Hard Black Ash (no “bro” science plz)

• Thread starter Dothraki
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dothraki

Dothraki

I find it hard to believe that his hydrometer was working with the symptoms he is describing at 40% nugs turn to dust in 10 days like you said. Maybe the humidifier he has doesn't produce enough of a diffused mist and had a wetting effect on the nugs?
It was 38-40% at 59-61*F and they were very dry, but still some spongyness to them like Styrofoam. Felt too dry but stems still weren’t snapping. I’d need maybe 14 days for stems to snap but they’d be over dried. I don’t know how anyone dries until the stem snaps without having dust buds.

Also, no humidifier in my tent or on my buds. Just in the room, which the tent is in. Or in the case of these test branches, a cold closet 59*F with decent air exchange (Big gap at bottom of door and opened a coup,e times a day for more fresh air, which was in a room very very close in temps, same humidity.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
FB6829D4 E310 44F7 AB6D 8AC2FD88AD82
851575CA 8429 4EF2 A24A CA4BDA397F31

S

sammyknows

Interesting... “manipulation of temp and light” but no specifics on how where when. Is there more to this article that goes into the specifics of how temp and light affect the endgame burnability and smoothness?
You would think there would be more research based on drying/curing in the tobacco industry

Homesteader

Homesteader

But be sure to flush! The part about liquid fertilizer is the second biggest bunch of crap I’ve read today.
You don't think high nitrogen in flower can cause increased chlorophyll? Was it the liquid part that upset you? Could be fish for all I care. A plant isn't going to take in a dry nutrient at the same speed. My point was too much nitrogen can make it burn slower but that may be bro science....Also probably depends on your lighter though

Insights from Tobacco Ash​

Cannabis consumers are not the first to be obsessed with the color of their ashes—the tobacco industry has studied ash color for quite a long time. Already 100 years ago, scientific literature explored the plant ingredients that support or inhibit tobacco burn. It was described that chlorides prevent complete combustion, which then inhibits flavor and aroma. Potassium salts of organic acids, on the other hand, aid in combustion and increase the fire-holding capacity.8

Realizing the importance of potassium salts and other alkali and alkali-earth metal salts, U.S. federal and state agricultural departments, along with academic institutions, began to study the effect of fertilizer use on tobacco smoke and ash.9 Researchers found that fertilizer treatment neither altered the alkali composition of the cured leaves, nor increased the sulfur levels in the leaves. What did make a big difference in tobacco smoke quality was the fermentation process, specifically the high concentration of chlorophyll in low-quality tobacco products.

Early on, white ash in tobacco cigars and cigarettes was accomplished by adding magnesium or calcium acids, nitrates or carbonates. Burning any of these acids in your cigarette will cause alkaline earth metal oxide to form, which imparts a white color to the ash that is left behind.10

The main takeaway is that white ash forms at high combustion temperatures and is mostly made up of minerals. This should lead us to question the doctrine that white ash comes from flushed cannabis plants.

Last edited:
GrowHobo

GrowHobo

I have quick dried plenty of tester buds, Like 3 days, still burns white defo loses flavor though. I was under the impression it was and abundance of phosphorus that was making the black slow burn. Totally bro science because i can’t remember y I think that lmao, just read the above post and now I’m questioning everything lol.

Pushrod Monkey

Pushrod Monkey

You don't think high nitrogen in flower can cause increased chlorophyll? Was it the liquid part that upset you? Could be fish for all I care. A plant isn't going to take in a dry nutrient at the same speed. My point was too much nitrogen can make it burn slower but that may be bro science....Also probably depends on your lighter though

Cannabis consumers are not the first to be obsessed with the color of their ashes—the tobacco industry has studied ash color for quite a long time. Already 100 years ago, scientific literature explored the plant ingredients that support or inhibit tobacco burn. It was described that chlorides prevent complete combustion, which then inhibits flavor and aroma. Potassium salts of organic acids, on the other hand, aid in combustion and increase the fire-holding capacity.8

Realizing the importance of potassium salts and other alkali and alkali-earth metal salts, U.S. federal and state agricultural departments, along with academic institutions, began to study the effect of fertilizer use on tobacco smoke and ash.9 Researchers found that fertilizer treatment neither altered the alkali composition of the cured leaves, nor increased the sulfur levels in the leaves. What did make a big difference in tobacco smoke quality was the fermentation process, specifically the high concentration of chlorophyll in low-quality tobacco products.

Early on, white ash in tobacco cigars and cigarettes was accomplished by adding magnesium or calcium acids, nitrates or carbonates. Burning any of these acids in your cigarette will cause alkaline earth metal oxide to form, which imparts a white color to the ash that is left behind.10

The main takeaway is that white ash forms at high combustion temperatures and is mostly made up of minerals. This should lead us to question the doctrine that white ash comes from flushed cannabis plants.
We usually reduce feed strength in late flower. But liquid fertilizer is absolutely not the issue.

Bluntsmoke

Bluntsmoke

Probably not cured. Takes mine 3 weeks after dry trimming to start to taste right. Recently dried an extra couple days in the refrigerator and it sped up the process immensely.
Here's 2 bubblegum autos that were brought down 2 weeks apart. Both are bone dry. One has been in grove bags for a month the other almost 2 weeks
IMG 20220301 220519882
this isn't smoking right yet has black ash and they been dry 2 weeks. They are starting to compress though.
IMG 20220301 220812427
this smokes good and has white ash and is ready for whatever

Dothraki

Dothraki

Probably not cured. Takes mine 3 weeks after dry trimming to start to taste right. Recently dried an extra couple days in the refrigerator and it sped up the process immensely.
Here's 2 bubblegum autos that were brought down 2 weeks apart. Both are bone dry. One has been in grove bags for a month the other almost 2 weeksView attachment 1222732this isn't smoking right yet has black ash and they been dry 2 weeks. They are starting to compress though.View attachment 1222733this smokes good and has white ash and is ready for whatever
are you saying the one that was in grove bag for a month burns right and tastes good but he one in the grove bag for 2 weeks still burns black and tastes harsh? But they are both bone dry?

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter

the same thing just wrote out a different way.,

Dothraki

Dothraki

I have had 4 other harvest after my initial bubblegum harvest and none of them smoke right yet.
Cool so maybe I just need to wait a bit and they’ll get nice. I just figured since the smell was there, strong and sweet with no green smell, that they’d smoke well. So is that pretty normal that they don’t burn right and are really harsh for a month following harvest even when fully dry?

Bluntsmoke

Bluntsmoke

Cool so maybe I just need to wait a bit and they’ll get nice. I just figured since the smell was there, strong and sweet with no green smell, that they’d smoke well. So is that pretty normal that they don’t burn right and are really harsh for a month following harvest even when fully dry?
Can be. Usually 3 weeks it starts tasting okay. 4 weeks even better. At 6 weeks they should be all the way right

growsince79

growsince79

If you have to wait a month to have decent tasting smoke you got bad genetics.

growsince79

growsince79

I wouldn’t think black ash would have anything to do with genetics...they are all made of the same stuff.
Why is indica darker green than sativa? Genetics and bud structure have a huge effect on drying and curing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom