Gavita pro 600 / LEP 300 PLASMA test

• Thread starter theherbalizor
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
pistone1971

pistone1971

Any chance a vendor will be showing these lights at the LA cannabis cup this weekend? Amongst other things I'd really like to see how they run for heat?

sdgrower

sdgrower

Herb,

How often do you have to replace the LEP bulb?
Thanks
:animbong:

H

Heisengberg

Ok,

I have been going over pricing structures of these units.

I have some great prices that can be offered until the 1st of January 2012.

Please contact me via pm for details of the store.

You can order online or via the phone but just quote THCGavita to get a great price.

Hmm. Well I stand by what I said about the hype on these threads and trying to sell lights.

I'm not doubting Herbalizor's skill in any way, but any time someone is trying to sell something on
the same thread they're using it rouses my suspicion.

It's also interesting that Whazzup would show up on this thread. He would, of course, because he
works for Gavita and would take interest in seeing his products tested. I'm not saying anything against
Whazzup either. He doesn't hide this fact. I'm sure he's a nice guy, but he is a spokesman for the
product that is being sold on this thread.

So again, it gets me thinking.

I guess there is a lot of trust to be earned from these companies as so many charleton companies selling induction and led with mental claims ruins it for true companies like gavita who make no such claims. Just state the science and from that the informed and educated can make their appropriate purchases as report back with threads.

At the end of the day there is a reason why gavita 400v line of lamps are the number 1 choice for the professional grower. And by pros i mean places like Thanet earth and massive football stadiums alike ( to keep grass green not to illuminate the pitch).

As for the claims about the performance of the Gavita Pro lights vs the ones we currently use,
I haven't seen any real comparison. I've seen the quotes and figures about the micromoles output
of these lamps coming from Gavita, but that is from the test using an Ulbricht sphere, and not really
representative of the output of the bulb in a real world application.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integrating_sphere

Also, there are claims about loss of light through air cooling.

1) the glass does filter some light (~5% depending on if it's clean)

2) the idea that the kelvin temperature of the bulb is affected by cooling,
thus changing the spectrum or output of the bulb.

My main question here would be, has #2 been verified through testing, and
where can I see the results of this test?

Maybe Whazzup can help me out with this question.

Thanks for your patience. I just want to know more about these things before I hop on the bandwagon.

pistone1971

pistone1971

I'm liking the results but that's a question I've had too that needs answering before dropping that much coin.

I've heard ratings at 30K hrs but when does the lumen depreciation mean it's time to change an LEP lamp?

What's just the lamp alone going to cost?

How about the magnetron's rated life and cost to replace?

Is there a warranty and if so how long?

Possibly Herb has these answers or maybe a Gavita will be at the LA show. If so I'll get more information and post back up.

T

theherbalizor

Premium Member
Supporter
So because I had found someone doing a good deal on these lights, infact all shops with an account had the same price structure. Makes me working or selling lights. I have a friend who owns a shop. Infact I have about 6 friends that own 6 different shops. That must make me some canna business mogul?

FOR THE LAST TIME. I DO NOT WORK DUE TO DISABILITY, KIND OF LIKE THE DISABLILTY SOME OF YOU GUYS HAVE AROUND READING MY POSTS PROPERLY.

If you do not believe that is fine and move on. I will not waste time evidencing what is already pretty evident.

Sorry if I seam short but my life is super hectic and to take the time to do this thread to share knowledge and imformation for all only to be told I am making stuff up really annoys me. I would rather go write on my living room wall. It would be more productive than trying to show some folk the light, as it were.

T

theherbalizor

Premium Member
Supporter
Oh and whazzup is on this thread as I asked him to join in.

I wanted people to be able to get correct information and not crap so figured I would get the man himself to come and answer any questions you guys may have.

And for the last time, nothing is being sold directly from this thread. All that is passing hands is knowledge and that is passed on for free!

I would however hope that indirectly I have sold some units for gavita and their global partners as it means my reasons for creating this thread was successful in that more people are enjoying the joys of LEP and and the pro lines. Which they are.

