Growing in 3rd World Conditions (Cuba) att #2

• Thread starter Zerberus
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Zerberus

Zerberus

Just got back from checking on the plants and something is eating a few leaves, I checked the plants completely but didn't see anything... I have no clue what it might be, please help.
IMG 20230822 175337
IMG 20230822 180536

As you can see it's only on that new growth in 1 plant, the other seems perfectly fine and has no signs of damage, I didn't see eggs, nothing flying around so I'm kinda perplexed as to what's causing that.

Zerberus

Zerberus

Today I was able to snap a picture of this little guy, there's like 2 or 3 flying around the plants, they run on the leaves super quick and are impossible to kill 😂, I already found some pesticides that are approved for agriculture I will be bring them from Havana on Saturday.

IMG 20230823 194024

There's also these red little ants called wasmannia auropunctata (picture below) they are about 1mm long only but they sting like a MFFFF the pain can last for up to an hour!!!! and they also eat plants so the pesticides I bought will also kill them.

IMG 20230823 195301

Well that being said, these are the plants today, new growth is spreading and they are getting bushier, will wait another week before I trim the lower section and start strapping down the new growth to shape the plants to my liking. (Both plants tops are tied down to let the lower new growth catch up)

IMG 20230823 195641
IMG 20230823 195629

Tumbleweed375

Tumbleweed375

Today I was able to snap a picture of this little guy, there's like 2 or 3 flying around the plants, they run on the leaves super quick and are impossible to kill 😂, I already found some pesticides that are approved for agriculture I will be bring them from Havana on Saturday.

View attachment 2027622

There's also these red little ants called wasmannia auropunctata (picture below) they are about 1mm long only but they sting like a MFFFF the pain can last for up to an hour!!!! and they also eat plants so the pesticides I bought will also kill them.

View attachment 2027623

Well that being said, these are the plants today, new growth is spreading and they are getting bushier, will wait another week before I trim the lower section and start strapping down the new growth to shape the plants to my liking. (Both plants tops are tied down to let the lower new growth catch up)

View attachment 2027624View attachment 2027625
The first one looks like a vinegar fly. They definitely eat plants and fruit. Get some yellow stickies like these: https://a.co/d/90cVaEx

They attract and catch a lot of those pests that fly near your plants. They will also allow you to get a better picture and help me see!

Zerberus

Zerberus

The first one looks like a vinegar fly. They definitely eat plants and fruit. Get some yellow stickies like these: https://a.co/d/90cVaEx

They attract and catch a lot of those pests that fly near your plants. They will also allow you to get a better picture and help me see!
I bought some stickies the other day through Amazon but it will be at least a month before I can get them into Cuba, so I opted to buy these pesticides to quickly treat the plants and just put a better overall protection on them, they provide plants with 6 months of immunity and protects new growth also. They are used in agriculture so I'm guessing it will be fine on cannabis also, I will test on a patch of the plant before spraying it all down.

IMG 20230822 WA0025
IMG 20230822 WA0024

Tumbleweed375

Tumbleweed375

I bought some stickies the other day through Amazon but it will be at least a month before I can get them into Cuba, so I opted to buy these pesticides to quickly treat the plants and just put a better overall protection on them, they provide plants with 6 months of immunity and protects new growth also. They are used in agriculture so I'm guessing it will be fine on cannabis also, I will test on a patch of the plant before spraying it all down.

View attachment 2027642View attachment 2027643
I'm not an expert on pesticides, but i know there are quite experts on here that will have better advice.

You arent in flower yet, so you might be ok, but double check the chemicals that you are using

Zerberus

Zerberus

I'm not an expert on pesticides, but i know there are quite experts on here that will have better advice.

You arent in flower yet, so you might be ok, but double check the chemicals that you are using
Chemicals are in Spanish and I got a C in high school chemistry 😂 do you know anyone that might be able to help out ?

Tumbleweed375

Tumbleweed375

Chemicals are in Spanish and I got a C in high school chemistry 😂 do you know anyone that might be able to help out ?
Haha my chemistry and spanish are both terrible!

