DD inspired bubblebins

• Thread starter jack the reaper
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

SoCaliSmoking

Wow - Jack the Reaper the stalk of your plant (when it was cracked in half) looked the size of a PEPSI can!! Thats a beautiful break!

J

jack the reaper

sorry, no pix of fireplace detail.
it was pretty simple. i used a piece of ply, some adhesive weather seal for doors, a piece of 10 duct stuffed up into the damper inside the fireplace and a 10 inch elbow inside. i stuck the door sealer on the back of the plywood to seal against the brick and then used tapcons to anchor the ply.

IMG 1062
IMG 1063
IMG 1064
IMG 1065
IMG 1066
IMG 1067
IMG 1068
IMG 1069
J

jack the reaper

WOW Jack, I know its been said numerous times in ur thread, but the cleanliness and how tight and professional your room is, is genuinely impressive.

I know that took work, bc its easy to get lazy and leave soil bags here, nute bottles there, but man, your laundry room is my fav room of the house! I love the Galaxys all stacked apart all neat, and then the HUGE AC dedicated to the room. Forgive my listing the obvious but its how clean an efficient the room looks built that im sure is really helping along your success..keep it up!

thanks face!
laundry room is looking a little more cluttered right now, the kitchen is a DISASTER:nod

Shady

Shady

Chillin' in the Shade...
Supporter
sorry, no pix of fireplace detail.
it was pretty simple. i used a piece of ply, some adhesive weather seal for doors, a piece of 10 duct stuffed up into the damper inside the fireplace and a 10 inch elbow inside. i stuck the door sealer on the back of the plywood to seal against the brick and then used tapcons to anchor the ply.
no worries Jack! Thx for the details and the beautiful photos of your girls... :cool Keep up the great job!

E

easypleasie

Super clean, bro...I like how you roll. Of course, the rest of my place looks like ass lol

J

jack the reaper

I scrubbed the res well with bleach solution and rinsed. I didnt clean the bins. My thinking is that there is supposed to be a colony of beneficial bacteria in there, and I am hoping thats what I am looking at on the walls inside the bins.
The drain towers have been shortened by 1/2 in. There is about 10 1/2 gallons in each bin, but the roots are displacing that water more and more each day.
I added SM-90 at 1ml/gallon to my nutes, and they seemed to not mind, so I added another 1ml/gal yesterday. The SM-90 gave the solution a more energized appearance and there was a nice effervescence and the solution had a sort of 'pine sol clean' smell.
I am still not sure about what exactly happened but its very clear that there are several different pitfalls in this system to avoid:
1) proper vertical placement of the rockwool cube is important. Do you guys think it is possible to place the rockwool too high in the hydroton?
2) as always, careful not to introduce pathogens from outside/ other gardens.
3) water temps must be maintained below 70. (according to DDs there is a possibility of a 5 degree difference between the res and bins, so res temp of 65). I need to put a thermometer in my bins to test root zone temps.
4) the plants have constant access to the nutes and solutions dont need to be super strong to sustain growth. Excess nutes strains the plants and feeds pathogens.
5) LIGHT SEAL EVERYTHING! I intentionaly used the ABS instead of PVC for the drains to block out light, but then I went with the schedule 40 PVC (I think it was 40, whichever the thin walled cheap stuff is) for the distribution system. I am wondering if thats a prob.
6) gotta have oxygen (goes along with the lower temps)
7) for this Kush the pH should be 5.8 to 6.0

I think I would use the 2x2x2 rockwool cubes in the future. As soon as it roots it will be established in the net pot but in a veg room and top-drip fed. I dont see the need for so much rockwool, the stuff is a breeding ground for the funk IMO. Theres some guys with a bio balls thread that have done away with the rockwool and hydroton altogether. Its good lookin stuff.

mello

mello

i'm with you jack; i'm not a big fan of rockwool. however, our man doubled's says his heaviest pulls have coincided with bigger rockwool:

"If i root in a 4 inch cube, put that on an ebb n flow table for 2 weeks then transplant to buckets i end up with a much smaller plant that if i did the exact same thing with a 6 inch cube. I have no idea why bro but it happens everytime. "

now, i can't imagine the rockwool itself is the key... i would guess it has more to do with the greater mass of the rootball required to fill out the cube before you can transplant it into your mpb. i think this could also be achieved using equal sized coco pots filled with a soilless medium. didn't you try this method mrdizzle? or was it someone else? any thoughts crew?

mello

mello

oh and jack,
how are your girls?
did shortening your drainage towers make any difference?
how have those two runts been acting?
hope everything is beautiful man.

J

jack the reaper

things are lookin good, neon green new growth, tips standing up on end. im thinking about taking the towers down another notch (1/2in) but i want to observe for another day or two. Elis is very comfortable in her new spot, and her roots (which were less than the picture of perfect health) are becoming more white.
Esther still looks the same. I think she would enjoy lower water.

M

mrdizzle

here is a theory

since your cages are square and wider than most of the plants, the plant is able to lean, because the 4inch cube is so wet, the weight of the plant as it leans is ripping the roots from the stem, causing the roots that were ripped to die and rot.

thats what happend to my system when got all rotted out

J

jack the reaper

here is a theory

since your cages are square and wider than most of the plants, the plant is able to lean, because the 4inch cube is so wet, the weight of the plant as it leans is ripping the roots from the stem, causing the roots that were ripped to die and rot.

thats what happend to my system when got all rotted out

hmmmm...
im gonna investigate your theory detective dizzle, see if it has leggz...
what did you do to correct the issue in your scene diz?
thx
jr

M

mrdizzle

I lost the whole harvest, to correct it I gave up hydro and I went to hempy buckets for a year then came back and gave DD's buckets a run

the cage holds 100% of the weight of my plants, Mine isnt that big so the plant grows right though it. It makes it easy if you need to tie a branch to the cage

check them out they are probably fine but Ive been trying to think of reasons your plant RIP'd.

J

jack the reaper

Another possibility...
i dont use the top feed rings now, havnt since the roots came down into the water, but I did top rinse a few weeks back, and the water in the white sch40 PVC could have contained the necessary ingredients for an algea bloom. Maybe big enough to over power the benes... dunno...
Im going to double check, but I think the trunks are all vert. As soon as the branches were long enough they were fed through the cage. My oppenings are 2x4in so with a branch through the cage the plant only has an inch in either direction to move...

hey dizzle, thanks for puttin some brain on this issue. It would be cool if we could just rock this action without the slime, I am convinced that this is the way to the future (RDWC that is)

M

mcattak

The slime is why I decided to top drip through the whole process....The way i figured it the top drip would give the root zone above the water access to H202, sm-90 or beneficials...

That's funny you talked about the LEAN...As a rockwool user I have always really paid attention to the torque on my wet rockwool cubes...

Defiantly agree with dizzle if the roots started breaking they would not be able to support the size of the plant...

Tie um up...

L

Lost

You would not have that problem if you went from 1 inch cubes straight into the hydroton bucket/netpot... :very_first_smiley:

L

Lost

This was a 1 inch jiffy pelet in a 8 inch netpot lid, with the cage around the outside of the bucket.. The big one in the background. Then again a netpot gives the roots alot more to grab on to.. And no top feed btw...

Night
B

brookstown

What did you do to address teh insects? I had a prob with small fungus gnat larvae in rockwool once and looked into a dying plant to find the larvae enter the roots and eat from the inside out. Just another lead dano

L

Lost

Cover the tops of the buckets so the buggers cannot get in there and use No Pest Strips in Veg to keep them away.. Also if your moving a ton of air in your room, they cannot fly, lol!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom