Landrace Grow In Sealed Room/co2 With Led

• Thread starter Homesteader
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
robomont

robomont

last year in texas it looked like legalization was coming.complete legalization.bill made it to the governors desk.to get ahead of the curve for opening a planned shop.i had close to 70 going in pots,3g and 5 gs and 20g.
i got halfway into budstage when the planes started coming in.so i ended up dumping it all on methheads who traded to a dab maker.made me so sick to lose that.lost all my mexican strains in the process.oh well texas lost more than i did.i could have really blessed the state.

H

hawkman

thats what im trying to find out is most bang for the buck.as all plants can be forced.i dont really understand natural.ive read that some breeds have a max height but really,if you started a plant inside and placed outside in may,i suspect any plant would be 8-10 ft tall by october.am i wrong in that belief?
if thats true then its basically about time versus yield.i do say my five gallon pot friends have way bigger yields than me and my 3 gallon pots but they have to wait longer to harvest.is there a optimum pot size?
looking at realstyles room,it looks like 5 gallon pots but some of you guys look to be using like 30gallon plus.but your yields are amazing.i dont want to wait 6 months for a harvest unless the time to yield is worth the wait.i am willing to wait.just looking for efficiency.any help appreciated.
Reference - "Marijuana Business Magazine" vol #33 - issue 5- Sep-Oct 2016 (article on more pot's / more plant's vs bigger pot's fewer plants)

Ecompost

Ecompost

growing big plants under artificial light is likely a waste of time imo. Artificial lamps lack the penetrative power to equalize light falling over the entire plant when we are considering any vertical plane.
Landrace plants should be grown in keeping with a natural cycle imo, and so i dont grow many indoors unless i know they are shorter strains. I have grown larger plants but i germ and flip these, eg no veg time to save my bending twisting and otherwise stressing the plant which could be a bit out of touch with practices common to hybrids.
I think its better to run smaller plants, shorter veg, more times a year. If you grow in a 3gallon pot with organics, this is about 20L in the EU, you should have plenty of media, and depending on the CEC and innate mix of NPK etc, this may already be enough for may strains, esp many landrace plants that have grown and evolved in poorer soils without NPK more often than not. Esp say Afgahn plants typically grown in high Na media in the wild. A consequence of the Knutson Dam building in the 1950's which raised the water table and flooded inland areas with sea water.
Most of my indoor plants after a 2 week veg time end up at the height they say they should, so anywhere from 80-160cm is what i look for in and indoor strain. I have grown longer blooming haze plants, again flipped at germ so they dont end up the 3m beasts they might otherwise be.
9-10 week hybrid in 3gallong or 20L of good organic media, watered well with good light will reach it potential with a 2-4 week veg, there isnt any need to do an 8-10 week veg imo, i would still run 6 but more times a year. Long veg doenst mean high output, thats in the genes and the style of the grower plays a small part also :-)
I would never grow a landrace plant without biology, indoors or out. If i could, and where i can, i would try to take a sample of media locally and test it for biology replicating this where and if possible. Like Homesteader, i would be selective ahead of time, and then after germination also.
I would have some base rules also...
EG, I wouldnt waste my time growing a landrace Hawaiian, since I dont have AEC media, I have CEC :-)

Homesteader

Homesteader

growing big plants under artificial light is likely a waste of time imo. Artificial lamps lack the penetrative power to equalize light falling over the entire plant when we are considering any vertical plane.

This why I think you almost need to grow using scrog if you are striving for consistent and uniform buds. You can spread that growth on a horizontal plane in veg and train the plants to grow into the first scrog screen. Once the first screen is filled up, that is when I will switch to 12/12. Anytime before that and I am losing out on yield and will have gaps and holes where bud sites could have been.

H

hawkman

Landrace plants should be grown in keeping with a natural cycle imo, and so i dont grow many indoors unless i know they are shorter strains. I have grown larger plants but i germ and flip these, eg no veg time to save my bending twisting and otherwise stressing the plant which could be a bit out of touch with practices common to hybrids.
I think its better to run smaller plants, shorter veg, more times a year. If you grow in a 3gallon pot with organics, this is about 20L in the EU, you should have plenty of media, and depending on the CEC and innate mix of NPK etc, this may already be enough for may strains, esp many landrace plants that have grown and evolved in poorer soils without NPK more often than not. Esp say Afgahn plants typically grown in high Na media in the wild. A consequence of the Knutson Dam building in the 1950's which raised the water table and flooded inland areas with sea water.
Most of my indoor plants after a 2 week veg time end up at the height they say they should, so anywhere from 80-160cm is what i look for in and indoor strain. I have grown longer blooming haze plants, again flipped at germ so they dont end up the 3m beasts they might otherwise be.
9-10 week hybrid in 3gallong or 20L of good organic media, watered well with good light will reach it potential with a 2-4 week veg, there isnt any need to do an 8-10 week veg imo, i would still run 6 but more times a year. Long veg doenst mean high output, thats in the genes and the style of the grower plays a small part also :)
I would never grow a landrace plant without biology, indoors or out. If i could, and where i can, i would try to take a sample of media locally and test it for biology replicating this where and if possible. Like Homesteader, i would be selective ahead of time, and then after germination also.
I would have some base rules also...
EG, I wouldnt waste my time growing a landrace Hawaiian, since I dont have AEC media, I have CEC :)
Great information - you have changed my thinking on cultivation - one all ways wants large yields

H

hawkman

This why I think you almost need to grow using scrog if you are striving for consistent and uniform buds. You can spread that growth on a horizontal plane in veg and train the plants to grow into the first scrog screen. Once the first screen is filled up, that is when I will switch to 12/12. Anytime before that and I am losing out on yield and will have gaps and holes where bud sites could have been.
Sounds like one should only do a 4 week veg instead of 60 days - but going by this:
Germination stage - 3-10 days
Seedling stage - 1-2 weeks (pre- veg)
Veg stage 1-3 mos's (30 days being the norm)
Pre-flower stage - 1-2 weeks (generally 7-10 days)
Flower stage 1-4 mos's (depends on strain) (2 mo's being the average)

Ecompost

Ecompost

Sounds like one should only do a 4 week veg instead of 60 days - but going by this:
Germination stage - 3-10 days
Seedling stage - 1-2 weeks (pre- veg)
Veg stage 1-3 mos's (30 days being the norm)
Pre-flower stage - 1-2 weeks (generally 7-10 days)
Flower stage 1-4 mos's (depends on strain) (2 mo's being the average)
just think of your energy savings too, not having to run that extra 30 days at 18/6

Ecompost

Ecompost

yes I like scrog and have used it, but I like shorter veg times so typically dont need to net them. I also tend to grow anything, I dont have a plant I keep about that often, there are about 30K strains, so i guess I will never run out of new plants to grow or at least look at. I dont do it for commercial purposes but i doubt I get too bad a yield from most of my plants, ranging from 84-196g per plant. I dont grow for yield, but I have been doing it a while now so if its in the plant, i hope I can drag it out. I have had some huge plants in my time but average figures are as above. I run about 5 harvests a year indoors, and most of the time I am running 12/12 not 18/6 esp on the higher wattage technology. I am organic, this doesnt tally if i am then pouring in watts sourced from fossil fuels for hours on end. but it does still require the up most attention to quality.
if i net a plant these days, its usually a height control measure. I have a rare old skool dutch haze running now that is huge, its netted not scrogged. its summer so i would have preferred it did a x3 and not a x5 transition but sometimes the notes arent clear ;-) when the heat is high, I just like a hit of extra headroom :)

H

hawkman

just think of your energy savings too, not having to run that extra 30 days at 18/6
A 60 day veg is really a 30 day when you figure - pre-veg stage - seedling, and germination stage so to get a 60 veg one needs to veg for 2.5 mos' - that's to get a "true veg time" Vegation stage start when there are 4-5 sets of "true' leaves

Homesteader

Homesteader

You both are discussing timelines that really aren't quantitative IMO. Entirely depends on lighting, strain and medium. On the Colombian for instance, it is growing at such tight nodes under my LED that the veg is taking much longer compared to the veg of the Mexican which is branching much more heavily, and wasn't as stressed by being topped. Either way, the lights don't get flipped until most of the bottom screen on the scrog is filled regardless of how long the time frame has been. LST slows down some strains more than others as well.

Last edited:
H

hawkman

You both are discussing timelines that really aren't quantitative IMO. Entirely depends on lighting, strain and medium. On the Colombian for instance, it is growing at such tight nodes under my LED that the veg is taking much longer compared to the veg of the Mexican which is branching much more heavily, and wasn't as stressed by being topped. Either way, the lights don't get flipped until most of the bottom screen on the scrog is filled regardless of how long the time frame has been. LST slows down some strains more than others as well.
Thanks "Homesteader" - How true that is -

Homesteader

Homesteader

Four of the plants are ready! So 12/12 starts today. I also wanted to attach a photo of this tape I have been using called parafilm grafting tape. Strains snap differently, this stuff is the shit to fix your fuck ups or graft your scion. It is stretchy and only sticks to itself, and as the plants knuckle is created, the tape breaks apart. It is plastic though.
IMG 20160915 142117

IMG 20160913 093749

Latest posts

Top Bottom