Dragons Flame Mac Dragon bx1 in Updated RDWC System

• Thread starter SweetLeafGrow
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

Thanks Aman, I think we can rule out the nutrients unless I am missing something about GH trio. The silica absolutely could be the problem. Like I said previously, there has been some solidification of something in that shit which has me wondering for sure. I saw on a previous post you made Aman, about a silica product you use, here-

20201119_184714-jpg.1057867

Is this still something you recommend instead of the Tree Trunk? I will see about getting an alternative to what I am currently using to rule out the idea that this product is not functioning as needed.

The other thing I could do is I have another air pump and two more brand new air stones. Do you think it worth a try to get another set of stones in there to see if this would solve the problem?

C

Cosmonut

I have had pH problems in the past and a few things to consider......

I was using GH maxibloom and having to consistently us ph up every few days to the tune of 100 ml (GH pH up) for a 70ish gallon rez. I did this for a bit until I found the issue which was my air lines were partially blocked by a salt buildup. With my system once the plants get so large the root zone is really tough to see and the air line is in a mess of roots. So less oxygen. During this same power outage the ac went off and caused a spike in temps. Lastly the top roots had gone dry as I wasn't top watering.

What followed was gnats, purple stems and plants fading/dieing to quickly.

So the fix. Cleaned the airlines, got a drip irrigation system for my rdwc to keep the roots wet and inoculated with (great white(don't like the staining on the roots) then southern ag, I am currently trying tribus)

GH maxibloom will keep your rez stable for the most part. Bad bacteria on the other hand has always been the source of my pH issues when I cancel out putting ANY supplements other then say maxibloom silica beneficial bacteria s and sulfur in flower.

Keep at it you will figure it out.

C

Cosmonut

I have had pH problems in the past and a few things to consider......

I was using GH maxibloom and having to consistently us ph up every few days to the tune of 100 ml (GH pH up) for a 70ish gallon rez. I did this for a bit until I found the issue which was my air lines were partially blocked by a salt buildup. With my system once the plants get so large the root zone is really tough to see and the air line is in a mess of roots. So less oxygen. During this same power outage the ac went off and caused a spike in temps. Lastly the top roots had gone dry as I wasn't top watering.

What followed was gnats, purple stems and plants fading/dieing to quickly.

So the fix. Cleaned the airlines, got a drip irrigation system for my rdwc to keep the roots wet and inoculated with (great white(don't like the staining on the roots) then southern ag, I am currently trying tribus)

GH maxibloom will keep your rez stable for the most part. Bad bacteria on the other hand has always been the source of my pH issues when I cancel out putting ANY supplements other then say maxibloom silica beneficial bacteria s and sulfur in flower.

Keep at it you will figure it out.
Also dude ditch the stones. They don't provide any more DO then running the airline straight in with a T at the end. It's one less thing to by and helps with process of elimination

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Thanks Aman, I think we can rule out the nutrients unless I am missing something about GH trio. The silica absolutely could be the problem. Like I said previously, there has been some solidification of something in that shit which has me wondering for sure. I saw on a previous post you made Aman, about a silica product you use, here-

Is this still something you recommend instead of the Tree Trunk? I will see about getting an alternative to what I am currently using to rule out the idea that this product is not functioning as needed.

The other thing I could do is I have another air pump and two more brand new air stones. Do you think it worth a try to get another set of stones in there to see if this would solve the problem?
Yup that will absolutely hold PH if the issue is your tree trunk. I have used that for a long time and its dirt cheap and very concentrated.

if its not that then id like ok at the aeration

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Also dude ditch the stones. They don't provide any more DO then running the airline straight in with a T at the end. It's one less thing to by and helps with process of elimination
They provide much better water column mixing which is very importan. surface agitation is where the gas exchange happens and im with ya on the top feed lines.

PK1

PK1

Supporter

just be very conservative with this. a little goes a verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry long way lol.

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

OK, lots to think about, thanks guys!

I guess I did not realize the importance of top feeding through the basket in hydro. I have been dumping about 4 cups of water down the net pot once a week at Amans advice. I will look into possibly setting up a timed drip system if it's that important but top feeding is not that hard to remember, I've just been doing it on Sunday. Do you run a drip system Aman?

Looks like that product you use Aman is pretty hard to find in the US unless someone else found it where I could not. I will look around at other products and get something ordered soon. If it ends up being and oxygen problem, I might upgrade to a commercial grade pump like the one Moe has. Watched a youtube on that and what a difference those larger pumps make in getting oxygen in the water.

C

Cosmonut

They provide much better water column mixing which is very importan. surface agitation is where the gas exchange happens and im with ya on the top feed lines.
I will have to locate the thread because I don't have a DO meter but I didn't think the small bubbles vs the big bubbles made any real difference. Like you said it's about surface agitation. I could be wrong though. I have been following this thread though and I know he's wondered about his stone cleaning before. I just don't think the juice is worth the squeeze on the stones. If you have some data you could post on stone vs no stone id love to give it a read or listen. The bigger bubbles to the eye at least look to create more agitation.

