Dark Purple Disease Affecting New Growth?

• Thread starter browntrout
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Gas

Gas

You guys....
Learn about banker plants and breeding high populations of predators using honey. Banker plants critical to harboring breeding populations of predators.
California sweet pepper is an awesome companion and banker plant for predators in a flowering cycle,,..and you get fucking peppers!

You need 3 species of predator mites..
Andersoni
Cucumerous
Swirski

Each targets specifically eggs,larvae and adults.

The end..
Gas

ps..barter weekend at SOS..wudd up!

makharold

makharold

SUP, from Durban South Africa ...... got the same ass problem ,chopped all purple tops and sprayed with a fungicide ,(lets see what happens) also leaning towards fungi spread by insects as this problem seems to have only aroused in spring /summer.(bug season) have a white widow 2 years old outdoor no purple , took 20 clones put them out door and 2 got this problem non of the rest and still not the mother

Bobrown14

Bobrown14

Anyone try Bacillus subtilis active ingredient in Serenade and others.??

I got what I think was anthracnose from infected Sycamore trees in my neighborhood. I've used this with some success.

Flint_Fredstone

Flint_Fredstone

I think I have solved it. The purple on new growth, the loss of plants, etc. etc. is due to --- Overwatering coupled with Root Rot. This explains everything as the plant don't use any nutes at this point, stops growing, and eventually dies. Look for stagnate water pooling near the roots, a plant growing in a container that don't drain well or drain completely. I think draining completely and letting the roots "dry out a little before watering" is key here in this situation.

Outdoor grows that are not in pots can still get this if watered too frequently, or just has the fungus in the growing medium which would explain why certain people have it year after year if they use the same location every time or same compost.

Why don't it happen in hydroponics indoors? Because the roots are visible and its easy to find information on when you search for "slimly brown twisted roots." The problem is caught early on and the plant don't have a chance to exhibit advanced stages of this fungus.

I have had Root Rot before and mine didn't look like this.---- Simple overwatering can affect your plants in many, many different ways. Depending on which element the plant runs out of first, the plant could do anything depending on PH, Source and content of the water and other environmental factors. This coupled with the thousands of strains of fungus that cause Root Rot, and bingo, a sick plant with strange problems.

I'm not a botanist though.

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
I think I have solved it. The purple on new growth, the loss of plants, etc. etc. is due to --- Overwatering coupled with Root Rot. This explains everything as the plant don't use any nutes at this point, stops growing, and eventually dies. Look for stagnate water pooling near the roots, a plant growing in a container that don't drain well or drain completely. I think draining completely and letting the roots "dry out a little before watering" is key here in this situation.

Outdoor grows that are not in pots can still get this if watered too frequently, or just has the fungus in the growing medium which would explain why certain people have it year after year if they use the same location every time or same compost.

Why don't it happen in hydroponics indoors? Because the roots are visible and its easy to find information on when you search for "slimly brown twisted roots." The problem is caught early on and the plant don't have a chance to exhibit advanced stages of this fungus.

I have had Root Rot before and mine didn't look like this.---- Simple overwatering can affect your plants in many, many different ways. Depending on which element the plant runs out of first, the plant could do anything depending on PH, Source and content of the water and other environmental factors. This coupled with the thousands of strains of fungus that cause Root Rot, and bingo, a sick plant with strange problems.

I'm not a botanist though.
Interesting. So it boils down to oxygen to the roots. Airflow and drainage are key. We’ve got a couple other people with the same issue.

Olt

Olt

I would still like to see or hear about test results, but overwatering might actually be it. Would like to hear from some of last years' posters to see what they think about this. Maybe along with certain temps or genetics? My friends with this problem replaced all old mix with new Pro Mix this year and still has the "purple" this year.

Traileblaze

Traileblaze

Backyard amateur grower here - never had this problem but it started with one plant and has spead to two others. Tried ladybugs, CalMg and sulphur. still marching on...any advice? Many thanks to those who posted thoughtfully on this thread for 2 years

Greenbob

Greenbob

Im in the upper north east and feel your pain.....I just noticed this yesterday

Traileblaze

Traileblaze

Lake Ontario region here
Had to cull one plant after reading this thread and any impacted branches from the other 2 plants. 🤞

A63DFBA0 26DA 4D48 9E61 99214E6D685C
C35BA9D6 66A0 4809 9875 BAA456E69E48
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I'm curious about something very outside the box. Ppl showing symptoms using copper based foliars or high copper in soils?

Bobrown14

Bobrown14

Serenade and Daconil are contact fungicides, not systemic. Not sure how well either works against viruses either.

Daconil concentrate
Well yes and no its a fungicide but it also works on plant diseases.

• 3-Way Control: Controls/Stops and Prevents over 75 Diseases including Tomato Blight, Anthracnose, Fusarium Wilt, Mold, Powdery Mildew, and more
  • For use on vegetables, flowers, fruit & shade trees
  • Rain-proof protection
This from their website ^^^^

Serenade is Bacillus subtilis strain QST 713

This is a systemic pesticide made up of beneficial soil bacteria. 420% on that.

Moving on.....

People starting to show the purple disease now.... I'm in upstate NY and saw my first Leaf Hopper the other day. They are known to carry and transmit many plant pathogens including viruses and likely hemp mites too. They work their way north from the cotton farms down south and this time of year show up in the northern parts of north America. They like dry hot weather.

They could be the vector is my point.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I mentioned this purple issue a while back after talking to some folks elsewhere. There were issues in Oregon and Hawaii but plants usually grew out of them. The consensus was that is was an infection primarily spread by leaf hoppers. Looking at some overseas sites, there have been mentions of the same issue for a few years now and I think a formal study was done somewhere. The carriers appeared to be insects. From most reports, it comes on without warning on healthy plants and stunts the growth. I' not educated enough to make a guess at the culprit's name, but it doesn't seem soil or nutrient related, at least from what I have been able to put together.

Flint_Fredstone

Flint_Fredstone

I at first thought it was an overwatering issue, but after some time looking at this. I think its some form of phytoplasma they get from leafhoppers. Now how are we going to kill all the leafhoppers? All it takes is one bite!

psysun

psysun

Hi everyone,

Found this forum/thread via google after going through this for this seasons outdoor grow.

First noticed it pretty early on about 6 weeks ago on just one of my sections (out of 4), didn't think much of it because it was isolated. Ended up cutting it off.

Just in the past 2 or 3 weeks ago it has gotten bad -- spread to all 4 sections.
Only one part of one section doesn't seem to be handling it very well.

Note: attachment 1 (1).jpg and 5 (5).jpg (in order the 2nd picture posted and 6th)-- very wide spread on almost all surrounding budding areas. Growth has been stunted in the worst hit area (the pictures with the most red circles)...

The other plants and sections have it -- but so far (and it doesn't look as bad as attachments 1 and 5 --- but you can kind of see in the pictures it doesn't look like it's hurting growth much yet.

Still very worrying how widespread it has become.

This is by my research and deduction indeed from leafhoppers causing phytoplasma as the thread indicates...
I have yellow sticky pads around all my plants now --- they are catching many leafhoppers.

Just today I saw two of them actually in the leaves.

The ones in my area (midwest USA) are almost always green -- and blend in really well with the plant. They can be very small too, so hard to notice.

But almost every sticky pad has caught at least one leafhopper if not 3 within the past week or two.

I know this is new -- but is there any treatment someone can recommend?
Referring to the purple.... is there nothing I can maybe spray in it, to reduce it, or kill the bacteria/phytoplasma... something?
Adding more leafhopper preventative measures-- but treatment for the already affected anyone?

We are on the edge of veg going into flowering hoping this won't kill or hurt the grow too much.
@Bobrown14 mentioned Daconil and Serenade.... going to look more into these. Would you guys recommend?

Last pic they are even targetting brand new growth it seems. Not even developed slightly and still purple-fied.

Probably have 8-10 weeks to get through this flowering stage, thought I'd share my report and hopefully get some feedback on it.... this is completely new to me, so I am kind of going at it as I can. How does it look to ya'll? I know some of you here have experienced the same issues... is this reversable, how bad does it look?

Big thanks and happy to have found the community :)

edit: first picture has good detail and was the first section I noticed it on. This one has sense been cut off but thought to include it for its detail and the fact that it was the first sight of this

8 8
1 1
2 2
3 3
4 4
5 5
6 6
7 7
Last edited:
psysun

psysun

anyone curious about the suspects/culprits.. these were just in the last couple of days.
Quick googling maybe the smaller one is a female and the bigger one... bigger one I see most of and my yellow sticky pads catch a lot of them, but this particular one was really big.

9 9
10 1
Top Bottom