The art of selling (to dispensaries and others)

• Thread starter t7rln
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Blaze

Blaze

I agree. If you are paying more than 4k a lb for pot in Cali, even if it is top of the line indoor, your getting gyped. There's a sucker born every minute though...

B

Bayareaballer

The top club owners will pay 4K for quality. If they are serious about competing and having the best meds, its a no brainer. Some clubs only stock 10 different strains, which sucks.

O

OZUT

The market is all screwed up for reasons already mentioned on here. Something not mentioned (or at least I didn't notice it) is that people don't know what they got and are blinded by a couple of bills. Also, you gotta be fair with your pricing. If the place has a $50 or $45 cap which a lot of places now have, you can't honestly expect too much from that place. It's gotta be worth it to them. $50 an 1/8 means they're making $400 an ounce and that's assuming they sell it an 1/8 at a time because a lot of places with $50 a cap will give patients an ounce special anywhere from $320-$350. Now why would the dude pay you $250 an ounce ($4,000 lb) only to resell it for $320-$350? Those places will push the meds they got for a lot less because their profit is higher considering their cap. Having said that, if you got what their patients want, they'll give you more simply because they resell more even if they make less. It balances out at the end, but then you gotta be able to supply a good amount because the patients come to expect it and you can't have it on the menu for a week then off for 2 months then back for a week.

Then you get the idiots that think their stuff is gold and ask for ridiculous amounts they've only heard about.

My 2 cents is to find a place that wants your stuff and whatever they give you is fair for both of you and stick with that place. Don't be a vendor whore (no offense to anyone). I think their has to be that loyalty factor. Sometimes you'll have a grow that's not as perfect as a previous one and rest assured you'll be taken care of because of your relationship

S

shagy64221

CA Prices

You can donate lbs. here for 900.00/1200.00 for lowend meds. Med grade go for 1200.00/2000.00 and high grades 2000.00/3800.00. You would have to have a VERY RARE strain or new one to get 4000.00 and up. Also here is about 20 collectives in town,the lowest price is 15.00 1/8 and the avg. is about 60 1/8 ..

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
You can donate lbs. here for 900.00/1200.00 for lowend meds. Med grade go for 1200.00/2000.00 and high grades 2000.00/3800.00. You would have to have a VERY RARE strain or new one to get 4000.00 and up. Also here is about 20 collectives in town,the lowest price is 15.00 1/8 and the avg. is about 60 1/8 ..

For that kind of drive I`d have to be able to sell 10+ LBS. and be back for supper! The problem is getting there on the right day/time when they are open for venders.My recomendation can be checked by internet or 800 number 24/7. I`d be happy to get average of $3000 a pound for GDP and God`s Gift this time of year.:harvest:

B

brookstown

my advice is if you dont know, then you need to be around the business much longer before you try and dive right in. why should longtime vendors tell you how to cut into their business? its hard enough in california with all the competition.

lol

B

brookstown

WTF is wrong with you man? I am serious, when someones drops a lb for 1900 you are basically telling every other grower "fuck you!"

This kind of shit is what makes it harder for everybody, you really should take it out of state instead. Thanks for nothing.

lol, are you paying his bills? It's his money he spent it and he can do with it what ever he likes. Arogance

and take it out of state? what an idiot.

B

brookstown

The market is all screwed up for reasons already mentioned on here. Something not mentioned (or at least I didn't notice it) is that people don't know what they got and are blinded by a couple of bills. Also, you gotta be fair with your pricing. If the place has a $50 or $45 cap which a lot of places now have, you can't honestly expect too much from that place. It's gotta be worth it to them. $50 an 1/8 means they're making $400 an ounce and that's assuming they sell it an 1/8 at a time because a lot of places with $50 a cap will give patients an ounce special anywhere from $320-$350. Now why would the dude pay you $250 an ounce ($4,000 lb) only to resell it for $320-$350? Those places will push the meds they got for a lot less because their profit is higher considering their cap. Having said that, if you got what their patients want, they'll give you more simply because they resell more even if they make less. It balances out at the end, but then you gotta be able to supply a good amount because the patients come to expect it and you can't have it on the menu for a week then off for 2 months then back for a week.

Then you get the idiots that think their stuff is gold and ask for ridiculous amounts they've only heard about.

My 2 cents is to find a place that wants your stuff and whatever they give you is fair for both of you and stick with that place. Don't be a vendor whore (no offense to anyone). I think their has to be that loyalty factor. Sometimes you'll have a grow that's not as perfect as a previous one and rest assured you'll be taken care of because of your relationship

DAMN! Everything he just said!

vector

vector

Originally Posted by OZUT View Post

I agree. Whats also happening is the overall quality of dispensaries is slowly dropping. Its simple economics. You make much more money selling $45 eights from a $1500 pound than you do from selling $65 eights from a $4000 pound.

Its in the financial interest of the dispensary owners to pay for lower quality. The patients are not going anywhere even though the quality has been dropping for the last few years. Its hard to notice when the quality of your weed slowly gets worse over a period of a year, especially if your not a grower.

I used to get 5K per elbow for my best shit. Now its hard to even pull 4.4K. I have been working on a system which I think will help expose the lack of quality at dispensaries. Ill be at hempcon SJ..... anyone want to meet up to discuss?

