Growing in 3rd World Conditions (Cuba) att #2

• Thread starter Zerberus
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Zerberus

Zerberus

Tbh I would like to do bending, I have seen amazing even canopy results from that type of stress training I don't want to top the plants, I want both to be bushy and fill the grow closet for maximum yield.
Yeah and it depends on how you want to train them. If you bend the whole plant over they're new colas but if you're going to do traditional topping, then like @PahPahCee said, keep a couple for cuttings and remove the others before going into flower.

rasterman

rasterman

Tbh I would like to do bending, I have seen amazing even canopy results from that type of stress training I don't want to top the plants, I want both to be bushy and fill the grow closet for maximum yield.
I've been doing more of that, because it involves removing less of the plant and you can get a lot of colas faster.

Zerberus

Zerberus

Ok guys I got some good and some bad news, good news is plants are very healthy and happy... bad news is my nutes from General Hydroponics got delayed AGAIN, so now I will have to feed the plant probably some time next week with the 17-17-17 nutes that I bought in Havana, the problem is that those nutes only have Macro NPK, they don't have any micro nutes, like calcium/mag...

I do however also have the Foliar Spray Nutes I bought in Havana that have a NPK value of 11-6-8 and it DOES have micro nutes... But it's recommend for foliar spray only....

So my question is this....

How should I develope a feed schedule?

Can you guys help me ?

For now they seem fine because I sprayed them with the 11-6-8 diluted to about 15-20% more or less. But I know in the long run foliar spray won't keep the plants healthy since it's only basically a booster.

IMG 20230810 173516

P.s I will be transplanting them into bigger pots next week, they are in 1 gallon pots right now.

rasterman

rasterman

Ok guys I got some good and some bad news, good news is plants are very healthy and happy... bad news is my nutes from General Hydroponics got delayed AGAIN, so now I will have to feed the plant probably some time next week with the 17-17-17 nutes that I bought in Havana, the problem is that those nutes only have Macro NPK, they don't have any micro nutes, like calcium/mag...

I do however also have the Foliar Spray Nutes I bought in Havana that have a NPK value of 11-6-8 and it DOES have micro nutes... But it's recommend for foliar spray only....

So my question is this....

How should I develope a feed schedule?

Can you guys help me ?

For now they seem fine because I sprayed them with the 11-6-8 diluted to about 15-20% more or less. But I know in the long run foliar spray won't keep the plants healthy since it's only basically a booster.

View attachment 2021390

P.s I will be transplanting them into bigger pots next week, they are in 1 gallon pots right now.
They're looking really healthy and happy to me! Last winter I was trying living soil in small pots up to 3 gallons and it wasn't working out so well so was doing foliar sprays of nutes and Epsom Salts and kept that up until they finished. For a month or so.I don't know whether that was the best thing to do but it worked out ok.

Up-potting should give them a boost until your nutes arrive, I'd think...

I'd have suggestions about a nutrient schedule but never got any good at that.

Zerberus

Zerberus

Hi guys, I just got my work schedule for the next two weeks and its going to be a little hectic for me, so I decided to transplant the plants into their final 5 gallon professional grade containers 😂

Basically 1$ black plastic buckets 😂

I opened about 15 small drain holes in the bottom of each so that excessive water can run out into the collection bins.

I used the soils I got in Havana and I mixed in also the rice hulls I had to give it better aeration, then I watered them fully. I will feed them 17-17-17 nutes diluted down to about 15% next Saturday.

I'm also going to buy some clip on fans to provide better airflow, and I will buy the mylar film also so I should get those at the end of this month.

IMG 20230812 175932
IMG 20230812 175936

rasterman

rasterman

Hi guys, I just got my work schedule for the next two weeks and its going to be a little hectic for me, so I decided to transplant the plants into their final 5 gallon professional grade containers 😂

Basically 1$ black plastic buckets 😂

I opened about 15 small drain holes in the bottom of each so that excessive water can run out into the collection bins.

I used the soils I got in Havana and I mixed in also the rice hulls I had to give it better aeration, then I watered them fully. I will feed them 17-17-17 nutes diluted down to about 15% next Saturday.

I'm also going to buy some clip on fans to provide better airflow, and I will buy the mylar film also so I should get those at the end of this month.

View attachment 2022370View attachment 2022371
They're looking really good! Keep an eye out for nitrogen burn though. See the really dark leaves on the top one? I'm not sure, but it looks to me like it might be at maximum nitrogen right now. I personally like to see that in my own plants but it usually means I'll end up having to flush before flower.

If the end of the leaves start turning yellow that's how you'll know. If I'm wrong, someone correct me because I'm not 100%. It could also be something completely different - shadow in the picture, darker because it's trying to absorb more light, etc.

It's correctable and nothing to worry about unless it gets too bad.

Zerberus

Zerberus

I will keep an eye on them and I will not feed until I see deficiencies that way I'll avoid nitrogen burn, thanks for the info I had no idea 🙏🏻
They're looking really good! Keep an eye out for nitrogen burn though. See the really dark leaves on the top one? I'm not sure, but it looks to me like it might be at maximum nitrogen right now. I personally like to see that in my own plants but it usually means I'll end up having to flush before flower.

If the end of the leaves start turning yellow that's how you'll know. If I'm wrong, someone correct me because I'm not 100%. It could also be something completely different - shadow in the picture, darker because it's trying to absorb more light, etc.

It's correctable and nothing to worry about unless it gets too bad.

Zerberus

Zerberus

Must say I’m really enjoying reading your adventures with this buddy, you’re doing great all things considered and I can’t wait to see your final results
Thanks, it's been a struggle to say the least, however I am enjoying myself very much growing these little buggers 😆, I'm also extremely anxious to see the yield. Anything is better than the weed you can buy here from the streets...

IMG 20230427 173204

This was the best weed i was able to get my hands on a while ago, everything else has just been absolutely horrible and packed with hermie seeds.

GGOGZin

GGOGZin

Thanks, it's been a struggle to say the least, however I am enjoying myself very much growing these little buggers 😆, I'm also extremely anxious to see the yield. Anything is better than the weed you can buy here from the streets...

View attachment 2022606
This was the best weed i was able to get my hands on a while ago, everything else has just been absolutely horrible and packed with hermie seeds.
I’m in Cali and still think that growing your own is the best option, even with top grade stuff readily available, so you’re doing the right thing buddy. Honestly can’t say I’ve had weed as rough looking as that in the pic though. Keep us updated!

Zerberus

Zerberus

Day 40

Plants a doing good, little tips were turning yellowish, I think it's from light stress so I pulled the light up 2 inches, I wouldn't mind them stretching a little anyways.

I tied the taller one down, so that the smaller one can catch up. Other than that, all is good 👍🏻😊

The one that's tied down has really dark green leaves, so I probably won't feed it this weekend and I will wait a couple more days, last thing I want is to have Nitrogen burn, I will feed the smaller one tho, since it will be two weeks since I foliar sprayed them.

IMG 20230816 173602
IMG 20230816 173607

rasterman

rasterman

Day 40

Plants a doing good, little tips were turning yellowish, I think it's from light stress so I pulled the light up 2 inches, I wouldn't mind them stretching a little anyways.

I tied the taller one down, so that the smaller one can catch up. Other than that, all is good 👍🏻😊

The one that's tied down has really dark green leaves, so I probably won't feed it this weekend and I will wait a couple more days, last thing I want is to have Nitrogen burn, I will feed the smaller one tho, since it will be two weeks since I foliar sprayed them.

View attachment 2024239View attachment 2024240
I can't wait to see how the one you folded over looks in a couple of days.

Zerberus

Zerberus

Had to move the plants to another house I have close by that's unoccupied because too many people had seen them in my house and I was starting to get a little worried, last thing I want is to land in a Cuban prison. So both the plants and I will be a lot safer having them over at the other house. I moved them last night and I gave them their first feed from the 17-17-17 nutes I got in Havana, I diluted it down to about 15% of the recommend dose.

I just came back from visiting them and they look happy and colorful, tips are still a little bit yellow so I pulled the light 1 inch up.

Also I have to keep them on 24 hours of light from now on because I can't be running back and fourth to turn on and off the lights, I did already buy timers but they haven't arrived yet.

IMG 20230818 191345

IMG 20230818 191552
IMG 20230818 191438

Zerberus

Zerberus

Million dollar question, would it be a good idea to remove all the bottom single fan leaves from the plants to promote growth in the new areas that will eventually grow out even further...

So in essence would it be a good idea to prune them from the bottom up, removing all marked red single fan leaves that are stopping light penetration to the new growth areas ?
IMG 20230819 1453012
IMG 20230819 1455362

rasterman

rasterman

Million dollar question, would it be a good idea to remove all the bottom single fan leaves from the plants to promote growth in the new areas that will eventually grow out even further...

So in essence would it be a good idea to prune them from the bottom up, removing all marked red single fan leaves that are stopping light penetration to the new growth areas ?View attachment 2025345View attachment 2025346
Warning - you're going to get multiple answers and mine is probably in the minority. My personal preference since I started doing living soil, is to leave every leaf that I can. The bigger the leaf, the less I want to remove it.

The plant already created the leaf using nutrients in the soil. A lot of the nutrients plants need are mobile and can be sourced from other leaves. In that sense they're like a battery, and give you advance warning of problems. Lower leaves get cannibalized first, so for that reason the more you "leave," the better.

But it depends on what you want, too. If you want to increase light to the lower branches, leaf removal makes sense. But if the branches are much lower (like a lower node) it probably wouldn't make much difference. The only tops that ever amount to much are the ones near the top of the plant.

Personally, I would remove the lower branches but leave any leaf that's connected to the main trunk. But another option is to just bend the top over. Then give it a couple of days before deciding which leaves to cut. You can also tuck leaves in lieu of cutting.

Zerberus

Zerberus

Warning - you're going to get multiple answers and mine is probably in the minority. My personal preference since I started doing living soil, is to leave every leaf that I can. The bigger the leaf, the less I want to remove it.

The plant already created the leaf using nutrients in the soil. A lot of the nutrients plants need are mobile and can be sourced from other leaves. In that sense they're like a battery, and give you advance warning of problems. Lower leaves get cannibalized first, so for that reason the more you "leave," the better.

But it depends on what you want, too. If you want to increase light to the lower branches, leaf removal makes sense. But if the branches are much lower (like a lower node) it probably wouldn't make much difference. The only tops that ever amount to much are the ones near the top of the plant.

Personally, I would remove the lower branches but leave any leaf that's connected to the main trunk. But another option is to just bend the top over. Then give it a couple of days before deciding which leaves to cut. You can also tuck leaves in lieu of cutting.

Yeah I opted to just leave the plant as it is, and see how it developes, once that new growth pulls out and starts to spread evenly, I'll retake this issue, from what I have heard from everyone, less is more, and too much attention or "love" kills plants so I'm just gonna sit back for a week or two and just watch... I will veg the plant for another 8 weeks anyways so it's not a pressing issue.

rasterman

rasterman

I have a Chick Magnet that I've been pretty much ignoring all summer. Luckily I did top it at some point but right now it's a Christmas tree. I planted it in a five gallon and yeah, just waiting to see how it grows before deciding what to do....

Top Bottom