Quantum boards???

• Thread starter BigCube
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Sorry I was actually trying to quote @BigCube. And explain to him why we don’t care about lumens and why he shouldn’t either.

Epistar diodes are the reason most ppl think led is trash. Why I specified when getting from kingbright to get the Cree red diodes.

I have heard good things about the mars hydro ts. Ppfd was nice migrow on YouTube showed that using quantum meter.
No need to say sorry... Even if you weren't right.. which you are.

BigCube

BigCube

Sorry I was actually trying to quote @BigCube. And explain to him why we don’t care about lumens and why he shouldn’t either.

Epistar diodes are the reason most ppl think led is trash. Why I specified when getting from kingbright to get the Cree red diodes.

I have heard good things about the mars hydro ts. Ppfd was nice migrow on YouTube showed that using quantum meter. Still better options for the price tho.

Lumens were the only constant measurement I could find on my lunch break looking at a few data sheets. They don't always give you ppfd or other measurements.

While I agree with you, lumens are for humans. And par will get you far. That vastly larger number in lumans must also by necessity mean a larger number for par ppfd unimol whatever you want to use.

I personally always use par IF IT IS AVAILABLE.... no need to explain to me.

dextr0

dextr0

Lumens were the only constant measurement I could find on my lunch break looking at a few data sheets. They don't always give you ppfd or other measurements.

While I agree with you, lumens are for humans. And par will get you far. That vastly larger number in lumans must also by necessity mean a larger number for par ppfd unimol whatever you want to use.

I personally always use par IF IT IS AVAILABLE.... no need to explain to me.

See this is why I say sorry and am polite. If you read how long I been around and how I talk you’ll see I take things personally.
Trying to change my ways because I find it more detrimental than helpful when I get into it with ppl.

Seems to me if your going by lumens you do need the explanation. You still don’t understand the why. Fact is if they’ve got no ppfd they are trying to run game in my opinion.

Respects,
Dex

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

You get the exact same diodes and drivers from kingbright for half the cost. I'm all for buying hlg as I have myself because I want a company I can go back to and a warranty I trust. But in terms of product they are virtually identical.

I thought HLG had special boards made to their spec. The layout is different?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I thought HLG had special boards made to their spec. The layout is different?
Yes there may be some differences in composition of the boards. I cannot say if there is or not. However I have never seen or heard of this having caused a failure for hlg or other. Its not a functioning part of the light so can't see any impact on performance. The only thing possible I can see is the conductivity of heat difference. But like I say have not heard of a single failure due to the boards.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Yes there may be some differences in composition of the boards. I cannot say if there is or not. However I have never seen or heard of this having caused a failure for hlg or other. Its not a functioning part of the light so can't see any impact on performance. The only thing possible I can see is the conductivity of heat difference. But like I say have not heard of a single failure due to the boards.

The owners of those companies are on riu and have threads. I remember him saying (2 versions ago) that the diodes are spaced out differently for more even spread of light and that standard boards were not as good.

basscaptain

basscaptain

The owners of those companies are on riu and have threads. I remember him saying (2 versions ago) that the diodes are spaced out differently for more even spread of light and that standard boards were not as good.
I said I would not post here BUT real fast when you go over and look at my day you will see the DIff...... 301H in my 3x3 is a hlg knock off look at the diff to the other 2

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Oh yes spacing is a consideration I though you were talking material.

I just looked them up and the boards dimensions appear to be the same as far as I can tell. But that may not be all of them off Alibaba. Just looked at hlg 288 and kingbrite 288

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Oh yes spacing is a consideration I though you were talking material.

I just looked them up and the boards dimensions appear to be the same as far as I can tell. But that may not be all of them off Alibaba. Just looked at hlg 288 and kingbrite 288

Yeah i just answered on Bass’ thread but it looks like the original boards were spaced differently but now they are all using the new samsung board.

I said it on the other thread but this fact makes hlg the biggest ripoff out there.

They should get higher prices because they were first to re- purpose a cheap retail storefront light board.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Yeah i just answered on Bass’ thread but it looks like the original boards were spaced differently but now they are all using the new samsung board.

I said it on the other thread but this fact makes hlg the biggest ripoff out there.

They should get higher prices because they were first to re- purpose a cheap retail storefront light board.
As with most tech... The Asian markets grab hold and use already developed stuff then produce it way cheaper. Usually the parts are also cheaper but not in this case

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

As with most tech... The Asian markets grab hold and use already developed stuff then produce it way cheaper. Usually the parts are also cheaper but not in this case

Lol its asian tech. We stole it and repurposed it and they still will make more money on the idea.

Light boards were produced to light retail space at a high cri originally.

The adding far red and making it a proper grow light is relatively new.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Lol its asian tech. We stole it and repurposed it and they still will make more money on the idea.

Haha I did not know that. Good to learn.

justiceman

justiceman

Still trying to wrap my head around the addition of far red recently to the boards and how they compare to boards without them

• Samsung LM301H at 3500k
or
  • Samsung LM301H at 3500k + Cree XP E-2 660nm
With the addition of those Cree chips the price definitely goes up. 🤔

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Still trying to wrap my head around the addition of far red recently to the boards and how they compare to boards without them

or

From what i have read. The far red has little effect other than marketing but the addition of the red peak stronger now than the too wide blue peak previously will give better flowering results.

“White” or natural looking led diodes are really blue and phosphor coated like flourescents. I think the addition of true reds would be very helpful.

Oh as far as color temp. I would go the lowest. 2700k for flowering. 3000 if i needed full cycle. Because to the plant the light is still blue and cool temp. All i keep seeing is way leafy buds. I dont want more bud leaves. The 3100k cmh still has too much blue for flowering in my opinion. I liked it better with hps too.

Mr.jiujitsu

Mr.jiujitsu

or

i have noticed significant increase in tricrome production and overall better flowering since strong about 100w of red and far red. I believe the increase in hight during flower is reduced, which took a little adjusting to.

BigCube

BigCube

See this is why I say sorry and am polite. If you read how long I been around and how I talk you’ll see I take things personally.
Trying to change my ways because I find it more detrimental than helpful when I get into it with ppl.

Seems to me if your going by lumens you do need the explanation. You still don’t understand the why. Fact is if they’ve got no ppfd they are trying to run game in my opinion.

Respects,
Dex

The thing is DeX. I do understand. I just told you I prefer using par as a measurement. It wasn't available for both LEDs in the data sheets I could find on my lunch break. The only variable available for comparison was lumens. Jesus man. Maybe read what I typed?

What explanation is it you think I need?
Something I've known longer than ive been on this forum? Some of my first posts are talking about par and ppfd man.

Look it's simple. The light is say 2700k. If the lumens are 50% higher, by necessity the par (ppfd) will be higher.

I honestly dont get what it is you think you're trying to "explain" to me.

Last edited:
BigCube

BigCube

From what i have read. The far red has little effect other than marketing but the addition of the red peak stronger now than the too wide blue peak previously will give better flowering results.

“White” or natural looking led diodes are really blue and phosphor coated like flourescents. I think the addition of true reds would be very helpful.

Oh as far as color temp. I would go the lowest. 2700k for flowering. 3000 if i needed full cycle. Because to the plant the light is still blue and cool temp. All i keep seeing is way leafy buds. I dont want more bud leaves. The 3100k cmh still has too much blue for flowering in my opinion. I liked it better with hps too.

Yeah definitely looking at the 2700k would be for flower only. The only 2700k I can find at that price is prebuilt. Few more days left no the sale, so I'm probably going to get them today or tomorrow. I'm just not keen in Alibaba. No PayPal they want my CC directly...

Top Bottom