Dark Purple Disease Affecting New Growth?

• Thread starter browntrout
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
DTG

DTG

Hi...
I have a purple thing going on with my grow. 2 of 4 plats have been purple from the day they came out of the germination chamber. Very strange looking. They are now 3 feet tall compared to their sisters @ over 6 feet and have dark purple main stems and leaf stems also & very dark green leaves. The leaves also have very strange rough type texture to them. They also had a few pre-flowers and have still yet to begin flowering, almost as if they have started to veg again. They seem to be healthy except for their size compared to their sisters. The sisters are in full on flower now, but these 2 seem to be dragging their butts & I am beginning to wonder if I am going to get a harvest from these 2. The strains, I was told are, Durban & Northern Lights. But the seeds were a gift from someone who does not indulge in the cannabis culture so genetics are questionable at best right now.
I don't have a decent camera so I can't post any pics right now but I will see if I can find a photographer to help me to post a couple pics at some point. Oh BTW the 2 purple plants are 1 Durban & 1 Northern Lights.
The other 2 plants are doing very well,lovely dark green, tall & bushy. All plants are in the same compost soil with the same fertilizers, plus the 2 purple ones have had the purple main stem since birth so I don't see the ferts or PH causing this. Perhaps the Strains are not what I was told & are some sort of purple strain. I have no idea, I have not seen anything like this before. Also they are all in 20 gal/pots in full sun about 11 1/2 hrs per day at this point. I have taken a couple clones to try to save this plant just in case it is kick ass cannabis. Maybe some one could shed some light on this for me, I just hope they flower soon & I get something out of them... Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Grow Big or Grow Home.

Don.

xavier7995

xavier7995

I have had a similar issue. It is a different sort of purpling than what purple weed does. Never isolated the issue. My soil mix didnt drain well enough and i think i went too heavy on dolomite lime. I had cold temps ta boot. The plant barely drank any water, compounding issues by staying wet for extended periods.

B

browntrout

I have had a similar issue. It is a different sort of purpling than what purple weed does. Never isolated the issue. My soil mix didnt drain well enough and i think i went too heavy on dolomite lime. I had cold temps ta boot. The plant barely drank any water, compounding issues by staying wet for extended periods.

I had a reasonably dry and hot year for the most part, certainly hotter than most.

I did use quite a bit of dolomitic lime, I’m not positive it could directly cause the issue but it’s possible it could have a butterfly effect.

Jmaes Mabley

Jmaes Mabley

Im leaning more and more towards the Phytoplasma.

Leafhoppers can carry it.

Ive been reading Phytoplasmas were first found in cannabis in India, as far back as 1967/68, and was predicted to spread worldwide.

There are also different types, and the leaves ect, can cause various colors/degrees, from yellowing to death/necrotic.

Its so hard on weed because it lasts only 1 season. Elm is also susceptible, as are some other plants. Sugarcane being another

Its still being found in India, Iran,

Identification of Cannabis sativa L. ssp. sativa as putative alternate host of sesame phyllody phytoplasma belongs to 16Sr I group in India

Characterization of Stolbur (16SrXII) Group Phytoplasmas Associated with Cannabis sativa Witches'-broom Disease in Iran