In regards to the specific technical questions. I wil get whazzup to swing by and answer them for you all though most questions have already been answered within the thread. But I wouldn't want to read thru 27 pages again. Lol.

dankworth

dankworth

I see how you got 2 kilos out of like 16 square feet, with 1500 watts, so like 93.75 watts/ft2 give or take. And 1.333 grams/watt. And 4.4 oz per square foot average.
Okay, you win. I will start saving. Thank you for showing us what could be done. I will do my best to learn more about what made this happen in exactly this way.
Thanks theherbalizor.

Tank333

Tank333

I see how you got 2 kilos out of like 16 square feet, with 1500 watts, so like 93.75 watts/ft2 give or take. And 1.333 grams/watt. And 4.4 oz per square foot average.
Okay, you win. I will start saving. Thank you for showing us what could be done. I will do my best to learn more about what made this happen in exactly this way.
Thanks theherbalizor.
I had thought he was in a 5x5 tent? I may have been mistaken, but I thought he was using a DR150...

H

Heisengberg

He is using a 5x5 tent, so it's actually 25 ft^2. But it does make more sense when dankworth put it into perspective. 2 kilo is 1.3 gpw like he said.

By the way Herbalizor, Which setup would be more ideal in terms of heat management and yield for this 5x5 tent - Two 600w or a single 1000watt?

T

theherbalizor

Premium Member
Supporter
Cheers guys. Yeah dr150 tent.

I would def recommend 2 x 600w personally as youll actually achieve greater light saturation and better spread.

Interms of heat..... Mine ran fine with 8 inch out and 6 in. Although woud required air cooling or air con in summer.

H

Heisengberg

Thanks. It would definitely be more light, but also more money (2x ballast and bulb) and more electricity. I'm currently using a DR120 with a Lumatek 600watt right now. I used to have it in an air cooled Super Sun 2 but I moved that to my veg area with a 400w MH and now I use an Adjust-a Wing in my flower tent. There is a small 5000 btu window a/c that keeps my temp at a stable 70-76 F.

I've been wanting to upgrade for a while now but I wasn't sure if I would go with a 5x5 or a 4x8 tent, and I want to make sure whatever I get is upgradeable in the future. I've always wanted to try a 1000watt, just for the pure power and the fact it can produce a kilo on it's own, but the 600s do seem more flexible so I like your suggestion. I'm afraid in a 4x8 I would probably need 3x 600s though so I might stick to the 5x5 tent. Besides, if I can even get close to your yields I will be very happy.

I was actually thinking of getting a Blockbuster before I found out about Gavita. I like air cooled hoods personally. If you're interested I found a thread on an Austrian forum where a guy does a side by side with an Adjust-a-Wing vs a Gavita 600w Pro. All else equal, the Gavita beat the AAW by about 10%, but it's still pretty close. Factor in another 5% or so for a glass lens and I can see how the advantage of the Gavita could add up. I don't have PM so I can't send you the link but you can Google "AAW vs Gavita" and look for the one on icmag. It's in German so you'll have to use Google translator. Whazzup even popped in.

Oh and no hard feelings. I do appreciate the knowledge people like yourself spread on these forums. I'm just wary of hype and people promoting stuff. It tends to catch on in forums like these and I don't like to jump in head first without doing my research.

dankworth

dankworth

Sorry guys. I was pretty high. I usually pay more attention than that. The wattage per square foot makes much more sense, and 2.8 oz/ft2 sounds about right. I am a fan of 60something watts/ft2 myself.

And let's not forget how that LEP can veg delivering an average of 12 watts/ft2.

whazzup

whazzup

sorry guys I haven't had much time to visit all the forums and keep up with all the threads.

I do not like to hype things, I like to test them first and see if in the long term results are replicable. Don't believe everything manufacturers claim without doing some other source studies. For example you will never hear us claim that it is more efficient than HPS or that a 300W lamp can replace a 1000W as some companies do. Actually we say that HPS is twice as efficient generating photons compared to plasma light. Plasma is not a golden bullet but it has its purposes. It pays for itself in yield after 2 grows, HPS fixtures normally pay back within one grow. Saying it is expensive doesn't make much sense to me with that pay back time and the positive results in yield and foremost quality. The effects of Plasma are there and you can ask any professional user about their experiences with it, such as Don from DNA Genetics, or Alex from Flowery Field, or read their experiences on-line.

