House & Garden Nutes., Under Current Systems, 30,000 Watts, 10 Tons of A/C, Co2

• Thread starter Ben Derdundat
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Ben Derdundat

Ben Derdundat

Thanks for all the compliments everyone!!!:hi:
I'm glad some of you found this thread to be helpful. :damnhippie::cool:pimp::emo:nerd:angel:icon_dizzy: :bandit:character0025::character0180::big_boss: :character0050:

Well, don't keep us in suspense. How's the smoke report?:anim_19::anim_19::anim_19:

HaHa!
I've been a little busy... In due time my friend...:smiley_joint:

Nice job, Ben - I like the mystery surrounding your numbers, too :)

Thanks!
There shouldn't be any mystery:bubblez:.... I stated my average and max lbs per 1000 watt on my old drain to waste grows with the O.G. Kush earlier in this thread. See if you can find it... OK, well maybe a little mystery:evilgrin0013:

awesome job ben! Glad to hear ur getting the same gpw with only 18 plants, thats incredible. I just setup a 24 bucket system under 12,000watts lowering my plant count by 72 plants.
I am curious though ben...what is your gram per watt? I've read that you should be able to get .5gpw for every month of flower. so a 1000watt should pull bout 35 ounces if these numbers are correct. do you average 35ounces a light(kickass if u do), and if not are there things you can do to get these numbers?
thanks for your input ben. just trying to get the big picture here thats all.

Hey,thanks!
.5gpw for every month of flower? I think you might be a little mixed up or it could be me but, I have never heard of anyone measuring weight by how many months you flower your plants. As for getting .5gpw, I feel that can be obtained in the Under Current using horizontal lighting with the right strain if given a controlled environment and proper care. Now as for getting .5gpw off of a pure O.G. I think you will be hard pressed. I'm not saying its impossible but, to do it on a consistent basis is a whole other ball game. The best I have done with my pre '98 O.G. has been 1.75 lbs per 1000 watt. I have only been able to accomplish this a handful of times over the 11 years I have had this strain. Another thing I should mention is that my pounds at 454g. A true pound. I could do the gpw conversion for you but, I'm too lazy right now.:sleepy bd

F

FreshSteppin

your nearer to the .6 - .7 gpw range. which with OG is great.

F

FallnKinG

thanks for the info ben. congrats again on the killer buds and awesome yield. My mistake earlier to all i meant was grams per watt...i was a little high after looking at your pics!!! next time i'll double check my post to make sure my heads not in the clouds.
cant wait to follow ur next thread. keep it growing

HG23

HG23

Wow man, this is incredible. Thanks for doing such a good job of documenting everything with pics and updates. I just read through it all again and it's really easy to keep track of whats going on. I'm really looking forward to your next run, hopefully you'll be showing us your new verticle setup too. Still planning on putting some 2 kw bulbs to work?? Another thing that is really sick and didn't receive much attention is the Growtronix system. Looks fuckin top notch with all the levels of protection, sensors and data logging. Will you be using it in your new project? (I know, I know, I should just wait but I can't help it). Again, nice job and thanks for sharing.

B

Bobby Smith

HG, agreed that the Growtronix shit is hot (I just couldn't justify it for my setup, but it's really, really sick).

However, you might wanna check your math again - you need to hit >2lbs. per light for 1g/w.

Ben Derdundat

Ben Derdundat

thanks for the info ben. congrats again on the killer buds and awesome yield. My mistake earlier to all i meant was grams per watt...i was a little high after looking at your pics!!! next time i'll double check my post to make sure my heads not in the clouds.
cant wait to follow ur next thread. keep it growing

Thanks, no problem.
That's what I thought. No worries man.:smiley_joint:

Wow man, this is incredible. Thanks for doing such a good job of documenting everything with pics and updates. I just read through it all again and it's really easy to keep track of whats going on. I'm really looking forward to your next run, hopefully you'll be showing us your new verticle setup too. Still planning on putting some 2 kw bulbs to work?? Another thing that is really sick and didn't receive much attention is the Growtronix system. Looks fuckin top notch with all the levels of protection, sensors and data logging. Will you be using it in your new project? (I know, I know, I should just wait but I can't help it). Again, nice job and thanks for sharing.

Thanks!
Once construction starts on the vertical room I will put a thread up in the Grow Room Design and Setup forum to document the build. I don't think I will be able to use the 2k watt bulbs due to the fact that they have to be ignited by a digital ballast and the R/F from digital ballasts interfere with the Growtronix equipment. If I am able to find a monitoring system that is similar to Growtronix that is not effected by R/F then I might put the 2k watt bulbs in play. So far though it seems that one doesn't exist. bd

Confuten1

Confuten1

exploitin strengths - perfectin weaknessess
Supporter
View attachment 105324

View attachment 105325

Make the switch to House & Garden and thank me later! Trust me, you will never look back...bd

After much research and taking ur advise, Im rockin H&G nutes. Great thread man, spot on garden dude!!
Confu...

N

NugNation

I followed this grow from beginning to end and I haven't said shit cause I've been speechless the whole time. Ridiculous skills BD!! Can't wait to see your next show. One quick question, what was your average yield per plant?

E

ElViejo

Ben:

Have been following this post for 3 months. Awesome learning experience. I have a 9-pot UCE XL system from Current Culture and thanks to the advice from my local hydro store have been using House & Garden complete line plus CalMag. We are running 4 1000 watt bulbs. Our next step is to go to a UCE24 XXL13 24 pot system. We are just putting the final touches on our spec sheet.

We have been looking at going vertical with the Hortilux Mixed Arc 1000 watt bulbs for both veg and flower (600 W HPS / 400 W MH in a single bulb). It looks like your next room will be vert. With the results you got from this last grow, what prompts the change?

If I missed the discussion, just point me to the right place in the thread.

El Viejo

Nobodynobody

Nobodynobody

your set up is real clean. I have to agree how jack makes use look more into these UC systems.

joonie

joonie

I couldnt tell from the pictures. Are the ballasts inside the flowering rooms?

L

Labelle

Ben your system is awesome.. quick question: do you have a generator back up system in case your power goes out? If not, can anyone tell me how long the plants will survive in a straight UC system when power is lost? I am currently running a rock wool dwc/uc hybrid for the buffering capabilities should the power go out.. however I am unsure exactly how long the plants will survive with no power (stagnant water)

L

Labelle

Also, one more question, how did you figure out the size unit you needed to cool your volume of water. Does anyone know the number of BTUs it takes to cool say one gallon of water by 10 degrees F? I need to cool approx 300 gallons of water by ten degrees F and am wondering the size unit I will need. Additionally, can you tell me approximately the power consumption needed for this? Also, is your cooling pump running constantly or intermitantly? any help would be greatly appreciated. (PS.. I have read your entire thread and I have been in contact with hydro innovations regarding these questions as well)

R

RMCG

Labelle - How many lights in your system, the heat load needs to be taken in to account.

You could ~probably~ get away with a 1HP chiller (running constantly) for the 10* drop on 300 gallons. I would do a 1.5 or 2HP if you have high heat load or loss in your lines/pipes.

All chillers are NOT created equally though. Look for converted A/C (ebay has them, or Chillking units) something designed to handle running constantly.

Yes, the pump needs to run water through the chiller constantly, otherwise it will freeze and crack.

.8HP = 1T
1T=12000BTU/hr

1BTU = energy required to transfer heat in one pound of water(in or out), 1 degree.

Water weighs 8.32#/gallon.

Based on that, a 2T (1.6HP) chiller would drop your 300 gallons of water 10* in one hour. Depending on what you are 'putting back in' from your lights, pumps, etc. It should be able to 'keep up'.

Hope that helps.

L

Labelle

Thanks RMCG - that all makes sense. I am running 15 600w lights total.. they are flip-flopping back and forth every 12 hours between 7 and 8 lights.

Ben or anyone else on this thread:

Although the chill king products seem to be top of the line and work for what they are intended for.. it seems like there are way too many parts to the system that makes it way expensive and less effecient.