I dentification of Cannabis sativa L .î‚ ssp.î‚  sativa as
putative alternate host of sesame phyllody phytoplasma
belongs to 16Sr I group in India
Sajad un Nabi
, Madhup iya
, Durgesh Dubey
and G.P. Rao
Division of Plant Pathology, Indian Agricultural Research Institute, New Delhi, India
Department of Botany, DDU Gorakhpur University, Gorakhpur - 273009, UP, India
ABSTRACT
Little leaf and witches’-broom symptoms on Cannabis sativa L.ssp. sativa plants were recorded i n sesame
phyllody infected fields at Kushinagar district of eastern Uttar Pradesh, India in September 2013. The DNA
extracted f rom symptomatic Cannabis sativa L.î‚ ssp.î‚  sativa (CSS) plants yielded amplicons of 1.25 kb in nested
PCR assays with R16F2/R2n primer pair. BLASTn comparison and phylogenetic analysis of 16Sr DNA phytoplasma
sequence of CSS phytoplasma isolate revealed association of ‘Ca. Phytoplasma asteris’ (16Sr I group) with
symptomatic cannabis plants. Our results suggest that CSS may play an important role in perpetuation of sesame
phyllody phytoplasma in nature. [Medicinal Plants 2015; 7(1) : 68-70]
Keywords : Hemp, PCR assay, phylogeny analysis, 16Sr I group, putative alternate host
Phytoplasmas are gaining international importance
because of unspecific symptoms, serious losses and
diverse epidemiology throughout the world. Medicinal
plants constitute a group of industrially important crops
which are of great value for domestic use and export.
Phytoplasma cause diseases in several medicinal plant
species (Rao et al., 2011; Marcone, 2011). I n India,
five different groups of phytoplasma (16SrI ,16SrIV,
16SrV, 16SrVI and 16SrXIV ) were reported on medicinal
plants, viz., Cannabis sativa, Santalum album, Withania
somnifera, Portulaca grandiflora, Catharanthus roseus,
Calotropis gigantea, Datura stramonium, Cymbopogan
citratus and Tylophora asthmatica (Rao et al., 2011;
Singh et al., 2012; Madhupriya et al., 2014; Chaube
et al., 2014).
The plant species Cannabis, known as Indian hemp,
is an annual herb of the family Cannabinaceae. It has
Shor t Communication
Corresponding author : G.P. Rao
e-mail : [email protected]
Received: January 18, 2015; Accepted: February 25, 2015
doi: 10.5958/0975-6892.2015.00010.6
been used by humans throughout recorded history f or
its food, fiber and medicine. It is a native to Central
Asia, and cultivated in As a, Europe and China. The
medicinal value of Cannabis includes intoxicant,
analgesic, narcotic, stomachic, antispasmodic, anodyne,
sedative etc. (Kuddus et al., 2013). C. sativa L.î‚ ssp.
sativa grow quite common as a weed in northern India.
Li tle leaf and witches’- broom symptoms were
observed on C. sativa L.î‚ ssp.î‚  sativa (CSS) plants in
sesame fields showing little leaf and witches’ broom
symptoms at Kushinagar di strict of eastern Uttar
Pradesh, India in 2013 (Fig. 1). DNA from symptomatic
and non-symptomatic leaf tissues of the CSS was
extracted following a described procedure (Ahrens and
Seemuller, 1992). Amplification on of phytoplasma
ribosomal DNA (rDNA) was performed with the
universal phytoplasma primer pairs P1/P7 (Deng and
Hiruki, 1991; Schneider et al., 1995) and nested primer
pair R16F2n/R16R2 (Gundersen and Lee, 1996). The
DNA extracted f rom periwinkle infected with toria
phyllody phytoplasma (group 16SrIX group, Azadvar
et al., 2009) and maintained in greenhouse was used as
positive control. The DNA extracted from asymptomatic
CSS plant tissues was used as negateve control.

(PDF) Identification of Cannabis sativa L. ssp. sativa as putative alternate host of sesame phyllody phytoplasma belongs to 16Sr I group in India. Available from: https://www.researchgate.net/public..._phytoplasma_belongs_to_16Sr_I_group_in_India [accessed Aug 23 2018].

Last edited:
B

browntrout

Im leaning more and more towards the Phytoplasma.

Leafhoppers can carry it.

Can you elaborate a bit more James? What would be the issue in the phytoplasma? Is there purple discolouration on other species of plants that could corroborate this?

B

browntrout

Also I found this when researching phytoplasmas in cannabis.

Anyone have a copy? Lol
Upload 2018 8 23 20 21 8

Jmaes Mabley

Jmaes Mabley

Gonna have to buy that book soon. That looks like whats up on the front page of that book.

Anyone know who DA Watson is? I do.

Ive been reading Phytoplasmas were first found in cannabis in India, as far back as 1967/68, and was predicted to spread worldwide.

There are also different types, and the leaves ect, can cause various colors/degrees, from yellowing to death/necrotic.

Its so hard on weed because it lasts only 1 season. Elm is also susceptible, as are some other plants. Sugarcane being another

Its still being found in India, Iran,

Identification of Cannabis sativa L. ssp. sativa as putative alternate host of sesame phyllody phytoplasma belongs to 16Sr I group in India

Characterization of Stolbur (16SrXII) Group Phytoplasmas Associated with Cannabis sativa Witches'-broom Disease in Iran

