Hard Black Ash (no “bro” science plz)

• Thread starter Dothraki
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Bluntsmoke

Bluntsmoke

Not ready to smoke. I can tell by the looks. They'll get there it just takes time. I'm in the same stage right now with 4 plants. I just pressed a nug of one. Good but not there yet
IMG 20220306 192912637

growsince79

growsince79

Thought we’re lookin for white ash ? I’ve had whiter but this is gmo grown in promix with reduced nutes at the end prolly around .5 ec of pure blend pro grow. Dried for 10 days been jarred for almost 3 weeks - smokes great for me
I can't see the ash color, so as long as it burns and stays lit it's good. If it tastes like shit 2 weeks after cut, I just toss it. If its good it gets jarred. Got no desire for shitty weed.

Dothraki

Dothraki

Thought we’re lookin for white ash ? I’ve had whiter but this is gmo grown in promix with reduced nutes at the end prolly around .5 ec of pure blend pro grow. Dried for 10 days been jarred for almost 3 weeks - smokes great for me
Haven’t even rolled a joint yet. It’s probably still not ready, too moist. Maybe I‘ll see what‘s up this weekend.

GrowHobo

GrowHobo

Not ready to smoke. I can tell by the looks. They'll get there it just takes time. I'm in the same stage right now with 4 plants. I just pressed a nug of one. Good but not there yetView attachment 1223884
You really saying you can look at a pic of a bud and tell if it’s cured or not? Please enlighten me on your method? What we looking for here lol

KingOfUranus

KingOfUranus

You really saying you can look at a pic of a bud and tell if it’s cured or not? Please enlighten me on your method? What we looking for here lol
It just doesnt "look" ready yet. Its hard to put into words exactly, but you can just tell it still looks fresh. The second pic looks hella fresh, look at the colour, especially the green of the stem. Even in the first pic the bud doesnt look like its tightened up.. I wouldnt know the words to use to describe it, but it just doesnt pass the eye test, it looks fresh/hydrated.

DrPeeper

DrPeeper

I’ve read through all the threads on black ash, won’t burn right, harsh smoke etc. and there seems to be 2 groups... 1) “didn‘t flush” and 2) “didn’t dry & cure properly”

My question is for those in camp 2. Drying and curing. Nobody seems to elaborate on the dry and cure and what exactly leads to hard black ash that doesn‘t stay lit.

Dried for 10 days until buds felt crunchy, but still had some give to them if squeezed. Then jarred and burped a few times per day for about a week. I left a bud out in low humidity overnight until it was crunchy and still burns to black char instead of ash.

Buds were never sprayed, no PGRs, dried 10 days @ 59*F and 40-45% RH

So what exactly would need to be done to prevent the harsh flavorless smoke with nasty black char instead of light whispy ash? The buds smell amazing and the high is fantastic. Is a 10 day dry too short? Is jarring too early or too late responsible? Do I just need to let them sit in the jars longer and eventually the smoke will get more flavorful and smooth? Or is it doomed once you get that black charred ash?

It a bad dry/cure, not the flush. Flushing is 100% bro-science.

You dried it too fast probaby, and leaving it out in low humidity is a bad idea. Was that documented somewhere? 60F @ 60%RH for 12'ish days. 10-14 days roughly. Varries per grow.

DrPeeper

DrPeeper

I think a pre harvest flush/nute reduction helps speed chlorophyll degradation.
No it does not, and the halflife of chlorophyll is actually fairly quick. People don't flush living soil and they start growing again in the the minute they harvest. Flushing is the epedimy of bro science.

Top Bottom