CannaGranny’s Corner a Thread for General BS and Good Will

• Thread starter CannaGranny
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tremojem

Tremojem

We had some bad thunderstorms last night.

Lost power early this morning and it was resolved in a couple hours. So, I started generator.

Now we are looking at Sunny skies and maybe 70 degrees with moderate wind.

Then another front of heavy storms are expected this early evening, to be followed by freezing overnight temperatures and snow.

Then back to 50/60s for Monday.

I started with a pull start generator in the 90s, then upgraded to battery start generator about 20 years later.

Now...time to invest in automation with focus on safety, security, efficacy and reliability.

I'm too old and beat up for this shit...LOL!!!

Yikes

CannaGranny

CannaGranny

@PipeCarver I swear it looks like MacGyver has been in your tents! My Hubby has been great considering I took over a spare bedroom and bathroom upstairs. Growing upstairs with an auto water system of any sort is just a big fat no for me. I can see it now, water dripping down the ceiling fans! I know, I know my luck! That’s why I don’t ponder such. Imma eventually build a green house tho, and then look out! Imma do all kinds of crazy automatics with water there! Yup imma get my H20 on!
So from what I can see, it seems you fill the five gallon and it feeds to individual plants?

Did you see my new watering system for plants at the back of my tent?
img_4771-jpg.1345998

img_4769-jpg.1345997

img_4768-jpg.1345996

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
Glad everyone's pets and roots and shrooms are ok...... ;). Except for the skunk. I read that they're even better mousers than cats. Here's a couple of moon shots my wife took. It the trees (or other backgrounds) that make it, otherwise it's usually a picture of a glowing white splotch.......I told her if she went outside and didn't get the window frames in the pictures they'd be even better, but who wants to go outside in the middle of the night to take pictures....? Well, shroom people maybe... ;)

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
@PipeCarver I swear it looks like MacGyver has been in your tents! My Hubby has been great considering I took over a spare bedroom and bathroom upstairs. Growing upstairs with an auto water system of any sort is just a big fat no for me. I can see it now, water dripping down the ceiling fans! I know, I know my luck! That’s why I don’t ponder such. Imma eventually build a green house tho, and then look out! Imma do all kinds of crazy automatics with water there! Yup imma get my H20 on!
So from what I can see, it seems you fill the five gallon and it feeds to individual plants?
Yes, each plant gets 1 gal & there are 4 valves on the splitter I've given it a test run and it seems to work fine. I can adjust the flow so I don't over flow it.

I was worried about cutting a hole in the tent and I was looking around my shop for inspiration and I saw a roll of 4" wide Gorilla tape, it works great. it bonds 100% on the inside and the outside sticks well but could be pealed off.

I don't want the cut to run. So I cut a 2" hole in 2 - 4" pieces stuck them on the tent on either side and I cut an X then passed the tubes through.

It still cost me about $100 Cdn for parts so I hope its not just another one of those that get tossed in the corner and pilfered for parts....alla my bubbler

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

Yes, each plant gets 1 gal & there are 4 valves on the splitter I've given it a test run and it seems to work fine. I can adjust the flow so I don't over flow it.

I was worried about cutting a hole in the tent and I was looking around my shop for inspiration and I saw a roll of 4" wide Gorilla tape, it works great. it bonds 100% on the inside and the outside sticks well but could be pealed off.

I don't want the cut to run. So I cut a 2" hole in 2 - 4" pieces stuck them on the tent on either side and I cut an X then passed the tubes through.

It still cost me about $100 Cdn for parts so I hope its not just another one of those that get tossed in the corner and pilfered for parts....alla my bubbler
Pretty much what I did but just with 1/4" drip line and rain rings. I didn't cut any holes in my tent. Just ran the 1/2" main line through one of the zippered openings.

Auto irrigate

Last edited:
CannaGranny

CannaGranny

Glad everyone's pets and roots and shrooms are ok...... ;). Except for the skunk. I read that they're even better mousers than cats. Here's a couple of moon shots my wife took. It the trees (or other backgrounds) that make it, otherwise it's usually a picture of a glowing white splotch.......I told her if she went outside and didn't get the window frames in the pictures they'd be even better, but who wants to go outside in the middle of the night to take pictures....? Well, shroom people maybe... ;)
Ummmmm, no pics attached 🙂 What are you smokin??? 😂

Tremojem

Tremojem

I actually have given thought to this method of auto watering.

Curious if anyone in this conversation had previously posted a thread describing in detail, the how's and whats.

So much on-line about this, along with supporting information on equipment and methods, for example "Build a Soil".

But would love to see whom in this community has had success and how...just more useful data for a newbie like me, with only four grows under my belt.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Pretty much what I did but just with 1/4" drip line and rain rings. I didn't cut any holes in my tent. Just ran the 1/2" main line through one of the zippered openings.

View attachment 1346619
Nice, with a pump too, I'm wondering about baffles at the hose end to spread the water out from the base a bit, I have a bit of a slope and the front gets lots of water while the back of the pots are dry ish...I'd like it to shower the water in the pots rather than stream ......any ideas?

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

Nice, with a pump too, I'm wondering about baffles at the hose end to spread the water out from the base a bit, I have a bit of a slope and the front gets lots of water while the back of the pots are dry ish...I'd like it to shower the water in the pots rather than stream ......any ideas?
Funny you should mention that.... 😄

I've been thinking about DIYing a drip plate like they use with rockwool blocks. I was thinking a serving dish like one that has a raised compartment in the middle for your dip. You could cut the middle part and drill holes around the edge of the plate with holes progressively getting smaller towards the center so that the edges get a good watering. I made a crude watering ring that works although I like the plate idea because I can just dump a quart of water in the plate and it'll evenly water the soil.

They have water rings already made. Gro Tech makes a nice one.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Funny you should mention that.... 😄

I've been thinking about DIYing a drip plate like they use with rockwool blocks. I was thinking a serving dish like one that has a raised compartment in the middle for your dip. You could cut the middle part and drill holes around the edge of the plate with holes progressively getting smaller towards the center so that the edges get a good watering. I made a crude watering ring that works although I like the plate idea because I can just dump a quart of water in the plate and it'll evenly water the soil.

They have water rings already made. Gro Tech makes a nice one.
Ya, I just amzoned watering ring, upside down they'd work okay but thinking of that Dollar store has soaker hoses $1.99 - 10 ft hose 4 of those will work too...I'll buy one and test it out

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

Ya, I just amzoned watering ring, upside down they'd work okay but thinking of that Dollar store has soaker hoses $1.99 - 10 ft hose 4 of those will work too...I'll buy one and test it outView attachment 1346666
I'm kind of liking these as they can be added once the plant is growing whereas the one you posted would have to be installed prior to the plant getting to big for the ring to fit through it....and they're cheaper!!!

Last edited:
Tremojem

Tremojem

There are so many drip rings out there on Google. But, there was one in particular that I can't seem to find.

I'll keep looking and post link.

It was black, and had two or three integrated rings, rather than one single ring. It is intended to be placed on plants main stem using an opening provided on the end opposite the feed port. But, should your plants main stem exceed the size of this opening, you would have to wait until harvest to remove it.

It seemed to provide a more even coverage in comparison to a single ring.

My thoughts on this are the following, regarding an auto drip system for watering your plants. These are both questions and observations from my inexperience and presence on this forum and other internet sources. So take everything as a thought and not a statement of fact.

1) I would like to use gravity feed, with a timed feeding schedule that dictates both on/off duration and cycles per the "light on" schedule, based on plants needs during that specific time in its grow cycle and substrate used, so it would need to be flexible and easy to program or control.

2) I would need to regularly agitate water in reservoir, but not sure why its necessary. So I pose this question to the community. A simple pump and air stone will accomplish this, in concert with another controller device. But, this raises the question regarding your feeding schedule and method. Additionally, what substrate is being used. In the case of Coco, it would require regular feeding. But if using a living soil, you would only require straight water, or maybe a hybrid soil that might require some very infrequent top dress to feed. Many things to consider here.

3) I have read online that many people mix their nutrients in the reservoir tank, and assume the nutrients are made for this, and are anti foaming and PH neutral or something like that. I have no idea and am confused by this, as there is an order of operations to mixing nutrients as I have read online, and I have read that sitting water will rise in PH, but how that works with nutrients mixed in and agitation is beyond me.

4) Some of the reading I did revealed that auto watering systems are not exclusive to top applications or to say, applied to the top of the substrate, but also include bottom watering and feeding. More to consider here, especially if you understand the perched water table, as explained by Aqua-Man.

There is so much more to consider for me, a guy who is just learning and has purchased and read in their entirety, many popular books on growing Cannibas, and have spent countless hours researching online and watching videos and reading grow diaries and on and on and on. With just four grows under my belt, I can say without reservation, that they are the lessons in themselves. That is to say, I can read and watch and discuss all I want, but combine that with actually growing, and I will learn much more and much faster, or I will simply give up. I have no intention on giving up. So far I have been successful and am happy for that. Sometimes I need to remind myself that baby steps are best.

So again, these are my thoughts about auto watering and they are just merely questions and observations combined. Take it as that and not a statement of facts, cuz I really don't know.

I really do dig this CG thread and the regulars that keep it going. Its like when I was part of the workforce, as I am now retired, and I got to see my friends at work and shoot the shit about anything and everything, except now I do it here and don't have to fake the corporate management bullshit, fit into a box crap.

Really dig you all, and this community.

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

There are so many drip rings out there on Google. But, there was one in particular that I can't seem to find.

I'll keep looking and post link.