About the light measurements we do: Our Ulbricht sphere is calibrated each weak and is very accurate. We do lamp measurements for horticulture to help determine when lamps or reflectors need to be changed. It is the most accurate way to measure lamp output and the measurements can be verified by any independent manufacturer or facility with a calibrated Ulbricht sphere.

For a real world application you should take into account the reflector efficiency (when accurate) and possible filters and then you do have the actual ppf that is going to reach your crop.

The plasma cell is never air cooled: It is the driver, power supply and emitter that is cooled in the air cooled version. When you dim the lamp you cool it down, which shifts the color temperature up because you will have less red.

We are at the Maximum Yield trade show in Michigan in June, in San Francisco in July, so if you want to have a first hand demo come by. It's not hard to tell where we are: follow the light, all fixtures are demonstrated working of course. We'll provide the sunglasses ;)

C

coolj

I grow purely for myself. I just love to experiment especially in science and tech.

Right, shots of promised before they get taken over to the house and installed.

First the Pro 600.

Ballast is local as aposed to remote (which is also available). Its a very light (excuse the pun) unit.

gav600pro_1_.JPG

gav600pro_2_.JPG

gav600pro_3_.JPG

gav600pro_4_.JPG

Next the LEP 300

Measurements as they can not be found anywhere that i can find. 585mm long by 150mm wide. IE 6 inch duct required.

gavlep300_1_.JPG

gavlep300_2_.JPG

gavlep300_3_.JPG

gavlep300_4_.JPG

gavlep300_5_.JPG

gavlep300_6_.JPG

More shots tomorrow when set up.

Im really torn between 2 600s gravita 1000 I have the same tent and im running 2 600 in blockbuster hoods quantum ballast and digilux bulbs, i have a 8 lamp t5 in a dr150w for veg. I was thinking about gettng the triplestar reflectors for my quantums and use that in a bigger tent, or just sell them..What should i do should i get 2 600s or the 1000? or 2 1000s and dim them. and get a lep for veg?

321abc

It's also interesting that Whazzup would show up on this thread. He would, of course, because he
works for Gavita and would take interest in seeing his products tested.
Be careful, he is a sales person who will ban you on his mother forum if you speak against him.

Anyone interested in Gavitas 300 LEP wait until the new version is available STA 75). The latest and greatest Luxim puck should be shown at light fair 2012 in May on the 9th I believe. Look for production models to follow.

It has twice the output of the current 300w LEP with only an additional 150w. I can understand Gavita wanting to push the hell out of the current stock and supress all information regarding the latest version as Whazzup has done however he bans members in doing so.

Either way, if you wait you will get a better product for your money or a price reduction on the current model.

T

theherbalizor

Premium Member
Supporter
Kyle - well done on your investment.

321 - I asked whazzup onto this thread as I wanted to ensure correct information was being posted. He has no power to ban people here. He has always been very upfront about new technologies and the reduction in overhead voltage consumption verses increased output.

I look forward to any update gavita have to any of their products I currently use.

ttystikk

ttystikk

For the herbalizor, or whazzap; I am very interested in upgrading my lighting to Gavita's Proline. My problem is that I have sized my cooling plant and room for 8x1000w HPS, all in magnum xxxl 8" 'ocho' hoods. The hoods are cooled with air that comes from outside my sealed room and exhaust a significant portion of the heat outside it from the bulbs. If I tried to run non-vented hoods I'm quite sure my cooling plant wouldn't be up to the job. What do you suggest? My room is roughly 3x5 metres. The hoods are set up double barrel style, so the venting is efficient, to the point where I use a Y connector with a sizeable plenum and a single 8" maxfan to pull that cooling air through the hoods and outside.

I want the better lighting badly enough I'm even entertaining the idea of kitbashing the proline system with the magnum hoods! Surely, there has to be a better solution that doesn't generate more heat, or compromise my PPF/unit area?

Kyle mccall

Kyle mccall

hope you dont mind me posting these on your thread just waiting for my 600 to be delivered now you ll see the results closer to november :-)

IMG 0151
IMG 0150

Top Bottom