole point of this thread. But I wouldn't call it a travesty. I would call it evolution. I agree this evolution isn't putting us in a place to compete but reguardless it's going to happen. And some places will produce the garbage you speak of we have all seen but be honest with yourselves also, if you haven't grown something you weren't impressed with I don't think you've been around the block yet so to speak. But other places will I have to say "most likely" succeed in producing high quality cannabis on a large scale.
I mean this isn't unique to cannabis this happened to the entire ag industry the tobacco and alcohol industry, mineral mining, ect. We live in an industrial era.

But alcohol is the best example,you know the story prohibition to Budweiser and now craft beer. Look at craft beer we call it craft cause it's a better recipe with better ingredients than the competition, I have family in craft breweries one used to be equipment manager for Ballast Point, look at stone, Sierra Nevada, your local craft of choice. Now chances are if they are anything like the ones I mentioned they are Million Dollar 1000's of sqft warehouses just like the warehouse groweries you describe. These craft guys aren't considered big money we save that for Bud and Coors. But like in all industries once one of these craft places "makes it" like ballast point they get offers from the real big money that the cannabis industry hasn't seen yet. But ballast made a successful operation and was bought out... I had the before and after test same great taste same staff same everything but one guy got a check and now corporate has another trickle of a few million a year.

Success rises to the top and all these breweries compete in their target price points. Cannabis will imo look similar to that. Eventually their will be a couple of bud and Coors, it's not the best but for the price it'll meet demand. And then you will have craft guys while maybe not on the sheer scale of Coors will produce a great quality flower that most of the general public will enjoy. Just like I enjoy some beers and dislike others. I have done home brewing once and like cannabis it's both art and science but I still wouldn't say the best home brewers aren't better than the best craft brewers or visa versa.

The point we all get it, the sales are tipping and.... money money money money. And I don't like it personally as it effects my current livelihood,but it's a proven model and... money money money money

Last edited:
Top Bottom