It was black, and had two or three integrated rings, rather than one single ring. It is intended to be placed on plants main stem using an opening provided on the end opposite the feed port. But, should your plants main stem exceed the size of this opening, you would have to wait until harvest to remove it.

It seemed to provide a more even coverage in comparison to a single ring.

I just saw those last night when I was looking at some of the watering ring offerings out their. Grotek makes it but I can't seem to find them and when I try and go directly to their site I get a 404 error warning. I was contemplating those but I want something that waters farther out towards the edge of the pot as well not just over the root ball.

I'm using 7 gal pots that measure approximately 14" across. A 9" ring would be perfect. The one I posted is the leading candidate for now. I'll continue looking but I did like the ones you posted about.

1) I would like to use gravity feed, with a timed feeding schedule that dictates both on/off duration and cycles per the "light on" schedule, based on plants needs during that specific time in its grow cycle and substrate used, so it would need to be flexible and easy to program or control.
Why gravity feed? You run the risk of the reservoir leaking the solution out if one of your hoses or connections to the bottom of the reservoir springs a leak whereas a pumped reservoir doesn't have that problem. Everything you want to do can be done with a pump and you remove the risk of a reservoir leak.

2) I would need to regularly agitate water in reservoir, but not sure why its necessary. So I pose this question to the community. A simple pump and air stone will accomplish this, in concert with another controller device. But, this raises the question regarding your feeding schedule and method. Additionally, what substrate is being used. In the case of Coco, it would require regular feeding. But if using a living soil, you would only require straight water, or maybe a hybrid soil that might require some very infrequent top dress to feed. Many things to consider here.
Not really. The only agitation the air stone gives is the bubbles that are heading to the surface. Anything not in the path of the bubbles will sink to the bottom of the reservoir. A pump will work but I find aquarium powerheads work much better. You want to agitate for 2 reasons. To keep the organic matter in the solution well mixed so that when the pump turns on it's not just sucking the organic matter that accumulates at the bottom if you don't agitate the mix and to keep the water moving for better oxygen absorption.

If you're doing clear water feeds then you only need an airstone to oxygenate the water.

3) I have read online that many people mix their nutrients in the reservoir tank, and assume the nutrients are made for this, and are anti foaming and PH neutral or something like that. I have no idea and am confused by this, as there is an order of operations to mixing nutrients as I have read online, and I have read that sitting water will rise in PH, but how that works with nutrients mixed in and agitation is beyond me.
I mix mine in the reservoir. I've never mixed my nutes in any particular order nor do I stick to just one line of nutrients so they're all from different manufacturers. Never had a reaction problem.

Water changes pH because it changes temperature when you let it sit and sitting gives it time to off gas certain things that are in the water.
4) Some of the reading I did revealed that auto watering systems are not exclusive to top applications or to say, applied to the top of the substrate, but also include bottom watering and feeding. More to consider here, especially if you understand the perched water table, as explained by Aqua-Man.
Flood and Drain style comes to mind as far as bottom watering. I like to bottom water my solo cup clones and sprouts.

I've run many F & D grows. I like to use this method when I have high ceilings so that I can place the reservoir under the flood table and I still have headroom for the plants.

Tremojem

Tremojem

Found this.

Not what I mentioned earlier but could work I guess, if you hooked up all three.

Tremojem

Tremojem

Thanks for your information RootsRuler, very much appreciated.

I thought gravity would be simpler. But it makes sense now. I agree with your statement regarding leaks.

I have a better understanding of why to mix/agitate. Its to keep all things equal when water is dispensed.

PH changes make sense now. I have a sealed RO system with a 10 gallon capacity. It makes sense now that not allowing it to off gas would help it to maintain its PH. But if I take a gallon to the tent but don't use it, and cover it until the next day, it off gases, as you say, and there is a slight rise in PH.

I'll keep looking for the ring I mentioned earlier, but not sure it is 9" in diameter.

The Halo is maxed out at 8 inches.

There are perforated tubing available I believe. You could customize your own ring. There are also some fittings that are sized for a rate of flow, and that is customizable as well. I believe "Build a Soil" did a video on that customizable system. All fittings were available at local gardening stores and online.

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

This is more in line as to what I'm looking for...

What I'm looking for is something I can use to hand feed without having to wait for the water to soak into the soil. I can dump a quart of solution into the dish and the holes will meter it out where I want it.

The rings are for when I have to leave and turn on the auto irrigate. I have some DIY rings that work fine but I have to install them prior to the plant getting too big to get a ring around it. The ones with a space to pass the trunk through are what I'm looking for in that aspect.

@Tremojem - These are what you're talking about right?

Growtek watering ring

Last edited:
Tremojem

Tremojem

Damn, I just did a deep dive and still can't find that ring. It sucks too cuz it was my favorite of all the ones I saw online. I'll look again tomorrow and try to find that pic of the Murder Hornet (unrelated).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom