HPS light superior vs current led tech?

• Thread starter DIYDanny
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BlackRuss

BlackRuss

I'm looking to drop 300 in lights. Exhausting the heat will not be an issue if I get tubed hoods for mh and hps. Found a 1000w kit with both bulbs and vented hood for 260. Also found a single 315 cmh for 280.

I don't know which to buy. I want dense Buds in a packed 4x4 on fall phonics system. It will be right next to another 4x4 That I will build in the future. The incline cooled hoods will work great when I upgrade.. Idk about the CMHs.. I can't afford the 630 and I've read that's what I need for my 4x4.

I'm thinking just hps and mh for my price? I, doubt I'll have any complaints lol.. I want bulk fast.. Short veg times on hydro.
I used to run CMH as well before saving money and changing to LEDs. I had a doubleended 630W CMH from Iluminar Lighting which if I remember correctly was around 350$. It ran very well and for the almost 2 years that I used it, it was very consistent on highly dende yields

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

I used to run CMH as well before saving money and changing to LEDs. I had a doubleended 630W CMH from Iluminar Lighting which if I remember correctly was around 350$. It ran very well and for the almost 2 years that I used it, it was very consistent on highly dende yields
I'll spend that, I can't find them cheap for 110 power.. Gotta link lol? I'd much rather have a double 630. I gave up on price searching them.. I'll start looking again.

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

Light is Light, the only difference is the amount of electricity used to produce that light

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

I
Bull, photons are photons, spectrum only plays a role in plant morphology not quality or yield
So your saying it dont matter if you use a MH or HPS the entire grow? The yeild will be the exact same if the plant is untouched and grown with the exact same environmental conditions?

I dont understand photons but I do somewhat understand magnetic waves. Wouldnt a photons have a different effect at a different speed and intensity, aka different spectrum, or am I conflating the two? You could literally emit a photon that would burn right through the plant in theory, or one that would not be able to penetrate at all. Your saying the plant will adapt to it?

Just seems very . . .confusing since I dont understand par very well. Perhaps its something I will dive into lol. I mean it makes sense, but idk, I can imagine the majority might disagree? Or at least not understand as well?

Kissing.mary

Kissing.mary

i think LEDs are much superior in nearly all ways...apart from cost and 'fool proofness'

A lot of ppl fail to mention that LEDs begin to fail and loose efficient if they operate at temperatures over 90 Celsius. If your room is running anywhere close to 37 Celsius then the boards and chips will be running at nearly failing..

What that means is dimmer LEDs and if you want tot replace you might have to replace the full board.

With HPS and CMH id a fail occurs simply change a bulb....CMH bulbs can be expensive but still less than a LED board

Id personally go for an LED; do your research .... some are so good you can run them at 25-40% in veg all day and save loads on electricity and heat.

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

You can get two 240W Kingbright LEDs from Alibaba with your budget.
I looked on that site and couldnt figure out how to use it. Guess ill download the app :\ Its too late on this current 4x4 build. I ordered a 1000w mh and hps lol. Should be more than enough for my 4 plant top feed hydro. . . only one way to find out :) But yes, as soon as its done built, ill start on my other 4x4, which ill go fancy leds in.

This is my plan, well somewhat, using Tubes with shitty reflectors.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
There is something to spectrum. But I think it is also somewhat overblown.

I grew this with cheap single ended Chinese HPS lamps.
Screenshot 20210426 094340 Samsung Internet
It's flavor and potency is outstanding. Plus, the guy I got the genetics from grows the same strain with both fluence led and de hps, and honestly the de hps does as well or better. Has better penetration into the canopy for sure. And there is hardly any noticable difference in the smoke or bag appeal.

I think its splitting hairs to choose which grows better weed. The factors that matter are, heat produced and energy consumed. If you need that heat, hps is my choice. If growing in the warmer south, I'd choose LED. Granted that applies mostly to dedicated grow buildings. I think there is a strong argument for choosing LED for spare room tent grows.

Madmax

Madmax

I grew this with cheap single ended Chinese HPS lamps.View attachment 1117471 It's flavor and potency is outstanding. Plus, the guy I got the genetics from grows the same strain with both fluence led and de hps, and honestly the de hps does as well or better. Has better penetration into the canopy for sure. And there is hardly any noticable difference in the smoke or bag appeal.

I think its splitting hairs to choose which grows better weed. The factors that matter are, heat produced and energy consumed. If you need that heat, hps is my choice. If growing in the warmer south, I'd choose LED. Granted that applies mostly to dedicated grow buildings. I think there is a strong argument for choosing LED for spare room tent grows.
?

I grew this with cheap single ended Chinese HPS lamps.View attachment 1117471 It's flavor and potency is outstanding. Plus, the guy I got the genetics from grows the same strain with both fluence led and de hps, and honestly the de hps does as well or better. Has better penetration into the canopy for sure. And there is hardly any noticable difference in the smoke or bag appeal.

I have led now but i loved my de hps.just need a taller ceiling .buds they grow get huge.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
?

I have led now but i loved my de hps.just need a taller ceiling .buds they grow get huge.
That's another important consideration. BUT, my friend has been running his DE HID in adjustawings lately and that let's him get the lamps MUCH closer to the plants than the greenhouse reflectors they normally come with. Those boxy reflectors are designed to be mounted high in a greenhouse and cast the light in a fairly narrow pattern, and the hood traps heat like a mofo. Adjustawings and good airflow above the canopy let's my buddy drop the 750 DE down to within a foot or so from the plants.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

I

So your saying it dont matter if you use a MH or HPS the entire grow? The yeild will be the exact same if the plant is untouched and grown with the exact same environmental conditions?

I dont understand photons but I do somewhat understand magnetic waves. Wouldnt a photons have a different effect at a different speed and intensity, aka different spectrum, or am I conflating the two? You could literally emit a photon that would burn right through the plant in theory, or one that would not be able to penetrate at all. Your saying the plant will adapt to it?

Just seems very . . .confusing since I dont understand par very well. Perhaps its something I will dive into lol. I mean it makes sense, but idk, I can imagine the majority might disagree? Or at least not understand as well?

Metal halide produces about 100 lumens per watt and a high pressure sodium will produce about 150 lumens per watt. I don't know how much the spectrum plays a role in overall quality, but the yield can be attributed to the higher lumen output, not so much the spectrum, I believe.

I know people will say PAR is more important than lumens, but I'm just comparing MH to HPS in this instance. Lumens and PAR measure the same spectrum of light, from 400nm-700nm, the main difference is certain wavelengths are easier for the plants to absorb compared to others. Since hps yields more than mh, mh has a better spectrum with more usable blue (400-500nm), hps has more yellow(600nm) but hps has more lumen output overall, it goes to show that total lumen output is very important for yield, more so than spectrum. Just about every wavelength is used, but the green light will be reflected more than any other. No grow lights have much green in it anyways.

i hope that made sense lol

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

It is long proven even at nasa and university testing that intensity trumps spectrum for yield and quality.

What color spectrum can do is help customize the way the plants grow. Simply put blue light helps make plants short and leafy and red light tall and branchy.

it gets a lot more complicated than that when talking of specific light waves and their effect on photosynthesis and even Cannabinoids and terpenes but for our purpose proper coverage is first order.

315 cmh is said to give higher quality but in my tests the 600 hps beat it for yield and flower density and leaf to calyx ratio and no one could tell which was more potent or even which was which in testing.

don’t believe the hype! Only the amount of light on the grow space.

Top Bottom