How I understand chill king systems to work:

In a separate coolant reservior (not the nutrient reservior or "epicenter"), water (or water mixed with antifreeze) is pumped through a chiller and back to the coolant reservior. From the same coolant reservior, another pump sends the "chilled" coolant through stainless steel tubing that is coiled in the nutrient reservior or "epicenter" thus finally transfering the heat out of the nutrient reservoir and back to the the coolant reservior where it is then "chilled" again. This does seem to work.. however, the following would seem way simpler and more efficient to me:

Just get a condenser pump (like the type used on any refrigorator) and run the closed loop through stainless steel lines. (this does require a refridgerant technition to pull a vacuum and weld the lines). This system has far less moving parts and thus far less points for potential faliure. It will achieve the same thing (cooling the nutrient water without it touching anything except stainless steel tubing)

I believe that the chill king system (along with other similar systems) are desiged this way so anyone can intall a custum water cooling system without needing a permited technition to pull a vaccuum and essentially install the system. any joe grower can run a regular water pump and attach to stainless steel tubing... but it really seems stupid (for lack of a better term) to get another reservior (that may need to be refilled and replenished), two more pumps (that may fail or clog over time), all to achieve the same thing. also, it is less efficient to cool two reserviors.. every step in the chain you will have some loss... the more steps the more loss.

Any thoughts on this matter are encouraged - I cant seem to think of any other reasons to use the chill king system over a simple condenser unit other than ease of installation.

I am currently designing a condensor unit to run straight into my "epicenter" with stainless steel tubing. It is a vacuum sealed closed loop refridgeration system to cool my UC water (with a thermostat shut off.. of course) Any reasons why I should not do this are greatly appreciated.

Also.. can anyone tell me why the 3/8" stainless steel tubing from Hydro Innovations is $150 for 20', while you can get 50' of 3/8" stainless steel tubing from grainger for $66?

Ben Derdundat

Ben Derdundat

really nice and sooooooooooo dank!!!!! Look forward to your next run....
large respect from switzerland!

Right on! Thanks!
Switzerland is great! Cheese, Chocolate and chicks. All three together make a great sandwich! MMMM... Switzerland...:tongueout

I followed this grow from beginning to end and I haven't said shit cause I've been speechless the whole time. Ridiculous skills BD!! Can't wait to see your next show. One quick question, what was your average yield per plant?

Nice, Thanks!
.88 lbs per plant bd

Ben:

Have been following this post for 3 months. Awesome learning experience. I have a 9-pot UCE XL system from Current Culture and thanks to the advice from my local hydro store have been using House & Garden complete line plus CalMag. We are running 4 1000 watt bulbs. Our next step is to go to a UCE24 XXL13 24 pot system. We are just putting the final touches on our spec sheet.

We have been looking at going vertical with the Hortilux Mixed Arc 1000 watt bulbs for both veg and flower (600 W HPS / 400 W MH in a single bulb). It looks like your next room will be vert. With the results you got from this last grow, what prompts the change?

If I missed the discussion, just point me to the right place in the thread.

El Viejo

I'm going with a vertical setup to keep plant numbers down and my GPW up. bd:angel

your set up is real clean. I have to agree how jack makes use look more into these UC systems.

Uuuhhhhh...... Thanks?:giggle

I couldnt tell from the pictures. Are the ballasts inside the flowering rooms?

They are located in my equipment room which is adjacent to one of my flower rooms. bd

Ben your system is awesome.. quick question: do you have a generator back up system in case your power goes out? If not, can anyone tell me how long the plants will survive in a straight UC system when power is lost? I am currently running a rock wool dwc/uc hybrid for the buffering capabilities should the power go out.. however I am unsure exactly how long the plants will survive with no power (stagnant water)

Thanks!
No, I do not have a generator for back up. Power outages are not a concern where I am located. Though I don't have any first hand experience in regards to how long a plant would survive in stagnant water I would assume that a plant could survive in stagnant water for 24 hours. Possibly longer if you weren't running a live system, meaning no biological additives i.e. Great White.

In regards to your chiller question, it looks like RMGC has you covered... bd:damnhippie:

Top Bottom