Lack of Vertical Integration Will Kill the Basement Grower

• Thread starter Bud Spleefman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
pRiMo303

pRiMo303

Anyones taste in beer isn't the point. If you think for a second any major brewery couldn't replicate ANY micro brew made you are crazy. The money just isn't there for them to care. They don't think in millions they think in billions. the micro breweries have found a nice niche market for themselves but they also know the limits of what they can charge. If you can pick up a six pack of shock tops for x amount you might be willing to pay twice that much for the beer you want, but would you pay 100 times as much? hydroponic production facilities could easily produce really good product at an incedibly low price. Not to mention the ability they would have to crank out concentrates from every last scrap. Pre rolls with hash crumbles added for 6 bucks a pack, or 60 bucks an eighth that you can roll into a couple joints. And for the record I would like to say sorry if I offended any beer drinkers with my comments. I dont drink so I didn't know shock top wasn't great beer! I just see my beer snob friends drinking it from time to time but have been informed today that it was good but not great. It all tastes like hot garbage to me!

No, you are absolutely right..shock top is garbage. And though I've never paid 100x as much I've certainly paid 10x. Dogfish head 120 min or Avery Mestophales-$12 &$10/12oz bottle, respectively.

KitsapGrapeApe

KitsapGrapeApe

So I guess a guy who can help people grow their dank for less and less money will do pretty well in such an environment, correct?

If this is how the market is going to go, then selling growing gear to them is going to be a profitable niche.
yeah but what person setting up a 2000 light grow is gonna buy a $250 ballast or $70 hortilux bulb? non they're gonna go mfg direct and what mfg is gonna say no i won't sell you 2000 units?

Dopegeist

Dopegeist

^^^Depends. Some people have more money than sense, others more sense than money. Hurdles we've all gone through, just on different scales.
How many dispensaries COULD set up mfg direct accounts but don't and just have their rather large discount at the Hydro store. When running a business everything has a cost, even buying direct. Good businesses figure out when it's in their best interest to 'get a deal' or to farm it out.

You gonna spend your time doing that? Hire a purchaser at 60k/yr? After that it may be worth it to pay the middle man.

Packaged deals will start being more common though. Sell the gear and the expertise together for the money endowed without the know how.
"Yeah it costs a little more, but you have 24/7 access to our crisis hotline and online Cannabis Infirmary, seed bank, ect." :)

Unit541

Unit541

There will ALWAYS be a boutique market. All 2000 light warehouses accomplish with $500/lb mulch, is further separate good weed from bad. You can buy a 6 pack of swisher sweets for like $3.69, but there's still a market for $100 cigars.

And imagine what the grower does if a 2000 light warehouse gets bugs, or mold, or herm... They do nothing. They let it finish, dry it, wrap it, and send it out the door. It makes no sense from a business perspective to trash 80k square foot of crop. This is why they'll be slinging shit at $500/oz. Price is the one selling point they'll have because at that scale, not even the best growers of cannabis in the world can make it "be all it can be". Anything over that and they won't move enough to keep the lights on. And while there's that crowd that only buys when it's on sale for $3.69 a gram, we all know "that guy" who just wants the best he can get.

Keep your shit tight, and everything will be alright.

mayonnaise

mayonnaise

how much do you think that growers of that tobacco for that elusive 100 dollar cigar are gonna get? after transport, customs,processing and retail mark ups maybe a couple dollars a pound. Outdoor was 4500 to 5000 a lb in the not to distant past. You can't get that for indoor fire now. Every med state that enters the market will drag the price slowly down. Forget about 2000 light warehouses we revolve around a giant light that turns on and off every day without a timer. It shines through glass and plastic and works for free. I'm not trying to crash everyones world down around them, i'm just being realistic. the market will still be good for YEARS, but even without legalization the profit margin on small grows will slowly head south. Just be ready, and grow because you love to grow!

squiggly

squiggly

If Cali even had a slight chance of turning Red this next election.. they would be leaving you alone like Colorado. They don't fuck with swing states. I really think they were hoping Colorado would go Blue with the legalization of weed and if that ever happens then the raids will start here.

More People Voted for Marijuana than Obama... 2014 should be entertaining as i know i'm done voting for the gun grabbers. Colorado Must resist becoming Cali... We must convert Californians into Coloradans not the other way around.

End of the day who really gives a shit about guns?

If the government really turned against the citizens they wouldn't need to take our guns to assfuck us. The military is perfectly capable of doing that now, regardless of what weaponry we have.

KitsapGrapeApe

KitsapGrapeApe

i love pie i'm a fat fuck. i like guns too, i actually don't have any though. now that my wife and i don't drink anymore i should get some asap. i'm sure there will be plenty of pie in this thing for me. i doubt shit will go straight legal anytime soon.

bonkia

bonkia

Ligt depos are ending the indoor grower... Everyone is passing off light dept as indoor and well... Some even looks better! Soo, I bought one and yep..... It looks as good if not better then my indoor.. At a fraction of the cost. I see no massive warehouses in the future.. IMO you want good cheap outdoor NorCal.. Bomb indoor mostly socal. Light depo the looks like indoor... NorCal, we are coming up again! Lol

NaturalTherapy

NaturalTherapy

Lighthouse
Supporter
"In the lead-up to the referenda in Mexico and Colorado, the Mexican Competitiveness Institute released a study estimating that Mexico’s cartels would lose $1.425 billion if the initiative passed in Colorado and $1.372 billion if Washington voted to legalize."
Of course the RAND Corp had a different take, but interesting nonetheless.
I foresee, as an unintended consequence of drug legalization, an influx of human trafficking to cover the loss of drug revenue

Darth Fader

Darth Fader

So ditch the throwies and get a few cfls for personal & slang rock where there's still good markup. Lol

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

I foresee, as an unintended consequence of drug legalization, an influx of human trafficking to cover the loss of drug revenue
Also amnesty in the US is causing a rush to the border and fueling that human trafficking..

J-fly

J-fly

There is still cheap wine and fine wine so I think there will always be a niche market. Colorado has more small businesses than any other state in the Country. People here dislike giant corporations and would rather support their neighbors. I feel like the cannabis crowd is especially finicky about stuff like this. There will always be a market for connoisseur quality cannabis in small batches and new flavors made with love. Also its a product that always needs to be replenished so theres a huge market. I aint scared

squiggly

squiggly

There is still cheap wine and fine wine so I think there will always be a niche market.

I totally agree--but as of right now there are too many growers to fit into the concept of the word "niche".

My suggestion is that SOME people are going to be put out of business by this and should plan accordingly--not that ALL of them will be shut down.

J-fly

J-fly

Those "SOME" people will be the ones with lower quality and common strains

Latest posts

Top Bottom