Growing in 3rd World Conditions (Cuba) att #2

• Thread starter Zerberus
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
rasterman

rasterman

This is sadly completely out of my reach, I would have to import all of those ingredients, there's a lot of limits to growing here in Cuba, it's like having my hands tied and getting kicked in the nuts constantly.
Any kind of essential oils would be good so if you have access to peppermint or spearmint oil you can use that. You can also make tobacco tea and spray it on.

T

THEBRO

Hi everyone, this will be second attempt to growing in Cuba, last time one of my dogs ate the plant at around 45 days old 😂, but this time I have a little ghetto setup. I'm going to be growing inside one of the sections of the closet in my room, it's a 30" x 30" and it's about 6 feet in height. I put in a Vipar Spectra V1000 (2023) with the new diodes, I will wrap it later down the road with panda film, and I'll put in all the bells in whistles little by little. This is the "grow room" for now...View attachment 2003718

I germinatd 2 Black Domina they are feminized photoperiods. They both sprouted from the soil today, the soil I'm using has been flushed for the last two months with rain water only and LAB.

The soil is just natural soil found around wooded green areas here in the island, it has about a 30% mix of rice hulls, and 10% mix of broken down styrofoam bits with some small bits of wood chips.

These are both the plants now....

DAY #1

View attachment 2003721View attachment 2003723

I'm super excited to see this grow progress... Some details about the lighting setup. It's currently at 75%, 26 inches up, it's whats recommended by the manufacturer for the seedling stage.

I went directly and planted into bigger containers this time, I don't want to have to transplant until it's well into the vegetative stage and the roots have fully developed because the soil is not perfect and it's still clunky, so I want it to grow without interrupting it or stressing it out.

For nutes I will be using the General Hydroponic Flora Series 3 bottle kits sold on Amazon, I'll be using my own home made CalMag, I'll also be using Hydrolyzed Fish food for the plants.

Hope everything goes well this time, I will be keeping the door locked so that my dogs don't eat it this time 😂 wish me luck and all advise and productive criticism is welcome. I'm here to learn, better myself and my grow skills along the way and with a lot of luck get really high in the end 🤞🏻
Pretty kool palcero, flora series is very good just been on point with the calmag

Zerberus

Zerberus

Hi everyone, today I went ahead and trimmed some of the fan leaves off that were blocking light from getting to the new growth, In total I removed 7 fan leaves from both plants (4 from the tallest, 3 from the smaller) I also watered the plants since it was looking a little dry, and these are plants now, tied some of the shutes down in the direction I want them to spread and to get more light.

IMG 20230825 193314
IMG 20230825 193321

Zerberus

Zerberus

Also on a quick note, my leaves are starting to taco all over the top of the plants so I raised the light 3 inches, and I'm trying to find someone with knowledge on using vitamin supplements as plant nutrients, I need cal-mag, can't get my hands on epsom salt, or calcium nitrate... So I was thinking could I use these supplements and just add them to the water?

I would need help on what dose I should give per gallon of water.

That's if I can even use them to replace cal mag

IMG 20230825 WA0017
IMG 20230825 WA0018
IMG 20230825 WA0019

socks4free

socks4free

Also on a quick note, my leaves are starting to taco all over the top of the plants so I raised the light 3 inches, and I'm trying to find someone with knowledge on using vitamin supplements as plant nutrients, I need cal-mag, can't get my hands on epsom salt, or calcium nitrate... So I was thinking could I use these supplements and just add them to the water?

View attachment 2028625View attachment 2028628View attachment 2028629
I have never used human vitamins for my plants however I did add old protein powder to my compost pile lol. Here's an article that talks about.using old vitamins on plants that should help you.

rasterman

rasterman

View attachment 2028625View attachment 2028628View attachment 2028629
It's what they need - why not? I would smash up and mix one tablet with five gallons and just give it a shot! You could add it just to one for comparison...

Zerberus

Zerberus

It's what they need - why not? I would smash up and mix one tablet with five gallons and just give it a shot! You could add it just to one for comparison...
I will crush one half into a gallon of water and see how one of that plants take it, I will wait a week and see how it does, if it's better than before then I'll do the same for the other

Zerberus

Zerberus

Day 55

Hi guys little update on the plants, the one I noticed had CalMag deficiencies, I watered it on Saturday, with half a pill crushed up in a gallon of water, I went by today to see how it was doing and this is the plant now...

IMG 20230830 212023

IMG 20230830 211950

As you can see all the new growth is still yellowish, I'm not going to water it for a few more days since we had the hurricane on Monday humidity has been over 80% so soils are still moist.

I will wait, and just give her plain rain water for a maybe another week and just watch her, if she doesn't improve I will foliar feed her with the nutes I have on the second watering which will be around Tuesday or Wednesday of next week.

This is the other plant that I didn't give the Cal Mag too, she's just been on basic nutes and she's doing great, healthy grow all around, I'm expecting to get some nice buds out of her.

IMG 20230830 212028
IMG 20230830 213152

I will lollipop them both in about 21 days.

I will wait another 24 days after lollipoping them before I switch them to flower. I want to get them bigger for more bud and I will buy another light to put them each under their very own since right now they share one light.

I know they are ugly 😭😔 but I love them, and I'm extremely grateful I have been able to get this far. Please let me know your thoughts and suggestions guys.

IMG 20230830 212033

HerbalEdu

HerbalEdu

I don't see any calcium or magnesium deficiencies going on with your plant and they do look great.

Your light isn't really powerfull enough to penetrate a too high, dense or wide canopy once in flower.

Imho your plants are already big enough for the flowering switch, may be wait one more week but not more. Else you might end with a flowering stretch totally out of control and lot of buds that don't benefit from enough direct light and/or too far from the light on the side or bottom of the canopy.

Last edited:
Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
I don't see any calcium or magnesium deficiencies going on with your plant and they do look great.

Your light isn't really powerfull enough to penetrate a too high, dense or wide canopy once in flower.

Imho your plants are already big enough for the flowering switch, may be wait one more week but not more. Else you might end with a flowering stretch totally out of control and lot of buds that don't benefit from enough direct light and/or too far from the light on the side or bottom of the canopy.
Agreed, I’d flip very soon to get the most out of that light in that space. Plants look great imo I’m not seeing defs on he, maybe a tad of nitrogen if you’re worried about the yellowing but depending on the strain I find some have very very light new growth and it darkens up nicely over the next few days as the leaves mature.

Looks like you’re doing great for what materials you have on hand!

Zerberus

Zerberus

Hi everyone, checked on the plants today and I'm really starting to worry about one of them, the top new growth is really starting to yellow out much more. Does anyone have any ideas? This is the plant.

IMG 20230902 212121
IMG 20230902 212527
IMG 20230902 212530
IMG 20230902 212538

The weird thing is the other one is doing perfectly fine...

IMG 20230902 212125

IMG 20230902 212135

Any thoughts, suggestions, ideas?

Should I flush the soil on that sick plant and wait till it dries out then foliar feed it with some nutes?

I'm at a loss, I really want to pull both plants through.

I rotated them and changed their positions to see of that helps, even though I have been doing that weekly.

Zerberus

Zerberus

P.s sorry about the mess on the ground, I accidentally broke one of the bags of soil I bought in Havana, before taking those pics.

Top Bottom