Please identify . Found them on top of soil

• Thread starter Creativepatron
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
mrclownprince

mrclownprince

Looked like a small tick. So small tick = mite. But that is just guestimation.

Flexnerb

Flexnerb

The don't have fliers...look I believe they have a symbiotic relationship with fungus gnats. I believe they catch rides with fungus gnats because they rely on fungus and decay as food. Bees get mites and transport them , this is not beyond imagination.
DON"T USE IMID , it makes mites lay more eggs.
Sulphur , malathion, pyrethium if you roots can handle it.
Sulfur kills every might even scabies in humans. These little fuckers due to them living in soil have had every pesticide we ever invented . Pyrethium knocks out eggs.
They use sulfur to keep the infestation out of bulbs, it always works but is less effective as a control.
Did a sulfur and malathion dip and it was the only thing that got rid of the crawlers...I am gonna follow with Met fungus and pyrethium once my root zone is healthier.
No root aphids burrow into the root and eat the nutrients the plant is trying to uptake.

They have no relationship with fungus gnats.

There is much misinformation here.

Everything I wrote about root aphids is from university and industry agriculture guides.

And the advice I took here was from an educated and experienced grower with a degree and a job as groundskeeper as well. @Dirtbag

Lol...they push out the fungus gnat...ive had fungus gnats since i firstvgrew 3 years ago...ive never fully gotten rid of them till now and replaced with the root aphid...what a nice insect!!

Thats a guess now...it seems they pushed the gnats out and took over...im getting rove beetles and nematodes ill bag these little bastards...oh, update, i poured 91% alcohol...only disoriented it for 5 to ten minutes. Fucker was still alive yo!! Wtf....i had to kill it..lol

Flexnerb

Flexnerb

Heres pics of the root aphids i have...100% identified i can see thevtell tale ridgesnon the back in a video. Unfortunately I can't upload it.

20200917 214424
20200917 214423
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Heres pics of the root aphids i have...100% identified i can see thevtell tale ridgesnon the back in a video. Unfortunately I can't upload it.
Dude those are Hypoaspis miles, theyre a beneficial predator mite. Those are not root aphids, RA's have a more truncated head.

Flexnerb

Flexnerb

Lol dude those are Hypoasis miles, a beneficial predator mite. Those are not root aphids, RA's have a more truncated head.
No! Dirtbag i have a video...they're 110% root aphids. If you seen the video you would most likely agree

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
Spider mites
What kind of spider mites genius?

I didn't go to all that trouble of making the video for someone to tell me there just spidermites. LOL

I'm looking for someone who's got experience differentiating them. Tetranychidae, which includes about 1,200 species.

Flexnerb

Flexnerb

What kind of spider mites genius?

I didn't go to all that trouble of making the video for someone to tell me there just spidermites. LOL

I'm looking for someone who's got experience differentiating them. Tetranychidae, which includes about 1,200 species.

Seems diapausing females go into soil..still reading

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
H-miles is a soil mite that lives in the soil and eats things like fungus gnat larvae. If that pic is what you have, you have H-miles and it's a good thing.
That's what I took from those pictures, looks like a predator that was eating on something in the soil, so beneficical, if I'm not mistaken. But he indicated they were slow, so that is concerning.

Bug identification is indeed a complicated subject to say the least.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I should also say, it's possible to have both RA's and H-miles I suppose, but I'd have to see a pic to confirm, the one posted is H-miles.

That's what I took from those pictures, looks like a predator that was eating on something in the soil, so beneficical, if I'm not mistaken. But he indicated they were slow, so that is concerning.

They were probably just full with larvae lol. Slow is concerning but how slow.. I'd like to see the video he mentions. Everything he has said and shown so far suggests h-miles.

People come to this site as a reference when they have problems and I just dont want anyone to get confused though, those pics he posted are 1000% not root aphids.

Flexnerb

Flexnerb

Thats funny cuz some zip around these are fastervthan the others...ill try and get photos instead of video..ill hush til then sorry op for blowin your shit up yo

Top Bottom