Killing Autoflowers and Learning to Grow Organically :p

• Thread starter ajgrows
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Lilolme

Lilolme

Yeah, I'm leaning toward that. I'm going to try and fight them first, just for the learning lesson. I'm also wondering if they were in the OF soil bag and what's been inexplicably killing all my plants. In my neophyte mind, it seems to make sense since the plants all looked like they were damping off in a very dry environment. I never looked at any with the microscope before this one, to even see if there were root aphids. I did some research after seeing what CN thought was an aphid skin the other day so I top dressed with w/ cayenne after snapping the pics yesterday. My neighbor has Neem oil, and I'm also thinking of springing for some nematodes to water in. I have always used fresh pots and soil on each attempt, but I'm definitely pitching this one if I can't eradicate them.
Sticky bug traps are my best friends in my grow they go out from day one and stay till the end. Its easier to head off infestations if you start at the beginning. Don’t bother with spray stuff, hydrogen peroxide, sand on the soil, I have tried all that you gotta catch the bugs and interrupt their reproductive cycle on a regular basis

ajgrows

ajgrows

Sticky bug traps are my best friends in my grow they go out from day one and stay till the end. Its easier to head off infestations if you start at the beginning. Don’t bother with spray stuff, hydrogen peroxide, sand on the soil, I have tried all that you gotta catch the bugs and interrupt their reproductive cycle on a regular basis
Yeah. Either I didn't apply enough cayenne or it's bullshit. They're just running through it.

ajgrows

ajgrows

Do you place any on the floor of the tent or just in the pots? If they're not in the soil, we either brought them inside somehow or they're just in my basement (which seems odd) and are finding the plants.

Lilolme

Lilolme

Do you place any on the floor of the tent or just in the pots? If they're not in the soil, we either brought them inside somehow or they're just in my basement (which seems odd) and are finding the plants.
How and why they show up is a great mystery to me, I think most pests are drawn by the lights and of course moisture. Were they in the soil or attracted to it, plants emit hormones when they are in poor health, were they attracted to that, do you shower frequently, so many possibilities. I put the sticky traps right in the pots and fly traps higher up in the heat of the lights. I live in the country so bugs are just a part of life, sticky traps

ajgrows

ajgrows

How and why they show up is a great mystery to me, I think most pests are drawn by the lights and of course moisture. Were they in the soil or attracted to it, plants emit hormones when they are in poor health, were they attracted to that, do you shower frequently, so many possibilities. I put the sticky traps right in the pots and fly traps higher up in the heat of the lights. I live in the country so bugs are just a part of life, sticky traps
Yeah, definitely a challenge to figure out. I've moved the pot out of the tent and will try the few natural remedies I've come across and see if any of them work.
Careful, if those are South American root aphids you're just seasoning the soil. 😉
Omg so bad

ajgrows

ajgrows

I found this locally and am going to try applying to the 5g pot. I'm afraid the amount of water might kill the plant but I want to see if this stuff is actually effective at killing the aphids.

Death to Aphids

HighRootz

HighRootz

Gotta attack the source as well as disrupt their reproductive cycle. Spray for ants all around the perimeter of your house as well as your basement. I wouldn't doubt ants brought them inside. Set out ant traps around the house after you spray, get the ones that kill off the nest. It's a circle of life. The aphids eat your roots up/suck up leaf juices and the ants eat the aphid shit. Rinse and repeat.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Get a new pot and fill it 98% with Lush. Add the correct amount of Recharge. Mix well. Fill the pot up to 1/2 inch under the top.
Put it in the tent and water it. Get rid of the old pot, soil, aphids and all of it.
DO NOT ADD ANYTHING ELSE TO THE NEW SOIL. Just the recharge. That is all it needs. Nothing else.
Germ a seed, plant it. You know how to do this. You keep adding more and more to it. It really IS this simple. Really.

ajgrows

ajgrows

Day NINE! It's a new record 😯 This wobbly gurl needs to get some meat on her bones and fatten up! I keep waiting to open the tent and see her in limp mode. I kicked the light up to 340 µmols, sitting about 22" from the leaves. Almost a 21 DLI, so still on the low side. I am going to keep an eye on the leaves for signs of stress/burn and slowly increase into the 400s as she gets bigger.

I didn't scope to confirm, but one possible reason I had so many deaths could be the OF soil was the source of the root aphids. I don't know how likely that is though 🤷‍♂️. This seedling pot is the first I've run with just HF, and I check it every day for pests w/ the scope and have found nothing. Possibility two is the unfiltered water from the basement spigot I was using. Either way I'm happy she's gotten this far (yeah, I know it's not really that far 🤦‍♂️), and I might even name her this week 😜. I've decided to use 1 gal pots going forward. The glory of a bigger yield from a 5g pot sounds great, but A) I think it should l be easier to learn and understand the wet/dry cycle better, and B) I like to interact a lot, so I can water more frequently w/ the smaller size.

IMG 5711

I banished the 5g pot to the corner of my back yard patio and treated it with the Safer soap above and some horticultural oil on Thursday. To my surprise, it's still alive after the first treatment application. I'll scope it later today and see how the pest population looks. I don't want to bring anything into the tent because I'm going to sterilize it today, so I'll leave this to run outside and see how it responds to the hot muggy Midwest environment. Love me some experiments lol

IMG 5707

Lilolme

Lilolme

Day NINE! It's a new record 😯 This wobbly gurl needs to get some meat on her bones and fatten up! I keep waiting to open the tent and see her in limp mode. I kicked the light up to 340 µmols, sitting about 22" from the leaves. Almost a 21 DLI, so still on the low side. I am going to keep an eye on the leaves for signs of stress/burn and slowly increase into the 400s as she gets bigger.

I didn't scope to confirm, but one possible reason I had so many deaths could be the OF soil was the source of the root aphids. I don't know how likely that is though 🤷‍♂️. This seedling pot is the first I've run with just HF, and I check it every day for pests w/ the scope and have found nothing. Possibility two is the unfiltered water from the basement spigot I was using. Either way I'm happy she's gotten this far (yeah, I know it's not really that far 🤦‍♂️), and I might even name her this week 😜. I've decided to use 1 gal pots going forward. The glory of a bigger yield from a 5g pot sounds great, but A) I think it should l be easier to learn and understand the wet/dry cycle better, and B) I like to interact a lot, so I can water more frequently w/ the smaller size.

View attachment 1170062

I banished the 5g pot to the corner of my back yard patio and treated it with the Safer soap above and some horticultural oil on Thursday. To my surprise, it's still alive after the first treatment application. I'll scope it later today and see how the pest population looks. I don't want to bring anything into the tent because I'm going to sterilize it today, so I'll leave this to run outside and see how it responds to the hot muggy Midwest environment. Love me some experiments lol

View attachment 1170061
Take that kickstand off your encouraging the plant to be weak there is absolutely no need for it backfill against the stem if you must fuck with it

ajgrows

ajgrows

Much better. And the helmet that still hasn't fallen off is below the surface now, so she will be eating her own womb at some point 🤣

IMG 5713

ajgrows

ajgrows

I have. I'm leaving town for a couple days later this week, so I hand watered to see how many days it will go before it dries out.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

I have. I'm leaving town for a couple days later this week, so I hand watered to see how many days it will go before it dries out.
It will last at least 3 days in that cup.
Where is your soil meter?

Top Bottom