I dentification of Cannabis sativa L .î‚ ssp.î‚  sativa as
putative alternate host of sesame phyllody phytoplasma
belongs to 16Sr I group in India
Sajad un Nabi
, Madhup iya
, Durgesh Dubey
and G.P. Rao
Division of Plant Pathology, Indian Agricultural Research Institute, New Delhi, India
Department of Botany, DDU Gorakhpur University, Gorakhpur - 273009, UP, India
ABSTRACT
Little leaf and witches’-broom symptoms on Cannabis sativa L.ssp. sativa plants were recorded i n sesame
phyllody infected fields at Kushinagar district of eastern Uttar Pradesh, India in September 2013. The DNA
extracted f rom symptomatic Cannabis sativa L.î‚ ssp.î‚  sativa (CSS) plants yielded amplicons of 1.25 kb in nested
PCR assays with R16F2/R2n primer pair. BLASTn comparison and phylogenetic analysis of 16Sr DNA phytoplasma
sequence of CSS phytoplasma isolate revealed association of ‘Ca. Phytoplasma asteris’ (16Sr I group) with
symptomatic cannabis plants. Our results suggest that CSS may play an important role in perpetuation of sesame
phyllody phytoplasma in nature. [Medicinal Plants 2015; 7(1) : 68-70]
Keywords : Hemp, PCR assay, phylogeny analysis, 16Sr I group, putative alternate host
Phytoplasmas are gaining international importance
because of unspecific symptoms, serious losses and
diverse epidemiology throughout the world. Medicinal
plants constitute a group of industrially important crops
which are of great value for domestic use and export.
Phytoplasma cause diseases in several medicinal plant
species (Rao et al., 2011; Marcone, 2011). I n India,
five different groups of phytoplasma (16SrI ,16SrIV,
16SrV, 16SrVI and 16SrXIV ) were reported on medicinal
plants, viz., Cannabis sativa, Santalum album, Withania
somnifera, Portulaca grandiflora, Catharanthus roseus,
Calotropis gigantea, Datura stramonium, Cymbopogan
citratus and Tylophora asthmatica (Rao et al., 2011;
Singh et al., 2012; Madhupriya et al., 2014; Chaube
et al., 2014).
The plant species Cannabis, known as Indian hemp,
is an annual herb of the family Cannabinaceae. It has
Shor t Communication
Corresponding author : G.P. Rao
e-mail : [email protected]
Received: January 18, 2015; Accepted: February 25, 2015
doi: 10.5958/0975-6892.2015.00010.6
been used by humans throughout recorded history f or
its food, fiber and medicine. It is a native to Central
Asia, and cultivated in As a, Europe and China. The
medicinal value of Cannabis includes intoxicant,
analgesic, narcotic, stomachic, antispasmodic, anodyne,
sedative etc. (Kuddus et al., 2013). C. sativa L.î‚ ssp.
sativa grow quite common as a weed in northern India.
Li tle leaf and witches’- broom symptoms were
observed on C. sativa L.î‚ ssp.î‚  sativa (CSS) plants in
sesame fields showing little leaf and witches’ broom
symptoms at Kushinagar di strict of eastern Uttar
Pradesh, India in 2013 (Fig. 1). DNA from symptomatic
and non-symptomatic leaf tissues of the CSS was
extracted following a described procedure (Ahrens and
Seemuller, 1992). Amplification on of phytoplasma
ribosomal DNA (rDNA) was performed with the
universal phytoplasma primer pairs P1/P7 (Deng and
Hiruki, 1991; Schneider et al., 1995) and nested primer
pair R16F2n/R16R2 (Gundersen and Lee, 1996). The
DNA extracted f rom periwinkle infected with toria
phyllody phytoplasma (group 16SrIX group, Azadvar
et al., 2009) and maintained in greenhouse was used as
positive control. The DNA extracted from asymptomatic
CSS plant tissues was used as negateve control.

(PDF) Identification of Cannabis sativa L. ssp. sativa as putative alternate host of sesame phyllody phytoplasma belongs to 16Sr I group in India. Available from: https://www.researchgate.net/public..._phytoplasma_belongs_to_16Sr_I_group_in_India [accessed Aug 23 2018].

B

browntrout

to those that are interested, the addition of oyster shell meal, 6-12-12 buffered time release and fish bone meal have certainly helped green the plants up. A lot of them are growing through the purple and coming back green and healthy in bud, more so on the tops where the newest growth is.

File1 8
File 8
File2
Jmaes Mabley

Jmaes Mabley

to those that are interested, the addition of oyster shell meal, 6-12-12 buffered time release and fish bone meal have certainly helped green the plants up. A lot of them are growing through the purple and coming back green and healthy in bud, more so on the tops where the newest growth is.