Blaze

Blaze

As one of my friends put it "there were a ton of C+ students this last year." Or in other words the market has been totally flooded out by tons and tons of average and below average product which brings the price down for everyone. Plus the bottom line is your average smoker is not a connoisseur and does not usually care as much about getting "the best." IMO your average smoker/consumer wants what most consumers want - a decent product at a fair price, not the best product at the highest price.

Not only that but if you haven't noticed, the economy sucks. People are out of work and out of money. A lot of people figure why pay $50-$70 an eight when they can buy something almost as good for $15-$20 eight? Getting three times as much bud for the same price is a big incentive when you are broke.

It's all supply and demand - basic economics. More is being produce in California that is being consumed, a LOT more. Buyers can be a lot more picky and selective now. I mean why would you pay $4500 a lb when they can get something just as good for a $1000 or more less?

vector

vector

Blaze - I hear what your saying but I seriously doubt you can get a $1000 P that is super high quality. Anyone grower selling a high quality P for $1000 is going out of business.

hiboy

hiboy

Top shelf sfvog in so cali was getting 4k an elbow.\
its dropped to 38 ish.\\
im happy getting 32-35 these days

Blaze

Blaze

Blaze - I hear what your saying but I seriously doubt you can get a $1000 P that is super high quality. Anyone grower selling a high quality P for $1000 is going out of business.

Yeah I agree you can't get a high quality P for $1000 , no way, at least not yet. What I meant is you can get high quality P's for $1000 less than what they were going for a year or two ago. If you can get some high quality indoor for $3000 or $3500 a P (which is pretty easy to do at this point) why would you go and pay $4000 or $4500 for something just as good? It just doesn't make any sense from a business point of view.

N

nahikuroots

No one here has addressed the fact that the newest trend is to test for potency (percentage of THC,CBD's & CBN's). I am fine with this because it helps to quantify quality (besides smell,look,taste & high). Since I try to take pride in my work this works out in my favor. I have always said "I am not a fan of pretty weed that isn't stoney or stoney weed that isn't pretty because I know there is pretty, stoney weed out there." The question is who will end up bearing the cost of testing? The Seller or the Buyer? And how accurate of a reading is testing one nug out of pounds?
It seems to me the essence of this problem is that we are in the midst of a transition from a black market to a legitimate business. All these challenges we are facing are just symptoms of an unregulated industry. Here is the part that makes me sad, as familiar as we all are with the unethical treatment we get from corporations on a day to day basis most people in this industry are sprinting into step to follow those models.
Whether its using chemicals without conscience, industrializing and undervaluing labor or lack of unionization, morals take a back seat when dealing with a bottom line.
I met a guy in the NorCal Hills who is "Proud to be a purveyor of Bamma" Meaning he would rather produce 100+ lbs of product he payed little attention to while growing then dried in less than a week using dehumidifiers and heater so he could sell it for 1800-2000. He couldn't care less about proper growing/curing techniques and last I saw him he was busy trying to eliminate his trimming costs by implementing one of the many industrial trimmers available now. I have nothing but contempt for this style but I understand it because it is all around us. We all love to go to a market and be able to buy fruits/vegetables year round but most times we don't acknowledge who bears the costs to make that happen. The farmer usually gets economically bullied by big business and barely makes a living. Some may think it was as easy as voting "No" on Prop 19 but it is useless to be afraid of big business if we just become them. Some sort of regulation/union is going to be necessary because of the ever present Horatio Alger myth in our society that is now being combined with laziness in the digital age.
I don't care for Dispensaries much but they are a necessary evil (I like to spend my time growing not selling). Harborside has a clean environment but has policies that annoy me. <http://www.harborsidehealthcenter.com/vendors.html> Grading the lbs (taking out the nickel or less sized nugs which can be bought for half price) and basing price on "bag appeal" obviously has nothing to do with "medical" quality. To me it is just a subtle manipulation to bring down the overall price paid because they sell mostly 1/4 & 1/8 and nothing over an Oz. so it is all broken down anyway. It seems like the real goal is to make sure and get the "standard" of American business which is at least a 100% mark-up on products purchased and sold.
I heard this quote recently "Capitalism is a system where those with discipline take advantage of those without it" So I say be disciplined because the only constant is change! Vending to Dispensaries is a job in itself and must be approached that way. Know your value,how much you invested and don't be lowballed. Of course if you don't have the discipline to not over extend yourself then you may end up desperate and be "forced" to selfishly undercut the rest of us. The struggle continues :) ........

H

humblefish

1800-2000 for crap, roots? I'll be surprised if i get 2 a bow for organic, slow cured kush in sac when I go out tomorrow. y'all think san jose might be kinder to me?

F

FatFreddysKat

Fuck you guys get money for your goods?????Well I guess not much nowadays, what a shame!!!
Damn I'm happy my patients pay for all my expenses and I get some free bud!!!
Of course it helps I'm retired , but sure would be nice to have some extra funds.

Zonkerly

Zonkerly

Clone Price

I just had 12 SK#1 and got 5.00 each at a local shop.They were about 2 weeks old and 5 to 7 in tall. Was that a fair price? I felt it was,they sell them for 10.00 each there.:cash

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
if they sold them for 10 then thats pretty much the norm - if they were asking 20 that would be lame

Top Bottom