@Deadstill knows A LOT about pesticides and that sorta stuff. And my buddy @Captspaulding has an answer for everything cannabis related. I'd be surprised if they didn't have an answer or know where you could find one

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Rogor looks like a systemic pesticide. Some thing you probably want to stay away from. And it looks like the other one might be banned in the EU. Don’t know about the states. Better do some research before you use either one of them. I get the impression that they are both pretty gnarly!

Last edited:
HerbalEdu

HerbalEdu

rogor seem pretty much like spinosad regarding it's novel mode of action per ingestion and contact and effect on the insect nervous sytem, difference is they say rogor stay active for 3 weeks when spinosad self degrade faster and with light, seem to be used for agriculture so most prolly safe.

i think Rogor is something you could try against thrips or spidermites

muralla max work the same contact and ingestion byt not sure it would be efficent against spidermites, they don't mention it being an acaricides seem also to be widely used in agriculture depending local law but i m a bit concerned with the "nocivo si se inhala"

Last edited:
Zerberus

Zerberus

i think your overeacting with thoose bugs you've seen around, you're far from being infected with anything.

i don't think your plants need any pesticides treatment at this point.
Ok, I won't pull the trigger on using the pesticides, I'll just sit back and watch closely for now, I will however buy them just in case. Better be safe than sorry.

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
Yes that Muralla Max is a systemic pesticide and I would not use that on cannabis! It also has the one symbol you know to stay away from - Bayer. They don't make anything I would use on consumable plants!

I haven't read through this thread or anything, yet. I will later when I get time, but what is the main concern as far as pests go? I would use neem oil before I used that stuff. If I'm reading this correctly that stuff looks like some sort of synthetic version of pyrethrin. It also contains a type of insecticide made by Bayer that acts in a similar manner as nicotine, and just to summarize, I don't trust anything from big names like Bayer, Monsanto, etc. etc..

The Rogor Dragon is also a systemic and I don't know if I would trust it.

If you have access to Amazon I highly recommend this stuff -

It's safe to use clone through harvest, won't kill honeybees, it's 100% organic, OMRI listed, and most importantly it works very well!

Last edited:
Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
I think the Muralla might be related to malathion. Not sure though. I think his plants are small enough that he could rig up something to hold the soil in place and give them plain water dips. At least, with dipping you get to every nook and cranny of the plant. Just 2 cents

Deadstill

Deadstill

Supporter
Yeah I just skimmed the last pictures he posted, I don't see any serious plant damage, yet. I wouldn't jump straight to systemics, it would be best to go preventative first. Neem oil minus the azadirachtin https://www.amazon.com/Garden-Safe-...692902498&sprefix=garden+safe+,aps,342&sr=8-1 <<< such as this product, would be a good option to keep them from messing with the plant in the first place. The AgroMagen stuff I linked in my last post works as a preventative measure, as well.

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
He didn’t have access to any of them modern conveniences in Cuba. Takes him a month to get shit off of Amazon and cost a fortune. This is one of those who use your imagination and ingenuity grows. And he’s made a lot of progress.

Deadstill

Deadstill

Supporter
He didn’t have access to any of them modern conveniences in Cuba. Takes him a month to get shit off of Amazon and cost a fortune. This is one of those who use your imagination and ingenuity grows. And he’s made a lot of progress.
Right on! I can dig that.

Let me wake up a little bit and come back to this - I'm sure we can figure out a concoction out of readily available ingredients that will work. In this case it may just take something simple like rosemary oil or something to keep those flies off.

socks4free

socks4free

Ok, I won't pull the trigger on using the pesticides, I'll just sit back and watch closely for now, I will however buy them just in case. Better be safe than sorry.
This might be something you can make to help with any bugs. Id stay away from those synthetic pesticides as that's not something you want to be smoking.

Zerberus

Zerberus

This might be something you can make to help with any bugs. Id stay away from those synthetic pesticides as that's not something you want to be smoking.

This is sadly completely out of my reach, I would have to import all of those ingredients, there's a lot of limits to growing here in Cuba, it's like having my hands tied and getting kicked in the nuts constantly.

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Don’t underestimate the IPM power of just good old water! You don’t necessarily have to hog wild, spraying pesticides and fungicide all over your plants.

Top Bottom