Some of my buddies are doing the same thing, and we also gave them a good feeding, and have made sure the feedings have been regular.

I gave my friends some.
19-19-19... Farm Type Agricultural Fertilizer
0-0-60
Epsom Salts

Light feedings of 4-20-39
15.5-0-0
Epsom Salts.

IMHO it could be a fungus, along with the plants being nutrient deficient, thus mucking with the immune system. Though this all guessing on my part.
Some though, haven't come back.

TerpyTyrone

TerpyTyrone

Some of my buddies are doing the same thing, and we also gave them a good feeding, and have made sure the feedings have been regular.

I gave my friends some.
19-19-19... Farm Type Agricultural Fertilizer
0-0-60
Epsom Salts

Light feedings of 4-20-39
15.5-0-0
Epsom Salts.

IMHO it could be a fungus, along with the plants being nutrient deficient, thus mucking with the immune system. Though this all guessing on my part.
Some though, haven't come back.
R.i.p. ladies.
I'm interrsted in this thread because it has happened to my brother, more than once.
Outside in the northeast, I hope this all works out for ya. My father and I both use it for chronic pain. Did u try a foliar silica spray?

B

browntrout

R.i.p. ladies.
I'm interrsted in this thread because it has happened to my brother, more than once.
Outside in the northeast, I hope this all works out for ya. My father and I both use it for chronic pain. Did u try a foliar silica spray?

Yes Potassium silicate (Gro-Tek - Pro Silicate). Some of my potted plants got it. I think it is an issue of phos lockout due to temperature swing, that's my best guess. Lots of local growers having the same issue due to sustained high daytime temps. It's not fungus.

bicky studs

bicky studs

sup.
had some simillar tarded dark growth goin on fkn round with my fnd in veg:eyepiece:
i came to the conclusion it was wet feet.....cool roots and not enough oxygen to the root mass aggrivating the...def of some sort. i couldnt reverse the problem but flowered em out and havent seen it since,...same strains too:badboy:
my ph etc is always on point

C

CanuckBass

I've got the same purpling on a couple stavias. They have been doing this from seed and only on a couple branches of each plant. When new leaves were formed they came out purple/black but as the new leaf grew the color grew out of it and it stayed green. On that branch always each new node/leaf had the black then turned green as the leaf grew.
Here's a picture of the branch

20180927 184120
bicky studs

bicky studs

I've got the same purpling on a couple stavias. They have been doing this from seed and only on a couple branches of each plant. When new leaves were formed they came out purple/black but as the new leaf grew the color grew out of it and it stayed green. On that branch always each new node/leaf had the black then turned green as the leaf grew.
Here's a picture of the branch
i notice ur stalks are super purple too... so hows ur drainage.... temps?

C

CanuckBass

They are in the ground and no drainage problem. The stalks have been purple since seed. All 4 sides of container are cut out. Original soil was pro mix and when I finally dropped them in the ground it was with 5 bags sheep manure for each plant. This is a first time grow and the seeds came from Jamaica from a buddies vacation. They were just bagseed

20180927 183852 HDR
B

browntrout

Just thought I'd update with some recent findings: I pulled some seeded plants indoors from outdoors to reveg, after succesfully revegging with only slight signs of purpling on new growth. I noticed a seedling that was growing from the fresh pro-mix around the re-potted and revegging mother plant, I let it grow for a bit and it started to get a little purple coloration as and went away as it got older. Now I've also noticed slight amounts on a small seedlings in different pots under 1000W light.

I am not concerned at this point. Basically the only thing I can think of are pathogen/disease related and nutrient issue, as the only common factor is proximity to previously affected plants and the use of 4-4-4 All Purpose dry soil amendment by Gaia Green WHich includes:

Alfalfa meal, bone meal, blood meal, glacial rock dust, mined potassium sulphate, fossilized carbon complex, rock phosphate, greensand, kelp meal, gypsum.

Jmaes Mabley

Jmaes Mabley

YEP!!!!! My buddy also has some that are already doing it too.

Jmaes Mabley

Jmaes Mabley

It doesn't happen when we grow the same cuts from the same mother INSIDE. NEVER. 60%+ or more of the time outside this is happening.
Happens to 7 different strains. In multiple locations from my end. This is happening all over USA. Im certain it is a Phytoplasmas, and is bacterial, and it probably coming from insects.

Top Bottom