Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Room looks, and smells dope...

20210507 200429

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Thanks guys. Im pretty happy with how this run is going so far I must say. Almost there, 2 or 3 more weeks left to finish up ripening.

These strains don't normally produce huge buds or yields for that matter, they're more boutique type plants, small, very frosty colorful buds that pack an excellent flavor and high. And the buds are like rocks, hard nuggety nugs. Keeping my dehu set to continuous run to maintain humidity in the low 40's to try and combat the potential for bud rot.
20210508 084157
20210508 084214
20210508 084204

That last pic is deceiving... those buds are bigger than they look in that photo. That is fat cushioned tie wire and those top fan leaves are the size of dinner plates.

Last edited:
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Thanks guys. Im pretty happy with how this run is going so far I must say. Almost there, 2 or 3 more weeks left to finish up ripening.

These strains don't normally produce huge buds or yields for that matter, they're more boutique type plants, small, very frosty colorful buds that pack an excellent flavor and high. And the buds are like rocks, hard nuggety nugs. Keeping my dehu set to continuous run to maintain humidity in the low 40's to try and combat the potential for bud rot.View attachment 1121986View attachment 1121987View attachment 1121988

That last pic is deceiving... those buds are bigger than they lookin that photo. That is fat cushioned tie wire and those top fan leaves are the size of dinner plates.

this looks denser with flowers than I have seen in the shed I think. Really looks special this run. You can see how comfortable you are with the method. That is so important. More important than what method or even what strain.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
this looks denser with flowers than I have seen in the shed I think. Really looks special this run. You can see how comfortable you are with the method. That is so important. More important than what method or even what strain.
I'll be totally honest, I wasn't very comfortable doing what I did to them 🤣.

It felt and looked wrong. But I really can't argue with the results, and the buds are chunky and dense with an excellent calyx to leaf ratio, which is something I thought defoliation would throw the other way by making the plant produce more leaf in the buds. Seems to not be the case.. and the whole crop is far more uniform in bud size and ripeness from bottom to top.

For 3 weeks of veg from rooted clone, to have a room this stuffed with buds blows my mind. Unislabs definitely have my attention. My buddy that just started a crop with them is blown away too, he texts me almost everyday saying how fast they're growing lol.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Honestly I think fast growing and cutting up plants hurts final quality. They are yield techniques. All of my testing and style has been to get the most out of each individual plant.

But on the other hand WOW THAT IS A LOT OF BUD!!!

And I’m sure the quality difference I am talking about is minor in the scheme of things.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Honestly I think fast growing and cutting up plants hurts final quality. They are yield techniques. All of my testing and style has been to get the most out of each individual plant.

But on the other hand WOW THAT IS A LOT OF BUD!!!

And I’m sure the quality difference I am talking about is minor in the scheme of things.

I'm not so sure about that one way or the other MiMed, but there isn't much lacking here in terms of quality. If there is a difference I do believe it must be minor. My buddy that's used these techniques for ages is well renowned for growing some of the best pot in the gulf islands of BC, which is itself, renowned for arguably having the best pot in Canada. He consistently tests higher in cannabinoids and terpene levels than your average grower too, and runs most plants out to 10 weeks in flower at minimum. They grow fast, but they don't really finish prematurely.

Last edited:
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I'm not so sure about that one way or the other MiMed, but there isn't much lacking here in terms of quality. If there is a difference I do believe it must be minor. My buddy that's used these techniques for ages is well renowned for growing some of the best pot in the gulf islands of BC, which is itself, renowned for arguably having the best pot in Canada. He consistently tests higher in cannabinoids and terpene levels than your average grower too, and runs most plants out to 10 weeks in flower at minimum. They grow fast, but they don't really finish prematurely.

that is very unusual for a commercial grower.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
that is very unusual for a commercial grower.
It is, but less so around here. He's one of the few growers I know who cares more about his product than he does the money. He is obsessed with quality. Spent thousands on single plants to aquire certain strains etc, blends DE HID with LED for spectrum, only ever uses Dyna-gro FP, Bloom, mag pro and massive. Never EVER chops early, and slow dries whole plants in climate controlled rooms. He is next level. Formerly coco grower who I recently converted to unislabs lol.

I've let him basically tell me how to run this grow from start to finish, in terms of both plant training technique and feeding regimen, and it shows. My room looks a lot like his. And that is a good thing.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Playing around with pics, I usually hold the camera up over my head to snap a pic as the plants are as tall as I am.