Here is the drip kit I use, they come in different sizes https://shop.pahydroponics.com/8-plant-add-a-drip-kit-free-shipping/

PXL 20221029 183736991MP
PXL 20221029 183745313
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I will have to locate the thread because I don't have a DO meter but I didn't think the small bubbles vs the big bubbles made any real difference. Like you said it's about surface agitation. I could be wrong though. I have been following this thread though and I know he's wondered about his stone cleaning before. I just don't think the juice is worth the squeeze on the stones. If you have some data you could post on stone vs no stone id love to give it a read or listen. The bigger bubbles to the eye at least look to create more agitation.

Here is the drip kit I use, they come in different sizes https://shop.pahydroponics.com/8-plant-add-a-drip-kit-free-shipping/
Your absolutely right bubbles make no difference in o2 directly. But it mixes the water and brings the o2 depleted water to the surface.

Smaller bubbles tend to move more water to the surface and help agitate more of the surface. Its only the difference they create in fluid dynamics that makes a difference The bubbles themselves arent under enough pressure or have enough dwell time to transfer dissolved oxygen into the water. Its more about creating water mixing and spread out over a larger area to create a broader surface area of agitation

C

Cosmonut

Your absolutely right bubbles make no difference in o2 directly. But it mixes the water and brings the o2 depleted water to the surface.

Smaller bubbles tend to move more water to the surface and help agitate more of the surface. Its only the difference they create in fluid dynamics that makes a difference The bubbles themselves arent under enough pressure or have enough dwell time to transfer dissolved oxygen into the water. Its more about creating water mixing and spread out over a larger area to create a broader surface area of agitation
I got you so more on the mixing end. Now that I can wrap my brain around. Thanks

C

Cosmonut

Thanks for this information bro! I didn't know PAH had a drip system, awesome and they have one for their single plant site too.
Yeah man I lost 8 large ladies to root rot I don't want anyone to go through that. But yeah been using the drip 24 hr on, on system and I couldn't be more pleased.

I run pa hydros 8 sight 13 gallon fallponic systems.

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

Yeah man I lost 8 large ladies to root rot I don't want anyone to go through that. But yeah been using the drip 24 hr on, on system and I couldn't be more pleased.

I run pa hydros 8 sight 13 gallon fallponic systems.
On my list, thank you for your help and experience!

So no timer or anything, just run it all the time. Gotcha. I'm using smaller net pots than PAH sells so I will have to figure this one out without his kit, should be fairly easy. I think I already have a pump and some 1/2" tubing. Thinkin on it.

C

Cosmonut

On my list, thank you for your help and experience!

So no timer or anything, just run it all the time. Gotcha. I'm using smaller net pots than PAH sells so I will have to figure this one out without his kit, should be fairly easy. I think I already have a pump and some 1/2" tubing. Thinkin on it.
Super easy 24/7 hell I just leave the top of the rez cracked and ran the tube right out, no cuts or nothing. Going to be another thing to clean but better then the rot and I can't always be trusted to hand water and keep my levels perfect.

Side note the bigger the system aka more total volume of water it can hold the easier this pH nute stuff gets. If you can master a 1 plant the larger systems, if that's your goal are easier in that way

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

Been reading a bit on silica and looking to get something in lieu of the Tree Trunk I have been using that seems to not be doing its job! Found repeated instances of folks using this stuff-

I'm thinking this might be basically the same stuff you were recommending Aman? If you think this is a good fit, I will order some up asap.

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

I’m just over 30 days in the system and things are going well. A couple of days after installing the new air stones the pH stabilized and stopped dropping, and is now very slowly rising. It looks to me like the problem might have been with the old air stones, thanks to Aquaman for helping me figure that one out.

I’ve been in a couple of different times in the past week and taken out a lot of the big fan leaves. This plant is a beast, very short nodal distances and very bushy. I’ve also done some more training and getting ready to flip, I’m guessing in two weeks or less. Roots look very good, PPMs are down near 300, I’m still trying to figure out a feeding schedule, but reading the plant, I don’t see it in need of anything at this time.

412C1D18 0BF2 461C AA0E 95FE535A8C54
91A3275A 3B1F 4933 B78F 62C8DCFA4F15
7CDAC96A E38C 4CE5 BED5 4AD4986F33FE
4396B3E6 EA20 410E 9B60 C769321763BA
E1D443D3 C6F9 4ACD B949 57D404C5CBCE
Madmax

Madmax

Shes going to b a handful 😃..how big is that tent lol..shes angry like the hulk bulking up ha..

Top Bottom