Which looks like this.
20210509 113322

But when I open the door I just see into the wall of bud. Like this
20210509 113352

Mind the haze... im smoking some real nice mimosa sativa my buddy grew right now.. kinda smoking out the room lol. Pretty sure he got the mimosa from the same breeder as the wedding crasher, it's somewhat similar. A Bit more heady. Nice daytime smoke.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Playing around with pics, I usually hold the camera up over my head to snap a pic as the plants are as tall as I am.

Which looks like this.View attachment 1122391

But when I open the door I just see into the wall of bud. Like this View attachment 1122392

Mind the haze... im smoking some real nice mimosa sativa my buddy grew right now.. kinda smoking out the room lol. Pretty sure he got the mimosa from the same breeder as the wedding crasher, it's somewhat similar. A Bit more heady. Nice daytime smoke.
Absolutely crazy in there.... you sure you don't wanna go back to organic soil? Sorry couldn't resist.

First thoughts are oh that trimming is gonna suck. Second is sure in the hell looks worth it.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
your grows are just epic man...doesn't matter with what...someone should be paying you a boatload to be
Thanks man. Waiting for an offer over here lol.

I've actually had a couple opportunities but passed them up, I have no interest in getting involved with the govt sanctioned takeover of cannabis products as its happening in Canada.
I was head grower for a large MMAR licensed grow for a few years at one time Though, pre "legalization".

I like just rockin my shed now, it's an easy size to maintain solo and is far more zen than running huge grow.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Absolutely crazy in there.... you sure you don't wanna go back to organic soil? Sorry couldn't resist.

First thoughts are oh that trimming is gonna suck. Second is sure in the hell looks worth it.
Seriously.. I'll be putting plants in dirt this week. To go outside though lol. Gonna set up a little greenhouse to keep a couple moms in dirt pots. Its time to take a short break for a few months over the summer. I've had the shed lit for almost 5 years non stop, its time for a break. I'll be keeping this entire crop for personal smoke and chilling like a villan this summer. When fire season hits and work grinds to a halt, ill actually have nothing to do for weeks...for the first time in years. I'm gonna take full advantage.

Plus the shed needs a good deep clean and carbon filter change, and some other maintenance so it'll be good to shut down for a bit. When I fire up in the fall again I'll hopefully still have these genetics, and I'll bang out another unislab grow.im very happy with this style and setup... wish I had of tried it 20 years ago.

Goes to show how easy it is to get stuck in a holding pattern as a grower. I used the same soiless media and nutrients for over a decade because that's what people I knew used and it worked well. But I've sure enjoyed the last couple years of really playing around, and happy to find this system. It's truely awesome.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I'm absolutely SOLD on recycling nutrient solution. Holy shit did I ever use a lot less nutes and water this round. Less than organic by a long shot, and less than my previous promix, hugo or coco grows.

I dump my runoff back into a 55 gal holding tank that also collects the dehu water which is a constant drip, so it's constantly diluting itself back down the the right range. Feed is going in at 1.0ec, comes out at 1.2-1.3, gets dumped into the holding tank and comes back out at 1ec lol. It's a perfect loop. Eventually every week and a half I need to refil the 55 gal tank and start over from fresh.. but it's been extremely simple and effective. I hardly put a dent in my bottles of dyna gro. The bottle of FP is still over 80% full lol.

I like filling the res and seeing numbers like this without touching it. So easy.
20210510 112902

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I'm absolutely SOLD on recycling nutrient solution. Holy shit did I ever use a lot less nutes and water this round. Less than organic by a long shot, and less than my previous promix, hugo or coco grows.

I dump my runoff back into a 55 gal holding tank that also collects the dehu water which is a constant drip, so it's constantly diluting itself back down the the right range. Feed is going in at 1.0ec, comes out at 1.2-1.3, gets dumped into the holding tank and comes back out at 1ec lol. It's a perfect loop. Eventually every week and a half I need to refil the 55 gal tank and start over from fresh.. but it's been extremely simple and effective. I hardly put a dent in my bottles of dyna gro. The bottle of FP is still over 80% full lol.

I like filling the res and seeing numbers like this without touching it. So easy.View attachment 1122779

Yeah if you have a res and auto watering it makes no sense to drain to waste. That’s why it’s called “waste” I guess.

Top Bottom